ProFTPD Plugin for unRAID v6.8.x

SlrG

@Thulsa Doom

You don't need the Webserver functionality to setup a FTP server. It was used to edit the proftpd.conf and configure the FTP server from the plugins settings page. Some unRAID security updates broke this functionality a long time ago and it has been broken since then. I have sadly no time to work on this plugin any longer.

If you want to use the FTP server, only the first setting you have already enabled is relevant. Just edit the proftpd.conf from the shell using vi or nano or by accessing your boot drive from any linux, windows or mac system you have, where you can use a text editor of your choice. Afterwards don't forget to reboot the FTP server, so the new settings get activated. Read through the thread to find how to error check your config and how to enable encryption.

Be aware, that as FTP is by default an unencrypted protocol, it is not recommended to expose it to the internet.

@all

I stopped using unRAID myself so I can't support this plugin any further. If other developers want to take over, feel free to use my code. Thank you all for your support over the years. ❤️

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way that accessing the FTP server too much would cause it to restart? When not home I am trying to watch my media files remotely using the FTP server as my access. It seems to work quite well, but on occasion it seems I loose access to the server. It may just be random Internet issues, but would I see anything in logs somewhere?

@kricker

I would guess that if it crashes because of heavy access over the net, it would crash locally, too. If you hammer it locally and there are no issues, I would suspect the internet connection drops.

Do you use a vpn to access your server? Goes this tunnel down, too and if not, does your server itself stay up or does the whole unraid server crash? By default proftpd logs to the syslog, so in theory you could look there, if there is anything unusual.

@SlrG 

First off thanks for everything you have done for this plugin, I am pretty much a newbie to this stuff and your support is greatly appreciated.

I successfully set up my ftp server following this tutorial (I did change the port from 21 to something less obvious) 

The server works perfectly on my local network, however, as soon as I try to access it from outside the local network, I get the error attached. I'm looked up the error and most issues seem to stem from a firewall or other things I don't understand. Do you know what could be causing this and if there is an easy fix?

Screenshot 2023-03-21 145942.jpg

@DrRooo

Have you setup the MasqueradeAddress and Passive ports in your proftp.conf file?

# using a DNS name
MasqueradeAddress xxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx

# NAT ports should be safe...
PassivePorts ##### #####

Where xxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx is your DNS name (which you can use DuckDNS to get one if you don't already have a static IP or DNS name)

and ##### ##### are the passive ports used to connect to the FTP server. An exampl would be something like this:

# using a DNS name
MasqueradeAddress myserver.duckdns.org

# NAT ports should be safe...
PassivePorts 50500 50525

Those passive ports then need to be added into your router's port forwarding to go to the local IP of your UnRaid server.

You also need to make sure that port 21 (or whatever you changed it to) also is directed to the UnRaid server within the router's port forwarding.

Edited by kricker
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...