Tretflix - A Usenet Appliance

No secret that UnRAID is often used to host automated media acquisition software and media players. Tretflix seems like a great place to start: http://tretflix.com/

From the "About" page:

What is Tretflix?

Tretflix is a ready to deploy virtual appliance with the most popular usenet tools pre-installed and configured for an easy “out of the box” user experience. Combined with the built-in Plex Media Server, Tretflix is a great way to get a usenet based media center up and running for home and on-the-go entertainment in under 5 minutes.

Featured Projects

CouchPotato – An internet PVR for movies

Headphones – An internet PVR for music

NzbDrone – An internet PVR for TV shows

Plex Media Server – Enjoy your media at home and on-the-go

SABnzbd+ – A usenet binary download tool

Sick Beard – An internet PVR for TV shows

Transmission – A torrent download/P2P sharing tool

Additonal Features

Apache2 – Reverse Proxy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont understand what is the value given by this?

i.e. installing ubuntu from a trusted source takes minutes and apt-get install gets the rest in even less time

what does this bring to the table other than trusting some random dude on the internet hasnt put something in to nick your usenet credentials :P

Who the victorRaid or the maker of the software?

I'm sure that this guy gains nothing stealing your stuff.

However I can make the same argument that influencer, dynamix, boxcar and trolley, or iron badger who has put some much time into xen they plugins are stealing my stuff. I wouldn't know because I not that smart

But as with everything buyer beware. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont understand what is the value given by this?

i.e. installing ubuntu from a trusted source takes minutes and apt-get install gets the rest in even less time

what does this bring to the table other than trusting some random dude on the internet hasnt put something in to nick your usenet credentials :P

I'll let others decide if there's value here. Personally, I have many friends, family members, etc. who wouldn't have the first clue (or patience) to do what Tretflix does in 5-10 minutes. This is why I developed it in the first place.

As for malicious code, security, etc. I'll invite anyone to take a look under the hood and I'm 100% confident in what they will (or won't) find. I've no intention of anything other than provide something (which I think is pretty great) to the community that I've been a part of and enjoyed for close to 15 years.

I certainly understand the concern though. Take me at my word or not, I'm no NSA and I hope some folks will enjoy what I've built :)

tret

I did not want to suggest mallice just add a counter argument to randomly trusting things found by google.

Dynamix,  boxcar and trolley all add value by being bespoke code to do specific things. Influenencers plugins add value by being installable on unRAID.

Maybe the website doesnt make a strong enough sell for Tretflix  but what is different to this and ubuntu + apt get?

Are the apps installed from apt, ppa or src/git. If git how are they maintained? Are the defaults tweaked and if so in what way? Do all the API , SSL and SSH heyskeys change so people arent all using the same crypto and creds

I think this could be a very interesting and popular appliance especially for the unraid community but I am not seeing anything special.... yet :)

Edit: on reading back I think I came across overly negative. I want this project to be successfull as I think it fills a geniune need but equally I want it to be sustainable and a perfect fit for our community. Hopefully we can all help.

I can totally see that argument. I'm pretty cautious about such things myself.

Tretflix is basically Ubuntu. Nothing special. Where it provides value is through the CLI that I developed. Using the CLI you can do the following with very simple commands that require no real linux knowledge:

- Run the config wizard (Allows a user to select which apps to install/enable, usernames, passwords, ports, etc.)

tretflix config wizard

- Add a static IP

tretflix network add ip 192.168.1.x

- Add a cifs share (where 192.168.1.x is the NAS IP, media is the share name and -u xxxxx xxxxx is the share username and password)

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.x media -u username password

- Change the storage location/destination to your NAS share

tretflix storage set share /mnt/192.168.1.x/media

- Enable nightly app upgrades

tretflix scheduler -u enable

All of the applications (when configured using the TretflixCLI) are updated when making changes to keep the Interoperability intact. Downloads are automatically moved between apps and updated in the Plex library, etc.

The goal here was to allow someone to use all of the featured apps, configure them as easily as possible and enjoy!

tret

FlexGet is a multipurpose automation tool for content like torrents, nzbs, podcasts, comics, series, movies, etc. It can use different kinds of sources like RSS-feeds, html pages, csv files, search engines and there are even plugins for sites that do not provide any kind of useful feeds.

There are numerous plugins that allow utilizing FlexGet in interesting ways and more are being added continuously.

FlexGet is extremely useful in conjunction with applications which have watch directory support or provide interface for external utilities like FlexGet.

Tretflix is basically Ubuntu. Nothing special. Where it provides value is through the CLI that I developed. ...

Can i humbly suggest this is a crucial piece of info to push on your web page. :) Also I would make it really obvious how updates etc happen as that the curse of many appliances (e.g. turnkey).

Some random suggestions:

nginx reverse proxy is harder to setup but smaller and potentially more secure than Apache.

Some sort of launch page that we put serious effort into securing so that people can put it on the internet (as thats what they want to do) would be effort well spent.

crypo and creds should be semi dynmaic. As i undertsand it now everyone will have the same pass and API key and SSH etc This is bad :)

Nice work

All of the applications (when configured using the TretflixCLI) are updated when making changes to keep the Interoperability intact. Downloads are automatically moved between apps and updated in the Plex library, etc.

Setting this up seem to give new user the biggest problems.  Setting each application up individually isn't hard but getting them to interact with each other can be challenging for a new user.  Though nzbtomedia helps out with that a bit.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

crypo and creds should be semi dynmaic. As i undertsand it now everyone will have the same pass and API key and SSH etc This is bad :)

Nice work

what i did on my test vm, was change the sysadmin password, on the tretflix webpage he also gives the command on how to generate a new API.

Tretflix is basically Ubuntu. Nothing special. Where it provides value is through the CLI that I developed. ...

Can i humbly suggest this is a crucial piece of info to push on your web page. :) Also I would make it really obvious how updates etc happen as that the curse of many appliances (e.g. turnkey).

Some random suggestions:

nginx reverse proxy is harder to setup but smaller and potentially more secure than Apache.

Some sort of launch page that we put serious effort into securing so that people can put it on the internet (as thats what they want to do) would be effort well spent.

Nice work

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely add some more information, specifically as it relates to security aspects, to the about page.

I'll look into nginx. Can you elaborate a little bit on your launch page suggestion? New API keys are generated for each app during the initial config wizard, I'll take a new action item in doing the same for SSH. Thanks!

tret

Nice work

what i did on my test vm, was change the sysadmin password, on the tretflix webpage he also gives the command on how to generate a new API.

FYI

tretflix apps [OPTION] new apikey

NOTES:

The ‘new apikey’ command is only available for the apps that use

api keys. The ‘set port’ command requires an individual app to be

specified.

for all of us who were concerned about having the same api key

If anyone is brave enough to try this on their vbox let me know if you were successful

it will import the vm but you cannot see the screen unless you modify the settings to include remote desktop

I also think i found a flaw, since im on v5.0.5 (32 bit) and it has a preconfigure ram set to 3GB it maxes out the memory.

I have 8gb  but since the version can only really use 4gb then i run out, correct? I have another vm running that used 1gb but will reduce it to 640mb to see if that makes a difference.

I set up tretflix and it is very straight forward after having figured out a working solution for converting to a raw disk

I updated the bundled transmission version to the latest. I am using sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard and transmission. Don't want to go back - previously used ironicbadger's archVM which was also working great but requiring more admin stuff

I set up tretflix and it is very straight forward after having figured out a working solution for converting to a raw disk

I updated the bundled transmission version to the latest. I am using sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard and transmission. Don't want to go back - previously used ironicbadger's archVM which was also working great but requiring more admin stuff

Did you do this on Vbox on the unraid  plug in?

If what are the specs and version of unraid

Here is what I did:

I downloaded the Tretflix appliance to my Mac

"extracted" the ova image - tar xvf Tretfilx.ova

converted the vmdk disk image to raw-format using VBoxManage - VBoxManage clonehd Tretflix....-disk1.vmdk Tretflix...-disk1.raw -format RAW

compressed the raw file and transferred it to the unRAID box

extracted the compressed raw file and created a very simple cfg file:

name = "Tretflix"
bootloader = "pygrub"
memory = 4000
vcpus = 8
disk = [ 
'phy:/mnt/cache/Xen/Tretflix/Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.raw,xvda,w',
]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:01:01:02,bridge=br0' ]
bootloader = "pygrub"

when starting the vm i could not attach to the console session - xl console Tretflix did not work correctly

but I checked what the ip of the vm was and was able to connect to the ssh session

then the wizard kicked in and i configured my system with several apps (couchpotato, sabnzbd, sickbeard, plex, transmission)

this worked like a charm and I added my unRAID share as a cifs storage and now I have all downloads going to my unraid share with all the relevant applications running in the Tretflix appliance -> awesome

Upgraded from 5.0.3 to 6/xen and installed crashplan and now tretflix.

I'm not sure how to set the paths correctly:

=== My old system ===

I have my sabnzbd downloads pointing to /mnt/user/downloads

for plex:

music = /mnt/user/music

videos = /mnt/user/videos/films, /mnt/user/videos/HD films, /mnt/user/videos/HD films2

tv =  /mnt/user/videos/TV

==================

Any pointers?

Cheers

Tony

edit: found out - it was quite easy!

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 downloads -u user pass

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 Music -u user pass

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 Photos -u user pass

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 Videos -u user pass

then

tretflix storage set share /mnt/192.168.1.22/downloads

===============

I wish it had mysql and spotweb installed, that is the only thing that I am missing now (unless I can get a good news indexer invite...)

.... Thanks dawiki and tret for your pointers on here

Upgraded from 5.0.3 to 6/xen and installed crashplan and now tretflix.

I'm not sure how to set the paths correctly:

=== My old system ===

I have my sabnzbd downloads pointing to /mnt/user/downloads

for plex:

music = /mnt/user/music

videos = /mnt/user/videos/films, /mnt/user/videos/HD films, /mnt/user/videos/HD films2

tv =  /mnt/user/videos/TV

==================

Any pointers?

Cheers

Tony

edit: found out - it was quite easy!

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 downloads -u user pass

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 Music -u user pass

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 Photos -u user pass

tretflix shares add cifs 192.168.1.22 Videos -u user pass

then

tretflix storage set share /mnt/192.168.1.22/downloads

===============

I wish it had mysql and spotweb installed, that is the only thing that I am missing now (unless I can get a good news indexer invite...)

.... Thanks dawiki and tret for your pointers on here

From your example, your writing straight to the array and not using the cache drive.  When  I tried this on my windows 8 with vm workstation it created a file structure on my windows share when I executed the tretflix shares command. Which is cool so all you have to worry about is adding indexers. I need to follow the directions to create the vm since importing it from the appliance that tret created  wouldn't import correctly.

However how are you guys addressing the cache drive or are you just skipping it altogether?

My vm is on the cache drive in the xen cache-only share.

My Media is on my unraid protected disks and mounted inside tretflix

The only thing I am concerned about is that the plex data directory is within the tretflix vm and this could get quite large.

All-in-all, it is working extremely well.

Re adding spotweb/mysql to tretflix - I didnt bother in the end. I decided to beef up the nzb searches. I was using xbmc but I am now favouring Plex for most media. It runs on low cost/power devices and is wife friendly. The xbmc clients are now in standalone mode.

Next to explore, getting OpenVPN client installed on tretflix...