SATA Controller Cards

Are there any PCIE x1 SATA cards that are unraid compatible?

The ASMedia card I just bought is causing udev hang... I don't have any other slots left than PCIE x1 slots.

Well, I have a SATA2 PCI-Express x1 RAID Controller Card using a Silicon Image SIL3132 in my Test Bed Server that works.  I believe that is the chip of choice for many of the PCIE X1 cards.  You may have gotten a DOA one...

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any PCIE x1 SATA cards that are unraid compatible?

The ASMedia card I just bought is causing udev hang... I don't have any other slots left than PCIE x1 slots.

I just installed 2x of these SATA controller cards... 

IO Crest 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Card (SY-PEX40039)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0A6ZS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Each card has 2 SATA 3.0 ports.

They use the ASM1061 chipset.

Plug & Play with unraid 6.2 - work like a champ!

• 1 month later...
On Mittwoch, 1. März 2017 at 4:16 AM, tucansam said:

Well my LSI M1115 won't fit my DS380 as I suspected, without some case modding.  I see a bunch of non-Marvell cards in the wiki that *appear* as though they may work with 6.x......

If you have a found a card that fits and is available in you region we can have a closer look at it.

14 hours ago, mata7 said:

I have 3 of the Dell H200 wich i belive are the same as the h300 ...

H200 or H310! There is no H300 - just to avoid confusion.

Difference are the connectors.

H200 has vertical ones.

H310 has horizontal ones.

Both very good for unRAID, they just need to be flashed to IT mode.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing a Norco 4224 build in a few days with (3) 9210-8i's and (12) 4TB drives to start. Does it matter how the drives are balanced across the controllers since I'm not using all 24 ports to begin with? This will be on a Asus Z9PA-D8 mb using PCI-E Gen3 slot's 3, 4 and 5 (x16, x8, x16).

To aid with cooling, I might install drives 1-4 of the bottom row of the case, skip a row then drives 5-8, skip another row then drives 9-12. This would put 4 drives on each controller. 

15 minutes ago, dukiethecorgi said:

Do these H310 Perc adapters work with drives >4tb?

Yes.  I have 8TB drives on mine now.  If the controller supports >2,2TB drives then it will support all drive sizes for the foreseeable future.  Will be a long time before drive would be too big.  You are more likely to need a new interface to connect a drive before a drive will be too big.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Anybody tested a 12 port controller card that can do?
With my setup I think I'm going to run out slots for drives.

H310/H200/M1015/LSI2008 Cards all support port expanders if genuine IO is not of grave concern.

PCIe 2.0 x8 will do 4GB/SEC which is quite a lot for a disk controller, especially if you're not using SSDs on it

Just an idea :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

All this mentioned controllers are not available anymore and i dont want to use a "used" controller card. Is unraid really not able to work with modern SATA-Controllers, just stone age ones???

My Adaptecs are working (still) but i am looking for spares, but in my location, all these mentioned controllers are not available so i need suggestions for

"modern" 4-Port SATA-Controllers.

Thanks

Edited by Zonediver
13 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Is unraid really not able to work with modern SATA-Controllers, just stone age ones???

It's not an unRAID problem, it's a Linux problem with most Marvell chipsets, and 4 port controllers are mostly Marvell based, if you want a new controller you can get 2 or 8 ports, 2 ports go for Asmedia, 8 ports there are new LSI controllers that work out of the box, e.g., LSI 9207-8i.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

It's not an unRAID problem, it's a Linux problem with most Marvell chipsets, and 4 port controllers are mostly Marvell based, if you want a new controller you can get 2 or 8 ports, 2 ports go for Asmedia, 8 ports there are new LSI controllers that work out of the box, e.g., LSI 9207-8i.

I see - thanks for this Info ;-)

But this controller is also quite old - released in summer 2012...

Edited by Zonediver
  • JorgeB unpinned and locked this topic