Want to trade 1-2 TBs drive for multiple small drives

Rajahal

I need more test drives, and the smaller the better.  However, since I can short stroke a drive to any size I want, the size doesn't matter all that much.  In any respect, I'm looking for SATA drives (SATA I, II, or III doesn't matter), and as many as I can get.  I have a 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Black drive and several 2 TB Green drives (Hitachi, WD, Seagate) that I'm offering up for trade.  All drives are used to varying degrees, but I can provide SMART reports if requested.  While I could short stroke and use my larger capacity drives as test drives, it just seems like such a waste.  Also, given the prices of drives today, I figure there's got to be someone looking to unload some small drives who wants a good deal on a large one.

Edit:

At the moment, I have enough test drives!  Thanks to the favorable response in this thread, I now have 14 more test drives than I did before I started!  For that, I traded two 2 TB drives and one 1 TB drive.  Thanks again to those who helped me out!

I expect I will need more test drives in the future as my business grows and my current stock of drives wears out.  I will create the following list of people who have offered drives to me.  When the time comes again, I'll simply go down the list and PM people until I have enough new drives again.  If you wish to be added to the list, please post in this thread with how many drives you have to trade and what you are hoping to get for them.

The list:

WeeboTech

2 x 300gb sata

4 x 250GB sata

1 x 160gb sata

2 x 40gb sata

2 x 80gb sata

lishpy - 2 x 640 GB

c3 - 22 x 250GB

Whaler99 - unspecified

leg0 - 6 drives ranging from 250 GB to 500 GB

What sizes are you looking for? I've got two 640gb WD blacks if they aren't too big. I've been trying to shop for a good deal on some other drives but money's been tight and I seem to miss out on every deal that's come around, and definitely would appreciate the increases in space.

Great, I'm glad there's interest.  Keep in mind that my goal here is to wind up with as many test drives as possible, and the smaller the better.  I don't mind giving up overall capacity since none of these drives will store data long term anyway.  I'm also willing to cover all shipping costs if the deal is sweet enough on my end.  USPS Flat Rate is cheap, so shipping shouldn't be too expensive in any event.

Weebo, I just called you and left a message.  Hope to hear from you soon.

c3, how many drives do you have?  I would be happy with an equal capacity trade, such as four 250 GB drives for one 1 TB drive, or eight 250 GB drives for one 2 TB drive.  Would you be willing to provide me with SMART reports?  I'm happy to reciprocate.  If you are willing to throw in any extra drives, then maybe I'll cover all the shipping.  Probably best if you PM or email me with your specific offer.

lishpy, I'll start with Weebo and c3 since it sounds like they more drives available.  I don't mind taking 640 GB drives since I will most likely short stroke them down to about 80 GB anyway, but I don't want to waste too much capacity.  Still, feel free to make an offer if you like.  I would trade my 1 TB drive for both 640 GB drives, but then you would be losing capacity.  I would trade a 2 TB drive for both 640 GB drives only if you are willing to pay a bit extra (maybe you pay $20 and cover shipping for both, or something like that).  I'm not greedy and I'm not really looking to make money off this deal, but I'm just hoping to get more than two drives for each drive I send out.

• 2 weeks later...

Would gladly part with a 750GB and 500GB SATA for a 2TB :)

I'd even cover shipping both ways...

For reference, I'm trading WeeboTech 10 small capacity drives for 2 large capacity drives.  That's the type of ratio I'm looking for.  Trading 2 drives for 1 drive doesn't really net me enough spindles to be worth my while.

Exactly.  prostuff1 and I build and test servers for others through our company Greenleaf Technology.  As part of the testing/burn in process, we run multiple passes of preclear on every drive bay.  The more drives I have, the faster I can finish this stage of the testing process.

Exactly.  prostuff1 and I build and test servers for others through our company Greenleaf Technology.  As part of the testing/burn in process, we run multiple passes of preclear on every drive bay.  The more drives I have, the faster I can finish this stage of the testing process.

I'm almost ready to ship those 10 drives.

I may have 5 more soon. ;-)

Unrelated, but Weebo - your avatar makes me nearly punch my monitor every time you post. Was this your intention?

If so, congrats  ;D

I've been waiting all this time for someone to make that comment. LOL! It happened to me too so I decided to pass the joke on.

I'm laughing really hard now.  OK probably time to change it now.

Unrelated, but Weebo - your avatar makes me nearly punch my monitor every time you post. Was this your intention?

If so, congrats  ;D

I've been waiting all this time for someone to make that comment. LOL! It happened to me too so I decided to pass the joke on.

I'm laughing really hard now.  OK probably time to change it now.

LOL. Mission Successful  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived