Does anyone in the Dev team actually have a Mac?

Nano
Go to solution Solved by Nano,

There has been some major issues with SMB speed on Unraid for a while, Unfortunately due to not many users using Mac's for access it does not come up. I have done some more testing today that may help.

Test folder with 300 Images 

Unraid 6.12.6 Fresh install with NVME SSD Share = Crap SMB speed loading photos 

Truenas SCALE Fresh build with simple 1 Drive SMB Test = Fast loading of photos, expected speed

Truenas SCALE Fresh Build VM within the same Unraid install with simple 1 Drive SMB Test = Fast loading of photos, expected speed

What's going on? 

Edited by Nano
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 6:57 PM, Squid said:

FWIW I've switched to a complete Mac / Apple environment and cannot see any fundamental difference on a stock MacOS (Sonoma) install vs a Windows environment.  Not saying that there isn't any, but in how I have my server organized I don't see any real difference

I have a Mac with 10GBps link, transfer speed is fine. The issues come when you have a folder with like over 300 images. Is it possible for you to confirm no issues in this scenario 

7 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

that is a generic smb problem, this post has some suggestions for improving performance

Except when I run a Truenas VM inside Unraid, the Image previews load instantly on a test SMB share and the folder itself loads fast. Yet the same share inside Unraid has slow previews and the files don't appear for ages. Here is an example I just took and this is one the better examples.. 

CleanShot 2023-12-31 at 10.31.50.gif

Here is then Truenas VM Share which loads fast and Includes preview images.

CleanShot 2023-12-31 at 10.37.50.gif

Edited by Nano
On 12/16/2023 at 6:57 PM, Squid said:

FWIW I've switched to a complete Mac / Apple environment and cannot see any fundamental difference on a stock MacOS (Sonoma) install vs a Windows environment.  Not saying that there isn't any, but in how I have my server organized I don't see any real difference

would be good for your comments on my last post GIFS can you confirm if that issue does not appear, if so, would love to see the specific settings you use as I feel like I have tried everything.

• 2 weeks later...