Problems with Unraid if the owner passes away....

I have 2 issues that worry me if I were to pass away...

1. USB flash is likely to die within a year.  My USB dies every year.
2. No "hot-spare" feature to auto rebuild a failed drive.

With these 2 unaddressed issues, my server, my legacy, would not survive without intervention for long after my death.

This worries me.

1 hour ago, TRusselo said:

If this is the case then you are doing something very wrong. I have been using the same flash drive for 5+ years without issue. On a normal unRAID system the flash drive incurs minimal reads and writes as the os is run completely from ram. The only writes should be one the occasion that settings are changed or plugins or OS is updated.

Is this a joke? :D

A hardware failure of any kind would lead to the same result. Data's still there on the drives if anyone wanted to access it.

2. No "hot-spare" feature to auto rebuild a failed drive.

If there was one nobody would notice or care when it gets switched to, then a 2nd would fail and back to square one.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:04 PM, Kilrah said:

Is this a joke? :D

A hardware failure of any kind would lead to the same result. Data's still there on the drives if anyone wanted to access it.

If there was one nobody would notice or care when it gets switched to, then a 2nd would fail and back to square one.

1. I have been running unrade for 7 years and I'm on my 8th USB flash drive. I have tried different brands and types with and without LEDs...

I lose one flash drive per year using unraid.

I have had zero other hardware failures in the same amount of time. So no, it's not the same. 

2. A system can have more than one hot spare

On 3/31/2024 at 12:55 PM, primeval_god said:

If this is the case then you are doing something very wrong. I have been using the same flash drive for 5+ years without issue. On a normal unRAID system the flash drive incurs minimal reads and writes as the os is run completely from ram. The only writes should be one the occasion that settings are changed or plugins or OS is updated.

Reading through the forums over the past 7 years I know I'm not the only one that this happens to

On 3/31/2024 at 1:06 PM, TRusselo said:

With these 2 unaddressed issues, my server, my legacy, would not survive without intervention for long after my death.

FWIW, I've been gradually simplifying things on the servers in the house to handle that scenario.  To make them easier to run / maintain with little if any management from the better half.   But, I also worry that upon my passing no one would be able to change the input on the TV either.

• Haha 1

1. I have been running unrade for 7 years and I'm on my 8th USB flash drive. I have tried different brands and types with and without LEDs...

I lose one flash drive per year using unraid.

I have had zero other hardware failures in the same amount of time. So no, it's not the same. 

2. A system can have more than one hot spare

Have you tried a microSD card reader with a high endurance SD card? Also, only use USB2.0 ports. 

33 minutes ago, Squid said:

But, I also worry that upon my passing no one would be able to change the input on the TV either

My wife has said more than once she married me for only two reasons:

• To kill bugs and spiders in the house
  • To handle all AV equipment/technology in the house

Both are still accurate 43 years later.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, TRusselo said:

Reading through the forums over the past 7 years I know I'm not the only one that this happens to

Still having that flash drives fail with that frequency is not normal. It suggests some sort of hardware or configuration problem. Do you notice continual writes to your flash?

On 4/1/2024 at 1:06 AM, TRusselo said:

would not survive without intervention for long after my death.

The other will found a way for their life, no smart home, electronic security system .... really not that importance ... and they may life better 🤣

Edited by Vr2Io
11 hours ago, Hoopster said:

My wife has said more than once she married me for only two reasons:

• To kill bugs and spiders in the house
  • To handle all AV equipment/technology in the house

Both are still accurate 43 years later.

I would be very happy if those were the only things expected from me.  For me, the list keeps on growing.  😆

3 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

I would be very happy if those were the only things expected from me.  For me, the list keeps on growing.  😆

Oh, she expects a lot more.  I certainly have a long "honey-do" list.  I am on the kitchen remodel item right now.  Those are just the two things she figures she would never want to deal with (or pay someone else to do) if she had to. With me around she does not have to.  :)

Edited by Hoopster