unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta14-x86_64 Available

limetech

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXACTLY. I've already precleared the disk on another unRAID instance.  I KNOW the drive is fine. Besides, the disk has been running fine in my old server for over a year, and has been scanned every week by Stablebit Scanner. 

Sounds as if something might have gone wrong with the pre-clear on the other server then as it appears that unRAID has not recognized a valid pre-clear signature on the drive.  Are you using the latest pre-clear script (earlier versions did not work correctly on unRAID 6).  Having said that I guess it is possible there is a bug in recognising the pre-clear signature in b14?

It's a b12 "other server".  I'm running a preclear on the 'production' b14 server now, so hopefully it'll be happy days.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the rant.  :)

I haven't moved off of the final stable release since it came out.  I just decided to use this beta.  I only use unRAID as a media server and nothing else...the only plugin I had in use was the APC UPS.  Just had to comment to say how much more responsive things appear to be to me.  I even have a parity check running and it just feels miles ahead of 5.05.

Very excited to see the final release for 6.0.  Thanks!

It would be best for your Dockers to be on a cache drive and not a SNAP disk.  Why did you choose to do that?

I was having that corruption issue in regards to the docker.img.  That corruption was causing the unRaid system to not start the array if the docker img was on the cache file.  By moving it to SNAP, that issue didn't occur, but now I've found myself with another work around.  Hopefully with the new docker changes, that image corruption won't happen and putting it back on the cache drive won't be a problem.  Thanks!

I havent had corruption issues since converting my cache drive to XFS.

How did you convert your cache to XFS?  I moved everything off the cache, shut down the array and tried to change the drive status from btrfs to xfs, but it wouldn't let me.  Thanks!

Regarding the docker image: It doesn't matter if the cache is BTRFS or XFS or what format else, you still have to recreate the docker image. Is that right? Does this mean building the dockers again?

The need to recreate the docker image is ONLY  if your underlying filesystem on the device used to store the image file is BTRFS. If xfs or reiserfs, your docker image file is fine.

I haven't moved off of the final stable release since it came out.  I just decided to use this beta.  I only use unRAID as a media server and nothing else...the only plugin I had in use was the APC UPS.  Just had to comment to say how much more responsive things appear to be to me.  I even have a parity check running and it just feels miles ahead of 5.05.

Very excited to see the final release for 6.0.  Thanks!

Great feedback!  Thank you!!

Regarding the docker image: It doesn't matter if the cache is BTRFS or XFS or what format else, you still have to recreate the docker image. Is that right? Does this mean building the dockers again?

The need to recreate the docker image is ONLY  if your underlying filesystem on the device used to store the image file is BTRFS. If xfs or reiserfs, your docker image file is fine.

I dont think that has been clear up to now as even I didnt know that.

So making a backup of the contents including docker image, changing the format to xfs, restoring the contents incl. docker image is an option? Or can the docker image be moved to an XFS formatted data disk?

So making a backup of the contents including docker image, changing the format to xfs, restoring the contents incl. docker image is an option? Or can the docker image be moved to an XFS formatted data disk?

If you move an existing docker image to a non BTRFS device, that should be fine.

The reason we are recommending everyone to rebuild the image is because moving it does not correct any corruption inside the image that may already be present. It only will stop further issues going forward.

You can remove and then add back the cache drive and set the format of the cache drive to XFS.  When the drive is added, it will be formatted XFS.

Is there a way to format to XFS via the CL?  The option is disabled via the GUI. Thanks!

Stop the array, then go to disk settings and change the format. Upon starting the array it will ask/confirm you to format the disk.

You can remove and then add back the cache drive and set the format of the cache drive to XFS.  When the drive is added, it will be formatted XFS.

Is there a way to format to XFS via the CL?  The option is disabled via the GUI. Thanks!

Stop the array, then go to disk settings and change the format. Upon starting the array it will ask/confirm you to format the disk.

Usually that would do it, but now when I stop the array and go to dial settings, I can't change the format. Very weird.

Usually that would do it, but now when I stop the array and go to dial settings, I can't change the format. Very weird.

That is odd, I've done that before.

Are you setting the format on the cache disk itself?  Click on the far left "Cache" symbol on the cache drive page and you can then set the format for the cache disk.  The array has to be stopped first.

From what I remember, you have to stop the array, unassign the cache disk, start the array, stop the array, assign the cache disk and select the format, then re-start the array and it should re-format the cache disk.

Hmm. Can you post a screenshot?  Changing filesystems has been in the GUI since we included the options for alternatives to reiserfs.

Additional step needed.

In addition to just disabling the cache drive(s), you need to actually change the number of available drives to "none", then start the array.

Stop the array, come back and re-enable the cache drives and then the option to change the file system is available to select. 

HOWEVER!!!!!

When you stop the array for some other reason and restart... BAM... back to BTRFS.

What the heck is going on?

Additional step needed.

In addition to just disabling the cache drive(s), you need to actually change the number of available drives to "none", then start the array.

Stop the array, come back and re-enable the cache drives and then the option to change the file system is available to select. 

HOWEVER!!!!!

When you stop the array for some other reason and restart... BAM... back to BTRFS.

After changing the file system, did you confirm formating of the drive (see Array Operations page) ?

Additional step needed.

HOWEVER!!!!!

After changing the file system, did you confirm formating of the drive (see Array Operations page) ?

Yes. It reads as XFS. But when you stop the array it "reverts" to BTRFS.

Additional step needed.

HOWEVER!!!!!

It should say there is a unformatted disk (name is listed), and ask you to do a format, this will take a couple of minutes to complete.

You are saying that after this it all reverts back to BTRFS ???

Additional step needed.

HOWEVER!!!!!

It should say there is a unformatted disk (name is listed), and ask you to do a format, this will take a couple of minutes to complete.

You are saying that after this it all reverts back to BTRFS ???

Correct. It goes through formatting, says XFS, then the next time the array starts it says BTRFS. ????