Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Are you on the latest version of UD?  I have fixed some php warnings causing that issue.

If I can get a report on the php warning, I can issue a new release of UD to fix that.  Maybe you can update. set up PHP Settings, create the warning and post it so I can fix it?

Sure, I'll update tmr and then post it

Edit: yes UD is updated to the latest version

Edited by actonice
22 hours ago, dlandon said:

Are you on the latest version of UD?  I have fixed some php warnings causing that issue.

If I can get a report on the php warning, I can issue a new release of UD to fix that.  Maybe you can update. set up PHP Settings, create the warning and post it so I can fix it?

I updated to 6.12.10 the issue seems to just not happen in this version, so there is nothing in the log that i could post.

[solved] took a while to show up "mount" as not greyed out 😄 

Hello everyone,

First of all, I am an absolute beginner in unraid. I would like to mount a cloud share (hetzner storebox) via nfs or SMB in unraid and then use this drive for backups e.g.: via Luyc

When I create an NFS or SMB with unassigned, a green tick appears at the end - but the share cannot be mounted, the button is grayed out

Could someone please tell / show me step by step what to do to mount an smb or NFS share from Hetzner Storagebox?

Would be really very kind of you - thanks to all who read this and even more to all who answer 😄

Regards

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Edited by Darklirah
Problem solved
2 hours ago, Darklirah said:

Hello everyone,

First of all, I am an absolute beginner in unraid. I would like to mount a cloud share (hetzner storebox) via nfs or SMB in unraid and then use this drive for backups e.g.: via Luyc

When I create an NFS or SMB with unassigned, a green tick appears at the end - but the share cannot be mounted, the button is grayed out

Could someone please tell / show me step by step what to do to mount an smb or NFS share from Hetzner Storagebox?

Would be really very kind of you - thanks to all who read this and even more to all who answer 😄

Regards

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Post diagnostics.

34 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Samba is crashing.  Go to a command line and type 'testparm -v' and see if it reports any errors.

testparm -v
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Loaded services file OK.
Weak crypto is allowed by GnuTLS (e.g. NTLM as a compatibility fallback)

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Is there anything more I can check? 

Thank you @dlandon

1 minute ago, TateM said:

testparm -v
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Loaded services file OK.
Weak crypto is allowed by GnuTLS (e.g. NTLM as a compatibility fallback)

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Is there anything more I can check? 

Thank you @dlandon

Does testparm show your SMB share that is exported?  It does not show in the diagnostics.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Does testparm show your SMB share that is exported?  It does not show in the diagnostics.

Above is all I get, I disabled SMB 17th of July due to believing the memory consumption was a bug of SMB - but it's here again without SMB.

3 minutes ago, TateM said:

Above is all I get, I disabled SMB 17th of July due to believing the memory consumption was a bug of SMB - but it's here again without SMB.

You have a php error:

[10-Jul-2024 15:23:30 Europe/Berlin] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught ValueError: Path cannot be empty in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/community.applications/include/exec.php:1068
Stack trace:
#0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/community.applications/include/exec.php(1068): file_get_contents('')
#1 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/community.applications/include/exec.php(86): force_update()
#2 {main}
  thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/community.applications/include/exec.php on line 1068

I don't think this is your problem, but may indicate an issue that might cause this issue.

Install the Fix Common Problems plugin and see if it indicates any problems.

Your original post was about UD.  UD is not installed according to your diagnostics.  You should post your issue on the Unraid 6.12.10 forum and see if you can get help there.

• Thanks 1

Can't mount NFS since upgrade to 7.0. Finds it fine, just wont mount it.

Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher'...
Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o rw,soft,relatime,retrans=4,timeo=300 '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' '/mnt/remotes/192.168.0.40_rancher'
Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs: mounting 192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory'.
Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' failed to mount.

thelibrary-diagnostics-20240802-2209.zip

Edited by DuzAwe
1 hour ago, DuzAwe said:

Can't mount NFS since upgrade to 7.0. Finds it fine, just wont mount it.

Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher'...
Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o rw,soft,relatime,retrans=4,timeo=300 '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' '/mnt/remotes/192.168.0.40_rancher'
Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs: mounting 192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory'.
Aug  2 22:08:38 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' failed to mount.

thelibrary-diagnostics-20240802-2209.zip 261.98 kB · 1 download

The remote mount seems odd: /var/lib/rancher.  Check that the directory is a correct mount point and it is exported properly.

21 minutes ago, DuzAwe said:

It was mounted a few days ago. Had been mounted since the last time I posted about an issue. So a few months.

The same path mounts with samba.

Verify it is exported with NFS.  Check the exports file.

11 hours ago, dlandon said:

Verify it is exported with NFS.  Check the exports file.

/var/lib/rancher        *(rw,async,no_subtree_check,anongid=100,anonuid=99,no_root_squash)
#/var/lib/rancher        192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,subtree_check,fsid=0)

root@PiBox:~# exportfs -rav
exporting *:/mnt/dietpi_userdata
exporting *:/var/lib/rancher

Samba mounts no issues. NFS has stopped working, It was working according to my logs at 11am on the 2nd and stopped by 6pm.

Screenshot 2024-08-03 123107.png

2 hours ago, DuzAwe said:

/var/lib/rancher        *(rw,async,no_subtree_check,anongid=100,anonuid=99,no_root_squash)
#/var/lib/rancher        192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,subtree_check,fsid=0)

root@PiBox:~# exportfs -rav
exporting *:/mnt/dietpi_userdata
exporting *:/var/lib/rancher

Samba mounts no issues. NFS has stopped working, It was working according to my logs at 11am on the 2nd and stopped by 6pm.

Screenshot 2024-08-03 123107.png

Try adding fsid to the uncommented line.

35 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Try adding fsid to the uncommented line.

Done! Still no change. I can list and see the mount available but it won't mount. Via CLI or the plugin.

Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher'...
Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o rw,soft,relatime,retrans=4,timeo=300 '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' '/mnt/remotes/192.168.0.40_rancher'
Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs: mounting 192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory'.
Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' failed to mount.

4 hours ago, DuzAwe said:

Done! Still no change. I can list and see the mount available but it won't mount. Via CLI or the plugin.

Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher'...
Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o rw,soft,relatime,retrans=4,timeo=300 '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' '/mnt/remotes/192.168.0.40_rancher'
Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs: mounting 192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory'.
Aug  3 15:50:27 TheLibrary unassigned.devices: Remote Share '192.168.0.40:/var/lib/rancher' failed to mount.

You said everything was working fine, and then it didn't.  What changed?  An update somewhere?

Maybe check permissions on the remote server?

2 hours ago, DuzAwe said:

There were no changes to the remote around the time it stopped mounting. Last package update was a few weeks ago.

The only change is Unraid 6.12 -> 7

The error you are experiencing is because the remote server is reporting the directory does not exist.

I would try removing the remote mount from UD and then recreating it.  I guess there is a remote possibility the configuration entry got corrupted.

After rebooting, why do I have to remove and re-add NFS shares to mount them?

I have a pair of of shares that look like this:

image.png.82174d617ec6955272e13c2b17b677ce.png

MOUNT is always grayed out and inoperable after a reboot. I have to remove one of the two shares, then re-add that share, before either share can be mounted.

Beyond that, even after mounting one of the shares, they seem to time out after a while, so I have to unmount and remount (at least not remove and re-add) the shares to use them.

These shares are provided by a separate Unraid server. Both arrays are running Unraid 6.12.10.

Edited by RasterEyes
9 minutes ago, RasterEyes said:

After rebooting, why do I have to remove and re-add NFS shares to mount them?

I have a pair of of shares that look like this:

image.png.82174d617ec6955272e13c2b17b677ce.png

MOUNT is always grayed out and inoperable after a reboot. I have to remove one of the two shares, then re-add that share, before either share can be mounted.

Beyond that, even after mounting one of the shares, they seem to time out after a while, so I have to unmount and remount (at least not remove and re-add) the shares to use them.

These shares are provided by a separate Unraid server. Both arrays are running Unraid 6.12.10.

The grayed out 'Mount' and orb next to the 'NFS' share type means that UD thinks the remote server is offline.

Post diagnostics.

I've not had the above issue with V7 but I have noticed that when I try to access the UD device for installing VM's that the "disks" directory no longer shows up as a directory choice. The drive is mounted and functions properly if I manually type the path but it doesn't show itself.

In the past it would show "disks" which was the path to my UD devices

image.png.e7d3f9bdc22e019ae6b4951e6f01b823.png

1 hour ago, ejg3855 said:

I've not had the above issue with V7 but I have noticed that when I try to access the UD device for installing VM's that the "disks" directory no longer shows up as a directory choice. The drive is mounted and functions properly if I manually type the path but it doesn't show itself.

In the past it would show "disks" which was the path to my UD devices

image.png.e7d3f9bdc22e019ae6b4951e6f01b823.png

This is fixed in the next release of V7.0.

Hello all.... I am plagued by the SAMBA mount issue, and it has me offline since yesterday. I swear on 3 decades of sysad that the credentials did not change, that all other systems are able to see the share, that there is network connectivity between unraid and the share, etc. My great error was daring to reboot my unraid machine, which I always fear to do, because samba is always an absolute battle to mount... is it set to auto mount? yes. Has it ever in the history of ever managed to auto mount? no. Typical workflow is to add new samba, scan to discover shares, and when it finds the share as an option, cancel it, and there's a 25% chance that the mount button lights up, else try again over and over until it does. Well, this time that isn't working anymore. The mount button is active, and it just keep timing out. I'm about at my wits end with this (it wasn't a long trip.... ), and throw myself at the mercy of the community to beg assistance before I have to purchase a different solution, but I cant keep living like this, its killing production.

image.thumb.png.0c068cf9f359f813aebc092524c77f2e.png