unRAID with SABnzbd

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure.   But since the buttons are simply tiny scripts, you can do it yourself.

Run these commands

echo '#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Power Down' >/boot/unmenu/99-unmenu_user_script_powerdown

echo '#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR Power Down the unRAID server' >>/boot/unmenu/99-unmenu_user_script_powerdown

echo '#define USER_SCRIPT_TEST [ -x /sbin/powerdown ] && echo "Power Down"' >>/boot/unmenu/99-unmenu_user_script_powerdown

echo 'echo "<pre>"' >>/boot/unmenu/99-unmenu_user_script_powerdown

echo '/sbin/powerdown' >>/boot/unmenu/99-unmenu_user_script_powerdown

Note: the button will not show itself unless you install the powerdown package.

Joe L.

Joe, I ran those commands from ssh but I dont see a button, where is it supposed to show up?

Edit - I found it in unMenu User Scripts.  For some reason I thought it was going to show up in the regular command area for unraid Main

Though I cant say for sure because I dont know what dependencies have, I can say that I have sickbeard running perfectly on my unraid and I currently have the latest version and used the dependencies 1.3 which were on kodes tutorial to install sabnzbd and sickbeard (tweaking for the latest sabnzbd version)

Hey guys,

New to the forums and unRAID.

Just wondering what you guys are doing about SAB's installation location. I did not install it on the cache drive (still evaluating the basic edition). I created a user share instead on /mnt/user/custom and followed the instructions as per the previous poster. Any reasons why it would not be advisable to install SAB + Sickbeard on a user share?

Thanks for the help.

Joe.

SickBeard + Couchpotato has me settled. The advantage of CP for me is that it allows me to keep a list of movie I always wanted to see in BR quality but are not yet released. The moment it will, they will be snatched. It saves me the work of making a manual search every 3 months.

The only disadvantage of sickbeard is that when it renames episodes, codec and scene release are removed from the filename. It removes the original nfo as well. Other than than, it awesome!

Hi

I'm having some troubles here.

I'm using Romirs sabnzbddependencies package, but i need to add libtbb.so and libtbb.so.2 to the package.

What I did, was extract the tgz file add the 2 files and created a .tar file from the folder. Changed the ending of the file from .tar to .tgz and copied it to my package folder in unraid flash.

When I run "installpkg /boot/packages/sabdependencies-2.0.tgz" command I  get the following

"WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'"

I cannot install sabnzbd afterwards, so it seems that the sabdependencies have not been installed.

Do any of you have any idea what i'm doing wrong and how you create a .tgz file that unraid can install.

Hello everyone,

while I'm not only new to unRAID, I'm also new to linux.

After doing some research to figure out, what exactly it is, you all got so exited about regarding some software called SABnzbd

I finally think i got it ;)

So just for my further understanding, can you please correct me, if I'm wrong?

setting up unRAID with SABnzbd enables me to set up some search strings that are automatically put through newsreader from usenet and automatically get downloaded by my unRAID server

and also will be put in right directorys?

and nzb is the fileformat of the automatically downloaded file, that contains all further links to the splittet and much bigger files, that my server automatically downloads from usenet?

I always thought usenet will need a (usually) paid account to get a full bandwith from newsgroups?

Is there any screenshot the interface you will use? Or is anything within SABnzbd cmd-based?

This maybe is a little bit off topic. Would someone explain this better for me?

The idea of automatically downloaded favourit series is insane, ofc!

I always thought usenet will need a (usually) paid account to get a full bandwith from newsgroups?

SABnzbd is to usenet what Transmission/uTorrent is to BitTorrent.

.NZB file is to usenet what .torrent file is to Bittorrent.

Yes. Generally a Paid subscription to a Usenet Service Provider is needed. I utilize AstraWeb and got in on a special for $96 a year. Typical prices there and elsewhere range from $10 - $30 a month.

The SABnzbd website has pictures of the web-based interface.

Here's a Usenet for dummies topic on the SABnzbd forums: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=1706.0

thats exactly what i wanted to know

and those news servers where many of them have to be paid for an account and traffic..

are they all mirroring the same? the whole current usenet data (posts and binaries) ?

because i dont understand, why i should simply chose one provider and then will be able to get access to all data via nbz files.

i read http://www.giganews.com/ and it sounds ok.

the price is intense, if you plan to download and need unlimited traffic.

and 2nd: when .nbz is the equivalent to .torrent, it means i have to watch out for myself what is legal and what not?

how do i know that my news server (like giganews) provides the data i want?

while torrents uses p2p connections and usually no central servers, the usenet news server providers seem to store all data locally for your access.

but how can they provide ALL files from every nbz?

i'm very sorry if i create some headache :(

Most of those usenet providers pretty much have the same, they just vary on Retention (the number of days after its posted that your usenet provider keeps the binary files around, the more expensive ones are the ones that have larger retention normally.

Giganews tends to be overpriced but im sure is the best, going with something like astraweb or usenetserver should be just fine unless you really are targetting some 700+ day retention things, your downloads should always go at your full bandwidth speed also with either of them.

The nzb files just tells sabnzbd what to download, but there are even better ways, like firefox plugins that let you just click and send to sabnzbd, or things like sickbeard or couchpotato that will send the nzb silently to sabnzbd to start the download.

Another benefit of usenet is make sure to always use SSL conections so everything is always encrypted.

In this regards, all Usenet servers (nntp) are interconnected and pass along the data as 'feeds' from one to another. Any article posted to one Usenet server will be passed along to the other Usenet servers.

There is no real reason to overpay for a Usenet service. Giganews has ~ 768 day retention period and AstraWeb has ~ 759 day retention period. Giganews charges a lot for SSL service. Astraweb has it included in their base price. Many other usenet service providers have similar retention periods and SSL capabilities.

The .nzb file is a list of articles posted to Usenet that when downloaded, combined, and extracted make up the collection of files tagged.

If you utilize SSL connections, the only parties that could possibly tell what you downloaded are You and the Usenet Service Provider. However, most usenet providers do not keep logs or records of what exactly you downloaded. Typically they only keep track of how much data you downloaded.

Retention is not the only issue -- I use AstraWeb because it's cheaper, but GigaNews has better completion. This means you are less likely to have to repair posts or use reposted rars.

So far, in 18 months use, I haven't had a post I can't repair with Astraweb, but if you're rich and impatient, GN may be a better option.

Usenetserver

Connections: 20

Retention: 650

SSL: Yes

I use usenetserver for $10/month for their best package. If you signup through this page you can get it cheap https://accounts.usenetserver.com/register/index.php?rate=50&a_aid=ngr&a_bid=e299c509&chan=NGR

If you signup through their mainsite it's $15.98/month. They also have a 14 day trial https://accounts.usenetserver.com/register/?lang=en

Astraweb

Connections: 20

Retention: 759

SSL: Yes

Servers: US & EU

Completion: 99%

The AstraWeb $96 for a full year special I could only find working from this link: http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/voucher.cgi?t=zgufplhxfr2cwsw

Normally if you sign up from their main page it's $39 for 3 months or $15 a month.

I switched away from "Usenetserver" about 1.5 - 2 years ago because they had massive infrastructure issues where typical completion rates were no better than 70% and their servers were always overwhelmed where it would take 8 hours of retries before you could get connected. These issues existed for more than 4 months. I'm sure they've grown beyond that and have fixed their infrastructure since then.

What I suggest is you read up a bit more, then if you think you're ready you use one of the Free Trial providers to see if usenet service is for you. If it is, then shop around for a good deal.

Can i also suggest you never sign up anywhere without googling for "offer, voucher" etc

Most usenet providers offer loyalty schemes and there are big savings to be had if you research first.

Giganews released an offer on new signups whilst i was with them. I asked if i could change to the offer and they said note so I voted with my feet.

Another tip is that ngroups will allow payment monthly by payal for a small premium with a non verified account. Useful for people who cannot verify due to lack of credit card etc

If you can dont go for a provider that is hosted in your own country. If you have to ask why dont use usenet at all :P

Lastly retention and completion of almost all providers is such now that unless you are grabbing stuff > 1 year old it will almost always work.