Jump to content
jonp

unRAID Project Roadmap Announcements

414 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Because this is a roadmap thread, in the first post jonp talks about email notifications and ups native support and LT are close to an RC but no info has been made public about these features. A lot of users would like this feature, a polite query has been raised to LT and other users show they would also like these features. Does that explain it to you?

+1

Share this post


Link to post

We owe everyone an update on the project and will provide one soon.

Share this post


Link to post

wow, you guys realy piss me off this forum with your impatience. Every week its the same all over again. It seems you have learned nothing. What do you produce all this nonsense text and +1s for?

-1

Share this post


Link to post

wow, you guys realy piss me off this forum with your impatience. Every week its the same all over again. It seems you have learned nothing. What do you produce all this nonsense text and +1s for?

 

-1

Share this post


Link to post

wow, you guys realy piss me off this forum with your impatience. Every week its the same all over again. It seems you have learned nothing. What do you produce all this nonsense text and +1s for?

 

It is how Limetech train the users to act, if they want information.

If other channels were updated, and especially updated without being triggered by noise.. the noise would fade.

 

/Rene

I vote for moderators to get the power to delete posts with the argument "non value post". Like this one.

Share this post


Link to post

wow, you guys realy piss me off this forum with your impatience. Every week its the same all over again. It seems you have learned nothing. What do you produce all this nonsense text and +1s for?

 

It is how Limetech train the users to act, if they want information.

If other channels were updated, and especially updated without being triggered by noise.. the noise would fade.

 

/Rene

I vote for moderators to get the power to delete posts with the argument "non value post". Like this one.

+1

Share this post


Link to post

wow, you guys realy piss me off this forum with your impatience. Every week its the same all over again. It seems you have learned nothing. What do you produce all this nonsense text and +1s for?

 

It is how Limetech train the users to act, if they want information.

If other channels were updated, and especially updated without being triggered by noise.. the noise would fade.

 

/Rene

I vote for moderators to get the power to delete posts with the argument "non value post". Like this one.

 

I completely agree with this. Notice how the "noise" had decreased when there was actually communication from LimeTech and how it increases when LimeTech goes dark/silent. Seems the real solution would be to have acceptable communications from LimeTech, not complaining about consumers asking for reasonable updates.

Share this post


Link to post

Let's not let this turn into another complaint department thread. I totally agree we need to share an update with everyone.  We will do that soon. Don't ask when as I don't have a specific answer for you yet. Just know that there are lots of things in the works right now and for us to update everyone, we want to provide one clean update, not a half baked response that will only provoke more follow up questions.

Share this post


Link to post

Let's not let this turn into another complaint department thread. I totally agree we need to share an update with everyone.  We will do that soon. Don't ask when as I don't have a specific answer for you yet. Just know that there are lots of things in the works right now and for us to update everyone, we want to provide one clean update, not a half baked response that will only provoke more follow up questions.

 

Since this forum is going to get further filled with useless garbage until you do, maybe lock this forum until you are ready to announce?

 

I definitely fall on the side of the argument that thinks while communication has improved there is a long way to go, but I recognize that continuously whining about that fact in this (or any) forum does little good.

 

Ideally LT should keep this forum locked so that only LT employees can announce details. This would have the value of ensuring we have one common place where we can get updates without all the misc crap that appears now, as well as I think it may help LT realize how long they go in-between announcements.

 

Personally, while I would like to see it be more frequent, I think that it's reasonable for LT to provide a monthly update - maybe the first of every month give us a summary of what's been accomplished and what's planned to be addressed in the upcoming month. I don't think this would be overly onerous, and would go a long way towards providing a reasonable level of communication to let us all know where things stand. If we knew we could count on this monthly update it would hopefully remove the useless rants that show up a couple times a month.

 

The key here will be in LT following through each month without fail.

Share this post


Link to post

... maybe lock this forum until you are ready to announce?

 

Conceptually that's fine, BUT it would likely just result in another thread being started where all the complaints would then go.

 

 

... continuously whining about that fact in this (or any) forum does little good.

 

Absolutely !!    Whining doesn't help at all, and if anything likely detracts from the focus LimeTech has on getting the next release ready.    Reminds me of kids in a car always wanting to know "Are we there yet?"  Definitely not helpful.    The old adage that "Patience is a virtue" is absolutely true  :)

 

 

I definitely fall on the side of the argument that thinks while communication has improved there is a long way to go ...

 

... while I would like to see it be more frequent, I think that it's reasonable for LT to provide a monthly update ...

 

The key here will be in LT following through each month without fail.

 

Absolutely agree.    The last line is key, however => and shouldn't be very onerous.    Five minutes to post a few lines regarding the current progress on a regular basis would be time very well spent.  Note, however, that complaints start much quicker than a month after a release -- Beta 10a was released on 28 Sep;  by 8 Oct the complaints were in full force for more info.  But if it was KNOWN that there would be detailed updates on a monthly basis, that would likely tamp things down a bit.    [Personally, I'd much prefer a brief weekly update ... a small additional workload for Limetech, but it really shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so to post each week.]

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Let's not let this turn into another complaint department thread. I totally agree we need to share an update with everyone.  We will do that soon. Don't ask when as I don't have a specific answer for you yet. Just know that there are lots of things in the works right now and for us to update everyone, we want to provide one clean update, not a half baked response that will only provoke more follow up questions.

Jon,

 

Generally it's best to give a regular sitrep (say every Friday pm) on where you stand (even if it's "damn, we are neeeeaaaarrrrrlllllyyyy there"). People know what to expect, when, and the regular heartbeat helps to sync phased project cycles.

 

You will always get those few users who think "no news is good news", but frankly they aren't a positive thing - users *should* be wanting to hear about progress. Which was kind of the point of my jokey comment; it was too quiet in here for this pre-RC stage.

 

I guess snags are being hit - remember 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the final 10% takes the other 90% ...

Share this post


Link to post

... maybe lock this forum until you are ready to announce?

Conceptually that's fine, BUT it would likely just result in another thread being started where all the complaints would then go.

 

I think a locked thread is a great idea. It's annoying to having to keep coming back to this thread when there's a new post just to see if any actual news was announced just to find out its people talking or complaining. With a locked thread you can at least just subscribe to it and get notification when there's real news.

 

Gary, your right another thread would probably be started but maybe it would be best to have a link to a thread for discussion of the announcements so we can have a clean announcements thread.

 

Also completely agree with all of the other points bkastner and garycase have made.

 

I guess snags are being hit - remember 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the final 10% takes the other 90% ...

Exactly, I'm sure a lot of the time is spent on bug fixes. Sure its not exciting news but its news nonetheless and it allows us to progress.

Share this post


Link to post

For me personally I find it frustrating that jonp made a comment about notitications being cut from 6.0 and moved to 6.1 release.  This to me doesn't make sense when you are cutting core has features and seemingly wasting time on experimental features, such as VM's.  That's how it looks from my point of view anyway. 

 

Also the abandoning of v5 didn't really sit well either...

Share this post


Link to post

For me personally I find it frustrating that jonp made a comment about notitications being cut from 6.0 and moved to 6.1 release.  This to me doesn't make sense when you are cutting core has features and seemingly wasting time on experimental features, such as VM's.  That's how it looks from my point of view anyway. 

 

Also the abandoning of v5 didn't really sit well either...

 

Note that v5 hasn't been completely abandoned -- v5.0.6 was just released yesterday  :)

... minor bug fixes and a fix to the bash issue

 

... I agree it's frustrating to see core NAS features moving to later releases

Share this post


Link to post

... maybe lock this forum until you are ready to announce?

 

Conceptually that's fine, BUT it would likely just result in another thread being started where all the complaints would then go.

 

True, but at least if we had a dedicated bitching forum we could choose to ignore it, rather than sifting through 3 pages of crap to try and see if LT actually posted something useful.

 

... continuously whining about that fact in this (or any) forum does little good.

 

Absolutely !!    Whining doesn't help at all, and if anything likely detracts from the focus LimeTech has on getting the next release ready.    Reminds me of kids in a car always wanting to know "Are we there yet?"  Definitely not helpful.    The old adage that "Patience is a virtue" is absolutely true  :)

 

Agreed - though I have to admittedly restrain myself from being one of those kids as I'd like to know what's going on too. :)

 

I definitely fall on the side of the argument that thinks while communication has improved there is a long way to go ...

 

... while I would like to see it be more frequent, I think that it's reasonable for LT to provide a monthly update ...

 

The key here will be in LT following through each month without fail.

 

Absolutely agree.    The last line is key, however => and shouldn't be very onerous.    Five minutes to post a few lines regarding the current progress on a regular basis would be time very well spent.  Note, however, that complaints start much quicker than a month after a release -- Beta 10a was released on 28 Sep;  by 8 Oct the complaints were in full force for more info.  But if it was KNOWN that there would be detailed updates on a monthly basis, that would likely tamp things down a bit.    [Personally, I'd much prefer a brief weekly update ... a small additional workload for Limetech, but it really shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so to post each week.]

 

I agree a weekly update would be awesome - I had suggested it before and got shouted down by people saying it was unrealistic. Also, I know it's a large culture change for LT, which is why I thought a monthly update would be a good start. Yes, you are still going to have people start complaining 2 days after the update or release, but at least we can then just tell them to shut up and wait for the 1st of the month. Right now it's basically telling people to shut up and wait for hell to freeze over or an update is provided - whichever comes first. :)

Share this post


Link to post

For me personally I find it frustrating that jonp made a comment about notitications being cut from 6.0 and moved to 6.1 release.  This to me doesn't make sense when you are cutting core has features and seemingly wasting time on experimental features, such as VM's.  That's how it looks from my point of view anyway. 

 

Also the abandoning of v5 didn't really sit well either...

+1

Share this post


Link to post

... maybe lock this forum until you are ready to announce?

 

Conceptually that's fine, BUT it would likely just result in another thread being started where all the complaints would then go.

 

True, but at least if we had a dedicated bitching forum we could choose to ignore it, rather than sifting through 3 pages of crap to try and see if LT actually posted something useful.

 

... continuously whining about that fact in this (or any) forum does little good.

 

Absolutely !!    Whining doesn't help at all, and if anything likely detracts from the focus LimeTech has on getting the next release ready.    Reminds me of kids in a car always wanting to know "Are we there yet?"  Definitely not helpful.    The old adage that "Patience is a virtue" is absolutely true  :)

 

Agreed - though I have to admittedly restrain myself from being one of those kids as I'd like to know what's going on too. :)

 

I definitely fall on the side of the argument that thinks while communication has improved there is a long way to go ...

 

... while I would like to see it be more frequent, I think that it's reasonable for LT to provide a monthly update ...

 

The key here will be in LT following through each month without fail.

 

Absolutely agree.    The last line is key, however => and shouldn't be very onerous.    Five minutes to post a few lines regarding the current progress on a regular basis would be time very well spent.  Note, however, that complaints start much quicker than a month after a release -- Beta 10a was released on 28 Sep;  by 8 Oct the complaints were in full force for more info.  But if it was KNOWN that there would be detailed updates on a monthly basis, that would likely tamp things down a bit.    [Personally, I'd much prefer a brief weekly update ... a small additional workload for Limetech, but it really shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so to post each week.]

 

I agree a weekly update would be awesome - I had suggested it before and got shouted down by people saying it was unrealistic. Also, I know it's a large culture change for LT, which is why I thought a monthly update would be a good start. Yes, you are still going to have people start complaining 2 days after the update or release, but at least we can then just tell them to shut up and wait for the 1st of the month. Right now it's basically telling people to shut up and wait for hell to freeze over or an update is provided - whichever comes first. :)

 

The problem I see with monthly updates is that would mean throughout the entire lifespan of the unraid 6.0 series release you would only have 3 postings from LimeTech. This is going by the official LimeTech roadmap announcement that 6.0 would be 1 quarter (3 months) in development and released by end of September. I think the same for 6.1, just 3 months of development.

 

I don't think 3 public announcements over the course of an entire product development update is enough.

Share this post


Link to post

Quite simply, more frequent updates to you guys is something we need to do and we are aware of that.  I can't speak to all the details right now, but you're about to see that kick into high-gear.  We need a little more time to finish the prep, but seriously, you guys are in for some real treats this week ;-). 

Share this post


Link to post

Quite simply, more frequent updates to you guys is something we need to do and we are aware of that.  I can't speak to all the details right now, but you're about to see that kick into high-gear.  We need a little more time to finish the prep, but seriously, you guys are in for some real treats this week ;-).

 

In my opinion there is no need for weekly updates.

-set a version

-set an ETA (a date, not a year) and update it when things change. (dont be afraid to change, it even if it is bad news)

-set content, and update it when things change.

and lock the thread.

 

The key is that you update it truely to what you believe, not what you hope or what will give you the least amount of noise.

We have to trust it shows exactly "the future according to JonP"

 

/Rene

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

For me personally I find it frustrating that jonp made a comment about notitications being cut from 6.0 and moved to 6.1 release.  This to me doesn't make sense when you are cutting core has features and seemingly wasting time on experimental features, such as VM's.  That's how it looks from my point of view anyway. 

 

I didn't see that but if true is very disappointing.  Unless they mean the enhanced xml/json push type notifications but will still deliver basic email notifications with 6.0.

 

If not then I can't help but think LT have again misread what the bulk of their current and future customers want and are intent on delivering the cherries but they've forgotten that it's plain old sponge that makes the cake a cake.

Share this post


Link to post

For me personally I find it frustrating that jonp made a comment about notitications being cut from 6.0 and moved to 6.1 release.  This to me doesn't make sense when you are cutting core has features and seemingly wasting time on experimental features, such as VM's.  That's how it looks from my point of view anyway. 

 

Also the abandoning of v5 didn't really sit well either...

Notifications got pushed?  So "experimental" virtualization that only hit a subset of unRAID users will be in the 6 release, but notifications, which arguably would benefit the entire unRAD user base, is pushed for the .1 release?  I'm so confused.

 

Jon, can you define "real treats"?  Also, I'm just curious... but is unRAID's core competency no longer a NAS OS?  Perhaps in addition to a roadmap we could get a company mission / vision statement as well.

 

If not then I can't help but think LT have again misread what the bulk of their current and future customers want and are intent on delivering the cherries but they've forgotten that it's plain old sponge that makes the cake a cake.

Hit the nail on the head there.  It seems that core function is being tossed to the side.  Really quite alienating.

Share this post


Link to post

For me personally I find it frustrating that jonp made a comment about notitications being cut from 6.0 and moved to 6.1 release.  This to me doesn't make sense when you are cutting core has features and seemingly wasting time on experimental features, such as VM's.  That's how it looks from my point of view anyway. 

 

Also the abandoning of v5 didn't really sit well either...

Notifications got pushed?  So "experimental" virtualization that only hit a subset of unRAID users will be in the 6 release, but notifications, which arguably would benefit the entire unRAD user base, is pushed for the .1 release?  I'm so confused.

 

Jon, can you define "real treats"?  Also, I'm just curious... but is unRAID's core competency no longer a NAS OS?  Perhaps in addition to a roadmap we could get a company mission / vision statement as well.

 

If not then I can't help but think LT have again misread what the bulk of their current and future customers want and are intent on delivering the cherries but they've forgotten that it's plain old sponge that makes the cake a cake.

Hit the nail on the head there.  It seems that core function is being tossed to the side.  Really quite alienating.

 

I mentioned this a while back and Tom got all bent out of shape, and then deleted my post.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Don't worry guys, all those core functionality pieces that have been pushed to the next version are relatively simple and quick to implement. Or so it's been said previously by various LimeTech representatives.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.