[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

I created it new - and the mouse pointers are fully in sync now :-)

What's missing now is the DVD Drive (this was the code that jonp gave me):

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='scsi'>                                                                                          
      <source>                                                                                                                      
        <adapter name='scsi_host3'/>                                                                                                
        <address type='scsi' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>                                                                          
      </source>                                                                                                                     
      <readonly/>                                                                                                                   
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>                                                            
    </hostdev>

Maybe it would be possible to allow manual entries when you create a new VM?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I created it new - and the mouse pointers are fully in sync now :-)

What's missing now is the DVD Drive (this was the code that jonp gave me):

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='scsi'>                                                                                          
      <source>                                                                                                                      
        <adapter name='scsi_host3'/>                                                                                                
        <address type='scsi' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>                                                                          
      </source>                                                                                                                     
      <readonly/>                                                                                                                   
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>                                                            
    </hostdev>

Maybe it would be possible to allow manual entries when you create a new VM?

I was gonna ad that for qemu:commandline stuff too.  Also going to allow you to create a disk image if you forgot like I do when testing. What does it say under Devices tab for your dvd drive and does it match?

I was gonna ad that for qemu:commandline stuff too.  Also going to allow you to create a disk image if you forgot like I do when testing. What does it say under Devices tab for your dvd drive and does it match?

That sounds great. Here is the information - it is in line with the XML entry:

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/.VMs/win7# lsscsi
[3:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH10LS30  1.02  /dev/sr0

[EDIT] When I add the DVD Drive definitions, the USB Sounce Controller is being removed by using the vmManager.

Thanks and any suggestions are welcome.

A few from me, if you don't mind.

1) Please include this by default (<input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>), as the wildly out of sync mouse makes it hard to work in VNC.

2) I would suggest that the buttons along the top for +CREATE & +XML should be put next to each other, and +CREATE should be changed to +TEMPLATE.  That way, both are more similar in displaying what they do.  They both add a VM, one from a template, and the other from and XML.  The tooltips could be adjusted to be more similar also, but that's less of a big deal.

3) Auto-refresh the main page to more accurately/quickly reflect the state of the VM's.  When I stop or restart my windows VM from VNC, that doesn't reflect in the main page until I refresh that page, meaning I can't start the machine until I refresh.

Again, just suggestions, not a big deal if you don't want, or can't do them :)

That sounds great. Here is the information - it is in line with the XML entry:

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/.VMs/win7# lsscsi
[3:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH10LS30  1.02  /dev/sr0

[EDIT] When I add the DVD Drive definitions, the USB Sounce Controller is being removed by using the vmManager.

You are manually editing the xml? If so the plugin just passes that directly to libvirt.  Libvirt will remove stuff sometimes if not formatted right.

Thanks and any suggestions are welcome.

A few from me, if you don't mind.

1) Please include this by default (<input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>), as the wildly out of sync mouse makes it hard to work in VNC.

2) I would suggest that the buttons along the top for +CREATE & +XML should be put next to each other, and +CREATE should be changed to +TEMPLATE.  That way, both are more similar in displaying what they do.  They both add a VM, one from a template, and the other from and XML.  The tooltips could be adjusted to be more similar also, but that's less of a big deal.

3) Auto-refresh the main page to more accurately/quickly reflect the state of the VM's.  When I stop or restart my windows VM from VNC, that doesn't reflect in the main page until I refresh that page, meaning I can't start the machine until I refresh.

Again, just suggestions, not a big deal if you don't want, or can't do them :)

I appreciate the suggestions. For #1 I will definitely do that. And change the description to remove if you don't have a desktop. Since it really wouldn't affect anything for a ubuntu server to have it enabled but a windows vm without it is no fun unless you like chasing mice around a window.

For #2 it was more form over function. I was keeping with the light blue for xml functions and didn't want them right next to each other. I'll change the create to a dark blue and  flip the devices and networks and see how it looks.

#3 the page does reload when you hit stop but windows is too slow and doesn't report right to libvirt. My other linux vm's always show shutdown because they've entered a shutdown state. I really didn't want to add an auto refresh to the page on a timer.  You'd probably hit the refresh button first anyway before it auto refreshed. I also didn't want a process waiting on it to shutdown either. I'll look around and see I can figure something out.

I may have found another bug!!!  8) When I click start on my Ubuntu VM it says that is successfully restarted but the VM does not restart. I have to VNC and then click restart from the Ubuntu GUI.

If this was created with this plugin reboot was set to destroy instead of restart.  Just change in the xml.

Okay, windows VM seems to be working good, everything is updated, and seems to be stable.

Now, I want to try to passthru a couple of things.  I figured I'd start with something 'easy', so I want to passthru my TV Tuner card.  If I click on the blue arrow next to that device under the devices tab, I get this in the resultant window...

<device>
  <name>pci_0000_08_00_0</name>
  <path>/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.5/0000:08:00.0</path>
  <parent>pci_0000_00_1c_5</parent>
  <capability type='pci'>
    <domain>0</domain>
    <bus>8</bus>
    <slot>0</slot>
    <function>0</function>
    <product id='0x7160'>SAA7160</product>
    <vendor id='0x1131'>Philips Semiconductors</vendor>
    <iommuGroup number='20'>
      <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x08' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </iommuGroup>
    <pci-express>
      <link validity='cap' port='1' speed='2.5' width='1'/>
      <link validity='sta' speed='2.5' width='1'/>
    </pci-express>
  </capability>
</device>

I tried adding all of that in the windows XML, but it all got removed when i saved it.  So, I assume I don't need all of that, or I did it wrong.  If I had to guess, I'd remove the <device> and </device> tags, but before I go messing about too much, I thought I should ask here on what I should be doing to get this added to the VM.

thanks.

Okay, windows VM seems to be working good, everything is updated, and seems to be stable.

Now, I want to try to passthru a couple of things.  I figured I'd start with something 'easy', so I want to passthru my TV Tuner card.  If I click on the blue arrow next to that device under the devices tab, I get this in the resultant window...

<device>
  <capability type='pci'>
    <domain>0</domain>
    <bus>8</bus>
    <slot>0</slot>
    <function>0</function>
    <iommuGroup number='20'>
    </iommuGroup>
    <pci-express>
    </pci-express>
  </capability>
</device>

I tried adding all of that in the windows XML, but it all got removed when i saved it.  So, I assume I don't need all of that, or I did it wrong.  If I had to guess, I'd remove the <device> and </device> tags, but before I go messing about too much, I thought I should ask here on what I should be doing to get this added to the VM.

thanks.

that is just an xml dump of the device

You need to add something like this between <devices> </devices>.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'> 
   <source> 
      <address bus='0x08' slot='0x00' function='0x00'/>
   </source>
</hostdev>

<device>
  <capability type='pci'>
    <domain>0</domain>
    <bus>8</bus>
    <slot>0</slot>
    <function>0</function>
    <iommuGroup number='20'>
    </iommuGroup>
    <pci-express>
    </pci-express>
  </capability>
</device>

thanks.

that is just an xml dump of the device

You need to add something like this between <devices> </devices>.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'> 
   <source> 
      <address bus='0x08' slot='0x00' function='0x00'/>
   </source>
</hostdev>

sadly, that didn't work.  windows froze while starting up.

I just tried adding qemu command lines to the XML, it reported it was successful, but when i went back into the XML to review, the lines had been removed :(

What's the trick to adding devices for passthru?

It's in the main post :)  you have to change the line at the top of your xml to this

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

@dmacias

Did a quick test today, and its' looks great, one thing I saw was when I created a new storage for a VM, I didn't get any extension fort that file (qcow2) on/mnt/vm_disk/images.

And my VM xml file was stored on /etc/libvirt/qemu, but I'm trying to configure it to store it to my /mnt/vm_disk ,can I do that?

Keep up the good work !!

//Peter

@dmacias

Did a quick test today, and its' looks great, one thing I saw was when I created a new storage for a VM, I didn't get any extension fort that file (qcow2) on/mnt/vm_disk/images.

And my VM xml file was stored on /etc/libvirt/qemu, but I'm trying to configure it to store it to my /mnt/vm_disk ,can I do that?

Keep up the good work !!

//Peter

I can change it to add the extension automatically.  qcow2, qcow and img for raw.  virtMan uses a loopback image on the flash drive because of symlinks used by libvirt for autostart.  You could try removing /etc/libvirt/qemu then symlink

ln -sfT /mnt/vm_disk /etc/libvirt/qemu

One more thing,

My W8 status is unknown according to the web page, when looking in command prompt its in pmsuspended mode.

To wake this VM i use

virsh dompmwakeup windows8

Maybe this command can be added ?

//Peter

Was the vm already suspended with virsh? There is a pause button in vmMan that calls libvirt_domain_suspend. And then press play to resume. php-libvirt and virsh can't be mixed.  dompmwakeup doesn't wake a vm suspended with php-libvirt either.

@dmacias

Was the vm already suspended with virsh? There is a pause button in vmMan that calls libvirt_domain_suspend. And then press play to resume. php-libvirt and virsh can't be mixed.  dompmwakeup doesn't wake a vm suspended with php-libvirt either.

No, the VM put the suspend state by it's self.

//Peter

@dmacias

No, the VM put the suspend state by it's self.

//Peter

I only setup a windows 7 vm.  There's no sleep in my vm.  Does win8 have sleep or what type of suspend is it using.

I Will take a look tomorrow.

Its looks like this

Last login: Sat Nov  1 15:30:26 2014 from peter

Linux 3.16.3-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# virsh list

Id    Name                          State

----------------------------------------------------

2    ArchVM                        running

3    Arch-Media                    running

7    windows8                      pmsuspended

root@Tower:~#

Justin, i will post later my XML's for windows  7 & 8, so you can try them. I have been testing them and they are working with no issues...also with USB GPU audio pass through. I let you know later how I did it.

Hi Justin, I will post my config files in the other thread you have open. I think it makes more sense and it leaves this one specific for vmmgr.

(http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35732.45).

Hi dmacias,

I posted this week (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36004.0) asking for help to backup a vm.

I remember -or at least I think so- that webvirtmgr did offer the option to do a snapshot of the vm.

Is it possible to include this option too? I am not a linux expert so maybe I am asking for something that is very difficult to implement.

Rgds.

It is on my todo list.

1. Add drives and cdroms from domain info page as well as cpus and memory

2. Create an new image from template menu

3. Add snapshot list, create, delete, revert to domain info page

4. Backups

And peter's resume problem.

• trurl unpinned this topic