OS Update issue to 6.10.3 or 6.11

I have been in the process of updating the OS from 6.9.2 to 6.11 and I have had nothing but issues. After updating to either 6.10.3(stable) or 6.11(stable) the system freezes during loading.

Started the process of updating the OS by selecting the update of from the popup I received in the GUI. It updated the OS on the flashdrive and restarted. The restart stopped shortly after selecting boot within a GUI screen.

Did some preliminary research and found some other folks were having similar issues: 

Rebuild my flash drive from my backup, made sure it loaded and all my VMs were functioning, then manually updated the USB stick and copied the config files over. Didn't work... decided to capture an image of where it stopped: Image1

Reloaded my working config of 6.9.2 and went thru the fixing common issues plugin and made sure I did have any issues. Mostly ensuring that it displayed errors warnings, but did find one of my VMs still had the VM HD passthrough through syslinux. Fixed that and now have no isses displayed running the normal and extended error checker. Reran the update from the tools menu and manually using both 6.10.3 and 6.11 versions. Still not working.

Thought it might be a hardware issue, so went thru and made sure the BIOS and firmware were updated on the motherboard(they were). So started to unplug pieces of hardware one at a time and seeing if that was the issue, no luck.

Thought the issue might be the config, so I loaded 6.10.3 from scratch on a new USB drive and tried to load that(I knew it went error out from registration, but was hoping it would atleast load). Here is where it stopped during the loading process: Image2.

Since the OS will not load, I have no way to pull logs to upload, just capturing the images of where it stops.

Any recommendation for something else to try?

Server spec:

Motherboard: ASUS Z10PE-WS

CPU: Dual XEON E5-2650

Memory: 64gig DDR 2133

5 array drives of different spec

2 SSD cache drives

1 Backup drive

2 minutes ago, Casperen said:

I have been in the process of updating the OS from 6.9.2 to 6.11 and I have had nothing but issues. After updating to either 6.10.3(stable) or 6.11(stable) the system freezes during loading.

Started the process of updating the OS by selecting the update of from the popup I received in the GUI. It updated the OS on the flashdrive and restarted. The restart stopped shortly after selecting boot within a GUI screen.

Did some preliminary research and found some other folks were having similar issues: 

Rebuild my flash drive from my backup, made sure it loaded and all my VMs were functioning, then manually updated the USB stick and copied the config files over. Didn't work... decided to capture an image of where it stopped: Image1

Reloaded my working config of 6.9.2 and went thru the fixing common issues plugin and made sure I did have any issues. Mostly ensuring that it displayed errors warnings, but did find one of my VMs still had the VM HD passthrough through syslinux. Fixed that and now have no isses displayed running the normal and extended error checker. Reran the update from the tools menu and manually using both 6.10.3 and 6.11 versions. Still not working.

Thought it might be a hardware issue, so went thru and made sure the BIOS and firmware were updated on the motherboard(they were). So started to unplug pieces of hardware one at a time and seeing if that was the issue, no luck.

Thought the issue might be the config, so I loaded 6.10.3 from scratch on a new USB drive and tried to load that(I knew it went error out from registration, but was hoping it would atleast load). Here is where it stopped during the loading process: Image2.

Since the OS will not load, I have no way to pull logs to upload, just capturing the images of where it stops.

Any recommendation for something else to try?

Server spec:

Motherboard: ASUS Z10PE-WS

CPU: Dual XEON E5-2650

Memory: 64gig DDR 2133

5 array drives of different spec

2 SSD cache drives

1 Backup drive

Images are not attached.

Spent a little more time tinkering with this again. Thought it might an issue with the USB disk. Used the Uuraid USB creator tool to create a new USB disk of each version. 6.11, 6.10.3 both failed to load again on the new USB drives.

Wanted to confirm the usb, so I loaded 6.9.2 and it everything loaded correctly.

So the issue is with something that changes in 6.10.3(I think?).

I have looked but can't find a hardware compatibility checker? I have a friend that is running the same mother board and CPU on 6.11 so it's not that, and I have unplugged and tried to load with out the rest.

Is there a way to log the loading of the program so I can determine what piece is failing? I have looked thru the flash drive to find it myself(with no luck), but maybe I am just missing something. 

It makes no sense for me to have to replace my entire server if only a piece needs to be updated. Currently I have no method to diagnose what is going on.

Finally had some time to mess with this again. I didn't have the times from the first time I ran it, so I just redid the installation a few times and recorded the times.

First Attempt 10-16--1:
Performed the update at Oct 16 @ 07:51
Performed the server restart at Oct 16 @ 07:55
The reboot stopped at Oct 16 @ 07:59

Second Attempt 10-16--2:
Performed the update at Oct 16 @ 08:29
Performed the server restart at Oct 16 @ 08:32
The reboot stopped at Oct 16 @ 08:44

The two logs show something is not working with the network config, going to try and fix that. Also noticed an NTP error on the second log, going to look at that also.

Is there anything else I am missing?

syslog-10-16--2 syslog 10-16--1

Got some time to work on this again today. I tried updating from 6.9.3 to 6.11.1 and loading into all of the options: GUI, No GUI, Safemode, and GUI with no plugins. All of the options fail to load in the same location.

I am uploading the log from the no GUI attempt. Seems to look similar to the previous attempts.

Times of the attempt:
10-22 @ 10:17 Update to 6.11.1

10-22 @ 10:20 reboot the server

10-22 @ 10:23 boot freezes.

Again, everything seems to load but just stops.

syslog -10-22