[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

9 hours ago, lovingHDTV said:

Nope, never ran a plugin for plex.  Just the linuxserverio plex docker.

Hence my confusion.

Not much we can help with since you haven't supplied any info other than plex have open files and killing the process restart the process.

I updated the container 4 days  ago but this morning I woke up to my server not being connected even though its running and I dont see error. All devices cant connect not even webui? Something corrupted?

Its like as if my server was installed for the first time. Had the welcome screen and all. Had to recreate it and reshare all my users. But now I cant get it accessible to outside my network.

Edited by mkono87
On 4/13/2020 at 5:26 AM, uaeproz said:

Can you tell me where to stop:

cd /usr/lib/plexmediaserver

mv "Plex Transcoder" "Plex Transcoder2"

apt-get update

apt-get install nano

nano Plex Transcoder

#!/bin/sh

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder2 -hwaccel nvdec "$@"

Add Transcoder after Plex

chmod +x "Plex Transcoder"

I didn't do any of that.  Works fine for me.  Like I say, the video is accurate - just stop when you have to open a terminal to the container.  I actually followed your post and the video to get it working for me (Nvidia GRID M60 GPU), but stopped when it told me to crack open a terminal window.

If you have to open a terminal window to the container, then that's when you would feed the issue upstream to this thread so the container managers can see if it's something they want to support and/or manage.

The reason you don't want to muck with it is when an updated version of the container is released, it will likely blow out any customizations or modifications you've made to the container.  And that's by design.

Edited by Jason Harris
54 minutes ago, Jason Harris said:

I didn't do any of that.  Works fine for me.  Like I say, the video is accurate - just stop when you have to open a terminal to the container.  I actually followed your post and the video to get it working for me (Nvidia GRID M60 GPU), but stopped when it told me to crack open a terminal window.

If you have to open a terminal window to the container, then that's when you would feed the issue upstream to this thread so the container managers can see if it's something they want to support and/or manage.

The reason you don't want to muck with it is when an updated version of the container is released, it will likely blow out any customizations or modifications you've made to the container.  And that's by design.

Also decoding is now support in plex, so absolutely no reason to modify anything to get it working.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, saarg said:

Also decoding is now support in plex, so absolutely no reason to modify anything to get it working.

A Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, etc, won't have access to NVDEC.

Sorry if I misunderstood something?

Edited by Jason Harris
3 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

A Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, etc, won't have access to NVDEC.

Sorry if I misunderstood something?

The clients, Roku and the others you mention, will get a stream they can play. The Plex server is the one with access to the GPU and use both decode and encode of the GPU.

• Like 1

I just updated plex and now it won't start again.

Execution error

Server error

Is the window unraid spits out when attempting to start.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-8746aba1-0848-abca-4528-4f640b678b58' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/plexshares/Movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/plexshares/TV Shows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Media/Music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/tmp':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' --runtime=nvidia 'linuxserver/plex'

854f2503e585b2eb9817e8b67040d73a6038955308f2d9b633b39bc297d1dbb1
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:346: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:449: container init caused "process_linux.go:432: running prestart hook 0 caused \"error running hook: exit status 1, stdout: , stderr: nvidia-container-cli: initialization error: cuda error: invalid device ordinal\\n\""": unknown.

The command failed.

5 hours ago, squelch said:

I just updated plex and now it won't start again.

Execution error

Server error

Is the window unraid spits out when attempting to start.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-8746aba1-0848-abca-4528-4f640b678b58' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/plexshares/Movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/plexshares/TV Shows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Media/Music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/tmp':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' --runtime=nvidia 'linuxserver/plex'

854f2503e585b2eb9817e8b67040d73a6038955308f2d9b633b39bc297d1dbb1
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:346: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:449: container init caused "process_linux.go:432: running prestart hook 0 caused \"error running hook: exit status 1, stdout: , stderr: nvidia-container-cli: initialization error: cuda error: invalid device ordinal\\n\""": unknown.

The command failed.

Not  saying it's the same problem but I also couldn't start Plex (I run the Org. Plex docker) and I added the log option and then it started again?

--runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1

(I am also having a backup docker installed with the Linux server Plex docker that I can start if the other one doesn't start after a update, I recommend having this setup you can point both of them to the same media meta-data folder so it doesn't really take up too much storage and one of them always work :-)

Sort of a two part question here...

I'm using this plex docker on unraid.  Latest versions of everything.

So, whenever I have large movies added to my Media folder and Plex finds it, it seems to fully lock up Plex for awhile until it is done importing it.  I've dealt with this for way longer than I care to admit... but in searching this forum I found some recommendations to others with similar issues, that i should make sure appdata path in the docker is set to /mnt/cache/  instead of /mnt/user.

And sure enough, I checked and I currently am setup with /mnt/user.    So my first question, since appdata share is set to cache only, what impact does this really have?

Second question, I tried updating this from /mnt/user/ to be /mnt/cache/ and now plex won't start and continuously crashed.  Getting a "unraid failed to create uuid file" errors over and over.  It says it keeps outputting crash reports too, but when checking the folder in appdata for crash reports, nothing new is there.

I deleted and re created the image as well to just try that. No luck.

For now I switched back to /mnt/user since it 'works'.   I welcome any advice though

12 hours ago, mdoom said:

Sort of a two part question here...

I'm using this plex docker on unraid.  Latest versions of everything.

So, whenever I have large movies added to my Media folder and Plex finds it, it seems to fully lock up Plex for awhile until it is done importing it.  I've dealt with this for way longer than I care to admit... but in searching this forum I found some recommendations to others with similar issues, that i should make sure appdata path in the docker is set to /mnt/cache/  instead of /mnt/user.

And sure enough, I checked and I currently am setup with /mnt/user.    So my first question, since appdata share is set to cache only, what impact does this really have?

Second question, I tried updating this from /mnt/user/ to be /mnt/cache/ and now plex won't start and continuously crashed.  Getting a "unraid failed to create uuid file" errors over and over.  It says it keeps outputting crash reports too, but when checking the folder in appdata for crash reports, nothing new is there.

I deleted and re created the image as well to just try that. No luck.

For now I switched back to /mnt/user since it 'works'.   I welcome any advice though

There shouldn't be any difference switching to /mnt/cache that would make plex crash if all files are on cache. Are you sure all files are on the cache drive?

Woke up to plex not working and the log is full of "Starting Plex Media Server".  I have tried restarting the docker and rebooted unraid, neither worked.  My cache drive became 100% full at some point last night I think, this might be related.  Usually when that causes docker issues a reboot solves it.

User uid: 99
User gid: 100
-------------------------------------

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
No update required
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
No update required
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

After that the last message just repeats.

9 minutes ago, bobobeastie said:

My cache drive became 100% full at some point last night I think, this might be related. 

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post.

Sounds like maybe your issues are larger than just this container, so I may split to its own thread.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post.

Sounds like maybe your issues are larger than just this container, so I may split to its own thread.

Careful now with the splitting 😝

1 hour ago, bobobeastie said:

diagnostics are attached

You have a lot of shares, all with no Minimum Free, and a lot of mostly full disks. This is likely to cause issues with overfilling disks.

The general recommendation is to set Minimum Free for a share to larger than the largest file you expect to write to the share. Unraid has no way to know how large a file will become when it chooses a disk to write. If a disk has less than Minimum, it will choose another. Cache also has a Minimum setting in Global Share Settings.

Other than that, it isn't clear what the specific issue is. You might try deleting and recreating docker image in Settings - Docker. Then the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page will reinstall your dockers just as they were.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

You have a lot of shares, all with no Minimum Free, and a lot of mostly full disks. This is likely to cause issues with overfilling disks.

The general recommendation is to set Minimum Free for a share to larger than the largest file you expect to write to the share. Unraid has no way to know how large a file will become when it chooses a disk to write. If a disk has less than Minimum, it will choose another. Cache also has a Minimum setting in Global Share Settings.

Other than that, it isn't clear what the specific issue is. You might try deleting and recreating docker image in Settings - Docker. Then the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page will reinstall your dockers just as they were.

I was aware of the fact that unraid would try to write files that were too large for the destination but never looked for a setting to prevent it or did any research.  I guess I don't understand why unraid doesn't just look at the current file size and determine that it won't fit, and then write it to the array?  I have put some values in for this on my shares the write to cache and hopefully it will help prevent this issue in the future.

First I tried removing the plex docker, no dice, then I stopped docker in settings and removed the image, added plex back alone and still no dice, same error message, I haven't seen any issues before or after with any of my other containers, they all added back fine.  I'm attaching a fresh diagnostics from after re-setting up docker, just in case.

nastheripper-diagnostics-20200523-1726.zip

Did some googling and got it fixed.  In case anyone else has the same issue, my database was corrupt, probably because it wasn't able to get written to.  First I stopped plex, and moved the file labeled 1 in the below image to a backup folder that I created.  Then plex was able to start , but it was a fresh install, I thought maybe it would grab a backup, no luck, but at least plex would start.  Then I stopped plex again, deleted the tiny version of file #1 that had just been created, copied file number 2, because it was the most recent date, to the backup folder, then renamed the original copy to not have the date.  That worked and now plex has only forgotten the last 3 days.  Too bad plex will only create a copy every 3 days.  I was waiting on winrar opening CA_Backup.tar, and it looks like I have a newer version in there, so that's even better.  Thanks for the help @trurl !

image.thumb.png.a7617431c7359f52848d8a2e44da725d.png

4 hours ago, bobobeastie said:

I guess I don't understand why unraid doesn't just look at the current file size and determine that it won't fit

How is it supposed to "look" at the "current file size"? What does that even mean when the file doesn't exist on Unraid yet?

20 hours ago, trurl said:

How is it supposed to "look" at the "current file size"? What does that even mean when the file doesn't exist on Unraid yet?

That's a good point, I guess I was incorrectly thinking of files moving in to unriad, but these are moving withing unraid internally, or only semi internal, because they are mostly files created in docker containers.  If rtorrent says it wants to create a file, I guess the size on disk starts at 0kb, but I think the other size is the eventual whole, does unraid know those values?  I thought if it was bigger than available it would choose to write to the array vs cache.  If there is a wiki that explains all of this I'd be happy to study it.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, bobobeastie said:

I thought if it was bigger than available it would choose to write to the array vs cache. 

On 5/23/2020 at 1:43 PM, trurl said:

Unraid has no way to know how large a file will become when it chooses a disk to write. If a disk has less than Minimum, it will choose another. Cache also has a Minimum setting in Global Share Settings.

Greetings,

I have been seeing errors in the plex docker log, and did not immediately see them when searching the forums:

ERROR: The argument for -length must be a positive number
ERROR: Could not open the input file (No such file or directory)

I have been noticing some video "stuttering" during playback (direct play).

is there a way to resolve these errors or are they not any cause for concern?

thanks,

Michael