[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

1 hour ago, Coastal Custom Tech said:

Hey did you ever have any more issues on this, I'm currently fighting with this and seem to be having hiccups.

Can you describe your issues?

I think otherwise nobody here can help you correctly.

GVT-g always heavily depends on the implementation in the Firmware from the Motherboard manufacturer.

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you describe your issues?

I think otherwise nobody here can help you correctly.

GVT-g always heavily depends on the implementation in the Firmware from the Motherboard manufacturer.

I'm basically having the same issue and tried their fixes that they listed. In my case its a remote server so a hard crash is a bit of a pain. I got a new motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3P and updated the bios then set the same settings. In the logs I was getting guest write errors and searching online I found a thread for Proxmox where their users where having the same problem and they found a solution but I have no idea how to adapt that to Unraid. Problem: https://github.com/intel/gvt-linux/issues/153 Solution: https://github.com/intel/gvt-linux/issues/153#issuecomment-1047603809 

42 minutes ago, Coastal Custom Tech said:

In my case its a remote server so a hard crash is a bit of a pain.

Are you really sure that this patch solves your issue? When does the machine crash?

This patch, at least it seems to me, is related to another issue where the guest driver causes a crash even when nothing is running in the VM.

The most crashes happen because you exceed the assigned vGPU memory and this patch won't solve that.

BTW you could also use a older driver version in the VM to avoid this issue that you've linked.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ich777 said:

Are you really sure that this patch solves your issue? When does the machine crash?

This patch, at least it seems to me, is related to another issue where the guest driver causes a crash even when nothing is running in the VM.

The most crashes happen because you exceed the assigned vGPU memory and this patch won't solve that.

BTW you could also use a older driver version in the VM to avoid this issue that you've linked.

So I've had this crash happen randomly multiple times while actually operating, but then also have had the issue when doing nothing gpu wise and was transferring files to another server to do the motherboard upgrade.

In the final and latest case it happened last night while doing windows updates. When the crash happens I cant navigate the unraid gui at all and last night I was able to do a reboot which had shut down the server but it never came back online so I've got to go and reset it today. For a short term solution I'm gonna add a relay to allow me to power cycle the server remotely as I have access to the network but don't need a full IP KVM. 

Also I think I'm going to disable hardware encoding for now as its too much of a hassle until I find a solution to the root cause. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 2:45 PM, ich777 said:

I have same problem recently, and my intel graphic driver date is 2022.1, it's means I have to use more older driver to avoid the problem?

14 minutes ago, Jarao said:

I have same problem recently, and my intel graphic driver date is 2022.1, it's means I have to use more older driver to avoid the problem?

Can you please describe the issue that you are having a bit more in detail?

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you please describe the issue that you are having a bit more in detail?

My cpu is i3 10105 and motherborad is b460m

I assigned gvt to my windows 10 vm (also removed vnc and video by editing xml), and it must be crashed in random time. At the same time, my cpu core usage which gives to vm will up to 100% (total core of vm is 6, and random number of core are 100% usage)

I got this problem after I upgrade Unraid from 6.11.5 to 6.12.0. Now I have been reverted to 6.11.5, also bad

Edited by Jarao
43 minutes ago, Jarao said:

I got this problem after I upgrade Unraid from 6.11.5 to 6.12.0. Now I have been reverted to 6.11.5, also bad

It is most likely the case that something in your Windows VM is using all of your VRAM and then it crashes.

Strictly speaking this has nothing to do with the host and it is a well known thing/issue that this happens if you exceed the assigned VRAM in the VM.

Maybe it is also caused by bad VRAM manager from the video driver itself.

Have you yet tried to use another driver in the VM and see if this solves your issue?

Sadly enough it seems to me that Intel isn‘t very interested in GVT-g anymore.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, JwW said:

Thanks for the answer. It would be beneficial to add it to the plugins' description page as it is seemingly a reoccurring issue.

It is a bit tricky since this is no where documented from Intel, but it seems to me that all chips with the suffix T, U are not supported, but I can't tell for sure because a user with such a chip where it is working won't even post here.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried using this to passthrough my Intel iGPU to my VM while still being able to use it for a container. However, when I opened it, it said my system wasn't compatible even though my CPU is a E3-1245v6. The dialogue said I should download my diagnostics (attached) and post here..... so here I am.... I tried using this to passthrough my Intel iGPU to my VM while still being able to use it for a container. However, when I opened it, it said my system wasn't compatible even though my CPU is a E3-1245v6. The dialogue said I should download my diagnostics (attached) and post here..... so here I am.... 

bishop-diagnostics-20230804-1824.zip

16 hours ago, alturismo said:

image.png.f938268458aea6635eae2f908b2fa6e1.png

the P630 iGPU is not supported afaik ... so this (sadly) wont work

Welp! that sucks. Maybe it's worth indicating that in the documentation as it says that all xeon E3 v6 cpus would work, but I believe all the v6's has this gpu. 

Well... onwards and upwards... I'll try to figure something else out. 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, hsingh314 said:

Maybe it's worth indicating that in the documentation as it says that all xeon E3 v6 cpus would work, but I believe all the v6's has this gpu.

It's the same for i-Core series CPUs. There are some i-Core series CPUs out there which are also not supported but I can't put a list together because it's all over the place, you can't find a list which are really supported or not and this sentence is actually from the documentation for GVT-g from Intel... :D

I can only tell you that all i-Core series chips are supported which don't have a letter at the end, except for 'K' these are also supported.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

It's the same for i-Core series CPUs. There are some i-Core series CPUs out there which are also not supported but I can't put a list together because it's all over the place, you can't find a list which are really supported or not and this sentence is actually from the documentation for GVT-g from Intel... :D

I can only tell you that all i-Core series chips are supported which don't have a letter at the end, except for 'K' these are also supported.

Thats fair. 

On 8/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, alturismo said:
在 8 年 13 月 2023 日下午 2:15,alturismo 说:

one step would be to remove SRIOV as this is only for 11th/12th gen up
一步是删除 SRIOV,因为这仅适用于第 11/12 代

but i rather guess, more a comptible issue with your mainboard, check like 1131 in your syslog and you see a trace error while installing gvt-g from your mainboard ...
但我宁愿猜测,您的主板更像是一个可兼容的问题,请检查您的系统日志中的 1131,您在从主板安装 GVT-G 时会看到跟踪错误......

I have removed SRIOV ,but the GVT-G is still not working.

by the way , I installed Intel GPU TOP plugin

Edited by huoyucat
  • 4 weeks later...