unRAID Server Release 6.0-rc6a-x86_64 Available

I read somewhere that smb-extra.conf has been ditched from newer releases.

I don't believe that is true, and as Frank showed, it's almost certain it's not true.  Can you recall where you read that?

Where can I put those options now?

If smb-extra.conf is working for you now in -rc6a, then it's unlikely to change in the final version.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't believe that is true, and as Frank showed, it's almost certain it's not true.  Can you recall where you read that?

If smb-extra.conf is working for you now in -rc6a, then it's unlikely to change in the final version.

I agree!!!  While there are probably less than fifty unRAID users who have a use for that file, those who do would be very knowledgeable and would need no support in using that feature.  The only reason that it might be dropped is if Samba dropped support of the 'include' statement and I can't see that EVER happening!!!  (I can remember that the 'include' statement was a part of the UNIX C compiler back in the early 1980's. It is an essential part of that language which saves uncalculable amounts of time in writing programs!) 

EDIT:  Plus, one could easily construct a smb.conf to add the line back in and save the file for the Flash drive.  Then add the necessary commands into the go file to stop samba, copy this new file to the proper location, and restart Samba.  Problem solved!

Upgraded from rc5 to rca remotely using the built-in plugin. For the first time ever, I noticed about 6 of 11 disks not available (not found) after the reboot. Appears as though one of my SATA connector board was not detected. Decided to reboot again and now everything is okay. The madsonic docker which had to be rebuilt the first time after a reboot (due to DNS issue) works now without the docker rebuild. Do not know the root cause why many of my disks went missing the first time reboot after the upgrade. Are previous logs stored on the unraid usb before a 'powerdown reboot' is called?

Download

Clicking 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page is the preferred way to upgrade.

I agree!!!  While there are probably less than fifty unRAID users who have a use for that file, those who do would be very knowledgeable and would need no support in using that feature.  The only reason that it might be dropped is if Samba dropped support of the 'include' statement and I can't see that EVER happening!!!  (I can remember that the 'include' statement was a part of the UNIX C compiler back in the early 1980's. It is an essential part of that language which saves uncalculable amounts of time in writing programs!) 

EDIT:  Plus, one could easily construct a smb.conf to add the line back in and save the file for the Flash drive.  Then add the necessary commands into the go file to stop samba, copy this new file to the proper location, and restart Samba.  Problem solved!

I haven't actually tested this since rc5, but I am using smb-extra.conf in conjunction with TrueCrypt.

I have powerdown plugin installed and rebooted using the powerdown plugin. Where can I find the previous log?

Are previous logs stored on the unraid usb before a 'powerdown reboot' is called?

Not as standard.    They are if you have installed the Powerdown plugin.

I am quite sorry for all the noise. I actually read it as part of a post from you, RobJ which I completely missunderstood - I get that now  :D :D  ;D

I wan't really following the discussion but only read that last statement - bear with me :)

Thank you all for the clarification!

I am quite sorry for all the noise. I actually read it as part of a post from you, RobJ which I completely missunderstood - I get that now  :D :D  ;D

I wan't really following the discussion but only read that last statement - bear with me :)

Then I owe you an apology!  I've edited it slightly.  I often wish I had an editor following me around.

I often see a lot of mention of a "powerdown plugin".  Can someone explain what it does and also point me to it?  If it works as well as it seems to, why is it not part of the core?

TIA!

John

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31735.0

Apparently the powerdown sequence in v6 is much improved...  but I still like the plugin because it saves a log file.  I don't claim to understand all the details about the differences but if someone can succinctly explain them I'd appreciate it too.

Minor nit ==>  Just noticed that the "Status" column on the Plugins page is inconsistent in what it shows when there are no updates available ...  Some show "up-to-date"  and  others show  "no update"

No big deal of course, but consistency is always nice  :)

Another nit:

On the webgui Main Tab, the Used and Free columns remain left justified regardless of the Display Setting for number alignment (left, right or center).  The other numeric columns align properly.  Yeah I used to write accounting software.  Accountants would have a fit when I did that ....

I see what the problem is.  I use a Firefox addon called "Blank Your Monitor + Easy Reading" which inverts the display (I cannot look at white background screens for very long or I go snow blind ...)  This ends up hiding the "bar".  Setting the Used/Free to "Text" fixes the problem for me.

Minor nit ==>  Just noticed that the "Status" column on the Plugins page is inconsistent in what it shows when there are no updates available ...  Some show "up-to-date"  and  others show  "no update"

I believe that "up-to-date" is shown for plugins which are added as urls, and "no update" is used where there is no url (no online source).  For instance, my two plugins which have been added simply as local .plg files show "no update".

I believe that "up-to-date" is shown for plugins which are added as urls, and "no update" is used where there is no url (no online source).  For instance, my two plugins which have been added simply as local .plg files show "no update".

For me, only the unRAID OS and the Dynamix UI show as "no update", while the ones added via a URL show as "up-to-date".

Another nit:

On the webgui Main Tab, the Used and Free columns remain left justified regardless of the Display Setting for number alignment (left, right or center).  The other numeric columns align properly.  Yeah I used to write accounting software.  Accountants would have a fit when I did that ....

I see what the problem is.  I use a Firefox addon called "Blank Your Monitor + Easy Reading" which inverts the display (I cannot look at white background screens for very long or I go snow blind ...)  This ends up hiding the "bar".  Setting the Used/Free to "Text" fixes the problem for me.

Wouldn't switching Dynamix color theme in settings to BLACK work?

Another nit:

Wouldn't switching Dynamix color theme in settings to BLACK work?

Yes it would, but I have this add-on enabled most of the time as my default.  Keep in mind I may have anywhere from 60 to 80 tabs open (I use sidetabs).  However it is easy to toggle it on/off from a toolbar icon.  I am used to doing that on some sites and not at all on others.  Depends on web page content.  I just never needed to do it on the webgui since the display I get is every bit as good as the black theme as far as I am concerned. 

Color schemes are my biggest complaint about Windows 10.  I haven't found a way to tame theirs yet.  They have neutered/broke much of what we had in Windows 7.  Best solution is not to get old.  ;D:o::)

For me, only the unRAID OS and the Dynamix UI show as "no update", while the ones added via a URL show as "up-to-date".

Very interesting.  On mine the UnRAID OS shows "Up-to-Date" whereas the Dynamix UI shows "no update" ... that's the inconsistency I noted when I posted about this.

Don't think that's the case, since the only two shown on my test setup (which has no added plugins) are Dynamix and UnRAID ... and both are clearly updated via the web.

Very interesting.  On mine the UnRAID OS shows "Up-to-Date" whereas the Dynamix UI shows "no updates" ... that's the inconsistency I noted when I posted about this.

It will show "up-to-date" for those plugins which have a URL reference to their release version. When such a reference is not present in the PLG file, it will show "no update" instead.

For the time being the reference for the Dynamix webGUI is taken out to prevent double announcement when a new unRAID version is available. In future this will get addressed.

... For the time being the reference for the Dynamix webGUI is taken out to prevent double announcement when a new unRAID version is available. In future this will get addressed.

Ahh ... that explains why they show different status indications.

Another note:  After I updated to v6 the status for UNRAID then showed "unknown" (as I noted above).    Clicking on Update again then fixed that so it said "up-to-date".

HOWEVER ... when I booted it again today, it shows "unknown" again.    As it did last night, if I then click on Update again it reverts back to "up-to-date".

Interesting behavior  :)      I understand initializing it to "unknown" ... but one would think if it was just updated, it might "know" that and show the "up-to-date" status.      On the other hand, without an automated check, this status is likely going to be frequently wrong anyway, since many systems run without reboots for a LOT of days (e.g. my media server hasn't rebooted in nearly a year) ... so if you boot; run Update to change the status to "up-to-date"; and then just leave it alone, it will always show "up-to-date".    Perhaps it should always show "unknown" for ALL of the plugins when you first to go that page, and just update it after you click the "Update" button  :)    This is clearly no big deal ... just noting that (a) there's an inconsistency in the display of the info; and (b) it seems the way it's currently updated it's likely to be wrong a good bit of the time.