XBMC Standalone Library Updater for UnRAID

I honestly do not know what version was on my server to begin with. The .plg on the server was maybe 2 weeks old tops and I only just started installing and messing with both mysql and xbmc salud.  The only thing I can say is that the default install for me did not have the webserver part set to true.

On a related note:

A couple of shows downloaded last night (Falling Skies and True Blood).  They have been added to the library from what I can tell but they are not added like I would expect.  See the attached photo for what I mean.

Basically, the first three were put into the system by using the "update library on startup" while the last one was put into the database via SickBeard and the xbmc salud process.

Does anyone know the reason why the update to the library would be different?

ah, but you did have a previous version. there was a test version or two where i did not have the webserver enabled. it should have overwritten the older on with the newer one but from the sounds of the language file issue, there may be permissions issues. i will have to look into that sometime.

as for the updates, try checking it again. i think it is just the way your xbmc player reads it and not anything to do with the way salud does a library scan. i too have scanned the library and then went to check my xbmc and seen stuff named exactly as your photo is but it was normal when i went back to it a few minutes later.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, but you did have a previous version. there was a test version or two where i did not have the webserver enabled. it should have overwritten the older on with the newer one but from the sounds of the language file issue, there may be permissions issues. i will have to look into that sometime.

I can try reinstalling from scratch, for grins and giggles.

as for the updates, try checking it again. i think it is just the way your xbmc player reads it and not anything to do with the way salud does a library scan. i too have scanned the library and then went to check my xbmc and seen stuff named exactly as your photo is but it was normal when i went back to it a few minutes later.

I will check again when I get home but that example I showed was from this morning.  That show had been downloaded and loaded into the mysql library at about 12am this morning.  I then loaded and looked in XBMC on my Mac this morning.

I will check again when I get home but that example I showed was from this morning.  That show had been downloaded and loaded into the mysql library at about 12am this morning.  I then loaded and looked in XBMC on my Mac this morning.

ok. let me know how it goes. it still sounds consistent with what i'm thinking since xbmc was just only loaded that morning to look at it. in my experience with xbmc, when i view a new addition in the library, it will appear different as you show it. i attribute this so the fact that even though it is in the library, xbmc has not ever displayed this item in the library on screen to the user and has not cached/scraped/whatever the title yet. this seems to me to be an issue with the skin or gui and how is displays the item as opposed to the library update. it always fixes itself for me after a minute or so.

ok. let me know how it goes. it still sounds consistent with what i'm thinking since xbmc was just only loaded that morning to look at it. in my experience with xbmc, when i view a new addition in the library, it will appear different as you show it. i attribute this so the fact that even though it is in the library, xbmc has not ever displayed this item in the library on screen to the user and has not cached/scraped/whatever the title yet. this seems to me to be an issue with the skin or gui and how is displays the item as opposed to the library update. it always fixes itself for me after a minute or so.

I am using the Aeon Nox skin, simply because I prefer the way it looks and the many different layout options available.  The issue I mentioned earlier is still present after having just gotten home and opened XBMC back up to check.

I did switch to a different skin, Confluence (default XBMC) and it is at least consistent in the way it displays the info, names, and the like.

I will have to get on the XBMC forum and see if someone from the AEON NOX group can help out.

Side note: How would I go about doing this same thing for my Movies?  I don't use couch potato so I would need something else to add the entry to the mysql library I would assume.

Screen_Shot_2013-07-01_at_5_38.35_PM.png.6dbe4597533c0fcb62df26435b842b4f.png

there are actually two ways to scan the library with this plugin. since the concept of a headless xbmc is still new, this is kind of a kludge and was a separate app written by an xbmc forum user. basically, xbmc will run as a headless webserver/daemon listening for json requests. but there is also a separate binary that will just do a one time scan, not as a daemon, and exit. this is what is ran if you click the library scan button when the plugin is stopped. if you dont use couch potato, you can either setup a cron job of some kind to scan every hour or what have you, or just run it manually through the plugin. i think the binary is called xbmclibraryscan.bin or something like that. cron job support is something i eventually would like to add but now that the plugin is stable and working, i have put any new development on the back burner for a while until i get the time. too much going on at the moment.

I had similar problems with the naming of shows.  I had sickbeard set to auto rename shows to the same format (sn - s0e0 - en.mkv) but it seemed like it wouldn't sometimes and I would have to manually do it through sickbeard. I have sabnzb do it now on download to mnt/cache/TV_Shows/showname/season0/episodes.mkv  then for now I manually xbmcsalud scan. I would like to automate it more but also wouldn't want it repeatedly scanning for every download if there's several.

plugin is working great. If I wanted to try the new gothem versions. Can we get that to work with this assuming the database version have changed

i believe gotham uses the same database version as frodo, at least for now, so there should be no issue using this with any gotham versions in your setup. this is built from 12.2 frodo instead of gotham as gotham is still in testing.

I have this running currently, but I ran into a few problems during the install:

[*]I had the same language/English file issues that others had. I had to copy the strings.xml and langinfo.xml files from a working XBMC installation before Salud would run.

[*]I noticed that whenever XBMC was started or restarted (either from installplg when unRAID boots or when I stop/start/restart XBMC from the web page) that sources.xml and advancedsettings.xml would always be copied from /boot/config/plugins/xbmc/ to $DATADIR. I suggest you should first check to see if the destination files exist. I was making changes to these files in $DATADIR and had my changes wiped out.

After I figured those out, I got it to start correctly. However, it doesn't appear to be recognizing new items in the video library. I see this in the log:

13:10:17 T:2987391856  DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc
13:10:17 T:2987391856  DEBUG: JSONRPC: Incoming request: { "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Scan", "id": "mybash"}
13:10:17 T:2987391856  DEBUG: JSONRPC: Calling videolibrary.scan
13:10:17 T:3022486384  NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
13:10:17 T:3022486384  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
13:10:17 T:3022486384  DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScanStarted from xbmc
13:10:17 T:3022486384  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 00:00
13:10:17 T:3022486384  DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScanFinished from xbmc
13:10:17 T:3022486384  DEBUG: Thread CVideoInfoScanner 3022486384 terminating

But it doesn't actually add anything to the library. "Clean Video Library" works the same way. I've verified that XBMC works fine on another PC with the same paths (and user/password) and the MySQL library running on unRAID. Since Salud is running on the same machine as the shared videos, I decided to try path substitution in advancedsettings.xml to have it use the local path instead of the smb path:

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>smb://crypt/tv/</from>
            <to>/mnt/user/TV/</to>
        </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

It doesn't seem to have an effect though. Is there any other way to debug XBMC to see if it's not scanning directories properly?

it is that way by design for a number of reasons. it easier for the user, especially the less savvy ones to put them in the plugin directory than $DATADIR, it keeps the settings centralized, avoids issues if a user changes the directory, etc. if you need to make changes to the files, make changes to the ones in /boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud instead of $DATADIR. if you where meant to make changes to the copies in $DATADIR, then i would have the user put the needed files in there instead of /boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud.

it is not finding the directory for some reason. a few pages back someone had an issue with this and it was an smb issue. ive never used path substitution so i dont know if it is set up right or not. post up the full debug log and i can take a look.

edit: also i just did a quick fix for the permissions issue. it should work but anyone let me know if they still get issues.

Any chance you can compile a test version using a Gotham nightly as the source? I have my HTPC set as a source, but if it is off when the server scans, all those items get scrubbed from the library. I could turn off the clean on update function, but I'd love to test the WOA ability in Gotham.

WOA huh? ive been wanting that feature for a while. i did consider a test gotham version a while ago but decided it was too much work for too little benefit (at the time). i might compile a test version eventually but not anywhere in the near future. i am just too busy and i dont even know when i will have a chance. piotrasd was the one that took over the compiling anyway and he must be busy as well because i havent heard from him since we got a stable version of the plugin.

I went and installed this from scratch tonight on my production box and I still run into the language file issue I and others have mentioned earlier. I also still have the issue of the web server not being enabled by default, which means nothing really works until I edit the guisettings.xml file.

This causes xbmcsalud to not completely start, though the web interface shows that it is running.  A "ps -ef" shows no running xbmc instance on the server.

I am thinking of trying this plugin out as I am currently using a VMware image of openelec to help keep my shared library up to date. So maybe you can answer this what are the names of the MySQL video and music database named?  MyMusic32 & MyVideos75 ? 

Thanks

I am thinking of trying this plugin out as I am currently using a VMware image of openelec to help keep my shared library up to date. So maybe you can answer this what are the names of the MySQL video and music database named?  MyMusic32 & MyVideos75 ? 

Thanks

yep

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_databases/Version_table

now that i think about it, it may be a good idea to put that link on the OP.

i thought so, just checking. i will have to take a look sometime. i just added a simple chmod and didnt test it since i dont get the error. i was hoping that fixed it but i guess i will have to take a better look when i get the time.

Thanks for taking a look.

Of note also, was that the webserver was not enabled by default for me either.  Once the package installed and started up with the above tweaks the webserver was still set to false for me.

I don't know why this happens but it is.