Closed (Original LinuxServer support thread)

For updating to the latest Plex, what about making the "version string" user definable?

going to plex.tv one could easily find the current stable or plex-pass version and input it themselves.

in a  docker environment the unraid package would be useless...

that's a slack pack...

dockers are linux distros like ubuntu or arch and so on.

it was just a sample!  Besides, versions are mostly similar anyways, no?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We have discoverd a issue, i will look in to it, and get back at you soon. :)"

Good to hear...I look forward to the fix!

EDIT:

Tested out the new nzbget and it is working now without changing the owner/permissions!  Awesome!

Also tested out the new plex, but it has a slight issue:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/10_dbus.sh...

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/11_new_user.sh...

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/20_update_plex.sh...

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed  Time    Time    Time  Current

Dload  Upload  Total  Spent    Left  Speed

0    0    0    0    0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--    0

1  100    21    0    0    117      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  117

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/99_chown_plex_owned_files.sh...

find: `/config/Library/Application Support': No such file or directory

*** /etc/my_init.d/99_chown_plex_owned_files.sh failed with status 1

It keeps on getting stuck here and repeats until I kill the container...

I know all the perms on the config folder are working, so maybe that script is running too soon??

Thanks!

Thant should be fixed now.

Great job!!

Everything is working perfectly now!

Thanks!!

Sorry, feel bad having a plex conversation in this thread after asking for the individual threads :) But this is where the existing conversation is...

For updating to the latest Plex, what about making the "version string" user definable?

going to plex.tv one could easily find the current stable or plex-pass version and input it themselves.

no need plex is auto updatable now following the script made by Kode

What happens if a plexpass release causes problems for some people, will you downgrade everyone to the previous version?  But what if the latest version actually solves problems for other people and they don't want to be downgraded?

The great thing with Needo's Plex docker is that the user can specify exactly which version of Plex they want.  So if you set the VERSION environment variable to "0.9.12.3", it calls this script:

http://plex.baconopolis.net/version.php?version=0.9.12.3

to get the url to the file:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.12.3.1173-937aac3/plexmediaserver_0.9.12.3.1173-937aac3_amd64.deb

Can the same functionality be added to this docker?

Sorry, feel bad having a plex conversation in this thread after asking for the individual threads :) But this is where the existing conversation is...

What happens if a plexpass release causes problems for some people, will you downgrade everyone to the previous version?  But what if the latest version actually solves problems for other people and they don't want to be downgraded?

The great thing with Needo's Plex docker is that the user can specify exactly which version of Plex they want.  So if you set the VERSION environment variable to "0.9.12.3", it calls this script:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.12.3.1173-937aac3/plexmediaserver_0.9.12.3.1173-937aac3_amd64.deb

There is currently a build in progress with the suggested feature inplemented.

There is currently a build in progress with the suggested feature inplemented.

This looks great!  I like that passing in the full version ("0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21") means it doesn't need a helper script to find the download url.

Version numbers can be found here if anyone needs them:

https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

Just wanted to announce a couple of new contributors to the LinuxServer.io community.

kode - the fanart.tv guy who's working on Aesir, a new unRAID webUI

smdion - well, you know him already but he's contributed dozens of Docker's to date but is converting his existing fleet to be under the LinuxServer maintenance umbrella.

Welcome to the team guys!

What is LinuxServer.io?

Well, it started out life as my personal blog (blog.ktz.me) and then morphed into a community based site with articles about how to do things on a Linux Server aimed at the home user. Since then, lonix, j0nnymoe and I have migrated back to unRAID and converted our existing Docker's to truly platform agnostic whilst supporting unRAID.

Now, we're just a group a chaps who hangout in IRC (@freenode.net #linuxserver.io). We're looking for contributors to various projects including Docker containers, Aesir and authors for posts and content on the main blog itself. We also have our own forums at forum.linuxserver.io if you want to take a peak. The idea is, if we can get a group of people passionate about Docker all pulling in the same direction, amazing things can and will happen. More the merrier!

Just wanted to announce a couple of new contributors to the LinuxServer.io community.

kode - the fanart.tv guy who's working on Aesir, a new unRAID webUI

smdion - well, you know him already but he's contributed dozens of Docker's to date but is converting his existing fleet to be under the LinuxServer maintenance umbrella.

Welcome to the team guys!

What is LinuxServer.io?

Well, it started out life as my personal blog (blog.ktz.me) and then morphed into a community based site with articles about how to do things on a Linux Server aimed at the home user. Since then, lonix, j0nnymoe and I have migrated back to unRAID and converted our existing Docker's to truly platform agnostic whilst supporting unRAID.

Now, we're just a group a chaps who hangout in IRC (@freenode.net #linuxserver.io). We're looking for contributors to various projects including Docker containers, Aesir and authors for posts and content on the main blog itself. We also have our own forums at forum.linuxserver.io if you want to take a peak. The idea is, if we can get a group of people passionate about Docker all pulling in the same direction, amazing things can and will happen. More the merrier!

No changes yet in any of my dockers. I'll let you know if you need to do anything!

• 2 weeks later...

General question about your dockers (sorry if it's a dumb question but I don't fully understand dockers). When you say that your dockers auto-update when started, does that mean the base OS and the application get updated? The reason I ask is I am currently running a Ubuntu server 14.04 VM with CoutchPotato and SickRage and that was working fine for a bit but now with the latest version of CP, it requires certain security fixes that are only available with Ubuntu 15.04 or certain providers will not work currently. Yes I could upgrade but I figured if this was going to happen on a regular basis docker was probably a better solution. So to restate my question, I am asking how your dockers handle OS security updates?

General question about your dockers (sorry if it's a dumb question but I don't fully understand dockers). When you say that your dockers auto-update when started, does that mean the base OS and the application get updated? The reason I ask is I am currently running a Ubuntu server 14.04 VM with CoutchPotato and SickRage and that was working fine for a bit but now with the latest version of CP, it requires certain security fixes that are only available with Ubuntu 15.04 or certain providers will not work currently. Yes I could upgrade but I figured if this was going to happen on a regular basis docker was probably a better solution. So to restate my question, I am asking how your dockers handle OS security updates?

The auto update only applies to the application in question.  So on startup it would update CouchPotato or Sickrage. 

Smarter ppl feel free to correct, but when building the container you need to choose which base OS to use so not seeing an easy auto update for the OS.

Thanks very much for posting and creating the SmokePing docker. One question though: How can I edit the smokeping_config file so I can make changes like email alerts etc? Thanks very much for letting me know, Alex.

Welcome, glad you like it. Its neat isn't it?

I haven't added that feature yet. I wasn't totally convinced of Smokepings stability yet but its just been running for a week for me at hone and on my VPS. I guess I can tick that box and move onto features. 

You can of course modify the Targets file in /config volume to change the ping targets. I'll get around to sorting out the email thing hopefully by the end of this week if work quietens down a bit.

Hi, were you able to make any progress on the email notifications for SmokePing by any chance? Would be great to get this up and running fully on my new unRAID machine. Thanks for your hard work on these Dockers!

Hi, everyone. I would just like to say we do take requests and another major difference here is that these containers anyone is suggested to contribute too. Also I approve this thread

Great work!  I'm a happy Linuxserver nzbget and sonarr user and am grateful for your attention to detail and contribution to the community!  Since you're taking requests, I'll throw another one out there, Emby.  I've made the switch from Plex and hope to never look back...  Keep up the great work!

Hi, were you able to make any progress on the email notifications for SmokePing by any chance? Would be great to get this up and running fully on my new unRAID machine. Thanks for your hard work on these Dockers!

I'm told SparklyBalls submitted a patch that added this, so it should work

Hey guys,

I am running your Headphones docker and it works very nicely. I have one question, is ffmpeg installed? It is required if you want Headphones to re-encode for you. I went into the docker and typed:

which ffmpeg

And it did not return anything. If its not installed, any chance you could add it please?

:)

Many thanks,

H.

Hey guys,

I am running your Headphones docker and it works very nicely. I have one question, is ffmpeg installed? It is required if you want Headphones to re-encode for you. I went into the docker and typed:

which ffmpeg

And it did not return anything. If its not installed, any chance you could add it please?

:)

Many thanks,

H.

Yea.. that was originally my docker and I don't have FFmpeg in there.. I'll update it!