[Support] Nodiaque - Gameserver docker

7 minutes ago, ntweaver said:

First off, thank you very much for this container.

Concerning the auto backup feature, which is greatly appreciated. However, I think it is defaulting the world to a brand new game.

I got off the server last night and this morning a friend told me the server was back to like a brand new game. 

Thankfully, its an easy fix with just changing the config and copying the save file. However, how do I fix this so it doesn't keep doing this?

I'm unsure what you mean. Do you mean the backup is reseting the game? Cause I've been running it since I made it and haven't any of this. The backup feature is just a copy of the file with tar command. I have no command that copy over stuff except if the config file doesn't exist.

3 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

I'm unsure what you mean. Do you mean the backup is reseting the game? Cause I've been running it since I made it and haven't any of this. The backup feature is just a copy of the file with tar command. I have no command that copy over stuff except if the config file doesn't exist.

This could be related to I installed binhex-urbackup. But something happened at 0840ish and it defaulted the server to like a brand new game.  Again, its a simple fix for me but I didn't know if something was wrong with the config settings or what not. 

I turned off the binhex container for now. 

Screenshot 2024-02-04 093947.png

The backup script only copy the file, it doesn't even touch it

sleep ${BACKUP_INTERVAL}m
        cd ${SERVER_DIR}/savegame
        tar --warning=no-file-changed -czf ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups/$(date '+%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S').tar.gz .
        cd ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups
        ls -1tr ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups | sort | head -n -${BACKUPS_TO_KEEP} | xargs -d '\n' rm -f --
        chmod -R ${DATA_PERM} ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups

You can try removing the backup function to see if it's helping. Haven't had any problem with it yet and I rebooted 4 times my server today (had unraid update to do) and I asked player if something got revert, they said no.

I just created a new docker for enshrouded running on proton.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE SAME PATH AS THE OTHER DOCKER.

This new docker will use variables from the unraid template to create the config file. Do not modify the config file as it will be overwriten. 

It should appear in the CA as Enshrouded_Proton.

It is very experimental. I've taken information from another docker that is running it under Proton and adapt to make it work like my other docker. I'm not knowledgeable with Proton at all. Use at your own risk.

If you want to transfer your savegame, just wait for the server to properly start, stop then copy file in savegame over.

28 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

I just created a new docker for enshrouded running on proton.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE SAME PATH AS THE OTHER DOCKER.

This new docker will use variables from the unraid template to create the config file. Do not modify the config file as it will be overwriten. 

It should appear in the CA as Enshrouded_Proton.

It is very experimental. I've taken information from another docker that is running it under Proton and adapt to make it work like my other docker. I'm not knowledgeable with Proton at all. Use at your own risk.

If you want to transfer your savegame, just wait for the server to properly start, stop then copy file in savegame over.

Have you tested this with multiple users? Do you see a difference in CPU vs wine?
I've only seen this being done via pterodactyl (was about to install redis and that today actually just to see) and they claim proton can run with 16 ppl on the same hardware as wine capping around 4.

Again, appreciated all the work you're doing :D

I only have 2 active users right now and I never had any problem. I do have a big server (Xeon W-2275 24 cores @ 3.3ghz with 128GB RAM).

I've done a quick test to see if someone could logon and it worked. It's just fresh out of the oven, why it's very experimental.

10 minutes ago, melmurp said:

Have you tested this with multiple users? Do you see a difference in CPU vs wine?
I've only seen this being done via pterodactyl (was about to install redis and that today actually just to see) and they claim proton can run with 16 ppl on the same hardware as wine capping around 4.

Again, appreciated all the work you're doing :D

Little headsup, pterodactyl dev aren't unraid friendly. I've had many back and forth with them and everytime I say I'm using unraid, I get in the "unsupported" lane and they stop trying to help.

I was having issues, so I left the host up for 24 hours.  Who knows if I can query it, but I found when I added it to Steam's Favorite servers, I was using the wrong port.  I assumed it would connect to the game with the game port.  WRONG.  When I used the query port, 13657, it added and shows port 15636.  If you're having trouble and everything else seems like it is working, try that. If it doesn't work, let it sit for the night and then try again.image.thumb.png.f22d52d746acb4329effd67e1d03faa3.png

I have it running on a dual E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz and it barely touches 35% usage but nose dives after 4 ppl join... yet CPU stays low. I was told... get a newer CPU... which seemed odd as.. well.. it's not bottlenecking on cpu. So now I'm trying it on a Ryzen 5 3600 to see if "newer cpu" does anything.

Grabbing the proton one now... something I did see was you have multiples UDP port entries.. guessing one was for config and other for actual ports? Docker tried to allocate them twice so I just removed one set.

1 minute ago, melmurp said:

I have it running on a dual E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz and it barely touches 35% usage but nose dives after 4 ppl join... yet CPU stays low. I was told... get a newer CPU... which seemed odd as.. well.. it's not bottlenecking on cpu. So now I'm trying it on a Ryzen 5 3600 to see if "newer cpu" does anything.

Grabbing the proton one now... something I did see was you have multiples UDP port entries.. guessing one was for config and other for actual ports? Docker tried to allocate them twice so I just removed one set.

Just checked and there's 2, 1 for gameport and 1 for query port. 

There's 2 of each entry, 1 is for the config file, the other is for the port forwarding.

Where did you see dual port allocation?

I'm using 2 container hence the different ports

image.png.ccffb31d3c9f321570d1bbbdf3b6d847.png

image.thumb.png.c3f75ae2f9eb316dfd2207f55fff2da0.png

4 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

Just checked and there's 2, 1 for gameport and 1 for query port. 

There's 2 of each entry, 1 is for the config file, the other is for the port forwarding.

Where did you see dual port allocation?

I'm using 2 container hence the different ports

image.png.ccffb31d3c9f321570d1bbbdf3b6d847.png

image.thumb.png.c3f75ae2f9eb316dfd2207f55fff2da0.png

When I started the docker it tossed an error saying port already allocated and the docker cmd had 4 ports being mapped.. two dupes

*edit
I had to delete all four and readd them since I use different ports so perhaps that causes it?

Edited by melmurp
15 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

It's because you create 4 port forward. You are deleting 2 that you must NOT delete that are variables and crucial for it to work. Restart from the template

Yeah, I just realized two are vars not ports :(
I have the dumb

*edit
Copied over world from wine version and it's all running fine... I'm seeing ~10-15% less cpu with the proton version but yet to have more than a few players (2) to test with.

Edited by melmurp

Hello! I've just tested the 2 containers, the Proton version seems to be much more efficient.
With my little low-power cpu (a pentium silver J5040) on Wine, the empty server was already consuming 50% of the CPU. And with 2 players CPU usage increases over 80% with many "server overload" warnings in-game. 
Under Proton with no player connected the CPU is running at less than 20%, 60% with 2 players and absolutely zero server overload message. Thank you Nodiaque for your work!

Edited by Raceman83
15 minutes ago, Raceman83 said:

I've just tested the 2 containers, the Proton version seems to be much more efficient.

Can you please point to the two containers?

15 minutes ago, Raceman83 said:

Wine

You know that Proton is basically Wine?

Are you really sure that you tested under same conditions. However I would never recommend running a demanding game server like this on a J5040 CPU...

3 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

The backup script only copy the file, it doesn't even touch it

sleep ${BACKUP_INTERVAL}m
        cd ${SERVER_DIR}/savegame
        tar --warning=no-file-changed -czf ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups/$(date '+%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S').tar.gz .
        cd ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups
        ls -1tr ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups | sort | head -n -${BACKUPS_TO_KEEP} | xargs -d '\n' rm -f --
        chmod -R ${DATA_PERM} ${SERVER_DIR}/Backups

You can try removing the backup function to see if it's helping. Haven't had any problem with it yet and I rebooted 4 times my server today (had unraid update to do) and I asked player if something got revert, they said no.

It's not the backup function. The new game files are not created until I exit the game after finding that the world is at the  starting state.  Permissions  were matched just in case, but that made no difference. It just refuses to use the original game file for some reason.  I just don't get it. 

24 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you really sure that you tested under same conditions. However I would never recommend running a demanding game server like this on a J5040 CPU...

I can confirm and thought the same thing... Proton is just Wine but something is happening under the covers with their game engine that seems to really prefer Proton over Wine as I'm seeing better performance as well.

28 minutes ago, MikeS-PA said:

It's not the backup function. The new game files are not created until I exit the game after finding that the world is at the  starting state.  Permissions  were matched just in case, but that made no difference. It just refuses to use the original game file for some reason.  I just don't get it. 

I really can't say, I have nothing that write to that folder, only read. All the rest are up to steam and the game. Unless you have something externally that change the permission of the folder and the game can't write anymore. 

7 minutes ago, melmurp said:

I can confirm and thought the same thing... Proton is just Wine but something is happening under the covers with their game engine that seems to really prefer Proton over Wine as I'm seeing better performance as well.

I did read somewhere that proton has network library that isn't present in wine that could help in specific condition. There's also other library which could help. Just a hunch, I'm no way knowledgeable in proton. 

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Yes same conditions.
I know that my CPU is not suitable for hosting a game server, I didn't plan to host a game server when I built my NAS. It's for occasional use with 2-4 players max. 
I've seen other users report better performance for Enshrouded with Proton, whether that's due to a lack of optimisation of the game or thanks to specific network libraries missing from wine, but at least it allows small configurations to run the server and for more powerful configurations it should allow to consume less power.

3 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

Little headsup, pterodactyl dev aren't unraid friendly. I've had many back and forth with them and everytime I say I'm using unraid, I get in the "unsupported" lane and they stop trying to help.

Sound like my experience with anyone involved in the Frigate project - they arent' friendly nor do they ever want to help.  I feel your pain.