Looking for Docker Minecraft server

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got that part ok. How do players see my server online on the web?

I am no expert, but I assume it is a matter of forwarding the proper Ports from the outside to the appropriate server. Your router would need to forward whatever port Minecraft is using to the IP of your unRaid server. This does open your Minecraft server to the open, so I would look at whitelisting the playerlist.

Do you mean outside your local network? Not recommended. You could set up a VPN but anyone you gave access to it would have access to your whole network.

Hi Trurl,

I have various ports open in my router pointing to my Sab, SB, CP... passworded. Should I be worried? I have done this for years...

Gragorg:

For minecraft, you need to open the port (cant remember the number - 25565?) and point it to the IP of your server. The admin is on another port set in docker, and you do not need to forward that one. You can Google how to open ports for your make and model of router.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean outside your local network? Not recommended. You could set up a VPN but anyone you gave access to it would have access to your whole network.

Hi Trurl,

I have various ports open in my router pointing to my Sab, SB, CP... passworded. Should I be worried? I have done this for years...

Gragorg:

For minecraft, you need to open the port (cant remember the number - 25565?) and point it to the IP of your server. The admin is on another port set in docker, and you do not need to forward that one. You can Google how to open ports for your make and model of router.

This is why I setup my reverse proxy.  Everything comes in on port 443 and has an SSL cert.  Only one port open and secured.

Anything with the word proxy, and my mind turns blank. I have zero experience with this... I could learn... uphill battle... one question though.

I created my own Apache-PHP docker based on others. Primarily I use it to host a web site for personal use. On this container, can I still host the web sites and also configure it for reverse proxy stuff?

Anything with the word proxy, and my mind turns blank. I have zero experience with this... I could learn... uphill battle... one question though.

I created my own Apache-PHP docker based on others. Primarily I use it to host a web site for personal use. On this container, can I still host the web sites and also configure it for reverse proxy stuff?

For sure.  You just need to find and edit "sites-available/000-default.conf" or it could just be called default.conf

I've been using itzg/minecraft-server. Does MineOS allow the same container to host multiple servers?

itzg/minecraft-server is a little temperamental. The container will stop working, where restarting doesn't fix it. I have to go to the edit screen for the container, then save it so that the container is recreated.

Regarding security, even if someone hacks in via port 25565, all they'll be able to do is muck with your minecraft server. Big whoop. AFAIK it's very hard to break out of the Docker container to get into the host or other containers. If you do open up the port on your router, you probably want to set up a whitelist for the players that can join the server, and also set up one of the dynamic DNS options so that outsiders can go to named location instead of a possibly changing IP address.

I've been using itzg/minecraft-server. Does MineOS allow the same container to host multiple servers?

itzg/minecraft-server is a little temperamental. The container will stop working, where restarting doesn't fix it. I have to go to the edit screen for the container, then save it so that the container is recreated.

Regarding security, even if someone hacks in via port 25565, all they'll be able to do is muck with your minecraft server. Big whoop. AFAIK it's very hard to break out of the Docker container to get into the host or other containers. If you do open up the port on your router, you probably want to set up a whitelist for the players that can join the server, and also set up one of the dynamic DNS options so that outsiders can go to named location instead of a possibly changing IP address.

I have no idea... sorry... My son has been misbehaving and consequently he has lost his computer privileges. He is the one who knows the Minecraft stuff.

I have my own personal domain registered at no-ip.com and they do all the dns...

I have no idea... sorry... My son has been misbehaving and consequently he has lost his computer privileges. He is the one who knows the Minecraft stuff.

It's nice to hear some good old parenting! Reminds me when my Dad took the aerial lead for my Amiga off me for misbehaving!  I didn't like it at the time, but fast forward twenty years and he's my best friend as well as being my Dad.

Does MineOS allow the same container to host multiple servers?

To answer my own question: yes! There are even instructions for installing a Forge server for modding. If anyone's interested, be sure to reboot the server after you install the mods, and also install them into the client. (It's my son's birthday, so I thought a modded server would be a good gift.)

I've switched from 4 different docker containers for 4 different servers to 1 mineos container that exposes ports 25565-25569.

I also shared the webui with my son so that he can restart the server. I'm hoping that will reduce the operational cost for me... He copy-pasted some command 3 times this morning that crashed the server. ;)

• 1 month later...