unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

I've had two UnMenu updates that do not seem to install, they always show when I check for updates:

dynamic-dns-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 242  Date: 2011-08-06 10:34:39 -0400 (Sat, 06 Aug 2011)

myMain_local.conf :Revision: 182  Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)

Any ideas?

I've had two UnMenu updates that do not seem to install, they always show when I check for updates:

dynamic-dns-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 242  Date: 2011-08-06 10:34:39 -0400 (Sat, 06 Aug 2011)

myMain_local.conf :Revision: 182  Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)

Any ideas?

No, I don't know why there are occasionally updates that don't install => perhaps Joe can comment on that.

I suspect they're either been superseded by other updates; or are no longer on the host for downloading.  FWIW I also get the "myMain" one whenever I check -- but not the dynamic-dns package (probably has to do with what packages you actually have installed)

To confirm...

Plugin/webGui/Upgrade webGui

plugins/webGui-latest.plg

plugins/webGui-latest.txz

[X] - Yes I want to do this

?

that has absolutely nothing to do with unMENU.    It is not how to update unMENU.

If you have unMENU installed, click on

User-Scripts->Check for unMENU Updates

followed by clicking on

Install-Updates.

A package will not self-install IF you have added AUTO_UPDATE=NO

to it.  It is left in the "tmp" directory.  Perhaps that is the case.

myMain_local.conf will never update itself.  It is for your local changes. YOU must merge them if you wish.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Attached are some tweaks I am sharing in case others might find them helpful or should Joe care to incorporate them in unMENU.

• I noticed that the S3 sleep function in User Scripts hadn't been recoded to support unMENU 5.0 so I created a sub-script to do that.

• I also created a sub-script to call for S3 sleep using the S2RAM utility, which I need to use on my own system. Note S2RAM must be installed first along with libx86 and the parameters need to be edited to work with the motherboard being used.

• Finally I modified the System Info / Ethernet Info script section to report on both eth0 & eth1 for use when two nics are installed and used for NIC bonding.

The three scripts are in the attached zip.

unmenu_tweaks.zip

personally i think there should be a 4.x unmenu and a 5.x unmenu. so many packages/scripts/etc that could be dropped for a 5.x only unmenu. thoughts?

Perhaps an option or flag could be added into user script and package conf files to limit what unraid version they apply to.

That is probably the easiest/best approach.
  • 4 weeks later...

I have unMenu installed & working properly now (after sorting out some disk/controller issues). Greatly appreciate all the work that's gone into this!

What's the difference between the versions of SAB, Sick & CP that are installable via unMenu packages vs the plugins that are available, specifically, Influencer's http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21260.0 ?

EDIT:

Two major differences that I can identify:

1) unMENU gets sub-directory permissions set properly so that SAB can actually download files. For some reason, the plugin version was creating directories read-only.

2) unMENU is installing SAB v0.6.7, while Influencer's plugin installed v0.7.5.

I'm not sure how unMENU has found such an old version of SAB. I had been running unRAID 4.7, and had a newer version of SAB installed, via unMENU, right from the start. I have screen shots of all my configuration made prior to updating from 4.7 to 5.0.4, and there are huge differences in style, layout and option availability between my screen shots and what's currently installed via unMENU.

I recall from earlier conversations, that Joe L is very much in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp when it comes to updating the utilities installed by unMENU, but this one does seem to have gone back quite a bit in time. What are the ramifications of using SAB's built in updater? Has anyone tried this to see what happens?

Thanks again, Joe, zoggy, et al for your work in making and supporting unMENU.

OK, so I attempted to upgrade to SAB 0.7.16.  (EDIT: running the built-in updater just takes you to the sourceforge download page.)

I edited /boot/packages/sabnzbd-unmenu-package.conf by making these changes:

# sabnzbd
#PACKAGE_URL http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbdplus/files/sabnzbdplus/sabnzbd-0.6.7/SABnzbd-0.6.7-src.tar.gz/download
#PACKAGE_FILE SABnzbd-0.6.7-src.tar.gz
#PACKAGE_MD5 51fe9b36a8238a04abc2213d1eeec4e2
PACKAGE_URL http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbdplus/files/sabnzbdplus/0.7.16/SABnzbd-0.7.16-src.tar.gz/download
PACKAGE_FILE SABnzbd-0.7.16-src.tar.gz
PACKAGE_MD5 13f7ff753e22e81fa6f7efab8c3c7213

(I'm a comment-the-old-code-just-in-case-I-need-it kinda guy, what can I say)

I then stopped SAB and went into unMENU's package manager. It showed the new version, and it said "installed but not downloaded". I clicked the button which indicated it would download SAB, which it did. I clicked the 'user scripts' button to restart SAB, and still had ver 0.6.7.  I rebooted, and still have 0.6.7.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. What do I do to get the newer version installed?

I just install nano to my testbox and I noticed all these unmenu entries, I'm guessing I don't need them all, just 1 to start unmenu.?

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
installpkg /boot/extra/nano-2.2.4-i486-1.txz
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
echo "/boot/unmenu/uu" >> /boot/config/go
/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu
/boot/unmenu/uu

you only need one of the "/boot/unmenu/uu" commands.  You can delete the others.

The

'echo "/boot/unmenu/uu">>/boot/config/go'

line above them all needs to be removed completely,  It should NEVER have been added t the go file at all.  It should only have been typed once from the command line to add the initial "/boot/unmenu/uu" to the bottom of the go script.

If you put the "nano" package.tgz file in /boot/extra, then it will automatically be installed upon reboot. 

(files in /boot/extra are installed using  installpkg "filename" whenever you reboot.)

No need for a line for its install in the go file.

That line should be removed too, as otherwise you are installing it twice.

The resulting "go" file would then look like this:

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

• 2 weeks later...