unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

It's been several years since I had to deal with this, but how do I modify unMENU to use IP addresses instead of host names to reference its unRAID server?

There is no local DNS nor Master Browser on the network that does internal host name resolution.  No big deal on my computers as I could configure their local host files as necessary, but with the advent of smart phones and tablets, I don't want to deal with individually modifying such devices to fully access all of unMENU's functions which rely heavily on referencing its unRAID server via its host name instead of IP.

So what is entailed to change unMENU's referencing method to IP?

Bump on this; still awaiting someone's insightful help!

Try editing unmenu.conf and add MyHost = [your server IP]

Read the comments in unmenu.awk for another method.

It's been several years since I had to deal with this, but how do I modify unMENU to use IP addresses instead of host names to reference its unRAID server?

There is no local DNS nor Master Browser on the network that does internal host name resolution.  No big deal on my computers as I could configure their local host files as necessary, but with the advent of smart phones and tablets, I don't want to deal with individually modifying such devices to fully access all of unMENU's functions which rely heavily on referencing its unRAID server via its host name instead of IP.

So what is entailed to change unMENU's referencing method to IP?

Bump on this; still awaiting someone's insightful help!

Don't modify unmenu.conf.

Edit unmenu_local.conf and add these lines:

MyHost = [your server IP]

unRAIDHost = [your server IP]

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

small typo in the Perl package, 'cownload' should be 'download will be':

whats currently listed, can see it doesn't make too much sense. grammar.

PACKAGE_VARIABLE Install MP3 Libraries (YES/NO)||vINSTALL_MP3=NO||If set to "YES", PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install MP3::Tag' will be invoked and CPAN cownload attempted as part of the installation

Joe, I noticed that under the list of drives in the array.. the boot drive always shows up twice.. is it suppose to?

See image:

unmenu9.png.b9faacb8a88d66223decf3f3d715c99b.png

Joe,

PACKAGE_VARIABLE Install MP3 Libraries (YES/NO)||vINSTALL_MP3=NO||If set to "YES", PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install MP3::Tag' will be invoked and CPAN cownload attempted as part of the installation

Looks like I need t fix that.

Joe, I noticed that under the list of drives in the array.. the boot drive always shows up twice.. is it suppose to?

See image:

No.  It does not show on mine... See my screen shot in the first post of this thread

Joe,

See image:

No.  It does not show on mine... See my screen shot in the first post of this thread

just checked my main unraid box, same thing there... flash drive shows up under drive not protected by array when it shouldnt...

unmenu9b.png.26e61ab2678203eff2955c5efa1c14f2.png

Joe,

See image:

just checked my main unraid box, same thing there... flash drive shows up under drive not protected by array when it shouldnt...

Notice that in both your screen shots that the model/serial number of the flash drive is blank.  (probably why it cannot find it to exclude it)

Joe,

See image:

Notice that in both your screen shots that the model/serial number of the flash drive is blank.  (probably why it cannot find it to exclude it)

in unraid.. it can find the serial without any problems.

unraid1.png.3fbed014f6f1444be833b794bb2f337e.png

Here is a new python 2.x package, it includes an option to install python-cheetah (like we do for the PERL package).

Thus, this can replace the existing python-2.6.4 package, and also the python-cheetah package as well.

Joe, does unmenu's package logic support checking a variable before d/ling an additional package? Currently I just include the package additionally and then check the variable if we should install it or not

python-2.6.6-unmenu-package.conf

Joe,

See image:

rebooted the box, now unmenu sees the serial... and unraid only sees it partially

unmenu9c.png.8f496bd6fb0d5e0fa42eb37770074469.png

unraid2.png.717dd1ebe17306c3a24c30d65abde4e9.png

I finally got around to trying to implement this but could not locate the unmenu_local.conf file; where is it?

I finally got around to trying to implement this but could not locate the unmenu_local.conf file; where is it?

Should be in /boot/unmenu.

Please report back.  I'm still not able to get UnRAID Main working via UnMenu on my iPhone or iPad.  I was able to get UnRAID Main to work though so it's a workaround that allows me to shutdown my server remotely (i.e. within my wireless network).

Question:  Why does unMENU need to access www.ajax.googleapis.com?

I am guessing in that one of the more recent additions to it positions it to be able to handle ajax calls in JavaScript.  I do not that any are in use at this time.

I see it being access on several pages, such as unMENU syslog.  I realize Google has their hands in a lot of things these days, but do we really need it in our media servers?

so what you are talking about is just the loading of jquery from google's CDN. which if theres one place that your browser prob has it cached... its from there. its a common tactic used when your not including the lib yourself.

theHEAD = theHEAD "<script type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.min.js\"></script>"

now, off the top of my head I dont think unmenu actually has the need for jquery anywhere.. this was added on the 1.6 push:

http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/diff?spec=svn262&r=262&format=side&path=/trunk/unmenu.awk

upon digging it looks like its included because in unmenu.conf users can load their own css/js:

UNMENU_SKIN_JS = /var/log/images/stock/unmenu.js

okay, there is 1 line of code.. scrollTo which is found in (which scrolls the browser to the top of the page on load):

http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/diff?spec=svn262&r=262&format=side&path=/trunk/images/stock/unmenu.js

the code could just be rewritten in native prototype/js.. or just nuke the code for now and people just deal with scrolling the window up if needed.

or joe could just include jquery with unmenu and save the url call for those that are paranoid.

Hi Zoggy

not paranoid .. but sometimes the query to that google page stops the page from loading completely in firefox...

the spinning wheel in the unmenu tab never stops....

what i do mostly is stopping it manually but then the page is not being refreshed any more ...

prime example of why its always suggested that JS stuff is to be placed at the bottom of the page..  although some would argue that they dont want the page to load to only yet be modified by the JS lib to force a redraw/blocking action... but to each their own. anyways i can submit a fix if needed

Please report back.  I'm still not able to get UnRAID Main working via UnMenu on my iPhone or iPad.  I was able to get UnRAID Main to work though so it's a workaround that allows me to shutdown my server remotely (i.e. within my wireless network).

I edited unmenu.conf and added those 2 lines with the IP address of the server and when connected via VPN I could access everything.  It just doesn't show pretty "Tower unRAID Server" on top of the menus...  Maybe I can do a script at the end with $("#topTitle").html("Tower unRAID Server");  or  theMenu = theMenu "<div style=\"clear:both\"></div></div><div id=\"topTitle\">Tower" on unmenu.awk

i.e.

MyHost = 192.168.1.2

unRAIDHost = 192.168.1.2

EDIT:

It was easier to modify uu and add -v MyHost=192.168.1.2 to awk -W......... and leave #MyHost commented...

Joe, what do you think of going somewhat down this route for the package manager in unmenu?

http://jsfiddle.net/s4tLy/1/

this is just a mockup i did while at work. it obviously needs some work.

this would allow people to sort the list, search, etc.

clicking on the package would take you to the package setup page, currently clicking on the package expands it details then we could toss in a button there to 'configure' said plugin which takes you to the normal page. thus this would mainyl just be a drop in replacement for the existing page.