Remove disk in Array.

frodr

Hi,

What is the procedure for keeping a disks data and then remove it permanently from the Array?

The manual only partly explains it:

Remove One or More Data Disks

In this case the missing disk(s) will be identified. If there is only one missing disk when you start the array it will be marked as failed. All data disks will be exported (including the missing one), but the system will be running unprotected; that is, if a disk fails you will lose data.

Cheers,

Frode

I would :

- make a parity check to be sure everything is OK with the drives and the data

- make sure all data is where it should (in or out of the drive you want to remove)

- note the position of each drive in the array & cache + pools

- make a new config

- rebuild parity

But I would wait for more experienced user before going ahead, not just take MY opinion on it. ;) 

Last time I removed a drive.  I used unBALANCE to move all the data off the disk I wanted to remove.  There are some good videos on YouTube if you have never used unBALANCE.   Then followed this procedure.  I preferred this method since it allowed me to maintain parity during then entire removal.  Obviously MAKE SURE you have the right disk and have no data left on it before proceeding.

9 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

Last time I removed a drive.  I used unBALANCE to move all the data off the disk I wanted to remove.  There are some good videos on YouTube if you have never used unBALANCE.   Then followed this procedure.  I preferred this method since it allowed me to maintain parity during then entire removal.  Obviously MAKE SURE you have the right disk and have no data left on it before proceeding.

That's what I was thinking also on my initial post, but then I saw :

4 hours ago, frodr said:

for keeping a disks data

In that situation, it is a different problem.

Move all data from disk to be removed to other disks using unBALANCE or otherwise.

44 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

Then followed this procedure.

Some haven't had success with the clear and remove method mentioned in that link and it doesn't save any time, but if it works for you it does maintain parity. And no harm to try it. If it doesn't work you can just New Config without the disk and rebuild parity instead.

Either way a good idea to check parity after.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to but in...
I have three drives to remove, they are good drives (just shrinking array) and I have moved the data from each disk to different disks (yes I used disk to disk and not shares).
I notice that there are small amounts of data left on the disks but nothing physically shows on the disks in krusader. Should i at this point just reformat these disks per 'clear drive then remove method' and continue or is there an easier way to do this?

empty drives.jpg