[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

What information would you need to add an Asus Z9PA-D8 with a ASMB6 iKVM module installed.

I have a manual with what I assume is a complete sensor table list.

Kevin.

Did you try the plugin? If so, I'd setup a network connection with username and password. What does ipmisensors show from the command line?

I have the plugin installed.

This is the output from ipmisensors

ID | Name             | Type              | Reading    | Units | Event
1  | CPU1 Temperature | Temperature       | 40.00      | C     | 'OK'
2  | CPU2 Temperature | Temperature       | 53.00      | C     | 'OK'
3  | TR1 Temperature  | Temperature       | 58.00      | C     | 'OK'
4  | TR2 Temperature  | Temperature       | 58.00      | C     | 'OK'
12 | +12V             | Voltage           | 11.71      | V     | 'OK'
13 | +5V              | Voltage           | 4.99       | V     | 'OK'
14 | +5VSB            | Voltage           | 4.99       | V     | 'OK'
15 | +3.3V            | Voltage           | 3.31       | V     | 'OK'
18 | CPU_FAN1         | Fan               | 640.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'
19 | CPU_FAN2         | Fan               | 640.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'
20 | FRNT_FAN1        | Fan               | 640.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'
21 | FRNT_FAN2        | Fan               | 640.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'
23 | FRNT_FAN4        | Fan               | 640.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'
24 | REAR_FAN1        | Fan               | 640.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'

Under Settings/Fan Control Fan Settings says Your board is not currently supported

Kevin

In order to control the fans I need the ipmi raw commands for the asus module. A quick search only resulted in commands for enabling and disabling the fan sensors. So I need the raw commands to set fan speed and you'd have to test them for me to verify they work.

They may not exist. With Asrock I can completely control. Supermicro there's only low, medium and high profiles for all fans.

Sorry, I read the entire thread but still not sure if fan control is already working on Supermicro X9 series, can you please confirm?

No, I haven't had time yet. But when I do it will just be low, medium, high for all fans.

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier or not, but Supermicro confirmed to me that it's not possible to adjust the fans individually or fan groups to a certain duty cycle.

Sorry, I read the entire thread but still not sure if fan control is already working on Supermicro X9 series, can you please confirm?

No, I haven't had time yet. But when I do it will just be low, medium, high for all fans.

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier or not, but Supermicro confirmed to me that it's not possible to adjust the fans individually or fan groups to a certain duty cycle.

Dynamix auto fan is working for me, but I can only set one of the 2 groups, fan A or fans 1 to 4.

Dynamix auto fan is working for me, but I can only set one of the 2 groups, fan A or fans 1 to 4.

I honestly never tried Dynamix autofan. You can change the speed of the fans in the group as you want or only low, medium and high?

Edit: I tried Autofan, but it didn't detect any PWM Controller  :(

I honestly never tried Dynamix autofan. You can change the speed of the fans in the group as you want or only low, medium and high?

It works on a gradient, based on low and high temps selected, I understand temp is the highest HDD one.

Try installing Dynamix System Temp, I believe the sensors come from that.

You you need help with testing feel free to ask, I have the X9SCM-F and X9SCL-F

It works on a gradient, based on low and high temps selected, I understand temp is the highest HDD one.

Try installing Dynamix System Temp, I believe the sensors come from that.

That did the trick, but I got an error message in the Minimun PWM value field when pushing detect. I'll report it in the dynamix thread instead of here :)

I had some issues with my board but after a BMC chip replacement it is all working again.

I have 3 PWM fans installed:

ipmi-sensors -t fan
ID | Name      | Type | Reading    | Units | Event
13 | CPU_FAN1  | Fan  | 1700.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
14 | FRNT_FAN1 | Fan  | 1100.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
15 | FRNT_FAN2 | Fan  | 1000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
16 | FRNT_FAN3 | Fan  | 1000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
17 | FRNT_FAN4 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
18 | FRNT_FAN5 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A

In my understanding FRNT_FAN1-3 should all run on full speed if one of the discs or the MB is running hot? This is the case now. The MB is sitting at 53°C and one of the discs is at 45°C but FRNT_FAN1-3 are running at 500-600 RPM.

Fan Control Log:

2016-08-02 03:43:08 CPU_FAN1(100%):CPU Temperature(46°C), FRNT_FAN1(100%):HDD Temperature(46°C), FRNT_FAN2(100%):HDD Temperature(46°C), FRNT_FAN3(100%):HDD Temperature(46°C)

What should I do?

Fan_Control_Settings.jpg.717256148dfd2c2a4a3e452a99c63a4b.jpg

I had some issues with my board but after a BMC chip replacement it is all working again.

I have 3 PWM fans installed:

ipmi-sensors -t fan
ID | Name      | Type | Reading    | Units | Event
13 | CPU_FAN1  | Fan  | 1700.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
14 | FRNT_FAN1 | Fan  | 1100.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
15 | FRNT_FAN2 | Fan  | 1000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
16 | FRNT_FAN3 | Fan  | 1000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
17 | FRNT_FAN4 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
18 | FRNT_FAN5 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A

In my understanding FRNT_FAN1-3 should all run on full speed if one of the discs or the MB is running hot? This is the case now. The MB is sitting at 53°C and one of the discs is at 45°C but FRNT_FAN1-3 are running at 500-600 RPM.

Fan Control Log:

2016-08-02 03:43:08 CPU_FAN1(100%):CPU Temperature(46°C), FRNT_FAN1(100%):HDD Temperature(46°C), FRNT_FAN2(100%):HDD Temperature(46°C), FRNT_FAN3(100%):HDD Temperature(46°C)

What should I do?

Basically if set to auto the fans will run based on cpu temp. I leave my cpu fan alone. The rest of the fans you have to configure and pick a sensor to run against. Either cpu, motherboard or hard drives. Then pick a linear range e.g. Low = 30, High = 40.  Also a fan speed minimum if you need to keep the fan above a certain rpm.

That said, looking at your fan names it might not work without some testing and a little modification to the boards.json.

Right now the fan matrix which maps the fan names to their place in the ipmi raw command is as follows.

ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 aa bb cc dd ee ff gg hh

"CPU_FAN1": "aa",
      "CPU_FAN2": "bb",
      "REAR_FAN1": "cc",
      "REAR_FAN2": "dd",
      "FRNT_FAN1": "ee",
      "FRNT_FAN2": "ff",
      "FRNT_FAN3": "gg",
      "FRNT_FAN4": "hh"

This sets all fans to auto
ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

This sets all fans to full
ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64

Run this for each fan location, changing the 00 to 64 e.g.
ipmi-sensors -t fan

ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Check which fan changed to full. I would also use a value of 32 or lower to double check.

ipmi-sensors -t fan 

Check next fan and so on.
ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 00

ipmi-sensors -t fan 

Let me know how each fan name corresponds to its place in the raw command.

You can edit the boards.json in the ipmi plugin config folder on your flash drive to match your findings and the fan control script will work then.

Thanks dmacias, understood. I was hoping, that the "AUTO" in Temperature sensor is picking the highest temperature no matter if HDD or MB. Issue is that if all HDD's are inactive the MB can still be pretty hot. So what to choose?

Here is my mobo's setup:

aa=CPU
bb=FRNT_FAN1
cc=FRNT_FAN2
dd=FRNT_FAN3

So my boards.json should look like so?

{                                                                                                                                   
  "ASRockRack": {                                                                                                                   
    "raw": "00 3a 01",                                                                                                              
    "auto":"00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00",                                                                                               
    "full":"64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64",                                                                                               
    "fans": {                                                                                                                       
      "CPU_FAN1": "00",                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
      "FRNT_FAN1": "00",                                                                                                            
      "FRNT_FAN2": "00",                                                                                                            
      "FRNT_FAN3": "00"                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
    }                                                                                                                               
  },                                                                                                                                
  "ASRock": {                                                                                                                       
    "raw":"00 3a 01",                                                                                                               
    }                                                                                                                               
  }                                                                                                                                 
} 

Thanks dmacias, understood. I was hoping, that the "AUTO" in Temperature sensor is picking the highest temperature no matter if HDD or MB. Issue is that if all HDD's are inactive the MB can still be pretty hot. So what to choose?

Here is my mobo's setup:

aa=CPU
bb=FRNT_FAN1
cc=FRNT_FAN2
dd=FRNT_FAN3

So my boards.json should look like so?

{                                                                                                                                   
    }                                                                                                                               
  },                                                                                                                                
    }                                                                                                                               
  }                                                                                                                                 
} 

I'm not sure what order the fan names need to be in. Did you test the ipmi-raw commands to see? That's the only way to figure out the order.

But if you did test then you only need to change the array that matches your ipmi-fru output. ASRockRack or ASRock. Something like this.

{
      "FRNT_FAN3": "00",
      "FRNT_FAN4": "00",
      "FRNT_FAN5": "00",
      "FRNT_FAN6": "00",
      "FRNT_FAN7": "00"
    }
  },
      "CPU_FAN2": "00",
      "REAR_FAN1": "00",
      "REAR_FAN2": "00",
      "FRNT_FAN4": "00"
    }
  }
}

For the motherboard temp I would control a rear fan based on motherboard temp.

This command is putting CPU Fan to auto and the 3 FRNT_FANS to max:

ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 64 64 64 00 00 00 00

This is how I modified the boards.json:

{
    }
  },
    }
  }
}

CPU is at 44°C, MB at 49°C and HDD max. at 36°C. See fan speed at the pic attached.

Does this look ok?

FAN_Settings.jpg.def7e23c220da9f57584741b60a41b3c.jpg

This command is putting CPU Fan to auto and the 3 FRNT_FANS to max:

ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 64 64 64 00 00 00 00

This is how I modified the boards.json:

{
    }
  },
    }
  }
}

CPU is at 44°C, MB at 49°C and HDD max. at 36°C. See fan speed at the pic attached.

Does this look ok?

That looks fine. Except if you want to set CPU FAN to auto then change Temperature Sensor to Auto. I forgot to fix that in the last update but I need to remove the Auto option from Low and High Threshold.

Also I don't think you said but did you verify that second place in the raw command is fan1, third is fan2 etc. I need to work on a way to tell different fan configurations. And does ipmi-fru show ASRockRack?

I changed the CPU_Fan to AUTO but the log isn't showing that Fan anymore (see attached file Fan Settings):

2016-08-03 10:43:20 CPU_FAN1(85%):CPU Temperature(47°C), FRNT_FAN1(100%):M/B Temperature(48°C), FRNT_FAN2(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C), FRNT_FAN3(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C)
2016-08-03 10:45:30 fan control config file updated, reloading settings.
2016-08-03 10:45:33 FRNT_FAN1(100%):M/B Temperature(48°C), FRNT_FAN2(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C), FRNT_FAN3(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C)
2016-08-03 10:48:34 FRNT_FAN1(100%):M/B Temperature(48°C), FRNT_FAN2(56%):HDD Temperature(34°C), FRNT_FAN3(56%):HDD Temperature(34°C)

IPMI-FRU is showing:

FRU Inventory Device: Default FRU Device (ID 00h)

FRU Board Manufacturing Date/Time: 06/23/14 - 15:52:00
  FRU Board Manufacturer: ASRockRack

FRU Product Manufacturer Name: ASRockRack

Should I move back CPU_FAN to let's say 30°C (low) and 50°C (high)?

Fan_Settings.jpg.cdbe962eaeb99014019689af20cb0be7.jpg

I changed the CPU_Fan to AUTO but the log isn't showing that Fan anymore (see attached file Fan Settings):

2016-08-03 10:43:20 CPU_FAN1(85%):CPU Temperature(47°C), FRNT_FAN1(100%):M/B Temperature(48°C), FRNT_FAN2(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C), FRNT_FAN3(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C)
2016-08-03 10:45:30 fan control config file updated, reloading settings.
2016-08-03 10:45:33 FRNT_FAN1(100%):M/B Temperature(48°C), FRNT_FAN2(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C), FRNT_FAN3(64%):HDD Temperature(36°C)
2016-08-03 10:48:34 FRNT_FAN1(100%):M/B Temperature(48°C), FRNT_FAN2(56%):HDD Temperature(34°C), FRNT_FAN3(56%):HDD Temperature(34°C)

IPMI-FRU is showing:

FRU Inventory Device: Default FRU Device (ID 00h)

FRU Board Manufacturing Date/Time: 06/23/14 - 15:52:00
  FRU Board Manufacturer: ASRockRack

FRU Product Manufacturer Name: ASRockRack

Should I move back CPU_FAN to let's say 30°C (low) and 50°C (high)?

There won't be anything in the log with auto. The fan is controlled by the motherboard's smart fan. That's what the 00 ipmi raw command does. Also when the script is stopped it sets all fans to 00 smart fan.  I just prefer to let the bios control the CPU fan. There is a small chance that if the script gets killed or the server crashed the CPU fan could be stuck at a low rpm or off (if the Low Threshold was set high enough) until the script gets restarted. But you should be fine using the 30-50 threshold and the CPU fan will be controlled by the script. The ipmi fru confirms you edited the right board.json array (ASRockRack).

The fan is controlled by the motherboard's smart fan. That's what the 00 ipmi raw command does. Also when the script is stopped it sets all fans to 00 smart fan.  I just prefer to let the bios control the CPU fan. There is a small chance that if the script gets killed or the server crashed the CPU fan could be stuck at a low rpm or off (if the Low Threshold was set high enough) until the script gets restarted.

That is an important hint and it happened to me already twice that the server didn't started properly, hence the script was not running and the fans were spinning at very low speed. Finally the disc's went up to 50°C  :o

Net, net your advise is to set CPU and the two side fans (the fans for the HDD's) to Auto and just the FRNT_FAN1 as shown in the picture attached because otherwise the MB will getting too hot when the disc's are all spun down (our conversation a few post above..).

Thanks a lot again for this GREAT script.

fan_settings.jpg.abfc1ace8a6bc79cd1e4d6e301c2fcbb.jpg

I was searching the forums to lower my fan speed of my case. It's a bit loud at the moment. I came across this plugin and it's look really interesting. I have a Supermicro X11SSM-F-O mobo. I installed the plugin only I can't enable fancontrol.

root@Tower:/# ipmi-sensors
ID   | Name            | Type              | Reading    | Units | Event
4    | CPU Temp        | Temperature       | 22.00      | C     | 'OK'
71   | PCH Temp        | Temperature       | 25.00      | C     | 'OK'
138  | System Temp     | Temperature       | 23.00      | C     | 'OK'
205  | Peripheral Temp | Temperature       | 27.00      | C     | 'OK'
272  | VcpuVRM Temp    | Temperature       | 30.00      | C     | 'OK'
339  | DIMMA1 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
406  | DIMMA2 Temp     | Temperature       | 26.00      | C     | 'OK'
473  | DIMMB1 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
540  | DIMMB2 Temp     | Temperature       | 26.00      | C     | 'OK'
607  | FAN1            | Fan               | 1000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
674  | FAN2            | Fan               | 2300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
741  | FAN3            | Fan               | 2500.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
808  | FAN4            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
875  | FANA            | Fan               | 2600.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
942  | 12V             | Voltage           | 12.32      | V     | 'OK'
1009 | 5VCC            | Voltage           | 5.08       | V     | 'OK'
1076 | 3.3VCC          | Voltage           | 3.40       | V     | 'OK'
1143 | VBAT            | Voltage           | 3.08       | V     | 'OK'
1210 | VCPU            | Voltage           | 0.74       | V     | 'OK'
1277 | VDIMMAB         | Voltage           | 1.20       | V     | 'OK'
1344 | 5VSB            | Voltage           | 5.00       | V     | 'OK'
1411 | 3.3VSB          | Voltage           | 3.27       | V     | 'OK'
1478 | VBMC 1.2V       | Voltage           | 1.22       | V     | 'OK'
1545 | VPCH 1.0V       | Voltage           | 1.02       | V     | 'OK'
1612 | Chassis Intru   | Physical Security | N/A        | N/A   | 'General Chassis Intrusion'

root@Tower:/# sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)
temp2:        +29.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +23.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +22.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +22.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:         +23.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:         +22.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

root@Tower:/# /usr/sbin/ipmi-sensors --output-sensor-thresholds --comma-separated-output --output-sensor-state --ignore-not-available-sensors --non-abbreviated-units                                                                                 
ID,Name,Type,State,Reading,Units,Lower NR,Lower C,Lower NC,Upper NC,Upper C,Upper NR,Event
4,CPU Temp,Temperature,Nominal,22.00,degrees C,0.00,0.00,0.00,95.00,100.00,100.00,'OK'
71,PCH Temp,Temperature,Nominal,25.00,degrees C,-11.00,-8.00,-5.00,90.00,95.00,100.00,'OK'
138,System Temp,Temperature,Nominal,23.00,degrees C,-9.00,-7.00,-5.00,80.00,85.00,90.00,'OK'
205,Peripheral Temp,Temperature,Nominal,27.00,degrees C,-13.00,-11.00,-9.00,76.00,81.00,86.00,'OK'
272,VcpuVRM Temp,Temperature,Nominal,30.00,degrees C,-9.00,-7.00,-5.00,95.00,100.00,105.00,'OK'
406,DIMMA2 Temp,Temperature,Nominal,26.00,degrees C,1.00,2.00,4.00,80.00,85.00,90.00,'OK'
540,DIMMB2 Temp,Temperature,Nominal,26.00,degrees C,1.00,2.00,4.00,80.00,85.00,90.00,'OK'
607,FAN1,Fan,Nominal,1000.00,RPM,300.00,500.00,700.00,25300.00,25400.00,25500.00,'OK'
674,FAN2,Fan,Nominal,2300.00,RPM,300.00,500.00,700.00,25300.00,25400.00,25500.00,'OK'
741,FAN3,Fan,Nominal,2500.00,RPM,300.00,500.00,700.00,25300.00,25400.00,25500.00,'OK'
875,FANA,Fan,Nominal,2500.00,RPM,300.00,500.00,700.00,25300.00,25400.00,25500.00,'OK'
942,12V,Voltage,Nominal,12.32,Volts,10.14,10.27,10.78,12.96,13.28,13.41,'OK'
1009,5VCC,Voltage,Nominal,5.08,Volts,4.25,4.30,4.48,5.39,5.55,5.60,'OK'
1076,3.3VCC,Voltage,Nominal,3.40,Volts,2.79,2.82,2.96,3.55,3.66,3.69,'OK'
1143,VBAT,Voltage,Nominal,3.08,Volts,2.38,2.50,2.58,3.48,3.59,3.67,'OK'
1210,VCPU,Voltage,Nominal,0.74,Volts,0.08,0.08,0.08,1.52,1.52,1.52,'OK'
1277,VDIMMAB,Voltage,Nominal,1.21,Volts,0.95,0.97,1.05,1.34,1.43,1.44,'OK'
1344,5VSB,Voltage,Nominal,5.00,Volts,4.25,4.38,4.48,5.39,5.55,5.60,'OK'
1411,3.3VSB,Voltage,Nominal,3.27,Volts,2.79,2.89,2.96,3.55,3.66,3.69,'OK'
1478,VBMC 1.2V,Voltage,Nominal,1.22,Volts,1.02,1.05,1.09,1.34,1.37,1.40,'OK'
1545,VPCH 1.0V,Voltage,Nominal,1.02,Volts,0.87,0.89,0.92,1.04,1.05,1.07,'OK'
1612,Chassis Intru,Physical Security,Critical,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,'General Chassis Intrusion'

Please some help.

The fan control only works for some of the Asrock server boards.

You can change the fan settings in the IPMI Web interface. I guess it's running at full speed now?

You could also try if the dynamix autofan plugin works. You have to install dynamix temp plugin also for autofan to work.