[PLUGIN] Intel iGPU SR-IOV - Support Page

3 hours ago, luct said:

* Run Plex docker with transcoding

has nothing todo with vgpu (and this plugin) and you shouldnt use a vgpu therefore, just regular /dev/dri and done, thats the advantage using sr-iov, parallel usage of igpu for docker/s AND usage of a vgpu for a VM.

3 hours ago, luct said:

I tried using the following:

Monitor USB C to USB C
USB C to HDMI

HDMI to HDMI

USB HUB (with HDMI) to HDMI

as mentioned, a direct cable connection wont work, the vgpu has no output by itself, you need something like a DisplayLink USB Adapter where you connect your DP / HDMI cable to ... your Monitor.

best practice is to VM passthrough a whole PCIe USB device then, but also just passing the DisplayLink Adapter should also work, but please dont expect wonders ;) its ok as Office Station for a Monitor, not more, not less ... in my experience.

Hi,

I can't create VFs with the SR-IOV plugin, no matter what I do it always stays at 0 ... many reboots ... many Compinations

I have the following settings:

• I5-13500 CPU
  • B660 board
  • installed plugins: Intel GPU TOP and Intel Graphics SR-IOV
  • no bound VFIO

In an existing Windows10 VM I can select the graphics card "Intel AlderLake-S GT1 (00:02:0) and then have code 43 in the device manager!

What am I doing wrong?

brave_5hKsUVohMn.png

brave_0PswZJVbAd.png

brave_ODFcvZaia3.png

14 minutes ago, powerforum75 said:

Hi,

I can't create VFs with the SR-IOV plugin, no matter what I do it always stays at 0 ... many reboots ... many Compinations

• I5-13500 CPU
  • B660 board
  • no bound VFIO

In an existing Windows10 VM I can select the graphics card "Intel AlderLake-S GT1 (00:02:0) and then have code 43 in the device manager!

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry. So many fatfingered edits on mobile. 
Is SRIOV enabled in the bios?

10 hours ago, wuudogg said:

Is SRIOV enabled in the bios?

I could not find any SRIOV setting in the BIOS!!! 

I have the following components:

Model:Custom

M/B:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B660 GAMING X DDR4 Version Default string s/n Default string

BIOS:American Megatrends International, LLC. Version F21 Dated 11/15/2022

CPU:13th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-13500 @ 2475 MHz

HVM:Enabled

IOMMU:Enabled

Cache:L1 Cache: 288 KiB, L1 Cache: 192 KiB, L2 Cache: 7680 KiB, L3 Cache: 24 MiB, L1 Cache: 256 KiB, L1 Cache: 512 KiB, L2 Cache: 4 MiB, L3 Cache: 24 MiB

Memory:32 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 128 GiB)

Network:eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel:Linux 6.1.79-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL:1.1.1v

57 minutes ago, powerforum75 said:

I could not find any SRIOV setting in the BIOS!!! 

I have the following components:

Model:Custom

M/B:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B660 GAMING X DDR4 Version Default string s/n Default string

BIOS:American Megatrends International, LLC. Version F21 Dated 11/15/2022

CPU:13th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-13500 @ 2475 MHz

HVM:Enabled

IOMMU:Enabled

Cache:L1 Cache: 288 KiB, L1 Cache: 192 KiB, L2 Cache: 7680 KiB, L3 Cache: 24 MiB, L1 Cache: 256 KiB, L1 Cache: 512 KiB, L2 Cache: 4 MiB, L3 Cache: 24 MiB

Memory:32 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 128 GiB)

Network:eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel:Linux 6.1.79-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL:1.1.1v

Update your bios. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios . Current bios is  almost 2 years old. In BIOS make sure Intel VMX , VT-d and SR-IOV is enabled.  *From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Virtualization Options > SR-IOV. Select a setting. Enabled—Enables a hypervisor to create virtual instances of a PCIe device, potentially increasing performance.

14 hours ago, powerforum75 said:

Hi,

• I5-13500 CPU
  • B660 board
  • no bound VFIO

What am I doing wrong?

brave_5hKsUVohMn.png

brave_0PswZJVbAd.png

brave_ODFcvZaia3.png

Hi!

Please don't pass through your gpu to a vm... when using SRIOV only pass through a single VF to a vm...

Other than that.. update your bios and make sure to enable SRIOV in BIOS.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, wuudogg said:

*From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Virtualization Options > SR-IOV. Select a setting. Enabled—Enables a hypervisor to create virtual instances of a PCIe device, potentially increasing performance.

@wuudogg  Where are the settings? In BIOS? Could not find it!

Hello again,

now my bios version is the latest F28 but I can not find any SRIOV options in the BIOS. All other Virtualization options in Bios I have activated (Intel VMX , VT-d)

And the same issue on Unraid ... could not create any VFs :(

13 hours ago, powerforum75 said:

@wuudogg  Where are the settings? In BIOS? Could not find it!

Hello again,

now my bios version is the latest F28 but I can not find any SRIOV options in the BIOS. All other Virtualization options in Bios I have activated (Intel VMX , VT-d)

And the same issue on Unraid ... could not create any VFs :(

Go to settings on sr-iov plugin. 
Set VF Numbers to “2”.  
Click save to config file

Reboot. You need to reboot.

check IOMMU after reboot. The VFs will be further down the page if all working well.

*Make sure you only pass through the VF, not the physical card.  

IMG_4940.png.23a94769dcd444bd84fc26a730b15c10.png

IMG_4941.thumb.png.95a1375de4418017d63c36eccff45f35.png

More details over here:

5 minutes ago, powerforum75 said:

Can it be that my board does not support SR-IOV?

Board: Gigabyte B660 Gaming X DDR4 
Bios: F28

CPU: 13th Gen Intel i5-13500

Funny you mention it.  I searched for that a few days ago without any luck. I don’t have a gigabyte board. Even downloaded and went through the manual. Didn’t see it. Drives me crazy trying to find some of these settings buried on my own systems.

what is the output of ls -l /dev/dri

what is the output of intel_gpu_top -d sriov

In Bios:

Verify that you have iGPU selected and not Auto or a dedicated GPU at bios boot.  Not sure if that is greyed out.  Recall no other video card installed I think I saw.

Make sure that above 4G is enabled:

Resizable bar enabled too. 

Not sure if any old settings in syslinix or modprobe are an issue.  

Uninstall SRIOV

Uninstall GPU Top

reboot

1 hour ago, powerforum75 said:

Can it be that my board does not support SR-IOV?

Board: Gigabyte B660 Gaming X DDR4 
Bios: F28

CPU: 13th Gen Intel i5-13500

Generally speaking, b660 chipset supports sriov.

Are you using uefi?

Please check every category.. I would try to find it in a category like "pcie subsystem settings" or "chipset configuration".

Sooooo ... finally managed to create the VF's ... puuuuhh, but how do I get the video signal from 0000:00:02.1 or 0000:00:02.2 on the monitor?  Both VGA connectors on the mainboard are with output from Unraid Main console! No output from the VM!

chrome_DGxOoANvo0.png

chrome_1p4YazSqTp.png

mstsc_SxwHL4CTsd.png

chrome_qdHNgVNobj.png

1 minute ago, powerforum75 said:

Sooooo ... finally managed to create the VF's ... puuuuhh, but how do I get the video signal from 0000:00:02.1 or 0000:00:02.2 on the monitor?  Both VGA connectors on the mainboard are with output from Unraid Main console! No output from the VM!

chrome_DGxOoANvo0.png

chrome_1p4YazSqTp.png

mstsc_SxwHL4CTsd.png

chrome_qdHNgVNobj.png

vgpu are just for acceleration in the guest you cannot output to a monitor

7 minutes ago, powerforum75 said:

chrome_DGxOoANvo0.png

What changes did you make? Let us know..

5 minutes ago, SimonF said:

vgpu are just for acceleration in the guest you cannot output to a monitor

You can get output to a monitor. You just need to pass through a usb to hdmi/dp dongle to the vm. Keep in mind you may need to install drivers for newer dongles.

5 minutes ago, giganode said:

You can get output to a monitor. You just need to pass through a usb to hdmi/dp dongle to the vm. Keep in mind you may need to install drivers for newer dongles.

But not via the ports on a gpu or motherboard.

18 minutes ago, giganode said:

You can get output to a monitor. You just need to pass through a usb to hdmi/dp dongle to the vm. Keep in mind you may need to install drivers for newer dongles

Ok ... and which dongle would that be, for example. Has anyone already tested this successfully?

15 minutes ago, SimonF said:

But not via the ports on a gpu or motherboard.

This used to be possible with GVT-g (5th to 10th gen Core) but I don't think Intel ever fully implemented DMA-BUF for SR-IOV. That might change with the upcoming Xe driver. We'll see...

Edited by Daniel15
Just now, powerforum75 said:

Ok ... and which dongle would that be, for example. Has anyone already tested this successfully?

There are some posts here where we discussed it. the dongles aren't special. It works.. You just may need to install a driver as I said before.

Again... Please let us know what you changed to make it work.

15 minutes ago, Daniel15 said:

This used to be possible with GVT-g (5th to 10th gen Core) but I don't think Intel ever fully implemented DMA-BUF for SR-IOV. That might change with the upcoming Xe driver. We'll see...

That would be nice as would love to have vms output to monitors with vgpu. but suspect unlikely.

They are based on DisplayLink:

image.png.06001e793ba7f513e7b5cf1cb7a98d57.png

What you basically have to do is that you have to mirror the iGPU in your VM to the Adapter and of course pass the Adapter through to the VM.

It‘s bot perfect but it works, you can have screen tearing and other visual glitches but it is working.

2 hours ago, giganode said:

Again... Please let us know what you changed to make it work.

That's a good question, I've tried so many things I don't know what exactly worked. The fact is that I have not found any SR-IOV in the BIOS ... I have set all other virtualization settings. Under Unraid I have Intel GPU TOP and Intel Graphics SR-IOV uninstalled restarted installed restarted and PCIe ACS override: set to both and PCIe ACS override: set to yes.

Now I have realized the VGA output to the monitor via a USB to HDMI adapter (see picture), but I am not satisfied with the result. It lags and hangs so that you can't use it. 

Because this device is not based on DisplayLink that I pointed out!

You have to use a device that is based on DisplayLink.

This is a cheap USB to HDMI Adapter and only for light office work.

DisplayLink is a bit more expensive than those adapters and you at least can watch Video, it's also not perfect but it certainly is working better than this adapter (of course only if you mirror the display)