CrashPlan & CrashPlan GUI Merger Plugin

Putty is only needed for configuring...

Any developers out there looking to help out on this project? I am dumbfounded as to why this just stops working at random, and I got no idea why :(

Has anyone else here had this running for more than a month without issues?

it seems i am having the exact same problem now.  it just finished doing a 6gb upload to crashplan and then a 2nd separate 6gb copy to a drobo (using crashplan)  now the plugin says it is running but the gui says it is not and the client wont connect. 

anyone figure anything else out?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putty is only needed for configuring...

Any developers out there looking to help out on this project? I am dumbfounded as to why this just stops working at random, and I got no idea why :(

Has anyone else here had this running for more than a month without issues?

it seems i am having the exact same problem now.  it just finished doing a 6gb upload to crashplan and then a 2nd separate 6gb copy to a drobo (using crashplan)  now the plugin says it is running but the gui says it is not and the client wont connect. 

anyone figure anything else out?

No explanation, still stops working for me as well. Someone in another thread had me modify it to allocate more memory to Crashplan but that did not resolve the issue. I'm thinking when crashplan updates that is when it bombs out? If it's just really unreliable.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I decided to give up this method and went this root (if you are using a Windows OS it works fine)

http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/03/12/using-crashplan-to-backup-a-network-share/

I have had no issues for a month or so now. I used his #2 method.

Does this mean you're using a Windows client mapped to unRAID and have given up on the unRAID client? I was hoping to build another unRAID box for offsite backup using CrashPlan, but that isn't a great idea if I need another Windows computer to act as a client.

Does this mean you're using a Windows client mapped to unRAID and have given up on the unRAID client? I was hoping to build another unRAID box for offsite backup using CrashPlan, but that isn't a great idea if I need another Windows computer to act as a client.

I am using my desktop to link to any unRAID server I need to point to, so yes you would need at least 1 Windows machine in your home, but you could make it look at multiple unRAID servers as long as you have enough room for mapped drives in A-Z :). The configuration I posted doesn't require any modifications to unRAID, just modifications to your Windows machine to see the Mapped drives from your unRAID servers.

I installed simplefeature web server and I got some conflict with openssl.0.9.0r which is included in this pakage. Trying to resolve I edited the plg in order to not download the old openssl and keep the new one. The problem is that I cannot run Crashplan anymore. Could somebody include in the plugin the newer version of openssl?

Thankyou in advance :)

• 1 month later...

I'm having problem installing CrashPlan on my machine. First, I can install CP_gui and access it through Settings page. I think by default CP is installed to /usr/local/crashplan

If I enable it, the installation process starts but I do get an error message that /usr/local/crashplan folder already exists. This is symbolic link, so if run command via telnet to unlink this folder, the whole process goes forward, CrashPlan is downloaded and java package is downloaded. When it's done, I can connect to CP via ssh from my desktop. Now, when I reboot the error message /usr/local/crashplan folder already exists comes again. I have to telnet to my server and unlink this folder, then installation proceeds, but CP  and jre are downloaded again! Why?

It seems that I am doing something wrong

• 2 months later...

I'm having problem installing CrashPlan on my machine. First, I can install CP_gui and access it through Settings page. I think by default CP is installed to /usr/local/crashplan

If I enable it, the installation process starts but I do get an error message that /usr/local/crashplan folder already exists. This is symbolic link, so if run command via telnet to unlink this folder, the whole process goes forward, CrashPlan is downloaded and java package is downloaded. When it's done, I can connect to CP via ssh from my desktop. Now, when I reboot the error message /usr/local/crashplan folder already exists comes again. I have to telnet to my server and unlink this folder, then installation proceeds, but CP  and jre are downloaded again! Why?

It seems that I am doing something wrong

im having the exact same issue

• 5 weeks later...

Also having the problem with the folder already exists.

Are there any definitive instructions for:

1) Installing CrashPlan

2) Getting CrashPlan (and required packages - openssh, openssl, ect) to start automatically on reboot

I see many posts about various CrashPlan issues, but few have resolutions.

unRAID seems awesome, but I need some backup utility for my data before I move to this as a solution.  Trying to avoid using a Windows PC as my backup host and backing up across the network...

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone is still trying to make Crashplan work right, but it seems like many people in here are having problems with it since the 5.0 final release of Unraid.  Two buddies and I are trying to get this working for the three of us as well with limited success.  All of us can get the Crashplan service running on Unraid without any difficulty following the steps in this guide.  I also was able to successfully run test backups with a small amount of data (< 1MB) in a variety of scenarios (local area network, wide area network, PC to Unraid and Unraid to Unraid).  I tested backups and recoveries and everything worked.

The way I want CrashPlan to work is where I have it installed on all my windows/mac devices (not tablets/phones) and those devices will backup all the time (incrementally) to my Unraid server at home.  Then I want the Unraid server to use backup all those backups offsite to my two buddies (so I have two offsite copies of my data).  I was a little worried about double-encryption/dedupe, but all my basic tests worked great when I configured this!

All looked good until last night where I tried my first full backup of around 40GB of data and CP crashed on me along with taking down my entire Unraid NAS.  I had to puTTy into Unraid, stop samba, umount my disks, stop mdcmd, and reboot.  Logs reveal running out of memory.  I read in here about the memory setting in the conf file and how v5.0 Unraid folks should use a setting of 1800 or less.  I haven't tested this yet, but even if this gets me back to a functional state, I'm generally concerned about the stability of this plugin on Unraid.  I'm also generally concerned about the lack of development on the plugin (as far as I can tell from the lack of developer updates on this thread as of late).

Anyone have any input, thoughts, or suggestions?

Hi,

I am doing the same - backing up a few PCs using local area connection CrashPlan to CrashPlan and also using CrashPlan on the UnRaid to backup to the cloud.

Works perfectly - only thing you have to do is increase the RAM CrashPlan can use - with defautl 512MB it is to less for a lot of folders and files.

official crashplan support

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/CrashPlan_Runs_Out_Of_Memory_And_Crashes

Linux / Solaris

Stop the backup engine

Using your favorite Terminal based editor, edit the below line in /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf

Edit to something larger such as 1024, 2048. i.e. -Xmx1024m

This sets the maximum amount of memory that CrashPlan can use. CrashPlan will not use that much until it needs it.

As a rule of thumb set about a gigabyte RAM for every terabyte in the file selection.

For example, if you're backing up 1 TB of data set the -Xmx value to 1024 like so: -Xmx1024m

Start the backup engine

Fixed crashes on my site :)

Hi,

I am doing the same - backing up a few PCs using local area connection CrashPlan to CrashPlan and also using CrashPlan on the UnRaid to backup to the cloud.

Works perfectly - only thing you have to do is increase the RAM CrashPlan can use - with defautl 512MB it is to less for a lot of folders and files.

official crashplan support

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/CrashPlan_Runs_Out_Of_Memory_And_Crashes

Linux / Solaris

Stop the backup engine

Using your favorite Terminal based editor, edit the below line in /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf

Edit to something larger such as 1024, 2048. i.e. -Xmx1024m

This sets the maximum amount of memory that CrashPlan can use. CrashPlan will not use that much until it needs it.

As a rule of thumb set about a gigabyte RAM for every terabyte in the file selection.

For example, if you're backing up 1 TB of data set the -Xmx value to 1024 like so: -Xmx1024m

Start the backup engine

Fixed crashes on my site :)

Thank you for the feedback!  I believe I found this information as well and will definitely be trying that tonight.  May I ask what build of unRAID you are using (5.0 final?  newer?  older?).  Also, I read somewhere else on this forum that on 5.0 (final) you couldn't assign more than ~1800.  Something about unRAID plugins being limited to how much memory they can use per plugin I think?

Thanks again for chiming in.  I will definitely be trying to make some settings adjustments tonight and we'll see how it goes.

I should also mention that I think I may have also really screwed myself by having left deduplication on (I'm mainly backing up family videos and pictures, so this isn't really going to be very useful from what I understand about deduplication).  I also left on compression, but don't really care to have my NAS use CPU to do that since my backups probably won't amount to more than about 60GB in total when all is said and done.  I also had my local backup and my backup to my friends all happening at the same time thanks to how I scheduled it.  Now I'm going to schedule my local backups to occur before they replicate to my friends.

I am running 5.0.4 at the moment - and my RAM usage is set to 1024 which fits my needs. Had to do that on most of my desktops PCs as well because they were consuming so much memory and got stuck. Especially if you have thousands and thousands of files :)

I also using dedup and compression - compression is not always making sense thats right - but dedup makes sense all the time - you should at least save 10% bandwith mostly it will be around 30% or something nevertheless if it is compressed or not :)

SO I most of the time use the default settings except the RAM and I am a happy CrashPlan Customer since years :)

I am running 5.0.4 at the moment - and my RAM usage is set to 1024 which fits my needs. Had to do that on most of my desktops PCs as well because they were consuming so much memory and got stuck. Especially if you have thousands and thousands of files :)

I also using dedup and compression - compression is not always making sense thats right - but dedup makes sense all the time - you should at least save 10% bandwith mostly it will be around 30% or something nevertheless if it is compressed or not :)

SO I most of the time use the default settings except the RAM and I am a happy CrashPlan Customer since years :)

Again, thanks for the feedback.  I will be trying this setup again tonight with the RAM settings adjusted to see what I can get.  Deduplication can be huge, but I am not sure if it's file level or block level dedupe.  If block level, images/video don't deduplicate very well there unless you literally have extra copies of the same stuff (which I don't).  Then again, I'm only familiar with Dedupe from two vendors:  NetApp and CommVault.  I'll probably try to leave all that stuff on when I do my next test with the memory adjustment and see where that goes.  Thanks for your help!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've updated the plugin for crashplan 3.5.3. The newer crashplan version works fine for me. I also updated the plugin so that it decompresses to /tmp instead of usb key, so that we don't do unessesary writes to our unraid flash.

Personally I've installed jre 1.7 on my unraid and uses this instead, and it seems to work fine with crashplan, and crashplan says it is supported on the web. The crashplan package will still install the old java 6_25, which is probably just fine. I havn't changed the plugin regarding java, its just info.

Note that if you backup lots of data then you need to increase memory for crashplan. It uses roughly 1 GB ram for each 1 TB under backup. Edit the file crashplan\cp_bin\bin\run.conf and change -Xmx512m to like -Xmx1024m. See this post: http://crashplan.probackup.nl/remote-backup/support/q/keeps-stopping-and-starting.en.html

Best, Alex

run.zip

Crashplan-3.5.3.zip

Hi,

Thanx for a great plugin. But I am confused :)

Used crashplan om my computer, with a subscription for a half a year. Now I would like to use it on my unraid server. (Just 2 disks now, need to buy more to get a cache drive)

Installed to /backup/ and it is running. "backup" is a share spread on the 2 disks.

This directory I understand is /mnt/user/backup ?

But the CrashPlan GUI icon (see picture) tell me something else...

It backup from my computer to the cloud and to "Tower" but when open a tunnel and login to the GUI I entered my key, and clicked yes to transfer the account, and erase the backup I had there.

But when starting to backup to the cloud on my unraid, it only say 185 MB files, instead of 2.4 GB of files, it say it backed up to "Tower".. so I think I only send the install files or something to the cloud, and not my backup-files from crashplan :)

Is there a dummy-guide somewhere? :)

Thank you

crashplan.jpg.bc629966dd25e2ea154be4b91570df38.jpg

crashplan2.jpg.c869544fbef8b73137236f4ac38f6d1a.jpg

It backup from my computer to the cloud and to "Tower" but when open a tunnel and login to the GUI I entered my key, and clicked yes to transfer the account, and erase the backup I had there.

But when starting to backup to the cloud on my unraid, it only say 185 MB files, instead of 2.4 GB of files, it say it backed up to "Tower".. so I think I only send the install files or something to the cloud, and not my backup-files from crashplan :)

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here, but it sounds a little bit like you are trying to use crashplan on unraid to backup to the cloud. And the files on unraid that you want to backup are other crashplan backups from other PCs? If that's the case, I think the crashplan engine specifically ignores crashplan backup files. It is designed to backup "normal" (ie non-backup) files on your PC only. At least that's my understanding. Sorry I can't help more.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here, but it sounds a little bit like you are trying to use crashplan on unraid to backup to the cloud. And the files on unraid that you want to backup are other crashplan backups from other PCs? If that's the case, I think the crashplan engine specifically ignores crashplan backup files. It is designed to backup "normal" (ie non-backup) files on your PC only. At least that's my understanding. Sorry I can't help more.

Hi, yes, I would like to backup all computers in our household (and external computers) to my unraid server, and from there to the CrashPlan cloud.. But if the engine ignore backup-files, I guess it is no point.. and I missunderstood the opportunities of CrashPlan.

Hi, yes, I would like to backup all computers in our household (and external computers) to my unraid server, and from there to the CrashPlan cloud.. But if the engine ignore backup-files, I guess it is no point.. and I missunderstood the opportunities of CrashPlan.

I think they do that so that you can't just buy a one PC unlimited subscription and then backup your whole household through this method. With a family plan, you can backup up to 10 PCs, but that is of course more $.

I backup my entire household with crashplan, but its more involved than the simple 2x crashplan strategy you tried to apply. It probably obvious but anyway: I use Goodsync to synchronize folders between desktop pc's/notebooks and the unRaid server. So the backups of the household pc's are just regular copies of the files. I find this useful because then I can access all my documents from outside the house and from other pcs by connection to unRaid server only.

Crashplan runs on my unRaid and then I have set it to include those shares which are really just copies of household pcs data.

Goodsync works similar to rsync but cost money. Windows native robocopy could probably also be used, if one can live without a GUI. I believe there are lots of (good) sync-tools.

Of cause there is a choice here of backup strategy, and only you can tell which is right for you.

Alex

Just a quick question with i hope a very simple answer !

I have some folders on my backup server which i created in windows as backup destinations without giving it much thought i.e. \Pictures Backup\ \Music backup .... These folders are part of Crashplan backup list running on this server which puts thes folders and several others in the cloud - so far all good.

Now i have been trying to get SNAP to work and struggling a bit with the script, one of the resons being the syntax of upper and lower case, use of spaces etc which is all mixed up, for windows no problem, for linux its becoming a pain trying to work myself through it and making lots of small errors

So the question is if i just go and change this folder to \backuppictures\ \backup_pictures or some other linux friendly name will crashplan just ignore it or will it recognise that a name change has happened and carry on doing its good work? If it does not recognise it do i need to go into Crashplan and add this folder to the backup, remove the other one and do the whole things from scratch - not good as its more then 100gig that would need to be done. What will happen to the backup already done in this case?

Some insight here would be good before i decide to change all the names or live with the effort needed and learn for the future

• 3 weeks later...

A little note for folks, which might be slightly off topic (but this seems like the most active CrashPlan thread).

The new 3.6.3 updates that are being rolled out, may cause a problem when backing up clients to your unraid installation (PC to PC back up).

See this https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/Computer-To-Computer_Backups_Between_CrashPlan_App_3.5.3_And_3.6.3_Do_Not_Connect

Updating the .plg is easy enough (I removed the MD5 check because I couldn't figure out what it was).

For those attempting to connect to your unraid installation with the new 3.6.3 client, the old. ui.conf location is (apparently) no longer used.

Instead, (on Win7 PC) modify C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties with servicePort=4200.

-A

Crashplan-3.6.3.plg.txt

New Crashplan 3.6.3 merged with the gui plugin

best way to install is

remove previous crashplan plg and crashplan gui plg from /boot/config/plugins

add the new Crashplan.3.6.3.plg to /boot/config/plugins (rename the download from Crashplan.3.6.3.plg.txt to Crashplan.3.6.3.plg)

rename your backup in your install dir from crashplan_backup.tgz to crashplan_backup.old

rename cp_bin folder to CP_bin.old

installplg /boot/config/plugins/Crashplan.3.6.3.plg

this will take some time as he will download the new crashplan package

go to the webpage in your GUI

check the installdir if it is correct

enable the plugin

start the plugin

BE AWARE he will download a new Java version which can take a long time to download

look into /boot/temp and you will see the java version .... when you refresh you will see it grow slowly in size ... i think it should become about 32mb

when the /boot/temp dir dissapears then it is completely installed

you should have a window like the one attached

if you want you can delete the old backup and the old cp_bin folder

you can still change the serviceport in c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

so after the installation set the serviceport -> open putty with the port forwarded - > double click on the crashplan tray icon

wait till server window opens

select existing account

add your credentials

IF necessary select which server he needs to adapt too .... (weird one this... on one of my servers he asked to choose which server he needed to take over,  on the other server he took the right account right away)

And all finished

Edited for typo's

Crashplan.3.6.3.plg.txt

crashplan.3.6.3.merged.JPG.bad55a6dff271f8fc027017fa691b3a5.JPG