user share size limit

spl147

I don't think this is possible today, but this is an interesting idea. Btrfs offers a way to set quotas on subvolumes, which would be one way to accomplish this at a filesystem level, but not sure if that's ideal for user shares because shares can cross over multiple devices / filesystems.

This is definitely a feature that we should look into at some point, but not something I would think needs to be prioritized for 6.0.

I don't think this is possible today, but this is an interesting idea. Btrfs offers a way to set quotas on subvolumes, which would be one way to accomplish this at a filesystem level, but not sure if that's ideal for user shares because shares can cross over multiple devices / filesystems.

This is definitely a feature that we should look into at some point, but not something I would think needs to be prioritized for 6.0.

all my user shares are on a single disk,  can you explain how to setup quotas for them?

IE: 100gb per user share

Can I ask what the use case you have for quotas is?

i have a single 1tb drive used for timemachine backups, and 2 user shares for file backup, i want to set a 100gb limit per user share

I have pretty much the same problem. 3 computers that I backup to a single hd mounted on an Airport. The only thing that keeps me from using my unRaid is the fact that I can't limit the size of the file. My MacPro would take over the whole share. Would be very nice to be able to install a 6TB HDD and allocate 1TB to each TM backup and the balance to my Media share since empty slots are in short supply.

Can I ask what the use case you have for quotas is?

i have a single 1tb drive used for timemachine backups, and 2 user shares for file backup, i want to set a 100gb limit per user share

I have pretty much the same problem. 3 computers that I backup to a single hd mounted on an Airport. The only thing that keeps me from using my unRaid is the fact that I can't limit the size of the file. My MacPro would take over the whole share. Would be very nice to be able to install a 6TB HDD and allocate 1TB to each TM backup and the balance to my Media share since empty slots are in short supply.

you can specify a size limit for time machine, but not for user shares (smb)
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this as this would be a feature I would use immediately.  I'll give you my use case:

Server serves media (TV shows and movies) to myself and three other roommates. In addition, we each have our own personal (SMB) user shares that we use for personal data (backups, photos, etc...). To keep things fair, setting a size limit for these shares would be beneficial so that one individual cannot hog the array's capacity. In a perfect world I would just condition my roommates to practice restraint and not throw tons of junk in their personal folders, but you know people can be stupid and/or greedy.

I've read around the forums extensively about how this could be done by limiting a share to a disk, but I don't have equal disks of a reasonable size to devote to this cause. I've also seen suggestions to try splitting a disk into a few virtual partitions, but failed to find anyone who implemented it in a bulletproof way.

Cheers

Bumping this as this would be a feature I would use immediately.  I'll give you my use case:

Server serves media (TV shows and movies) to myself and three other roommates. In addition, we each have our own personal (SMB) user shares that we use for personal data (backups, photos, etc...). To keep things fair, setting a size limit for these shares would be beneficial so that one individual cannot hog the array's capacity. In a perfect world I would just condition my roommates to practice restraint and not throw tons of junk in their personal folders, but you know people can be stupid and/or greedy.

I've read around the forums extensively about how this could be done by limiting a share to a disk, but I don't have equal disks of a reasonable size to devote to this cause. I've also seen suggestions to try splitting a disk into a few virtual partitions, but failed to find anyone who implemented it in a bulletproof way.

I suppose if I wanted to enforce this, in a way that is fair and avoids squabbles, I'd create a policy of BYOD, Bring Your Own Disk!  Then each one uses and writes *only* to their disk.  If they want more space, they buy a bigger disk, and replace theirs.  No one ever has to deal with anyone else's greed or clutter. 

This doesn't preclude having other shared spaces, if you choose.  To avoid fights, it's always best for each shared space to have only one owner, one 'ruler'.  Their space, their rules, even if shared access.

I suppose if I wanted to enforce this, in a way that is fair and avoids squabbles, I'd create a policy of BYOD, Bring Your Own Disk!  Then each one uses and writes *only* to their disk.  If they want more space, they buy a bigger disk, and replace theirs.  No one ever has to deal with anyone else's greed or clutter. 

This doesn't preclude having other shared spaces, if you choose.  To avoid fights, it's always best for each shared space to have only one owner, one 'ruler'.  Their space, their rules, even if shared access.

True, that would be an excellent way to enforce it. However SATA connections in the system are too valuable to give each roommate their own disk. Much more efficient to throw one large disk in and then split it evenly among the squabblers.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, daninmanchester said:

Did this ever get implemented?

I'm trialling Unraid now and this seems to be a critical missing feature.

Especially for my CCTV camera which will basically fill the drive and then start deleting old files.

No.  Workarounds though would be limiting the share to only exist on a specific drive and/or an unassigned device.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...