unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc1 Available

but how can I protect port 8080 & 9000 ( unmenu & slimserver) perhaps that not possible  ;)

You can re-write unMENU to use a real web-server. 

(I did it from within unRAID-Web a while ago, it has code to write php wrappers for all the unMENU pages)

You cannot do it otherwise. unMENU is an awk script.  It is a small miracle it can serve web-pages and act as a web-server. 

I can almost guaranty it will never have password protection.

For slimserver, you are on your own. 

Joe L.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you completely close all windows of the browser you're using, next time you try to access the webGui it will ask for password again.

I was playing around with this password protection just to test the effects, but wanted to set it back to no password.  Is there a way to disable the password for root once a password has been set?  I tried to save it with just a blank password box, but it still requested that I put in root as the username and had to leave the password box blank (same with accessing via telnet), whereas before no access box every popped up and in telnet I just had to put root and no need to enter a blank password.

I know it is slightly off topic, so i apologize.

Can you pretty please compile the kernel with the PPTP/PPP modules?  .. :)

What exactly do I need to configure in the kernel?  Do you want slackware's ppp package as well?

I should have done more research before suggesting it. Essentially the modules to enable simple PPTP VPN server. I used to have a package ready to go, but for some reason deleted it (ameture mistake) as the modules weren't included.

As far as I'm aware, there are the required modules:

# Modules needed for PPTP/PPPoA connection

slhc

n_hdlc

ppp_generic

ppp_async

ppp_compress (MPPE)

# Masquerading 'helper' modules

ip_conntrack_ftp

ip_conntrack_irc

ip_nat_ftp

ip_nat_irc

[RC1] With an active SMB connection and pressing "spin down" all drives will spin down, which interrupts the active stream briefly.

In previous versions any drive with active connections would not spin down, this is what I expect as behaviour.

What exactly do I need to configure in the kernel?  Do you want slackware's ppp package as well?

If you are taking requests of kernel modules, having the vmxnet3 NIC driver would be nice.

Added it for -rc2.

Tom, I fear to ask, but seeing you in good mood I give it a go:

Would it be possible by any chance to have Multimedia, Video for Linux and DVB for Linux modules in their as well to make it easy to run TVHeadend? Currently this requires massive customization and recompiling the kernel.

I don't think this would generate any overhead (other than the slightly bigger package file) to those who don't use this, would it?

Would it be possible by any chance to have Multimedia, Video for Linux and DVB for Linux modules in their as well to make it easy to run TVHeadend? Currently this requires massive customization and recompiling the kernel.

I don't think this would generate any overhead (other than the slightly bigger package file) to those who don't use this, would it?

+1

+1

Shall we get the core hardware working before we start bolting on extras?

Save it for 5.1? ;)

+1

Save it for 5.1? ;)

+1  :)

If you are taking requests of kernel modules, having the vmxnet3 NIC driver would be nice.

Added it for -rc2.

Was this in response to the PPP addition or the vmxnet3 addition? If the vmxnet3 (very nice touch), what version and from which supplier?

+1

Save it for 5.1? ;)

+1  :)

+2

Added it for -rc2.

Was this in response to the PPP addition or the vmxnet3 addition? If the vmxnet3 (very nice touch), what version and from which supplier?

Somewhere in the minor versions kernel 2.6 they added a native vmxnet3 driver..

Very excited to see this thread. Was tossing up which way to go - unraid or something running snapraid with mhddfs (possibly openmediavault). Unraid seemed ideal for my needs with excellent community support but I was a little hesitant to buy a licence  as it looked like development had stalled.

Your attitude and responsiveness in this thread have convinced me to go with unraid. Looking forward to RC2 and a 5.0 final.

Added it for -rc2.

Thanks a million!! This will make all of us who run unRAID in ESXI happy!

why should we be happy about this ?  8) just curious

Added it for -rc2.

Thanks a million!! This will make all of us who run unRAID in ESXI happy!

why should we be happy about this ?  8) just curious

10GBe ESXi Vlan :)

Here is the link for "unRAID OS 5.0-rc2-test".  If you have been following along in this thread, and you have an LSI controller, or you have a Realtek NIC, please give it a try and let me know what issues you find.  I'm expecting everything to be great.  I'm seeing 90+MB/sec read via Samba (win7), and around 47MB/sec write to cache drive - not happy with the write speed, it should be better going to cache.  Also parity sync/check speed has no slow down on any of my test systems.  Note that I have NOT addressed any issue with webGui appearing to "hang" - if you let it sit long enough, it seems to come back.  I realize this is not ideal and will address in rc3.  For now I want to know if LSI chipset issues are solved and Realtek NIC's still work  ;)  If so, I'll release as "official" -rc2, and then work on the webGui issues.

around 47MB/sec write to cache drive - not happy with the write speed, it should be better going to cache.

Were you writing directly to the cache drive or to a share utilizing the cache drive? I've found over multiple betas that writing to the share is slower than writing directly to the cache drive.

+1

Save it for 5.1? ;)

Well,  PPP is not quite core either.

We can argue on vmxnet driver, but I wouldn't consider this to be core either.

My request doesn't require development and can be done in no time, just like PPP and vmxnet driver, so wouldn't delay anything for you. Just because you don't use something, don't jump on someone who does.

+1

Save it for 5.1? ;)

My request doesn't require development and can be done in no time, just like PPP and vmxnet driver, so wouldn't delay anything for you. Just because you don't use something, don't jump on someone who does.

If this feature requires kernel support, and you can tell me what I need to configure in the kernel, I have no problem turning on the feature and rebuilding the kernel.  It won't affect any other functionality, other than adding to the size of the kernel, and RAM footprint it requires.

Here is the link for "unRAID OS 5.0-rc2-test".  If you have been following along in this thread, and you have an LSI controller, or you have a Realtek NIC, please give it a try and let me know what issues you find.  I'm expecting everything to be great.  I'm seeing 90+MB/sec read via Samba (win7), and around 47MB/sec write to cache drive - not happy with the write speed, it should be better going to cache.  Also parity sync/check speed has no slow down on any of my test systems.  Note that I have NOT addressed any issue with webGui appearing to "hang" - if you let it sit long enough, it seems to come back.  I realize this is not ideal and will address in rc3.  For now I want to know if LSI chipset issues are solved and Realtek NIC's still work  ;)  If so, I'll release as "official" -rc2, and then work on the webGui issues.

ok, setup went smoothly, currently running a parity check. started off at 70+ mb/sec. currently at ~60mb/sec (at 25%)

the vmxnet3 driver appears to work (running it as a VM in ESXi)

Thanks Tom, so far my first Beta experiance is a good one! (Touch Wood!!!)

Realtek NIC working here just fine.

+1

Save it for 5.1? ;)

If this feature requires kernel support, and you can tell me what I need to configure in the kernel, I have no problem turning on the feature and rebuilding the kernel.  It won't affect any other functionality, other than adding to the size of the kernel, and RAM footprint it requires.

I'd love to see this as well, thank you limetech & olympia.