BitTorrent Sync now available; and runs on unraid!

FYI, am about 70% complete in writing a plugin for this.  Someone else may beat me to it which is fine.  There's not much to it really.  Just needs something simple to install the app and configure the absolute basics from within the unraid webgui, then hand-off the rest of the config work to the app itself.

I literally gave you the exact code you need to copy and paste into your go script. You don't need a plg for this, it's literally download, extract, run. No dependencies, no special configuration files, nothing.

How about for those who don't want to use a command line to create and edit the config, what if you want to be able to set the webgui port or choose where to site the config file so that it's not on ram or flash?  Or select where your default sync location?  What about starting and stopping the daemon?

A. You can do it using SMB

B. You have me on that

C. Sync.conf

D. Modify one line, which, is the exact same as a web-UI, just in a file editor vs a website

E. That's part of the web-UI of the program, there is no "Default", everything is manual.

F. You have me on that

Your points are all basically admitting he is right, but there are more complicated ways to do the install and configuration that involve more steps so a plugin isn't needed.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, am about 70% complete in writing a plugin for this.  Someone else may beat me to it which is fine.  There's not much to it really.  Just needs something simple to install the app and configure the absolute basics from within the unraid webgui, then hand-off the rest of the config work to the app itself.

There's not really a need to configure anything. Just run ./btsync and hit the web interface for it.

Err, in fact, I believe that it might keep disks running, just for the pure reason that seems (Untested, just from looking at inotifywait) to continually read (E.G. Require disk to be spinning) .SyncID in the base directory.

What you could do (if you're so inclined) is to make a symbolic link to ram, thus keeping disks down, assuming that symbolic links are cached (Which they probably aren't), or, an even better idea would be to modify the "mover" script and force .SyncID to stay on the cache drive forever, just keeping that up.

Right... so why not just leave the tiny bit of information in /boot/custom or somewhere on the flash? Dead simple that way. No config files needed. Just launch it and use the web interface.

All you need to do is place 'btsync' in /boot/custom/ and launch it from there. It creates a .sync folder w/ all of it's foo in there. Problem solved!

Might want to keep track of the writes, both frequency and total quantity, since that location is on the flash. Probably be better to stick it on your cache drive or on an array disk.

Or ram? Unless one of your disks in an SSD (Like my cache drive is) I'd recommend to dump it in RAM, It's 100KB for god's sake

Since I haven't actually seen it run, I was unaware that the file(s) in question was a static 100KB file. If the file is going to grow significantly during use, RAM is a bad idea, if it's written frequently, flash is a bad idea. That's why I suggested a disk.

I literally gave you the exact code you need to copy and paste into your go script. You don't need a plg for this, it's literally download, extract, run. No dependencies, no special configuration files, nothing.

How about for those who don't want to use a command line to create and edit the config, what if you want to be able to set the webgui port or choose where to site the config file so that it's not on ram or flash?  Or select where your default sync location?  What about starting and stopping the daemon?

A. You can do it using SMB

B. You have me on that

C. Sync.conf

D. Modify one line, which, is the exact same as a web-UI, just in a file editor vs a website

E. That's part of the web-UI of the program, there is no "Default", everything is manual.

F. You have me on that

Your points are all basically admitting he is right, but there are more complicated ways to do the install and configuration that involve more steps so a plugin isn't needed.

Only played briefly with it over my early morning coffee.  At the time I simply considered where I'd want to run the binary from, where the config file would live, where the .sync dir should go and where in its gui is the option to stop the daemon once it's running.  Probably missed that last one as I wasn't fully awake at the time.  Perhaps I need to invest some more time in it before assuming it warrants a plugin.  For now I think I'll back off and let others decide.

I like the idea of a plug in. It makes life even easier and saves editing stuff.

That said not sure I like the idea of it not allowing a drive to spin down :-(

I would want what i would be syncing to be protected on the array, any development work I do on my laptop I would want synced and protected.

same with any images I chance take with other mobile devices when the clients come out (android).

Got a question.

I set up BTsync on my unraid, changed the listen port to 8086 and setup a folder in the web gui and generated a secret.

I opened appropriate ports on my home router.

At work I opened the listen port and changed the port on BTsync for windows to 8086 as well.

I setup a folder with the secret and opened the port on our company firewall.

I also enabled Search DHT network

Problem is the file that I create in the BTsync folder does not sync to my Unraid server.

Any ideas why?

Never mind, it's a firewall issue, I guess there are some other ports that need to be opened.

Solved: Both, listen port # and port 3000 UDP needed to be opened on the firewall.

Got a question.

I set up BTsync on my unraid, changed the listen port to 8086 and setup a folder in the web gui and generated a secret.

I opened appropriate ports on my home router.

At work I opened the listen port and changed the port on BTsync for windows to 8086 as well.

I setup a folder with the secret and opened the port on our company firewall.

I also enabled Search DHT network

Problem is the file that I create in the BTsync folder does not sync to my Unraid server.

Any ideas why?

Never mind, it's a firewall issue, I guess there are some other ports that need to be opened.

Can I ask what other ports? I'm having issues with WAN transfers, LAN works fine.

EDIT:- my bad, this program uses UDP, not TCP, for the bittorrent protocol. I'm an idiot.

I've been using the windows version of Syncapp for several weeks -- works about 98% great.  Sometimes there are some glitches where I need to restart the app, but have never lost any data or had any major issues.  Performance is really good, and I'm syncing about 30,000 files across 3 different computers (2 locally networked, 1 remote).

They recently implemented a one-way sync feature, which will be great for off-site media library backups.  I am looking forward to getting the Unraid plug-in that overbyrn is developing -- I've been hoping for one ever since I learned about Syncapp.  Thanks a ton for the effort!

They recently implemented a one-way sync feature, which will be great for off-site media library backups.  I am looking forward to getting the Unraid plug-in that overbyrn is developing -- I've been hoping for one ever since I learned about Syncapp.  Thanks a ton for the effort!

Wow, great.

Now I do want it.  :P

Come on overbyrn  ;D

Has anyone given any further thought to the spin down issue?

Installing to RAM strikes me as problematic, the secret key would change after each reboot.

Hi, I saw you on the bittorrent forum!

As for my example, I said store the data on a legitimate drive, however, use a symbolic link to link the syncID file to your cache drive.

After two days with BTSync I'm pretty sure that it will replace Dropbox on my site. Four machines in LAN (2 x unRAID, 2 x Windows 8), nearly 70,000 files. It's working great.

I start it in /boot/config/go with:

cd /boot/custom
./btsync --config /boot/custom/btsync.conf

I've directed a shared folder to a folder on /mnt/disk1. What puzzles me is an additional folder named (BTSync) on that same drive. It does contain internal stuff of BTSync. I would like to move that folder somewhere else. Didn't find an option to do so til now .... I did mis-interpret the storage_path setting in the conf file. It's the path to BTSyncs internal files and not my storage.

Currently I need to kill the app on unRAID before stopping the array. So thumbs up for a plugin.

Regards

After two days with BTSync I'm pretty sure that it will replace Dropbox on my site. Four machines in LAN (2 x unRAID, 2 x Windows 8), nearly 70,000 files. It's working great.

I start it in /boot/config/go with:

cd /boot/custom
./btsync --config /boot/custom/btsync.conf

I've directed a shared folder to a folder on /mnt/disk1. What puzzles me is an additional folder named (BTSync) on that same drive. It does contain internal stuff of BTSync. I would like to move that folder somewhere else. Didn't find an option to do so til now ...

Currently I need to kill the app on unRAID before stopping the array. So thumbs up for a plugin.

Regards

I wouldn't use relative directories at-all unless it's required. Update your go script to be:-

/boot/custom/btsync --config /boot/custom/btsync.conf

With no "CD" command, or, at-least, I would.

Good idea, thanks - changed my go script.

Now after a day more first problems show up.

* My four machines now report four different counts of files in the folder that's synced.

* When I try to move missing files to one of the machines they start PingPong. One machine copies (adds) files and the other one removes them again.

* I have some permission problems because of the root:root files.

Regards.

Good idea, thanks - changed my go script.

Now after a day more first problems show up.

* My four machines now report four different counts of files in the folder that's synced.

* When I try to move missing files to one of the machines they start PingPong. One machine copies (adds) files and the other one removes them again.

* I have some permission problems because of the root:root files.

Regards.

1. No idea? Are you sure that they are synced? Run the command below on all four machines, are they all the same?:-

find "/mnt/user/Path/To/The/Folder/You're/Syncing" -type f | wc -l

2. Personally, I'd say move all the files away from the folder you're trying to sync, start from scratch (New BTSync configuration), then add the files on one machine, let it sync, then add it on the next, let it sync, etc.. all the way till all four are done

3. No idea, I'm not very good with linux.

Is anyone else seeing an issue where the application is not saving/remembering settings after a restart of the btsync process?  I thought I would look at completing the framework plugin but oddly it seems that once I start the application sufficiently to add a directory within its own gui and then subsequently kill the process, upon restart it forgets about the previous config.

Found this mentioned on their forum: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/18338-linux-all-settings-are-gone-after-stopping-btsync/

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has configured it, got it running, killed the process and restarted again and can see everything that was setup before the kill.

Thanks,

overbyrn.

I never had any problems with the settings - at the end. The working storage path was set to "/mnt/disk1/.sync". When using "/mnt/user/..." or "/boot/custom/..." I did experience various problems. The tool was started in the go file (see above) and killed manually before shutting down the array.

I had lots of other problems and finally stopped using this alpha release. It's far, far, far from usuable.

I can't confirm that. BTSync has it's drawbacks but it's using it's settings after a reboot. Here's my "/boot/config/go". The idea is from automatic (I think). He did post his init.d in the btsync forum and I did use that "sudo -u" for my go script:

cd /boot/custom
sudo -u myuser /boot/custom/btsync --config /boot/custom/btsync.conf

I had some problems with permissions when root starts btsync. When using a standard user it works perfect.

I don't have a cache drive so I use "/mnt/disk1/" as my storage_path and for the shared folders. Here's the part of my btsync.conf:

{
  "device_name": "Tower",
  "listening_port" : 0,
  "storage_path" : "/mnt/disk1/Private/.sync/",
  /* Shared folders in /mnt/disk1/Private/" */
  "check_for_updates" : true,
  "use_upnp" : true,
  "download_limit" : 0,
  "upload_limit" : 0,
  "webui" :
  {
    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",
    "login" : "user",
    "password" : "password"
  }
}

The only thing that's nasty - as always with unRAID: I need to start Putty, open a console and "killall btsync" before stopping the array. I can't believe that this is still needed after 5 years using unRAID. Must be a Linux thing ...

I can't confirm that. BTSync has it's drawbacks but it's using it's settings after a reboot. Here's my "/boot/config/go". The idea is from automatic (I think). He did post his init.d in the btsync forum and I did use that "sudo -u" for my go script:

cd /boot/custom
sudo -u myuser /boot/custom/btsync --config /boot/custom/btsync.conf

I had some problems with permissions when root starts btsync. When using a standard user it works perfect.

I don't have a cache drive so I use "/mnt/disk1/" as my storage_path and for the shared folders. Here's the part of my btsync.conf:

{
  "device_name": "Tower",
  "listening_port" : 0,
  "storage_path" : "/mnt/disk1/Private/.sync/",
  /* Shared folders in /mnt/disk1/Private/" */
  "check_for_updates" : true,
  "use_upnp" : true,
  "download_limit" : 0,
  "upload_limit" : 0,
  "webui" :
  {
    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",
    "login" : "user",
    "password" : "password"
  }
}

The only thing that's nasty - as always with unRAID: I need to start Putty, open a console and "killall btsync" before stopping the array. I can't believe that this is still needed after 5 years using unRAID. Must be a Linux thing ...

There's a way to run bash scripts upon certain events with unRAID, one of them is on unmount. I can't remember exactly what the location was, so, either wait for Joe to post here or scroll through my threads where Joe told me how to do it.

There's a way to run bash scripts upon certain events with unRAID, one of them is on unmount. I can't remember exactly what the location was, so, either wait for Joe to post here or scroll through my threads where Joe told me how to do it.

If I do hit "Stop" on the unRAID Web-GUI it's my will to stop the array. The system can kill all running processes then ...

I don't want to play around with init.d files or something like that - I'm a stupid user - no Linux admin ;-)

So, +1 for a stable and good running plugin.

BTW, I'm on btsync 132 currently. It's working way better than the previous ones.