Unraid OS version 6.12.1 available

1 hour ago, ljm42 said:

This is safe. Updating plugins before rebooting into the new OS is a good idea, doesn't matter if that is before or after you download the new OS to the flash drive.

Do you think there could be a driver issue for my hardware with the new unRAID / Linux distribution?

I just don't understand what caused my crash and I really want to understand.

I have 3 servers, 2 upgraded without any major issues but my machine I updated today from 6.11.5 to  6.12.1 and issue I had is with the network.  I was using a USB 2.5g dongle so when it booted up, it didn't ever reconnect, i had to unplug from dongle and plug back into the 1G ethernet on the MB.   Since it's been so long since I did that, I couldn't remember how to get it back other adapter and it was NOT showing in network settings.  If someone can point me in the right direction please.  I remember you to change eth0 to eth1 but I did not see that.. This is what I have in network settings. Not sure why the adapter is not showing anymore

image.thumb.png.18bd0911177b26202482abe4a7c68842.png

7 minutes ago, GeorgeJetson20 said:

I have 3 servers, 2 upgraded without any major issues but my machine I updated today from 6.11.5 to  6.12.1 and issue I had is with the network.  I was using a USB 2.5g dongle so when it booted up, it didn't ever reconnect, i had to unplug from dongle and plug back into the 1G ethernet on the MB.   Since it's been so long since I did that, I couldn't remember how to get it back other adapter and it was NOT showing in network settings.  If someone can point me in the right direction please.  I remember you to change eth0 to eth1 but I did not see that.. This is what I have in network settings. Not sure why the adapter is not showing anymore

image.thumb.png.18bd0911177b26202482abe4a7c68842.png

You could try stoping the array.  Set Enable bonding to "no".   Then see if you get any "Extra Interface" that you can assign to your eth0 interface.

1 minute ago, GeorgeJetson20 said:

Nope that did not work, rebooted but the device does not even light up   Shoot, this worked perfect with the 11.5 - Really need the speed.    This is the Amazon part of what worked previously.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084L4JL9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a Realtek I believe.

This sounds like something that is going to take a bit of back and forth, not ideal for a release thread. Your best bet is to start a new thread and be sure to upload your diagnostics.zip (from Tools -> Diagnostics)

Kind of a feeler post, I'm having issues with transcoding 4k content in Plex, it appears this issue popped some time during the 6.12 release candidate cycle.  No other changes to my setup, I've reviewed all of my settings, no issue transcoding 1080p to 720p/480p etc.   Was curious if anyone else was having similar issues?

Intel® Xeon E-2288G CPU. 

In the meantime, I will continue to review my settings, and do more testing.

Thanks.

Edited by jbear
1 hour ago, jbear said:

Kind of a feeler post, I'm having issues with transcoding 4k content in Plex, it appears this issue popped some time during the 6.12 release candidate cycle.  No other changes to my setup, I've reviewed all of my settings, no issue transcoding 1080p to 720p/480p etc.   Was curious if anyone else was having similar issues?

Intel® Xeon E-2288G CPU. 

In the meantime, I will continue to review my settings, and do more testing.

Thanks.

Same CPU as you, no issues here:

image.png.077e6fc5732b1955ba80fccc6de57892.png

Edited by craigr
Added DV screen shot.
39 minutes ago, craigr said:

Same CPU as you, no issues here:

image.png.077e6fc5732b1955ba80fccc6de57892.png

Made a few changes, making progress,  looks like I disabled HDR tone mapping while troubleshooting another issue, re-enabling seems to have made a difference, will continue to adjust and test.

Thanks for responding.

10 hours ago, jbear said:

Made a few changes, making progress,  looks like I disabled HDR tone mapping while troubleshooting another issue, re-enabling seems to have made a difference, will continue to adjust and test.

Thanks for responding.

You've seen this thread right:

Read at least through my post on Feb 20th.

EDIT: Never mind, it's in the PLEX menu now.  How did you disable tone mapping?

I do have tone mapping enabled.  Obviously, you can't really watch HDR as SDR without tone mapping unless you like really awful looking video.

Edited by craigr

Regarding the crashes related to i915 driver -

I ran this command listed in the known issues

echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Will this be something I need to keep an eye on to revert whatever this did or will any future fixes take care of that?

Edited by mrflux
On 6/22/2023 at 11:40 AM, bonienl said:

You need to disable "netbios" to make SMB work over tunnel interfaces.

The service binding to interfaces reveals the shortcomings of netbios: (1) it does not support IPv6 and (2) it wants to use broadcast addresses.

Hence tunnels are excluded from Samba when netbios is enabled to prevent errors.

Thanks for helping me.

Do you mean disabling netbios on Unraid or the ZT/Tailscale interface of the remote device? Removing it on the remote device did not help.

I now have both VPN solutions, both included in "Include listening interfaces", but it still does not work. I really wonder how you got yours to work.

12 minutes ago, TBT said:

Thanks for helping me.

Do you mean disabling netbios on Unraid or the ZT/Tailscale interface of the remote device? Removing it on the remote device did not help.

I now have both VPN solutions, both included in "Include listening interfaces", but it still does not work. I really wonder how you got yours to work.

It's in a weird place IMHO:

image.thumb.png.bb5d55ef0f0d363d7ceb4ad51d62c5cb.png

I have a minor, but annoying issue with this update, my links to the docker web UIs are no longer in the context menus (dashboard page or docker page). I haven't changed any ports, and the UIs themselves still work if I put in the ip+port manually into my browser window. It's just the "shortcut" in the context menu that has disappeared for some reason.

Any suggestions?

unraiddockercontext.PNG

2 hours ago, Vodos said:

I have a minor, but annoying issue with this update, my links to the docker web UIs are no longer in the context menus (dashboard page or docker page). I haven't changed any ports, and the UIs themselves still work if I put in the ip+port manually into my browser window. It's just the "shortcut" in the context menu that has disappeared for some reason.

Any suggestions?

unraiddockercontext.PNG

It seems there was a bug report on that :

• Thanks 1
On 6/22/2023 at 9:43 AM, Shadowrunner said:

No so much a bug as an irritant, but since the update, everything I upload to the array has the executable bit set. It's easy enough to remove with chmod of course, but it's a pain to have to do this for everything. Is this normal in the new version or have I missed a setting somewhere?

This is a "feature" of Samba.  The Windows archive bit is mapped to the executable bit on Linux.  It drives me crazy at work because people are constantly checking in text files to git as executable.

32 minutes ago, TomB822 said:

This is a "feature" of Samba.  The Windows archive bit is mapped to the executable bit on Linux.  It drives me crazy at work because people are constantly checking in text files to git as executable.

Taken from here: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch08.html

Three Samba options decide whether the bits are mapped: map archive, map system , and map hidden. These options map the archive, system, and hidden attributes to the owner, group, and world execute bits of the file, respectively. You can add these options to the [data] share, setting each of their values as follows:

[data]

map archive = yes

map system = yes

Map hidden = yes

After that, try creating a file in the share under Unix—such as hello.java—and change the permissions of the file to 755. With these Samba options set, you should be able to check the permissions on the Windows side and see that each of the three values has been checked in the Properties dialog box. What about the read-only attribute? By default, Samba sets this whenever a file does not have the Unix owner write permission bit set. In other words, you can set this bit by changing the permissions of the file to 555.

The default value of the map archive option is yes, while the other two options have a default value of no. This is because many programs do not work properly if the archive bit is not stored correctly for DOS and Windows files. The system and hidden attributes, however, are not critical for a program's operation and are left to the discretion of the administrator.

image.png.fded00a77d7302ed6da03feadeb6f22c.png

56 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Samba options decide whether the bits are mapped: map archive, map system , and map hidden

First, thank you for this explanation!  It explains how Samba resolves the difference in permissions between Windows and Linux.

As another piece of information, the following command will show of the Samba configuration available and their settings:

testparm -v

For a listing of only the ones which have been changes from their defaults, use this command:

testparm

For the record, this is the settings which Unraid defaults to:

image.png.c9e01d30c75066c06c99d767e8646ecd.png

There is a later version of the Samba parameters that can be found here:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html

The copy you linked to is more readable/understandable but I believe it is a bit out of date.

• Thanks 1