unRAID Project Roadmap Announcements

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

now shooting for this Friday (today), may spill into the weekend.

Which weekend is that?

Next weekend or the weekend after the next weekend after that one.

I will say this is the first red(ish) flag for me on LT being able to hit Q3 with final. We are almost 1/2 way through Q3 without seeing a single beta. I am still trying to be optimistic, but doubts are creeping in.

now shooting for this Friday (today), may spill into the weekend.

Which weekend is that?

Next weekend or the weekend after the next weekend after that one.

I will say this is the first red(ish) flag for me on LT being able to hit Q3 with final. We are almost 1/2 way through Q3 without seeing a single beta. I am still trying to be optimistic, but doubts are creeping in.

You'd probably be better off assuming that they won't hit that goal. It's hard to estimate these things. Also, if you're going to say we're almost 1/2 way through I could argue we're also almost 1.3 through :) Don't rush it. Give them time to do it right without stressing.

In days, the betas have been released 2, 7, 63, 31, 51, and right now we're at 51 days and counting for 6.0beta-7. Tom already said a new beta is coming so it should be any day now. Maybe with all the complaining on this one they'll just not release any Betas of unRaid 7 until they are super close to final.

• 2 weeks later...

And this is why I will be surprised if they make the current schedule and release dates.  Stuff just happens and it takes time to sort out.  Same thing happened with v5.  That said, I'm glad they don't release before they are ready, that would be worse.

And this is another reason I voted to finish up v5 and let v6 come out whenever it's really ready.  Thank Bonienl for Dynamix.  :)  It really helps fill some of the holes in v5.

this is why developers shouldn't give dates, just updates on progress.

It will be released when its ready

Actually I have no problem with waiting till it's working to put out a beta - but a weekly friday sitrep on why it's not this friday for a release, would be a good move...

And this is why I will be surprised if they make the current schedule and release dates.  Stuff just happens and it takes time to sort out.

This is why many are utterly boggled by the decision to not go for the low hanging wins first, such as alerts/email/update of packages/built in preclear and basically what items you have full control over instead of going for items you're at the mercy of others such as virtualization and containers.

C'est la vie.

And this is why I will be surprised if they make the current schedule and release dates.  Stuff just happens and it takes time to sort out.

This is why many are utterly boggled by the decision to not go for the low hanging wins first, such as alerts/email/update of packages/built in preclear and basically what items you have full control over instead of going for items you're at the mercy of others such as virtualization and containers.

C'est la vie.

I don't think anyone who's been around longer than a year is that surprised by the current course/state. The natives were getting very restless around Nov/Dec last year and early this with some of the more knowledgeable users threatening to walk away from UnRAID and even build something competitive. Tom took version 6.0, which would likely have originally been just a 64-bit version of 5.0.5 and introduced virtualization to try and stem the flow of negativity.

Regardless, we are where we are now, and I think the introduction of Docker has been a great addition and alternative to the existing plugins, which has made this a better product than what the original 6.0 would have been.

It's the whole damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Releasing a 64-bit version of 5.0 would have stopped a lot of the whiners who want 5.0 updated, but it would have likely caused complaints by the more advanced crowed who wanted to better utilize their hardware capabilities.

I would hope that with Docker proving a solid plugin solution Tom and team can just focus on knocking out the email alerts and UPS integration and get 6.0 out of the door and leave most of the virtualization stuff to 6.1 or 6.0.1 or whatever.

Either way it's hard to just sit on the sidelines waiting for the next release. It definitely proves that patience is truly a virtue, and not one that I have an overabundance of (as is likely true of many here). :)

A joke as always. Applying logical moves don't apply at LT.

They don't stand a chance to deliver a stable, with working additions promised for the date stated. A new beta should have been publish with each addition so the beta testers can kick the tires and provide feedback.

Regardless of the fact I have moved away from unraid to a debian / snapraid solution this is just wrong.

You can only release beta's occasionally when you are at a stable point to give people time to effectively test them. Beta testers are made up of a number of different breeds, those willing to take the release immediately come what may, and others who will wait a week or so before installing the beta once initial testing has been done...

This means that beta tests take weeks to perform so Limetech should not be releasing every update they make. Beta releases should only be made when:-

a) feedback is required

or b) sections are feature complete with everything else stable.

And there is no point Limetech release anything now until they are somewhere towards b....

this is why developers shouldn't give dates, just updates on progress.

It will be released when its ready

Actually I have no problem with waiting till it's working to put out a beta - but a weekly friday sitrep on why it's not this friday for a release, would be a good move...

I would like that, some updates on what they have been doing for the past week, etc

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I think I read somewhere that you will enable cache drive on basic version, is this true? If so when ? Beta 8? 6 Final? later?

I has a test server that I want to try docker on without an additional array-external drive.

Not sure I have heard that, and it is not down as a roadmap item!

From v6 beta 7 it is possible to have the data drives as btrfs.

Limetech have announced that because of issues identified in using docker in the beta releases they are thinking of making changes to the way docker is implemented on unRAID from v6 beta 8  that will almost certainly remove the need to have a btrfs formatted drive to run docker containers.

I think I read somewhere that you will enable cache drive on basic version, is this true? If so when ? Beta 8? 6 Final? later?

I has a test server that I want to try docker on without an additional array-external drive.

Not sure I have heard that, and it is not down as a roadmap item!

From v6 beta 7 it is possible to have the data drives as btrfs.

Limetech have announced that because of issues identified in using docker in the beta releases they are thinking of making changes to the way docker is implemented on unRAID from v6 beta 8  that will almost certainly remove the need to have a btrfs formatted drive to run docker containers.

Correct, My mistake I remembered incorrectly - I found the post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34783.msg323221#msg323221

Which mentioned that basic license users can use the array drive for docker after formatting as BTRFS from beta7.

5)  Beta 7 now allows users without cache devices to use Docker on a BTRFS-formatted array device

Through now, users have had to either use a non-array partition or reformat their cache drive to use BTRFS in beta6.  In beta 7, you can now use BTRFS on an array device, even in the free version.  This opens new potential users to docker that previously couldn't use the system.

That should be correct, you can format one of the array drives as BTRFS, and then you can run a docker from that array drive.  There is a discussions about an issue with going through a share for the docker path that is being addressed in the next beta.  I got it working by setting up a share that only included that one drive, and then switch the docker path to the /mnt/diskX path of the BTRFS volume and then you can start and use dockers..

• 1 month later...

Since we are now in 4Q, I am wondering what the probable date is for the first v6 production release, which was previously projected to happen in 3Q. Could someone at Limetech comment?  If you like, you can just respond and assign a % probability to each of the following choices (the idea is that the sum of the four percentages assigned adds up to 100):

a) any day now

b) definitely by end 4Q14

c) 1Q15

d) no predictions, it's taking a lot longer than we thought

Since we are now in 4Q, I am wondering what the probable date is for the first v6 production release, which was previously projected to happen in 3Q. Could someone at Limetech comment?  If you like, you can just respond and assign a % probability to each of the following choices (the idea is that the sum of the four percentages assigned adds up to 100):

a) any day now

b) definitely by end 4Q14

c) 1Q15

d) no predictions, it's taking a lot longer than we thought

How long is a piece of string?