The 5X3 Cage review - Norco, SuperMicro, iStarUSA and Icy Dock

Whaler_99

With some cages a fan speed controller will work.  Look at photos of the back of the cage.  If the fan plug is exposed, then there's no reason why you couldn't put a controller between the cage's backplane and the fan.  If the fan plug is not exposed, then chances are it won't work.  I know the Icy Docks definitely would not work with those.  I think the Norcos and Supermicros would.

If you want quieter performance, most people just replace the stock fans.  I recommend a few replacement fans in my Greenleaf Prototypes Blog.  Just do a search for the drive cage you want (Supermicro, Norco, etc.) and you'll find my fan recommendations.

A 5-in-3 takes up the same space as a 4-in-3 (the drives are just closer together).  It should fit.

Technically not true.  Most 4-in-3's have rail slots (so if your case has those support tabs in the 5.25 bays you don't have to bend them out of the way).

All 5-in-3's I believe do not have slots (so if your case has support tabs, you Must bend them/cut them whatever to get the cage into 3 bays)

A 5-in-3 takes up the same space as a 4-in-3 (the drives are just closer together).  It should fit.

Technically not true.  Most 4-in-3's have rail slots (so if your case has those support tabs in the 5.25 bays you don't have to bend them out of the way).

All 5-in-3's I believe do not have slots (so if your case has support tabs, you Must bend them/cut them whatever to get the cage into 3 bays)

That's true, and a good point I forgot to mention.  5-in-3 cages will fit in the same space as 4-in-3 cages only after flattening the separating tabs between each 5.25" bay.  Some cases don't have these tabs, but most do.

I have a CMStacker 810, how many of the RC-BPN-350V2-SS will I be able to run in the case?

At the moment I am using all 12x 5.25” drive bays (4x 4in3 modules).

Will the 5x3.5" actually fit the case?

Yes.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028874979&postcount=10

This guy had the stacker 810 and installed the Supermicro, no mention of having to bend anything outta the way... Looks good to me!

I have the CM Stacker 810 with 4 Supermicro 5x3's.

It fits however I had to remove the top usb/switch interface and I had to really jam one of the 5x3's into the front.

I dunno if I'll ever get them out again. <grin>.

I did not have to bend any tabs since there are none in that case.

Also, if you do not put in a second power supply you can retrofit a few extra drives at the bottom of the case near the bottom PSU area (if you put the PSU on top).

Jeez, 25 drives! I did not think of retrofitting... thanks for the confirmation! Off to convince the wife that I NEED to buy at least 3 Norco SS-500..

;-)

20 drives in a CM Stacker 810.. but if you do some kind of rigging, you can fit about 3-4 drives internally on the floor of the case.

I bet something like this could fit in the bottom of the case if nothing blocked the the hieght.. i.e. empty motherboard slots at the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/Sans-Digital-HDDRACK5-5-Bay-Organizing/dp/B001LF40KE

51TwsCuK2DL._AA300_.jpg

or even

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993002

17-993-002-06.jpg

If have done this for test in a fractal disign R3 and works nice when i will need to:)

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

If have done this for test in a fractal disign R3 and works nice when i will need to:)

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

another nice build with 16 drives (not mine) doesnt worth the extra cost since i could buy a rebel12,but nice though(end of offtopic)

P3021184.JPG.50b9e339c96396f5e90409cbbfb7a427.JPG

hd2.jpg.f16d4162699a6044974feff8d52efe61.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

did they change the design of the norco?  I don't remember the back looking like this!

Is it better?  Is anything else different??  I believe I have two of the older ones and I was thinking about replacing the stock fans.

I saw some pictures that didn't look like the ones I have!

Jim

16-133-030-16.jpg.c20e2708146f8e108f152e0790850780.jpg

did they change the design of the norco?  I don't remember the back looking like this!

Is it better?  Is anything else different??  I believe I have two of the older ones and I was thinking about replacing the stock fans.

I saw some pictures that didn't look like the ones I have!

Jim

Yes, they changed the design of the Norco SS-500.  I'm working on a review complete with heat tests right now, I will publish it to the Greenleaf Hardware and Software Blog in a day or two.  In general I like the new design, but I didn't dislike the old design either...so they are both good.  If you installed one of the new cages next to your old cages you would notice the purple color on the tab has changed to a blue sticker, but otherwise they would look pretty similar.  The internals (drive trays, backplane, etc.) are pretty different.  The biggest functional difference is the airflow, hence my heat tests.

My Norco SS-500 (Version 2) review is finally up!  Check it out here.

Awesome review.  Too bad I already bought 2 3x4 stock cages for my case  :'(

Thank you! 4-in-3 cages are a whole 'nother ballgame - they typically have better cooling and don't require case modification, but they don't give you the same drive density either.  I like Norco's SS-400 4-in-3 cages as well.

If you want quiet operation, then you'll need to replace the fan on either unit, so factor in the cost of the replacement fan as well.  A 120mm fan isn't much more expensive than a 80mm fan, so the price difference still won't be drastic.

I still prefer the Norco units over the Supermicro because of the drive tray design, but your point about the fan is certainly valid.  If you plan to run all hot-running 7200 RPM drives, then I think the Supermicro is a better choice.

Newegg may have had the images set for the V1 Norco still, they've now been updated.  Amazon still had the V1 images up when I ordered one of mine but they still shipped a V2.  I don't believe you will find V1 any longer, unless an establishment happened to have some old V1 still laying around.

The review Rajahal is excellent btw, I referenced it in the cases thread.

In regards to a fan replacement for the Norco SS-500 V2, will any 80mm fan work?  should I shoot for 1500rpm or anything else in particular?  The model suggested in the review isn't available at any of the places I like to order from.

Well, the Norco SS500 V1 are now $89.99 hmmmm decisions decision!

Where are the Norco SS-500 V1 still for sale?  Newegg is carrying the V2.

Sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't get a noticed in my email about his post.  I saw them on Amazon.com, but they are now V2 as some else stated.