[Support] Nodiaque - Gameserver docker

3 hours ago, melmurp said:

I have it running on a dual E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz and it barely touches 35% usage but nose dives after 4 ppl join... yet CPU stays low. I was told... get a newer CPU... which seemed odd as.. well.. it's not bottlenecking on cpu. So now I'm trying it on a Ryzen 5 3600 to see if "newer cpu" does anything.

Grabbing the proton one now... something I did see was you have multiples UDP port entries.. guessing one was for config and other for actual ports? Docker tried to allocate them twice so I just removed one set.

I have had 9 folks on my server, Ryzen 5 5600g (left cpu on auto in bios) with 32gb of ram. Barely hits 30-40% 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CoZ said:

The only thing I get while in game is "High server load - there maybe some hiccups" message on the lower left.  I actually never see any hiccups though and my server is never "maxxed out" either.

Yeah same though performance dose seem to degrade after while with or without the messages.  And even with nobody on it load and resource seems high.

image.thumb.png.ce5d297ca461dacff423c156bce584d9.png

4 hours ago, Raceman83 said:

Hello! I've just tested the 2 containers, the Proton version seems to be much more efficient.
With my little low-power cpu (a pentium silver J5040) on Wine, the empty server was already consuming 50% of the CPU. And with 2 players CPU usage increases over 80% with many "server overload" warnings in-game. 
Under Proton with no player connected the CPU is running at less than 20%, 60% with 2 players and absolutely zero server overload message. Thank you Nodiaque for your work!

Interesting, why is the proton one more efficient it's basically the same emulator, or so I thought.

Proton is a set of library develop by Valve on top of Wine. They might have some stuff more optimized for this game. I cannot say, Proton is technically used to run game in GUI mode not dedicated server. I myself struggle to have a working docker with steam and proton working to play game from my docker. But it seems at least the server one work.

9 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

Proton is a set of library develop by Valve on top of Wine. They might have some stuff more optimized for this game. I cannot say, Proton is technically used to run game in GUI mode not dedicated server. I myself struggle to have a working docker with steam and proton working to play game from my docker. But it seems at least the server one work.

Might be nice to management GUI for local stuff, I don't know what that would like with enshrouded though since there is no CMD.

38 minutes ago, Bushibot said:

I'm feeling dumb where do 

proton with one person on and full saved loaded

image.thumb.png.462dd7c8d475c21d307a56ea64a3f82d.png

Proton with two people

image.thumb.png.43e6abfbc13dd5ca42fb37a38404b685.png

Off hand subjective performance seems better, but we haven't done much yet.

still seeing server high load messages but seems to be running okay.

never had the message in wine or proton (players are currently on wine). It might be due to cpu issue too. As I said, I do have a very beefy computer. I had lag issue last 5 days, no one told me (had the information this morning). But, I have using 75% of my CPU of video transcoding which left 4 cores for everything else. I'm doing the transcoding only on 4 cores now and no lag from user. I also have daily restart for the backup.

After watching for a while it seems the proton image uses about extra 1g of memory. At idle with no players it sits at about 2.1G where the other image would idle between 800 and 1.1. Both idles around 25% cpu with no users (which seems kind of nuts, but I think that is a server not image issue, since both did it).

51 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

never had the message in wine or proton (players are currently on wine). It might be due to cpu issue too. As I said, I do have a very beefy computer. I had lag issue last 5 days, no one told me (had the information this morning). But, I have using 75% of my CPU of video transcoding which left 4 cores for everything else. I'm doing the transcoding only on 4 cores now and no lag from user. I also have daily restart for the backup.

yeah mine is a older i7 with 8 cores (though I didn't pin any for enshrouded) with 32G. So not sure what the drag is with the load messages. I got them on both images. 

1 hour ago, Bushibot said:

After watching for a while it seems the proton image uses about extra 1g of memory. At idle with no players it sits at about 2.1G where the other image would idle between 800 and 1.1. Both idles around 25% cpu with no users (which seems kind of nuts, but I think that is a server not image issue, since both did it).

A bit why running in proton is skeptical. I did offer both since it gave me some opportunity to learn more but I don't think it's going to change much. The linux native one will be the game changer (well should be).

1 hour ago, Nodiaque said:

A bit why running in proton is skeptical. I did offer both since it gave me some opportunity to learn more but I don't think it's going to change much. The linux native one will be the game changer (well should be).

I’m glad that you did at least we have something to compare with now. And some system configurations might get more benefit than others.

20 hours ago, MikeS-PA said:

I have a similar issue. I copied my save files over, and they are replaced with new game files every time.  (the date is currently not correct, ignore it)

savegames.png

I had the same issue when I imported the save from Wine to Proton. Then I shut down the server, tried again and it worked. 
Don't know if it's related, but I did the import before the server had a chance to create his own new save (folder was empty). On the second try, folder was already populated with a new savefile and it's .backup file. Maybe it needs that .backup file to work properly.

Otherwise, Proton seems to run better than Wine. Less CPU usage while no players are connected. Still have to check when users are online.

Also, yesterday on the Wine version, my user reported they cannot connect anymore. They got an error message that says something like "Failed to create a game". Hope that the Proton version won't have the same issue.

Just now, Brainwasher06 said:

I had the same issue when I imported the save from Wine to Proton. Then I shut down the server, tried again and it worked. 
Don't know if it's related, but I did the import before the server had a chance to create his own new save (folder was empty). On the second try, folder was already populated with a new savefile and it's .backup file. Maybe it needs that .backup file to work properly.

Otherwise, Proton seems to run better than Wine. Less CPU usage while no players are connected. Still have to check when users are online.

Also, yesterday on the Wine version, my user reported they cannot connect anymore. They got an error message that says something like "Failed to create a game". Hope that the Proton version won't have the same issue.

Was this error while you were loading the proton version? Might had both using same port? I only run the wine version and never had that issue

29 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

Was this error while you were loading the proton version? Might had both using same port? I only run the wine version and never had that issue

If you're talking about the Failed to create a game error, it shows up before I even seen you made a proton version. 

Regarding the save file replaced by an empty one, I created the proton while the wine one was running (using same ports, so I expect it to fail, I just wanted to download the docker images). Then I turned off the Wine version, started Proton again, so it can download the game. At the end of the process, the save game was empty. I forgot to turn the server off before I added the save file (Oops). On restart, my save was replaced with an empty one. So this time, I turned it off properly, copy save file once again then started the server. It seems to work fine since.

To be clear, I don't need any assistance, things mostly works fine for me. I'm just sharing my experience in case it can help someone else to figure if something is “normal” or not ^^

Edited by Brainwasher06

I think I did state somewhere to let the server properly start at least once before overwritting with the savegame. It's a good practive in any game server unless stated otherwise (there's a handfull where if you do that, it won't yield good result). On first start, the server don't expect to have a savegame and it start a blank world since nothing is initiated to tell him "hey here's your savegame". That's a normal behavior for me. Also, the first save take about 5 minutes after the start if I recall.

And yeah, replacing a savegame while the server is running is sure to yield into an overwritten file since the save is not the actual world but really a save. The world run in ram and is dump to the savefile, and not read from it (except at load).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

My players had the high usage message too (2 players or more). Meanwhile I run my unraid server on a 3990x threadripper (64 core 128 thread cpu) and I have assigned 64 cores to this docker but it never goes above 5% usage.

11 hours ago, Trasher said:

With the proton container, my idle cpu is 6-9% / 700mb ram so much better than the 1st one (15-21% 1,5gb ram) Have to test this evening with 3 players

This on a intel 13400

Mine was like that until I loaded the world and had players, when the got off it stayed at 25, and 1.2g

4 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

I think I did state somewhere to let the server properly start at least once before overwritting with the savegame. It's a good practive in any game server unless stated otherwise (there's a handfull where if you do that, it won't yield good result). On first start, the server don't expect to have a savegame and it start a blank world since nothing is initiated to tell him "hey here's your savegame". That's a normal behavior for me. Also, the first save take about 5 minutes after the start if I recall.

And yeah, replacing a savegame while the server is running is sure to yield into an overwritten file since the save is not the actual world but really a save. The world run in ram and is dump to the savefile, and not read from it (except at load).

Might be worth adding some order of operation steps to the main post. I did read let the server create file first... 

Migration to proton:

Stop wine server

Adjust router port forward if new IP for proton server

Install proton server container (make sure you set a server password)

Allow Proton to run and complete install and start service

Stop proton server

copy savegame files from original directory to new directory overwriting existing

Start proton server, validate login and game state.