2.5GbE -- intel z490 vs amd x570


Recommended Posts

Tl;DR; Mental notes for my quest to figure out what I wanted to build and why. Figured others may benefit from my thought vomit.

Thoughts only valid upto Nov 2020. As I'm sure things will change with newer chipsets/cpus.

 

Quick history:

I started using unraid 7+ years ago back before vm/docker/dual nic/etc were a thing.

I've been wanting to upgrade my aging setup for a bit now as its resources are a limiting factor to doing vm or certain plugins.

 

My setup:

Nexus Prominent 9 w/ 3x Norco SS-500 (5in3 bays) with Intel i3-3220, 4G ram, and two sas expanders.

A SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (PCIe x4) that only does 3.0Gbps and LSI SAS 9207-8i (PCIe 3.0 x8).

Right now I have 12 drives (10 data, 1 parity, 1 cache ssd).

 

I had hope to be at 10G by now but with the current state of things it is still too pricey/

, 2.5G is the growing trend where lots of things are going after Aquantia got bought.

10GbE is still too pricey/loud to justify being an early adopter at this moment.

 

I just picked up QNAP's fanless+unmanaged 5x 2.5 GbE switch (~100$) // https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qsw-1105-5t

 

The plan is to drop the MV8 and only use the LSI expander (so 8 drives there) but the rest need to be handled by the mobo (~6).

I picked up a 1TB nvme drive (970 Evo Plus) that was on sale for BF. So will need to do at least one M.2.

 

Cost vs Heat, I figure a 65W TDP 8 core, 16 thread cpus like Ryzen 3700X (3.6GHz) or Intel i7-10700 (2.9GHz) would be perfect.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-10700/3485vs3747

This would give me enough cores for flexibility, future growth. Either case would be a big jump from my aging Intel i3 2C4T cpu.

* Ryzen 5 5600X (6C12T) at 65W would be fine too.. but $ and out of stock. So I drop that idea plus there should* be some decent deals for the holidays as everyone wants to clear out the older cpus.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Intel vs AMD

 

Trying to decide which is better means a lot of variables have to be considered.

Even with so many variants of motherboards this generation they are pricery than ever (there is motherboards over $1,000!).

Looking at the $250-350 range is 'mid range' which is a bit crazy but is the norm and something that comes with trying to use the latest and greatest chipsets with features that are aimed towards content creators/gamers.

 

BTW, you can put a PCIe x1 card (or x4 or x8) card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine.

The lane count is automatically negotiated during device initialization, which can take lanes away from other slots if they are shared.

 

igpu / apu:

The perk of going with Intel is that you get igpu and save having to waste a PCIe slot.

However, you can pick up a silent Zotac GT710 for ~$50 to toss in an PCIe x1 slot and save those x16/x8 slots for things that actually need the bandwidth.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gt-710-1gb-pcie-x-1

 

sata ports:

Having lots of SATA + M.2 is problem with Intel or older AMD because SATA ports get disabled or PCIe slots slowed/disabled due to limited PCIe lanes.
If going Intel you have to look at Comet Lake (LGA 1200), q470/z490 or w480 (xenon).
If going AMD you want to focus on x570. Avoid B550 due to bad iommu grouping and reduced lanes.

 

nics:

2.5GbE and the drama - https://wccftech.com/intel-400-series-chipsets-z490-i225-v-network-controller-issue-fix-2h-2020/

Intel's i225 "Foxville" family of 2.5 Gbps wired Ethernet controllers have a design flaw that affects performance. There is a variance in the inter-packet gap (IPG), the interval between data packets transmitted on the physical layer. This variance can cause packet loss, resulting in reduced throughput (i.e. a performance loss). The 'fix' is an updated driver/firmware that forces the NIC to use 1G to prevent the problem. Overall Intel z490 and intel own 2.5G nic is to be avoided until the fixed hardware comes in Rocket Lake.

This is why you see mobo's switched from Intel to Realtek/Dragon/Marvell (Aquantia) for 2.5G on newer boards.

 

memory:

Intel is a bit behind from supporting higher clocks natively but most ram have intel+amd profiles and play nice.

Could go the route of doing 2x16GB to start off then add two more later.. but 2x32GB is not that badly priced.

- G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) - F4-3600C18D-64GVK

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Intel:

 

 

Looking for Z490 boards that do 2.5GbE that is not provided by Intels's own and could do M.2 with minimal SATA being affected was tedious.

If the board does 3x M.2 then there is usually you can get away with one NVMe drive without impact. But most have the common order that if you put a M.2 in the 2nd slot then it disables one SATA and if you do the 3rd slot then it takes away two SATA ports. So that 6 onboard SATA could be much less.

While I could find many Intel based motherboards for cheaper than AMD equals, the CPU not only costed more but usually came with higher TDP or less core count.

 

ASUS Z490 ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI)

 

PCIe:

  • 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
  • 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x4 mode) *
  • 3 x PCIe 3.0 x1

Networking:

  • Intel I219-V 1Gb Ethernet
  • Marvell AQtion AQC111C 5Gb Ethernet (100M/1G/2.5G/5G)

SATA:

  • 6 x SATA 6Gb/s
  • 3x M.2

You lose one sata if m.2_1 is used. * You lose one pcie slot if m2._2 is used at x2 or just reduced speed if m2 is at x1.

So if only one nvme drive, you can use m.2_3 and not take a hit anywhere else.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

AMD:

 

While looking around it became clear that if I was going to do 2.5GbE with 8 SATA ports that really only leaves Asus and AsRock.

For the price, ASUS looks like the better offering and it these two boards are my current picks:

 

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

>  One extra x1 PCIe 4.0 slot (that is shared with PCIe x16_3), cheaper.

PCIe:

  • 2 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
  • 1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (supports x4) *
  • 2 x PCIe 4.0 x1

     * The PCIeX16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIeX1_2.

Networking:

  • Intel® I211-AT
  • Realtek® RTL8125-CG (2.5G)

SATA:

  • 8 x SATA 6Gb/s
  • 2x M.2

 

or

 

ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

> Better for overclocking and more usb.. not worth the extra money for me. But have seen some deals.

PCIe:

  • 2 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
  • 1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (supports x4) *
  • 1 x PCIe 4.0 x1

Networking:

  • Intel® I211-AT
  • Realtek® RTL8125-CG (2.5G)

SATA:

  • 8 x SATA 6Gb/s
  • 2x M.2

 

Looking at other motherboards, there are some other ones but cost more money than ASUS's:

MSI X570 * - 4 sata or limited expansion slots.. no good options at all.

ASRock X570 Aqua - has everything in the world, which explains the price tag.

ASRock X570 Creator - has Aquantia 10GbE + Intel Gigabit, 8 sata, 3 PCIe 4.0 x16, 3 PCIe 2.0 x1.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER (rev 1.2) - has Realtek 2.5G, only 6 sata

Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME  (rev 1.1) - has Aquantia 10GbE + Intel Gigabit, only 6 sata, no x1 PCIe, 3x M.2.. but lots more money.

 

 

 

Edited by zoggy
added note about 5600X
Link to comment

I had a whole blurp about buying the addon card rather than trying to get everything natively since it makes the motherboard options limited and at a higher price (especially for 10GbE). Right now there has been a run on X570 boards so its even harder to find decently priced options with 1G+ nics.

 

I had eyed Aquantia stuff for awhile but never bit due to lack of consumer switches that were decently priced. Then as some stuff came out then they got bought out by Marvell and the stand alone cards pretty much dried up (asus still has their one, ~$100). Then you saw the blip of 10GbE included on motherboards for a season then everyone stopped due to lack of adoption and higher price. Now you only see the 10GbE included on the content creator/ultra prem gaming boards that are $$$.

 

Edited by zoggy
Link to comment

My current desktop machine is a 3950x on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro, using a AQC107 for 10G. I looked at the X570 "creator" class of boards, but they are way overpriced in what they offer in my eyes. 240 EUR for the X570 Aorus Pro vs 356 EUR for the Aorus Master with 2.5G or 730 EUR for the Aorus XTREME with the same AQC107 chipset, but onboard. I'm happy with the 60 EUR card :)

If you want 10G just on your workstation and server it can be done cheap. Two Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards with a DAC cable is what I used to run here. Downside is you need to have the two machines recently close together. To change that I recently bought the newly released Microtik CSS610-8G-2S+IN switch (8x 1G + 2x SFP+) for less than 100 EUR. Which is excellent for my setup. It's the cheapest and most flexible way to get some 10G on your network and not have to use a different subnet between the server and workstation on a direct link. You can either use two DAC cables right to the switch or use MikroTik S+RJ10r2 SFP+ modules to hook them up on RJ45 with AQC107 cards to have some more flexibility in regards to distance.

 

It's a big plus to be able to hook it all up to the existing 1G network and not have to fiddle around with a different subnet for the connection between workstation and server that I used before. My intention is hook it up to my main 24 port Unifi switch with 4x 1G and link aggregation so both my workstation and Unraid server can access all the other machines in the house and the 1G Internet connection without saturating the current 1G uplink.

Link to comment

The mellanox solution does not work for me (the server and nas are not in the same room) but it is something I've thought about.

Cat7 is already pre-wired in the house which is why I stubbornly wanted to utilize that route instead.

 

~$100 - ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter PCI-E x4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port

  -- x4 card, so would eat up PCIe larger slot but deff works with unraid

 

~$60 - ASUS PCE-C2500 2.5G Base-T PCIe x1 Card (2.5G/1G/100Mbps) with Single RJ45 Port

 -- x1 card, so much more flexibility but not sure of unraid support due to how new it is

 

$20 - Rosewill RC-20001 2.5GBASE-T PCIe x1 Card (supposedly they use Realtek 8125)

 -- per this thread, looks like realtek 8125 only does 1G with unraid driver:

 

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, CSIG1001 said:

can someone  explain why my 2.5gbps port is not working ?  I have unraid not in beta.

 

Asus Z490 -G z490 mobo

 

I am totally lost.  On boot up line 241 says missing folder directory for ipv6

 

what is going on ? My  z370 mobo worked great with the lan

 

 

any idea?

The drivers are very new to the Linux kernel, only the 6.9 beta has the newer kernel that supports these.

Link to comment
22 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

The drivers are very new to the Linux kernel, only the 6.9 beta has the newer kernel that supports these.

yep i figured it out.


Now my dam auto fan plugin is not working , and due to my case and temps where my hdds are at I need this to work .

Running a z490 mobo asus gaming -E ROG strix.

 

Come on unraid such a PIA

Link to comment

Went ahead and picked up the ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

Updated to latest bios 11/24/2020 (version 2702). Enabled SVM.

 

Installed nvme m.2 drive in bottom slot (group 21), LSI card in bottom x16 (group 25) and video in x1 slot (group 23).

Moved drives over to new mobo and all came up without any effort with 6.8.3.

 

IOMMU Groups:

IOMMU group 0:	[1022:1482] 00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 1:	[1022:1483] 00:01.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 2:	[1022:1482] 00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 3:	[1022:1482] 00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 4:	[1022:1483] 00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 5:	[1022:1482] 00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 6:	[1022:1482] 00:05.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 7:	[1022:1482] 00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 8:	[1022:1484] 00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to bus[E:B]
IOMMU group 9:	[1022:1482] 00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 10:	[1022:1484] 00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to bus[E:B]
IOMMU group 11:	[1022:790b] 00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)
	[1022:790e] 00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
IOMMU group 12:	[1022:1440] 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 0
	[1022:1441] 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 1
	[1022:1442] 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 2
	[1022:1443] 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 3
	[1022:1444] 00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 4
	[1022:1445] 00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 5
	[1022:1446] 00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 6
	[1022:1447] 00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 7
IOMMU group 13:	[1022:57ad] 01:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Switch Upstream
IOMMU group 14:	[1022:57a3] 02:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 15:	[1022:57a3] 02:03.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 16:	[1022:57a3] 02:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 17:	[1022:57a3] 02:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 18:	[1022:57a4] 02:08.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
	[1022:1485] 07:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Reserved SPP
	[1022:149c] 07:00.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
	[1022:149c] 07:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
IOMMU group 19:	[1022:57a4] 02:09.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
	[1022:7901] 08:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
IOMMU group 20:	[1022:57a4] 02:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
	[1022:7901] 09:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
IOMMU group 21:	[144d:a808] 03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
IOMMU group 22:	[10ec:8125] 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
IOMMU group 23:	[10de:128b] 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
	[10de:0e0f] 05:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 24:	[8086:1539] 06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
IOMMU group 25:	[1000:0087] 0a:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)
IOMMU group 26:	[1022:148a] 0b:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function
IOMMU group 27:	[1022:1485] 0c:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Reserved SPP
IOMMU group 28:	[1022:1486] 0c:00.1 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Cryptographic Coprocessor PSPCPP
IOMMU group 29:	[1022:149c] 0c:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
IOMMU group 30:	[1022:1487] 0c:00.4 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller

 

Edited by zoggy
Link to comment
On 12/2/2020 at 5:22 AM, zoggy said:

Went ahead and picked up the ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

Updated to latest bios 11/24/2020 (version 2702). Enabled SVM.

 

Installed nvme m.2 drive in bottom slot (group 21), LSI card in bottom x16 (group 25) and video in x1 slot (group 23).

Moved drives over to new mobo and all came up without any effort with 6.8.3.

 

IOMMU Groups:


IOMMU group 0:	[1022:1482] 00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 1:	[1022:1483] 00:01.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 2:	[1022:1482] 00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 3:	[1022:1482] 00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 4:	[1022:1483] 00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 5:	[1022:1482] 00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 6:	[1022:1482] 00:05.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 7:	[1022:1482] 00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 8:	[1022:1484] 00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to bus[E:B]
IOMMU group 9:	[1022:1482] 00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 10:	[1022:1484] 00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to bus[E:B]
IOMMU group 11:	[1022:790b] 00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)
	[1022:790e] 00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
IOMMU group 12:	[1022:1440] 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 0
	[1022:1441] 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 1
	[1022:1442] 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 2
	[1022:1443] 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 3
	[1022:1444] 00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 4
	[1022:1445] 00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 5
	[1022:1446] 00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 6
	[1022:1447] 00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 7
IOMMU group 13:	[1022:57ad] 01:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Switch Upstream
IOMMU group 14:	[1022:57a3] 02:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 15:	[1022:57a3] 02:03.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 16:	[1022:57a3] 02:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 17:	[1022:57a3] 02:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 18:	[1022:57a4] 02:08.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
	[1022:1485] 07:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Reserved SPP
	[1022:149c] 07:00.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
	[1022:149c] 07:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
IOMMU group 19:	[1022:57a4] 02:09.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
	[1022:7901] 08:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
IOMMU group 20:	[1022:57a4] 02:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge
	[1022:7901] 09:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
IOMMU group 21:	[144d:a808] 03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
IOMMU group 22:	[10ec:8125] 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
IOMMU group 23:	[10de:128b] 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
	[10de:0e0f] 05:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 24:	[8086:1539] 06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
IOMMU group 25:	[1000:0087] 0a:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)
IOMMU group 26:	[1022:148a] 0b:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function
IOMMU group 27:	[1022:1485] 0c:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Reserved SPP
IOMMU group 28:	[1022:1486] 0c:00.1 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Cryptographic Coprocessor PSPCPP
IOMMU group 29:	[1022:149c] 0c:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
IOMMU group 30:	[1022:1487] 0c:00.4 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller

 

Tempted to get that board myself. Do you have cpu/motherboard temps working?

Link to comment

loaded up perl and Dynamix System Temp, it detected "k10temp nct6775" but not showing any temp probes. Looking around it looks like ryzen 3000 requires newer kernel than what comes with 6.8.3 to get stuff to detect properly. I do not want to run 6.9.x betas..  so I'll come back to this once I can test with my backup unraid flash and no drives connected.

Edited by zoggy
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

loaded up 6.9 rc1, can confirm I get temps now, no fans though

 

doing sensors-detect then loading what it suggest, I can see:

# sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Vcore:       913.00 mV
Vsoc:          1.09 V
Tctl:         +39.8°C
CPU Temp:     +39.8°C
MB Temp:      +32.8°C
Icore:         0.00 A
Isoc:          7.50 A

nvme-pci-0300
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +31.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +84.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +31.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +35.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

 

firefox_2020-12-11_21-30-28[1].png

Link to comment

Also while on 6.9.0-rc1, Hooked the 2.5G motherboard port to my 2.5G switch (just quick test to see what unraid nego the RTL8125 port as) and sure confirm it does 2.5G. Testing on 6.8.3 it looks like it will do 2.5G there as well. So weekend project now to replace switch then iperf

firefox_2020-12-11_21-43-23[1].png

Edited by zoggy
Link to comment

I am in the process of building my first unraid server for NAS (7 mixed sizes SATA disks and 1x512 nvme). I will be also have a Plex server VM and several docker containers such as HomeAssistant.
 
My final choices came down to:

  1. Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero or (Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming) and Ryzen 7 3700X
  2. MSI Z490 Tomahawk (or Asrock z490 Steel) and Core i7-10700
  3. SuperMicro X11SCL-F with Intel Xeon E-2278G Coffee Lake

After reading your post and how smoothly you upgraded your system without any issues, I think I will go with option 1. How is power consumption?
Which GPU ( looking for 1050Ti) card are you using?

Edited by Zentachi
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Zentachi said:

I am in the process of building my first unraid server for NAS (7 mixed sizes SATA disks and 1x512 nvme). I will be also have a Plex server VM and several docker containers such as HomeAssistant.
 
My final choices came down to:

  1. Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero or (Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming) and Ryzen 7 3700X
  2. MSI Z490 Tomahawk (or Asrock z490 Steel) and Core i7-10700
  3. SuperMicro X11SCL-F with Intel Xeon E-2278G Coffee Lake

After reading your post and how smoothly you upgraded your system without any issues, I think I will go with option 1. How is power consumption?
What LSI (looking for LSI 9201-8i or LSI 9211-8i) and GPU ( looking for 1050Ti) cards are you using?

 

I have the LSI SAS 9207-8i - which if you compare the others it does pcie 3.0 and x8, so no bottle neck for mechanical drives. (most others are pcie 2.0)

Depending on what firmware comes with the card, you may have to flash it into IT mode (so it doesnt try to do RAID), but pretty simple to do if you've ever updated a bios/firmware for anything before.

 

reddit post from back in the day that gave a decent overview of what was out there:

 

 

and about power usage, idling with a few dockers per the UPS module it shows the system is using 69 watts.

Edited by zoggy
Link to comment
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Plex is a very popular docker on Unraid so no reason to make a VM for it.

 

There are literally hundreds of docker applications on Unraid.


I am currently running the Plex server in its own VM, but indeed with the new setup I should actually migrate it to a docker container as well. 
 

11 minutes ago, zoggy said:

 

I have the LSI SAS 9207-8i - which if you compare the others it does pcie 3.0 and x8, so no bottle neck for mechanical drives. (most others are pcie 2.0)

Depending on what firmware comes with the card, you may have to flash it into IT mode (so it doesnt try to do RAID), but pretty simple to do if you've ever updated a bios/firmware for anything before.

 

and about power usage, idling with a few dockers per the UPS module it shows the system is using 69 watts.


I found out about the LSI by re-reading your initial post, but in any case the reddit link is very helpful! 
Thanks for the power consumption figure. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.