Dune, PCH or something I build?

pepar

Thank you ... THANK YOU!  This is news I can use.

How would it be if I installed XMBC on the rig I was going to use to rip my collection and then use the C-200 in the theater for playing?  Or did I misunderstand?  Either way, my follow-up would be if I could load XMBC onto the ripping computer and on the playing computer?

Jeff

FWIW I have both a PCH-C200 and XBMC-HTPC setup running in our home.  I started with the C200 and then added the XBMC setup.  Both work well for me for streaming Blu-ray and DVD movies from my WHSv1 media server (in process of moving to unRAID  :)!).  Certainly the PCH-C200 is a more cost effective solution relative to building an HTPC, but in my experience setting up & maintaining a large movie collection was much more straightforward with XBMC than it was with YAMJ on the C200.  Then again I was able to leverage all of the NFO files I created for YAMJ and reuse them for XBMC.  In both setups I'm passing LPCM, DTS, DTS-HD, DD or DD-TrueHD through HDMI to a Denon receiver.

Jeff - I believe that should work fine for you.  I've been hosting movies from my WHSv1 box with NFS shares for the C200, but regular SMB shares work just as well.  Once you setup everything under XBMC with respect to creating NFO files for movies (IMHO that's the way to go to ensure you get the movie info and artwork you want) then you can setup YAMJ on that same system to create the setup for the C200.  I haven't messed with the latest Networked Media Jukebox on the C200 - that might be a way to go.  Oh and FYI I have a small SSD installed in my C200 to store all of the YAMJ files, etc.  Hope I understood your questions as far as these answers.  -Kevin

Thank you ... THANK YOU!  This is news I can use.

How would it be if I installed XMBC on the rig I was going to use to rip my collection and then use the C-200 in the theater for playing?  Or did I misunderstand?  Either way, my follow-up would be if I could load XMBC onto the ripping computer and on the playing computer?

Jeff

Jeff - I believe that should work fine for you.  I've been hosting movies from my WHSv1 box with NFS shares for the C200, but regular SMB shares work just as well.  Once you setup everything under XBMC with respect to creating NFO files for movies (IMHO that's the way to go to ensure you get the movie info and artwork you want) then you can setup YAMJ on that same system to create the setup for the C200.  I haven't messed with the latest Networked Media Jukebox on the C200 - that might be a way to go.  Oh and FYI I have a small SSD installed in my C200 to store all of the YAMJ files, etc.  Hope I understood your questions as far as these answers.  -Kevin

Thanks, I have six PC around the house and wanted to avoid having another.  I'm doing a round of rebuilds moving to SSD and low power CPUs for units that are on 24/7.  After I complete those, the UNRaid media server is next.

Jeff

I know what you're saying about not wanting another computer in the house, but I don't even think of my revo as a computer, it's smaller than a book and requires zero maintenance since XBMC doesn't rely on external codecs.  I even have it imaged to my unraid server so I can have back up and running in no time just in case someone does manage to mess it up.  I've looked at a lot of other players, wanted to get something for another room, and after XBMC none of them hold up.  They all have some problem that is keeping them from being as kick ass as a XBMC install.  Eventually someone will get it right, but til then a nettop and XBMC is the player of choice.     

I'm sitting here working a night shift and thought I'd weigh in with my opinion.

I've owned/currently own the following:

AppleTV 2 (need to try XBMC with it)

WDTV Live (several versions)

XBMC on net top-like PC build

Popcorn Hour A100, A200 and C200

Dune HD Smart D1

Quick summary:  By far my best experience has been with the Dune HD D1

The Long Version:

I started out down this road years ago with a WDTV media player and after running into the limitations of that system decided to build.  I checked out XBMC and ended up building a nice mini-itx intel based PC with BD drive etc.  After finding out the numerous workarounds to get xyz codec to work or BD ISO to mount I gave up on a homebrew device.

I then started looking at appliances again.  In my wait for the Dune and the positive press it was getting I bought a PCH-A200 and a special case to mod it to be silent.  I was getting closer to my own entertainment nirvana---having something that could handle whatever I threw at it and "just work".  The PCH was pretty close with a few bugs here and there but an ugly interface and I hated the 3rd party apps available at the time.  I wanted the beauty of XBMC without the headaches and I wanted something that would play everything regardless of where I got it or what format it was in.

I finally found a perfect combo in the Dune and running the jukebox app Zappiti.  It plays absolutely EVERYTHING I throw at it and then some.  I don't have to worry about whether or not it will accept some weird format mkv or can it handle BD-ISO menus, subs etc. or having to configure XBMC to use some external program to mount my ISO etc.  I wanted a device that my 5 year old daughter could use and my wife wouldn't kill me for installing.  :D

The interface for Zappiti is absolutely everything I could want in a frontend.  Simple, elegant, functional and beautiful.  I would HIGHLY recommend anyone that is considering a media player solution to ask themselves what their goal is and how much involvement they want with their product.  I work in IT for a living, love tinkering and have my own server rack and multiple pc's but when it came to my entertainment I just want it to work and the Dune delivers that absolutely perfectly.  I have yet to come across something it can't play (I use mine strictly for video--never music).  I've ripped all my kids favorite DVD's and BD's to ISO's and they work perfectly---much faster than my old Panasonic and Sony BD players.  I've recently pulled my BD players out of my entertainment rack and will be buying another D1 for my bedroom/bonus room when funds permit.

Just one guys journey through finding digital media entertainment bliss.  ;D

I have dune and for example when you here a song you can't browse to another dir to find another.... depending your needs an grove with xbmc is far more capable...

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

xbmc does not need any add-ons to play .iso images.  They do not need to be "mounted", they just play when you select a movie.

The "library" mode in XBMC is really impressive.  I too use openelec version of XBMC on a revo 1600.  It is even able to be completely controlled over wifi from my android phones and tablet.  Even the cover-art displays on those devices...    Make it VERY easy for a guest to select a movie or browse your collection.

see here: http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcremote/

I'd like to learn more about how an XMBC-based player compares to PCH/Dune.  In operation and performance.  Somebody earlier in this thread (or one of the others I have going on various fora) commented on a redo of part of XMBC that will improve streaming lossless ... suggesting it is not now optimum.  

My usage will primarily be streaming Blu-rays at 24p and DVDs, Dolby and DTS including the lossless varieties, as well as MLP (DVD-A) and DSD (SACD).  My pre/pro will handle all decoding.

Thanks!

Jeff

I know what you're saying about not wanting another computer in the house, but I don't even think of my revo as a computer, it's smaller than a book and requires zero maintenance since XBMC doesn't rely on external codecs.  I even have it imaged to my unraid server so I can have back up and running in no time just in case someone does manage to mess it up.  I've looked at a lot of other players, wanted to get something for another room, and after XBMC none of them hold up.  They all have some problem that is keeping them from being as kick ass as a XBMC install.   Eventually someone will get it right, but til then a nettop and XBMC is the player of choice.     

Lots of good stuff in you post, but I'd like to drill down on this.  Certainly ripping to ISO is simple, but isn't space a consideration?  I know storage is inexpensive these days, but extracting the video and the lossless audio for each BD is something a lot of people do.

Just asking/just learning.

Jeff

xbmc does not need any add-ons to play .iso images.  They do not need to be "mounted", they just play when you select a movie.

Lots of good stuff in you post, but I'd like to drill down on this.  Certainly ripping to ISO is simple, but isn't space a consideration?  I know storage is inexpensive these days, but extracting the video and the lossless audio for each BD is something a lot of people do.

Just asking/just learning.

Jeff

I rip straight to FULL iso for all my movies I have.

Both I guess.  I want the DVD in its entirety.

I use Openelec (XBMC) on a JetWay Mini-top

Does that rig play Blu-ray, DVD-A and SACD ISOs?

It will play high def content no problem.  I do not thing that the current release of XBMC supports Blu-ray ISO files.  It would be best to check there site and read up on the xbmc.org wiki.

Both I guess.  I want the DVD in its entirety.

I use Openelec (XBMC) on a JetWay Mini-top

Does that rig play Blu-ray, DVD-A and SACD ISOs?

It will play high def content no problem.  I do not thing that the current release of XBMC supports Blu-ray ISO files.  It would be best to check there site and read up on the xbmc.org wiki.

Blu-Ray ISO is in the early stages, the main movie with audio and subtitle selections + chapters is working for most ISO's but there are still issues.  Full Blu Ray Menu support is not even on the to-do list at this point and likely never will.  It can be done on windows using an external player and appear seamless, but of course that requires you have windows on the machine and run XBMC on top of that.

I have dune and for example when you here a song you can't browse to another dir to find another.... depending your needs an grove with xbmc is far more capable...

xbmc does not need any add-ons to play .iso images. They do not need to be "mounted", they just play when you select a movie.

The "library" mode in XBMC is really impressive. I too use openelec version of XBMC on a revo 1600. It is even able to be completely controlled over wifi from my android phones and tablet. Even the cover-art displays on those devices... Make it VERY easy for a guest to select a movie or browse your collection.

see here: http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcremote/

Yes I totally agree:-) I have it like this also.(but with xbmc live -had issues with openelec and some plugins)Even my wife can handle it:-) dune smart b1 was a present. It plays bluray disks only!

I have a couple of PCH A110 devices and a HDI Dune Smart D1.  I am seriously looking at a HTPC for the main room mainly because I would like to be able to access the web, Skype, read email etc from the 55" screen rather than trundle to my office.

I'm still not sure which way to go though.  With the new Dune Devices announced (the DV TV 101 is the size of a cigarette packet), if I can get Zappiti sorted out and auto updating for all the Dune devices I have, I might just stick with Dune.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still not sure which way to go though.  With the new Dune Devices announced (the DV TV 101 is the size of a cigarette packet), if I can get Zappiti sorted out and auto updating for all the Dune devices I have, I might just stick with Dune.

Just be careful of the precise specs of the new Dunes, some cannot do HD audio, if I remember correctly. Myself, I have a Dune Smart D1. I love it. Let me say thT I am very new at the whole media server game and this is my first. I did a massive amount of research before jumping in and the Dune was my only choice. As others have said it p,aye anying I throw at it. Most of my stuff now is DVD folder rips, until I figure put how to get my BRs and HD-DVDs onto the server. I did DL a ton of various files from the web and every one played flawlessly. There are 3, I think, jukebox interfaces for the Dune (Zappiti, MyMovies, DuneX (OS X)) that are really quite beautiful. I have not decided which way to go yet, but I am leaning toward Zappiti.

Points to consider about the Dune:

1. The music server functions appear as an afterthout. It does play many formats, but NO GAPLESS. It is a real bummer for me as I have tens of terabytes of live concert recordings that need gapless playback. There is hope that this will be added in a future release, and Dune has a website where you can suggest and vote on features to be added to their firmware. Sonically the Dune is great, bit perfect.

2. There is announced an upgrade program for the Dune Smart series of players when the new chips become available. The way this works is you trade in your D1/B1/H1 for a D2/B2/H2 at a substantially lower price.

3. The US reseller (Duneplayer.com) is super helpful at resolving problems.

Just another point of view for you to consider, really check out the AVS thread about the Dune, tons of awesome info.

Points to consider about the Dune:

1. The music server functions appear as an afterthout. It does play many formats, but NO GAPLESS. It is a real bummer for me as I have tens of terabytes of live concert recordings that need gapless playback.

If you have entire albums (or entire concerts) as a single file (eg, .FLAC) and you have a corresponding .CUE (cuesheet) file, a recent firmware for Dune will supposedly (I don't own one) provide gapless playback, while still giving access to individual tracks (via the .CUE).

Nevertheless, Dune (like almost all media[sic] players) is very antagonistic toward making music listening very user-friendly.

--UhClem