[PLUGIN] Intel iGPU SR-IOV - Support Page

Hi there,

I am on Unraid version 6.12.10 with the Intel Graphics SR-IOV plugin installed from Unraid CAs and am experiencing issues.

From the Unraid admin page, I only receive statistics for GPU 1 as you can see in the images. On GPUs2-8 I receive the message from the dashboard:  "GPU not available bound to VFIO or inuse in a VM."

I also have installed:

- GPU Statistics
- Intel TOP

Also when configuring a VM with vfio 0000:00:02.1 or 0000:00:02.2 or any other, I cannot do remote desktop.

I have SRIOV enabled in the BIOS.

I don't know if I'm overlooking something, I'm attaching several screenshots in case you detect something wrong.

Captura_1.PNG

Captura_2.PNG

Captura_3.PNG

Captura_4.PNG

Captura_5.PNG

3 hours ago, AnonStoormTrooper said:

I receive the message from the dashboard:  "GPU not available bound to VFIO or inuse in a VM."

as mentioned several times .. why are you using vfio bind on your vgpu's ... ?

and wonder why you get a vfio bind error ... sorry to say but read again howto ...

2 hours ago, alturismo said:

and wonder why you get a vfio bind error ... sorry to say but read again howto ...

I'm sorry, I didn't understand your message.

After much searching for information and guides on how to configure this, my last option has been to post in this Unraid forum.

If there is any place where I can review this information or you can tell me where the error is, I would appreciate it, I am unable to see it.

Greetings and thank you

6 hours ago, AnonStoormTrooper said:

Also when configuring a VM with vfio 0000:00:02.1 or 0000:00:02.2 or any other, I cannot do remote desktop

Do you mean that VNC doesn't work? 

When editing the VM, you need to configure the VNC virtual graphics as the first graphics adapter, and the Intel one as the second one. There's a little green plus button (that's easy to miss) to add another graphics adapter. 

Edited by Daniel15
6 hours ago, AnonStoormTrooper said:

From the Unraid admin page, I only receive statistics for GPU 1 as you can see in the images

There's only one physical GPU so I think you'll only see stats from the first one. I think that should be total stats for everything though. 

Edit: for Intel top, I think there's a command line argument to show info on the SR-IOV devices? Try running it with --help. 

2 hours ago, alturismo said:

They didn't say they were. They were just quoting the error message, which says this. 

Edited by Daniel15
3 minutes ago, Daniel15 said:

They didn't say they were. They were just quoting the error message, which says this. 

i replied to @AnonStoormTrooper ... from hier screen you see

image.thumb.png.50b3c0cf0618540da1c545f87387d9a3.png

and VNC is usually only needed on initial setup, i always remove VNC when its done ... so the intel vgpu is the only one left and always used as display driver ... of course you cant use VNC from Unraid webui anymore, streamer like parsec, RDP, or install a native VNC client .... all better then noVNC anyway

• Upvote 1
On 3/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, bucky2076 said:

Giga,

After more research, it appears the drivers are unable to init the graphics pci board in the linux client (Manjaro)

Here is what I did... I installed the plugin and left it at 2 VF's by default.

I created a fresh manjaro install using both qxl and intel cards selected in the vm template. 

The VM boots fine, the card is there... but does not init properly in the linux guest.

l

Hey @bucky2076

Just wondering if you (or anyone else) ever had any luck getting the intel i915 drivers loaded in Linux?
I too am having issues and have had no luck getting the card to initiate properly in a Linux VM
Works flawlessly on my dockers and windows VM.
Does does not want to show in /dev/dri and on boot get errors etc.

I am trying to get an instance of nextcloud aio vm up and running and want to pass through a VF for some transcoding purposes.
I may need to revert back to docker for this. Not the biggest issue but would prefer to have it inside a VM.

56 minutes ago, Raider_M said:

any luck getting the intel i915 drivers loaded in Linux?
I too am having issues and have had no luck getting the card to initiate properly in a Linux VM

As per the documentation for the kernel module being used (https://github.com/strongtz/i915-sriov-dkms), the module has to be loaded in both the host (that's Unraid) and the guest VM. It only supports Linux 6.5 and older, so you may need to downgrade the kernel in the VM before installing it.

The Windows Intel iGPU driver already has SR-IOV support built-in, which is why Windows VMs "just work" with no changes needed.

It'll be built-in to Linux as well once the new Xe driver is available.

Edited by Daniel15
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Encore said:

I regret the purchase 💀

Don't worry too much since SRIOV is almost deprecated (at least that repository from which the plugin is based on) and won't work on Unraid 7.0.0+

For more information see this post:

15 minutes ago, ich777 said:

SRIOV is almost deprecated

There'll be mainline support once the Xe drivers are ready though. The last post about it on Phoronix from about a month ago says that they're working on SR-IOV now: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.11-DRM-Intel-Xe-Next

If I remember correctly, Linux 6.11 (which they're targeting) is scheduled for release around September or October. We'll see if Intel's driver is complete by then. :)

Edited by Daniel15
8 minutes ago, Daniel15 said:

There'll be mainline support once the Xe drivers are ready though. The last post about it on Phoronix from about a month ago says that they're working on SR-IOV now: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.11-DRM-Intel-Xe-Next

If I remember correctly, Linux 6.11 (which they're targeting) is scheduled for release around September or October. We'll see if Intel's driver is complete by then. :)

I was reading 6.12 but maybe sooner for xe. Unraid will take a while to get there because of zfs.

Xe is included in 7 already.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SimonF said:

I was reading 6.12

Is there an article I can read about this? The latest article I've seen was the one I linked that mentions 6.11. I haven't been following the mailing list very closely though.

On 7/15/2024 at 7:42 AM, Daniel15 said:

Do you mean that VNC doesn't work? 

When editing the VM, you need to configure the VNC virtual graphics as the first graphics adapter, and the Intel one as the second one. There's a little green plus button (that's easy to miss) to add another graphics adapter. 

I summarize the actions I have taken and that seem to have worked:

I have added the virtual card as a second graphics card, keeping VNC as the first graphics card.

Previously I replaced VNC with virtual graphics, and I clarify: I was trying to connect to that VM through Windows RDP, not through VNC. Since this setting did not allow me to connect, it seemed that Windows was not starting correctly, since I could not connect to that machine through Google Remote Desktop either.

Apparently this behavior of adding the virtual graphics card without VNC, along with the GPU Statics plugin that gives me that message “GPU not available bound to VFIO or inuse in a VM” in the Dashboard, made me think that the vGPUs were not right configured. I was wrong, unless you tell me otherwise, I see everything working correctly.

My only question right now is if I should continue keeping the /dev/dri path in docker containers like the following for transcoding, or should I change it to the path of a vGPU

- Plex
- Jellyfin
- Tdarr

Thanks to everyone who has helped me!

4 hours ago, AnonStoormTrooper said:

made me think that the vGPUs were not right configured. I was wrong, unless you tell me otherwise, I see everything working correctly.

what is wrong ... like mentioned above, vfio bind on the vgpu's in terms you stiff have them "ticked"

image.thumb.png.5453274d6b724ed8ab644b47667bd352.png

if its working now ... i personally guess, nope, you can try i RDP playing now a 4k hevc video and see if hardware decoding is working (will still stutter a bit as RDP is not super super fluid) by checking your task manager, CPU load should stay low and Intel Video GPU decode should be up ... or as real Test, run some real streaming like parsec, sunshine, ... if they are able to de/encode using the vgpu, then you have a real fluid remote session ... or some other encoding tests etc etc ...

sample like this (there is more when you look through this thread)

and yes, as @Daniel15 mentioned, nothing todo on Host Side Apps like Dockers, all stay at /dev/dri ...

Thank you very much for maintaining the i915-sr-iov plugin. I noticed it recently received an update that allows it to run properly on the unraid 7.0.0 beta 2 version. However, I also encountered an issue: my device is an Intel 12400 with a Jingyue B760M motherboard and a discrete graphics card, the Gunnir A750. After installing the i915 plugin and rebooting, I found that the integrated graphics worked fine, but the A750 driver disappeared  ( card1/renderD129)  , even though it was still visible in the

System Devices list. When I uninstalled the i915 plugin and rebooted, the A750 driver came back!QQ20240718183002.thumb.jpg.a610c9c100b8ffe802b821bf67b438c8.jpg

Edited by AsahiZoe
On 7/17/2024 at 5:17 AM, alturismo said:

what is wrong ... like mentioned above, vfio bind on the vgpu's in terms you stiff have them "ticked"

image.thumb.png.5453274d6b724ed8ab644b47667bd352.png

if its working now ... i personally guess, nope, you can try i RDP playing now a 4k hevc video and see if hardware decoding is working (will still stutter a bit as RDP is not super super fluid) by checking your task manager, CPU load should stay low and Intel Video GPU decode should be up ... or as real Test, run some real streaming like parsec, sunshine, ... if they are able to de/encode using the vgpu, then you have a real fluid remote session ... or some other encoding tests etc etc ...

sample like this (there is more when you look through this thread)

You're right, I've played a HEVC 4k movie in a VM with one of these virtual GPUs and the CPU usage skyrockets, while the GPU in the task manager remains at 0%. It is true that it detects it, because I was able to install the drivers, but it is not using it.

What setting should I make? When I checked the box: "Bind selected devices to the VFIO controller at boot time" I did it following a post on one of these UNRAID forums, would unbinding that be enough?