• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-beta29 available

limetech

Back in the saddle ... Sorry for the long delay in publishing this release.  Aside from including some delicate coding, this release was delayed due to several team members, chiefly myself, having to deal with various non-work-related challenges which greatly slowed the pace of development.  That said, there is quite a bit in this release, LimeTech is growing and we have many exciting features in the pipe - more on that in the weeks to come.  Thanks to everyone for their help and patience during this time.

Cheers,

-Tom

IMPORTANT: This is Beta software.  We recommend running on test servers only!

KNOWN ISSUE: with this release we have moved to the latest Linux 5.8 stable kernel.  However, we have discovered that a regression has been introduced in the mtp3sas driver used by many LSI chipsets, e.g., LSI 9201-16e.  Typically looks like this on System Devices page:

Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Meteor] (rev 02)

The problem is that devices are no longer recognized.  There are already bug reports pertaining to this issue:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209177

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1878332

We have reached out to the maintainer to see if a fix can be expedited, however we feel that we can neither revert back to 5.7 kernel nor hold the release due to this issue.  We are monitoring and will publish a release with fix asap.

ANOTHER known issue: we have added additional btrfs balance options:

• raid1c3
    • raid1c4
    • and modified the raid6 balance operation to set meta-data to raid1c3 (previously was raid1).

However, we have noticed that applying one of these balance filters to a completely empty volume leaves some data extents with the previous profile.  The solution is to simply run the same balance again.  We consider this to be a btrfs bug and if no solution is forthcoming we'll add the second balance to the code by default.  For now, it's left as-is.

THE PRIMARY FOCUS of this release is to put tools in place to help users migrate data off SSD-based pools so that those devices may be re-partitioned if necessary, and then migrate the data back.

What are we talking about?  For several years now, storage devices managed by Unraid OS are formatted with an "Unraid Standard Partition Layout".  This layout has partition 1 starting at offset 32KiB from the start of the device, and extending to the end of the device.  (For devices with 512-byte sectors, partition 1 starts in sector 64; for 4096-byte sector size devices, partition 1 starts in sector 8.)  This layout achieves maximum storage efficiency and ensures partition 1 starts on a 4096-byte boundary.

Through user reports and extensive testing however, we have noted that many modern SSD devices, in particular Samsung EVO, do not perform most efficiently using this partition layout, and the devices seem to write far more than one would expect, and with SSD, one wants to minimize writes to SSD as much as possible.

The solution to the "excessive SSD write" issue is to position partition 1 at offset 1MiB from the start of the device instead of at 32KiB.  The will both increase performance and decrease writes with affected devices.  Do you absolutely need to re-partition your SSD's?  Probably not depending on what devices you have.  Click on a device from Main, scroll down to Attributes and take a look at Data units written.  If this is increasing very rapidly then you probably would benefit by re-partitioning.

Note: if you have already (re)Formatted using previous 6.9-beta release, for SSD smaller than 2TiB the proper partition layout will appear like this on the Device Information page:

Partition format:   MBR: 1MiB-aligned

For SSD larger than 2TiB:

Partition format:   GPT: 1MiB-aligned

Here's what's in this release to help facilitate re-partitioning of SSD devices:

An Erase button which appears in the Device Information page.

The Erase button may be used to erase (delete) content from a volume. A volume is either the content of an unRAID array data disk, or the content of a pool. In the case of an unRAID disk, only that device is erased; in the case of a multiple-device pool ALL devices of the pool are erased.

The extent of Erase varies depending on whether the array is Stopped, or Started in Maintenance mode (if started in Normal mode, all volume Erase buttons are disabled).

Started/Maintenance mode: in this case the LUKS header (if any) and any file system within partition 1 is erased. The MBR (master boot record) is not erased.

Stopped - in this case, unRAID array disk volumes and pool volumes are treated a little differently:

• unRAID array disk volumes - if Parity and/or Parity2 is valid, then operation proceeds exactly as above, that is, content of only partition 1 is erased but the MBR (master boot record) is left as-is; but, if there is no valid parity, then the MBR is also erased.
    • Pool volumes - partition 1 of all devices within the pool are erased, and then the MBR is also erased.

The purpose of erasing the MBR is to permit re-partitioning of the device if required.  Upon format, Unraid OS will position partition 1 at 32KiB for HDD devices and at 1MiB for SSD devices.

Note that erase does not overwrite the storage content of a device, it simply clears the LUKS header if present (which effectively makes the device unreadable), and file system and MBR signatures.  A future Unraid OS release may include the option of overwriting the data.

Additional "Mover" capabilities.

Since SSD pools are commonly used to store vdisk images, shfs/mover is now aware of:

• sparse files - when a sparse file is moved from one volume to another, it's sparseness is preserved
    • NoCOW attribute - when a file or directory in a btrfs volume has the NoCOW attribute set, the attribute is preserved when the file or directory is moved to another btrfs volume.

Note that btrfs subvolumes are not preserved.  A future Unraid OS release may include preservation of btrfs subvolumes.

Ok how do I re-partition my SSD pools?

Outlined here are two basic methods:

1. "Mover" method - The idea is to use the Mover to copy all data from the pool to a target device in the unRAID array.  Then erase all devices of the pool, and reformat.  Finally use the Mover to copy all the data back.
    2. "Unassign/Re-assign" method - The idea here is, one-by-one, remove a device from a btrfs pool, balance the pool with reduced device count, then re-assign the device back to the pool, and balance pool back to include the device.  This works because Unraid OS will re-partition new devices added to an existing btrfs pool.  This method is not recommended for a pool with more than 2 devices since the first balance operation may be write-intensive, and writes are what we're trying to minimize.  Also it can be tricky to determine if enough free space really exists after removing a device to rebalance the pool.  Finally, this method will introduce a time window where your data is on non-redundant storage.

No matter which method, if you have absolutely critical data in the pool we strongly recommend making an independent backup first (you are already doing this right?).

Mover Method

This procedure presumes a multi-device btrfs pool containing one or more cache-only or cache-prefer shares.

1. With array Started, stop any VM's and/or Docker applications which may be accessing the pool you wish to re-partition.  Make sure no other external I/O is targeting this pool.

2. For each share on the pool, go to the Share Settings page and make some adjustments:

• change from cache-only (or cache-prefer) to cache-yes
    • assign an array disk or disks via Include mask to receive the data.  If you  wish to preserve the NoCOW attribute (Copy-on-write set to No) on files and directories, these disks should be formatted with btrfs.  Of course ensure there is enough free space to receive the data.

3. Now go back to Main and click the Move button.  This will move the data of each share to the target array disk(s).

4. Verify no data left on the pool, Stop array, click on the pool and then click the Erase button.

5. Start the array and the pool should appear Unformatted - go ahead and Format the pool (this is what will re-write the partition layout).

6. Back to Share Settings page; for each above share:

• change from cache-yes to cache-prefer

7. On Main page click Move button.  This will move data of each share back to the pool.

8. Finally, back to Share Settings page; for each share:

• change from cache-prefer back to cache-only if desired

Unassign/Re-assign Method

1. Stop array and unassign one of the devices from your existing pool; leave device unassigned.
    2. Start array.  A balance will take place on your existing pool.  Let the balance complete.
    3. Stop array.  Re-assign the device, adding it back to your existing pool.
    4. Start array.  The added device will get re-partitioned and a balance will start moving data to the new device.  Let the balance complete.
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the other device in your existing pool.

Whats happening here is this:

At the completion of step 2, btrfs will 'delete' the missing device from the volume and wipe the btrfs signature from it.

At the beginning of step 4, Unraid OS will re-partition the new device being added to an existing pool.

I don't care about preserving data in the pool.  In this case just Stop array, click on the pool and then click Erase.  Start array and Format the pool - done.  Useful to know: when Linux creates a file system in an SSD device, it will first perform a "blkdiscard" on the entire partition.  Similarly, "blkdisard" is initiated on partition 1 on a new device added to an existing btrfs pool.

What about array devices?  If you have SSD devices in the unRAID array the only  way to safely re-partition those devices is to either remove them from the array, or remove parity devices from the array.  This is because re-partitioning will invalidate parity.  Note also the volume size will be slightly smaller.

Version 6.9.0-beta29 2020-09-27 (vs -beta25)

Base distro:

• at-spi2-core: version 2.36.1
    • bash: version 5.0.018
    • bridge-utils: version 1.7
    • brotli: version 1.0.9
    • btrfs-progs: version 5.6.1
    • ca-certificates: version 20200630
    • cifs-utils: version 6.11
    • cryptsetup: version 2.3.4
    • curl: version 7.72.0 (CVE-2020-8231)
    • dbus: version 1.12.20
    • dnsmasq: version 2.82
    • docker: version 19.03.13
    • ethtool: version 5.8
    • fribidi: version 1.0.10
    • fuse3: version 3.9.3
    • git: version 2.28.0
    • glib2: version 2.66.0 build 2
    • gnutls: version 3.6.15
    • gtk+3: version 3.24.23
    • harfbuzz: version 2.7.2
    • haveged: version 1.9.13
    • htop: version 3.0.2
    • iproute2: version 5.8.0
    • iputils: version 20200821
    • jasper: version 2.0.21
    • jemalloc: version 5.2.1
    • libX11: version 1.6.12
    • libcap-ng: version 0.8
    • libevdev: version 1.9.1
    • libevent: version 2.1.12
    • libgcrypt: version 1.8.6
    • libglvnd: version 1.3.2
    • libgpg-error: version 1.39
    • libgudev: version 234
    • libidn: version 1.36
    • libpsl: version 0.21.1 build 2
    • librsvg: version 2.50.0
    • libssh: version 0.9.5
    • libvirt: version 6.6.0 (CVE-2020-14339)
    • libxkbcommon: version 1.0.1
    • libzip: version 1.7.3
    • lmdb: version 0.9.26
    • logrotate: version 3.17.0
    • lvm2: version 2.03.10
    • mc: version 4.8.25
    • mpfr: version 4.1.0
    • nano: version 5.2
    • ncurses: version 6.2_20200801
    • nginx: version 1.19.1
    • ntp: version 4.2.8p15 build 2
    • openssl-solibs: version 1.1.1h
    • openssl: version 1.1.1h
    • p11-kit: version 0.23.21
    • pango: version 1.46.2
    • php: version 7.4.10 (CVE-2020-7068)
    • qemu: version 5.1.0 (CVE-2020-10717, CVE-2020-10761)
    • rsync: version 3.2.3
    • samba: version 4.12.7 (CVE-2020-1472)
    • sqlite: version 3.33.0
    • sudo: version 1.9.3
    • sysvinit-scripts: version 2.1 build 35
    • sysvinit: version 2.97
    • ttyd: version 1.6.1
    • util-linux: version 2.36
    • wireguard-tools: version 1.0.20200827
    • xev: version 1.2.4
    • xf86-video-vesa: version 2.5.0
    • xfsprogs: version 5.8.0
    • xorg-server: version 1.20.9 build 3
    • xterm: version 360
    • xxHash: version 0.8.0

Linux kernel:

• version 5.8.12
    • kernel-firmware: version kernel-firmware-20200921_49c4ff5
    • oot: Realtek r8152: version 2.13.0
    • oot: Tehuti tn40xx: version 0.3.6.17.3

Management:

• btrfs: include 'discard=async' mount option
    • emhttpd: avoid using remount to set additional mount options
    • emhttpd: added wipefs function (webgui 'Erase' button)
    • shfs: move: support spares files
    • shfs: move: preserve ioctl_iflags when moving between same file system types
    • smb: remove setting 'aio' options in smb.conf, use samba defaults
    • webgui: Update noVNC to v1.2.0
    • webgui: Docker: more intuitive handling of images
    • webgui: VMs: more intuitive handling of image selection
    • webgui: VMs: Fixed: rare cases vdisk defaults to Auto when it should be Manual
    • webgui: VMs: Fixed: Adding NICs or VirtFS mounts to a VM is limited
    • webgui: VM manager: new setting "Network Model"
    • webgui: Added new setting "Enable user share assignment" to cache pool
    • webgui: Dashboard: style adjustment for server icon
    • webgui: Update jGrowl to version 1.4.7
    • webgui: Fix ' appearing
    • webgui: VM Manager: add 'virtio-win-0.1.189-1' to VirtIO-ISOs list
    • webgui: Prevent bonded nics from being bound to vfio-pci too
    • webgui: better handling of multiple nics with vfio-pci
    • webgui: Suppress WG on Dashboard if no tunnels defined
    • webgui: Suppress Autofan link on Dashboard if plugin not installed
    • webgui: Detect invalid session and logout current tab
    • webgui: Added support for private docker registries with basic auth or no auth, and improvements for token based authentication
    • webgui: Fix notifications continually reappearing
    • webgui: Support links on notifications
    • webgui: Add raid1c3 and raid1c4 btrfs pool balance options.
    • webgui: For raid6 btrfs pool data profile use raid1c3 metadata profile.
    • webgui: Permit file system configuration when array Started for Unmountable volumes.
    • webgui: Fix not able to change parity check schedule if no cache pool present
    • webgui: Disallow "?" in share names
    • webgui: Add customizable timeout when stopping containers

Edited by limetech

• Like 6
    • Thanks 6

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is great!

I've been coming back to this forum multiple times a day waiting for an update. Just today I'd decided to clear & reformat my cache as I don't really trust btrfs, and this update has come just at the right time for me to upgrade with an empty cache and reconfigure things nicely.

Hope that the "various non-work-related challenges" have all been resolved and you and your families are safe & well. Thanks for providing such a great system.

Will be moving to this in the next day.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 3

However, we have discovered that a regression has been introduced in the mtp3sas driver used by many LSI chipsets, e.g., LSI 9201-16e. 

Should be noted that right now, the only SAS chipsets definitely affected is the SAS2116 ie: the 9201-16e.   My controller running SAS2008 (Dell H200 cross-flashed) is completely unaffected.

• Thanks 6

One minor caveat exists if you had previously set up the docker image as a folder on either Beta 22 or Beta 25, and did NOT put it into a subfolder named "Docker".  The system will not recognize that the image was in a folder when you stop and restart the docker service.  (Reboots are ok though).  This will result (if you're not paying attention) in the system recreating a btrfs docker.img file

The fix for this is to simply make sure that when you stop the service is to reselect the "folder option" and ensure it's pointed at the correct folder.

noVNC gives me an error on all VMs.

SyntaxError: The requested module './util/strings.js' does not provide an export named 'encodeUTF8'

20 minutes ago, Womabre said:

noVNC gives me an error on all VMs.

SyntaxError: The requested module './util/strings.js' does not provide an export named 'encodeUTF8'

I don't see that.  Maybe try an F5 refresh or try clear browser cache.

KNOWN ISSUE: with this release we have moved to the latest Linux 5.8 stable kernel.  However, we have discovered that a regression has been introduced in the mtp3sas driver used by many LSI chipsets, e.g., LSI 9201-16e.  

Running 6.9.0-beta25. Glad I came here to check. Seems my 9201-16i would be one of the affected LSI SAS cards as it's based on the 2116 too.

Edited by SpuddyUK

Just upgraded my AMD 9300X system, and can now use Host passthrough for the CPUs again without having to make changes to the XML.

noVNC error here on any of my VMs.

Only thing I see is HT thread 12 is being loaded up to 100%, but I doubt that has anything to do with the beta.

Edited by Chess
    Spelling
    • Thanks 2
    5 minutes ago, limetech said:

I don't see that.  Maybe try an F5 refresh or try clear browser cache.

Yep. That was it. So dumb 😅

• Like 1
    23 minutes ago, Chess said:

Only thing I see is HT thread 12 is being loaded up to 100%, but I doubt that has anything to do with the beta.

Odd, but this was a pinned core, with nothing using it :) Unpinned it and rebooted, now it's ~15% usage with jumps up to 40ish. Kind of odd for a pinned core to have that much usage on it with nothing assigned to it, but it's all good now.

Good job on this version @limetech

42 minutes ago, SpuddyUK said:

Running 6.9.0-beta25. Glad I came here to check. Seems my 9201-16i would be one of the affected LSI SAS cards as it's based on the 2116 too.

Wouldn't hurt to check.  The only reports thus far with this issue are 9201-16e's.  If it doesn't work, all of your drives connected won't be detected.  A simple roll back to beta 25 and everything will be back to normal.

• Like 1

Does this mean the vm’s will work again?? Thank you for all your work Unraid team 

Edited by Dava2k7

On Beta 25 there was an note in the announcement:

known issue: "Device/SMART Settings/SMART controller type" is ignored, will be fixed in next release

I waited for this a long time, since overheating HDD's are bad on high IO...

Is this fixed now? 😅

Edited by DarkMan83
    54 minutes ago, Dava2k7 said:

Does this mean the vm’s will work again?? Thank you for all your work Unraid team 

Not sure what you are asking here, but VMs always worked, but there was an issue on AMD cpus with the last beta however there was a workaround to get them to work.

oh I see one i'm going to test tomorrow!  

"webgui: better handling of multiple nics with vfio-pci"  

do you guys prefer that we update the testing in our bug report thread for record keeping purposes?

While on Beta 25, I already erased/reformatted my Cache Pool (Samsung EVO SSDs).....My Partition Format says "MBR: 1MiB-aligned".

Does that mean I'm already good...no need to do any of the erase/reformat stuff in Beta 29????

4e9Hdkw.png

Edited by Stupifier
    • Like 1

I've been having issues with LACP since beta 25, and still have them after upgrading to beta 29.  I noticed when logging into my switch after getting the beta 25 upgrade that my 4 port Intel NIC wasn't being used even though I had it and my onboard Intel NIC bonded using 802.3 (5 NICs total, all using e1000).  For whatever reason the 4 ports showed as a bonded member in unRAID but on the switch they showed they were connected at 10Mbps Full.  In playing around with it I broke the LACP LAG in unRAID and on my switch, but no matter what I try I can't get it to work.  I disabled the onboard NIC thinking maybe it didn't like bonding w/ the PCI-e card.  They've been configured using 802.3ad using the same switch (and firmware) and server hardware for around 6 months and the individual interfaces all work fine and negotiate 1Gpbs full and testing them using iperf.

Edited by _whatever
    3 hours ago, Stupifier said:

While on Beta 25, I already erased/reformatted my Cache Pool (Samsung EVO SSDs).....My Partition Format says "MBR: 1MiB-aligned".

Does that mean I'm already good...no need to do any of the erase/reformat stuff in Beta 29????

Correct!

• Like 3
    3 hours ago, dnoyeb said:

oh I see one i'm going to test tomorrow!  

"webgui: better handling of multiple nics with vfio-pci"  

do you guys prefer that we update the testing in our bug report thread for record keeping purposes?

Yes, please.

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
          <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
          <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-GLOWAY_STK512GS3-S7_201908175700' index='1'/>
          <backingStore/>
          <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
          <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
          <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
        </disk>

There is no such file or path when using virtual machine to map hard disk

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, limetech said:

Correct!

Phew - I'd only just started hours of moving files off my pools when I saw this.  It's probably worth adding to the main post as other people will be in the same boat i.e. luckily did this when they created new pools.

Hey chess the work around worked for vnc for me but it wouldn’t pass through to the tv yet 6.8.3 I could passthrough to tv fine since going to beta I lost the ability I tried many fixes on here and it didn’t happen best I had was VNC and I can’t get that anymore 

4 hours ago, stl88083365 said:

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
          <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
          <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-GLOWAY_STK512GS3-S7_201908175700' index='1'/>
          <backingStore/>
          <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
          <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
          <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
        </disk>

There is no such file or path when using virtual machine to map hard disk

I am not 100% sure if my problem is related to the one above,

but I have several VMs that use a pass through unassigned device as main disk. Since Beta 29 non of them boots anymore with the following error (example):

Execution error

Unable to get devmapper targets for /dev/sdh: No such file or directory

In the LIBVIRT log, I got the following entries:

2020-09-29 09:29:24.847+0000: 6045: error : virDevMapperOnceInit:78 : internal error: Unable to find major for device-mapper
    2020-09-29 09:29:24.847+0000: 6045: error : qemuSetupImagePathCgroup:91 : Unable to get devmapper targets for /dev/sdh: Success
    2020-09-29 09:45:55.392+0000: 6048: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:5983 : Domain id=2 name='Windows 10' uuid=e2a7c568-efce-61c9-a7ad-789c710201fc is tainted: high-privileges
    2020-09-29 09:45:55.392+0000: 6048: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:5983 : Domain id=2 name='Windows 10' uuid=e2a7c568-efce-61c9-a7ad-789c710201fc is tainted: host-cpu
    2020-09-29 09:45:55.408+0000: 6048: error : qemuSetupImagePathCgroup:91 : Unable to get devmapper targets for /dev/sdh: No such file or directory

Any idea to what this problem is related or how it can be solved? Maybe with the next beta?

Edited by Ralf.
    • Like 2

This is now closed for further comments

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.