Docker type implementation of KVM images

Shoot me if this has already been suggested, or just shoot me if that's your preference.

I was thinking to myself about dockers being an easy way for the less adventerous to get linux apps and how some of the requests for dockers in the docker threads would be somewhat better served by being VM's

which brings me to the idea.

can there be some kind of repository for people to offer pre-built KVM images to, or at the very least or at best in conjunction with a guide on how to make said images so they can be shared around.

This is something we are working on. The primary challenge that makes this more difficult than Docker is merely the sheer size of the images and the method of distribution. We will need to host them for our own images, unlike Docker where they provide the hosting for everything on the Docker hub.

This is something we are working on. The primary challenge that makes this more difficult than Docker is merely the sheer size of the images and the method of distribution. We will need to host them for our own images, unlike Docker where they provide the hosting for everything on the Docker hub.

would a peer to peer file sharing network be appropriate or not ?

i can't remember the damn name, but i was reading about one a couple of weeks ago.

i'll expand the idea to the limit of my imagination, hee hee.

there could be a "torrent site/page" for community images and a ratio system implemented somehow where you must seed to a certain point, so the things that are popular get spread around and are not dependant on one person serving up files to everyone who wants them.

/end imagination.

there could be a "torrent site/page" for community images and a ratio system implemented somehow where you must seed to a certain point, so the things that are popular get spread around and are not dependant on one person serving up files to everyone who wants them.

/end imagination.

And when you don't hit the ratios? 

/end imagination.

And when you don't hit the ratios?

firing squad and/or no cookies whichever is the most applicable.

not allowed to get any more images until your ratio improves.

I'll pipe in on the ratio topic...

As much as I want to attain a ratio > 1 for all files, my d/l and u/l speeds, 380Kb/s & 100Kb/s, (along with my ISP plan's monthly limit) would prohibit this from being achieved in a reasonable time frame.

I'm sure (hope?) there are others like me where the above restrictions mean you are more of a leecher than a seeder.

However, it doesn't mean that I wouldn't become a seeder, it would just take some time to achieve a ratio > X, and 'opening' hours would also be restricted as would my u/l speeds.

Otherwise I'll take the no cookies option... :'(

Food for thought from a peer.

cheers,

gwl

I suspect some users could be counted on to seed indefinitely. I would be willing to do so.

If limetech is already OK with hosting on their site, I would expect them to be seeding 24/7 (as long as they can run some sort of a torrent client on their server)

I'm not sure what type of a server or internet connection limetech has or if they use a cdn or not, but I'm guessing it would be cheaper for them to distribute through torrents under any scenario I can think of (as long as technically feasible)

They can even post links through web based torrent clients so to most users it will look and work like a regular download