[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

I installed this plugin and now, my WegGUI is unresponsible - what now?  :o

How can i get the GUI back?

It seems this plugin crashes the whole GUI - mad  :(

WOW - did a shutdown -r now over ssh - now the Server is up but i cant do anything. How can i remove this plugin now???

And of corse the server is doing a parity check now but i cant stop it...

If the board in your sig is what you are using, I don't believe you have ipmi.  You can go to the command line and type

ps aux | grep ipmi

pe aux | grep php

Then killall the processes.

If the board in your sig is what you are using, I don't believe you have ipmi.  You can go to the command line and type

ps aux | grep ipmi

pe aux | grep php

How can i kill what?

ps aux | grep ipmi

pe aux | grep php

How can i kill what?

Run those commands from the command line and let me know what the result is.

ps aux | grep ipmi

pe aux | grep php

How can i kill what?

ps aux | grep php:

16938  0.0  0.0  5100  1720 pts/0  S+  03:36  0:00 grep php

ps aux | grep ipmi:

17208  0.0  0.0  5100  1676 pts/0  S+  03:36  0:00 grep ipmi

???

EDIT: WebGUI came back after 10mins and i was able to deinstall this plugin - pfffffffffffff....  :P not funny mate  :-\

ps aux | grep ipmi

pe aux | grep php

How can i kill what?

ps aux | grep php:

16938  0.0  0.0  5100  1720 pts/0  S+  03:36  0:00 grep php

ps aux | grep ipmi:

17208  0.0  0.0  5100  1676 pts/0  S+  03:36  0:00 grep ipmi

???

I'm not sure. Nothing from this plugin is running.  Maybe try a different browser or crtrl-f5 in the browser. If you run diagnostics from the command line and post the diagnostics zip here I'll take a look.

I got a response from Supermicro. The response was a little underwhelming:

Thank you for contacting Supermicro Computer's Technical Support

ipmi-raw 00 30 45 01 0#

In place of the #, you can use 0, 1 or 2. This will set the fan mode to 0 – Standard, 1 – Full, 2 – Optimal.

Please let me know how it goes.

I applied the warm reset, and then set it to optimal using the command above, and my fans lowered, and don't seem to be cycling. I'll keep an eye on this and see how it goes.

ipmi-raw 00 30 45 01 0#

In place of the #, you can use 0, 1 or 2. This will set the fan mode to 0 – Standard, 1 – Full, 2 – Optimal.

I applied the warm reset, and then set it to optimal using the command above, and my fans lowered, and don't seem to be cycling. I'll keep an eye on this and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info. I'll incorporate this into the current fan control script I've been testing. And add a reset button.

ipmi-raw 00 30 45 01 0#

That was a fast reply! I still haven't gotten a reply.

Would like to gets working with SuperMirco Fans and any way to get the temp in the menu where it says MAIN, SHARES DOCKER etc?

You can add temps and fans to the bottom of the webgui.

I see the system and CPU temp now that you mentioned that.  Would be nice to have it in the menu bar or a different color.  Thanks

I am sorry to say that i have found an issue with this plugin.

Unfortunately, a few weeks before i went into hospital i found that my webgui was "lagging". What I mean is that the structure of the page would load (i.e. tables and background images etc) but the data in the pages (i.e. drive data, smart data, docker images, icons etc) would not "appear" or the page finish loading for about 5-8 seconds. It wasn't happening on my Backup server but that was not a surprise as the Backup Server has very little in terms of additional features enabled.

I have narrowed it down to this plugin. Uninstalled everything loads zipidy quick. Installed, the load of the page lags. I have installed - reconfigured - and uninstalled multiple times - still the same result.

I am happy to help you debug this. I would like to install this again. See my Main Server setup in my Sig.

Unfortunately, a few weeks before i went into hospital i found that my webgui was "lagging". What I mean is that the structure of the page would load (i.e. tables and background images etc) but the data in the pages (i.e. drive data, smart data, docker images, icons etc) would not "appear" or the page finish loading for about 5-8 seconds. It wasn't happening on my Backup server but that was not a surprise as the Backup Server has very little in terms of additional features enabled.

I have narrowed it down to this plugin. Uninstalled everything loads zipidy quick. Installed, the load of the page lags. I have installed - reconfigured - and uninstalled multiple times - still the same result.

I am happy to help you debug this. I would like to install this again. See my Main Server setup in my Sig.

Make sure your bmc is using the latest firmware. Usually different than bios and can be updated through the board's ipmi web interface. I assume you're using the latest version of the plugin. The ipmi.plg from the original post and not the previous ipmitool-plugin. I would delete the /boot/config/plugins/ipmi directory too. So no sensors are selected for display in the footer and no monitoring enabled. No errors in the system log? Are you using local or network based? If local, try enabling network with the ip of your bmc, username and password. If that works there might be a problem communicating with ipmi through the kernel driver. The plugin checks for modprobe ipmi_si success but if that works and there are communication errors, freeipmi doesn't have an adjustable timeout for local connections like ipmitool did. I think it's 20 sec. Try running the commands from the command prompt (ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, ipmi-fru) and see if they lag. Also if you install the plugin and it's lagging run "ps aux | grep ipmi" and "pd aux | grep php" from the command line and see if anything from the plugin is holding up the webgui/emttp. That's all I can think of right now. Let me know.

Edit: And I hope everything's ok

Make sure your bmc is using the latest firmware. Usually different than bios and can be updated through the board's ipmi web interface. I assume you're using the latest version of the plugin. The ipmi.plg from the original post and not the previous ipmitool-plugin. I would delete the /boot/config/plugins/ipmi directory too. So no sensors are selected for display in the footer and no monitoring enabled. No errors in the system log? Are you using local or network based? If local, try enabling network with the ip of your bmc, username and password. If that works there might be a problem communicating with ipmi through the kernel driver. The plugin checks for modprobe ipmi_si success but if that works and there are communication errors, freeipmi doesn't have an adjustable timeout for local connections like ipmitool did. I think it's 20 sec. Try running the commands from the command prompt (ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, ipmi-fru) and see if they lag. Also if you install the plugin and it's lagging run "ps aux | grep ipmi" and "pd aux | grep php" from the command line and see if anything from the plugin is holding up the webgui/emttp. That's all I can think of right now. Let me know.

thank you for the kind words, it is now! In and out of hospital for the past month with various infections. Think twice before getting your wisdom teeth out is all I can say!  :)

Anyway ....

I had missed the fact there was a new plugin. I was still using ipmi-tool. Easy fix, following your instructions. Removed the plugin, removed the dir from the flash, installed new plugin from CA. Reconfigured. Works perfectly.

As an aside, nice upgrade efforts. It looks very professional. Excellent work!  :)

Is there anyway to have the System Temp display the IPMI sensored CPU temp instead of coretemp's temp?  Since my UnRAID server is in a VM I can't use Coretemp because it doesn't read the system info properly but remote IPMI does.

You should be able to show any temp or fan that's available through ipmi in the footer of the webgui. You just have to set up ip, username and password to the ipmi interface then select the sensors you want shown.

Make sure you're using the ipmi.plg from the original post.

Is there anyway to have the System Temp display the IPMI sensored CPU temp instead of coretemp's temp?  Since my UnRAID server is in a VM I can't use Coretemp because it doesn't read the system info properly but remote IPMI does.

You should be able to show any temp or fan that's available through ipmi in the footer of the webgui. You just have to set up ip, username and password to the ipmi interface then select the sensors you want shown.

Make sure you're using the ipmi.plg from the original post.

Where in the WebGUI would I go to select the sensors I want shown?  I have the IPMI tool setup and it's reading the sensors as shown in the IPMI Tool page but when I go to system temp there are no sensors listed as options.

Ok so my system definitely doesn't like that plugin.  Even after a reboot my WebGui is non responsive.  How can I remove the plugin from the flash drive?

I think there's just something I missed in checking for local ipmi. There's a long timeout for freeipmi.  Go to the command line and try ps aux | grep ipmi and ps aux | grep php.  Killall ipmi and killall php  Then setup networking.

Ok so my system definitely doesn't like that plugin.  Even after a reboot my WebGui is non responsive.  How can I remove the plugin from the flash drive?

I think there's just something I missed in checking for local ipmi. There's a long timeout for freeipmi.  Go to the command line and try ps aux | grep ipmi and ps aux | grep php.  Killall ipmi and killall php  Then setup networking.

Already removed the plugin manually from the flash drive to get my system back online.  But thanks.