[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

The server never automagically appeared. As soon as I remove it and install the official unraid one, it's there. Any other thoughts? I'd really like to use the DVR features.

I'm at work so can't check the box right now, however, I have no cache drive installed. Would that file be some other place?

Wherever your appdata is stored.

Ah, gotcha. Any other thoughts I might try when I get home? As I mentioned, I deleted the appdata dir (no biggie, my server isn't terribly populated at the moment) and recreated from scratch. Also, tried removing the docker and recreating with a capital Plex, so it wouldn't touch anything in the previously failed dir.

No, I've already told you my thoughts...

Try that first, then if that doesn't work, we can think again, but I don't have any other ideas tbh.

Having said that, a screenshot of the docker setup might be helpful just to make sure you've got it configured appropriately.

Didn't work. Still unavailable.

been wanting to try the dvr features so i uninstalled unraid's official and gave this one a shot.

everything seems to install fine, but when going to web interface, it will not see itself as a server. my friends servers are there, my cloud sync is there, but no local server. i've removed the docker and reinstalled, changed the appdata dir, deleted the docker .img file and recreated, retried the whole shebang from scratch and nada. every time, same story, no local server.

I just had the same issue after I upgraded regular Plex to Plex Pass.  I went into the web GUI and had to sign in, and it didn't find my local server.  I logged out and back in without doing anything else, and it showed up.  Not sure if you tried doing just that without anything else, but it might be worth a shot.

I've tried logging out, removing the docker, deleting the dir from appdata, reinstalling/logging back in, etc. Just about every combination I can think of in order for plex to think it's "fresh".

I had similar issues a few months ago with finding a local server. It was when I was messing about with different plug in and docker containers, testing the initial setup, then recreating the server in a different docker. Not sure what the cause was, but it seemed to sort itself out. My impression was that plex doesn't like recreating the same server with same name, owner and ip address. It's like it gets confused. I think internally it has a unique id and when there's two instances of the server with same name and ip address but different unique id it just fails to find it.

At times I could find it over wan, but not over lan. Also some pc's found it, eg hard wired into same router, whilst Wi-Fi didn't. It was very strange. It just fixed itself without any intervention from me. I did the management from the interfaces that could see it ie wan or the hard wired PC. Now it's behaved for ages. I assumed that plex forgets servers it hasn't seen for a while and thus sorted out its internal confusion. I'm just guessing. There are plex logs to be looked through, but they didn't add anything to help me at the time. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd. Maybe I just have to play the waiting game on this one? Hmph.

The version string is in thre, i just blurred it out.

Tried shutting down your plex container, logging into plex.tv, deleting old server, clearing browser cache and cookies, then setting up new server?

In that order.

But got to admit I'm shooting in the dark a bit with this one, I'm just assuming that as a different instance of Plex server is appearing on the same host that's what it causing the issue.

I use mythtv as a KVM and there is a channel I have added in plex that allows "almost" live streaming. It allows you to watch anything recorded. So long as you start a recording you can begin streaming it right away so you're only maybe a minute or two behind real time. This is the one limitation with Plex's DVR that I'm sure they'll eventually get to work, but was a "dealbreaker" for me. The only other limitation of the built in Plex DVR is that it only works with one device (2 or 3 tuners) while Myth can tune as many as you have I believe. It's still pretty rough around the edges but works for the most part. This is with 2x HDHomerun Prime's and Cablecards. I've used it in a pinch to watch an NFL game remotely and it was perfect, but I had to VPN into my home LAN, and use Myth's webUI to start the recording first. I don't know of a way to get a guide or start or stop a tuner through plex, yet.

It's also free, and doesn't require either plexpass or a 30$ kickstarter contribution.

Here is a link to the plugin if anyone is interested. I can confirm this works with both windows and the android app.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/86644/rel-mythtv-plug-in/p18

Hello!

Suddenly today my Plex Docker won't play any videos. It loads the dashboard and menus just fine, but it will tell me it can't play the files, the orange circle will circle a couple times, it will act like it is about to start playing the video, the time code will click to 1 second, and then the "play" button overlays over where the video should be. Repeated clicks of the play button do nothing. 

Below is my plex docker log

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We do accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...

#####################################################
# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# plex token found in the preference file #
#####################################################

[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting dbus-daemon
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
6 3000 /config/Library/Application Support

d
dbus[275]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Starting Avahi daemon
Found user 'avahi' (UID 106) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32-rc starting up.
No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Failed to create IPv6 socket, proceeding in IPv4 only mode

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.69.20.
New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.69.20 on eth0.IPv4.
Server startup complete. Host name is Unraid.local. Local service cookie is 3638159876.

DzH4whC.png

I have tried the following:

1. Creating a new preferences.xml

2. Removing the docker and docker image and rebuilding.

3. Rebooting the Unraid Host.

4. Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 on unraid host.

5. I am running Unraid 6.2.1

Pleas Halp!

Thanks CHBMB,

It turns out this was an issue with chrome. I dumped my chrome cache settings, and closed and re-opened the browser and everything is working again.

admittedly i should have done this prior to writing a forum post.

Thanks for your help!

No worries, thanks for reporting back,  I love Chrome, it's my go to browser, but it does seem to trip up with cache issues like this every so often, I've especially noticed it with containers using cherrypy and despite seeing in numerous times it can still take a while for the penny to drop.

I'm having issues with Plex Server crashing about once or twice per day....usually happens when there's a stream going (direct or transcoded, doesn't seem to make a difference). Doesn't happen every time, but like i said at least once per day.

Once i restart the container everything is good again, at least for a while. Anybody else experiencing anything like that? I'm using the plexpass version.

If I look at the logs when it's crashed I see this over and over:

Daemon already running on PID 274

Starting Avahi daemon

Tried shutting down your plex container, logging into plex.tv, deleting old server, clearing browser cache and cookies, then setting up new server?

In that order.

But got to admit I'm shooting in the dark a bit with this one, I'm just assuming that as a different instance of Plex server is appearing on the same host that's what it causing the issue.

Still nothing.  ???

Got a issue

Im trying to mount a remote Storage (network Drive in the loft ) but i can mount it inside the docker using mount -t cifs address/mount mnt/moutpoint -o username=username,password=password,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 but i need to redo that every time the docker starts

is there away to auto mount them inside the docker (i tryed a go script i found out on the forums to mount them inside unraid but it dosnt seem to work

any advice ?

How do you access other servers that hold media in the Plex container. When I try to enter \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX it doesn't map anything. Do I need to setup the server in the container settings first?

Yes.  Add another path to the container.  Something like /OtherServerMedia mapped to /mnt/disks/OTHERSERVER_Media (which is the path that the Unassigned Devices plugin is going to map the SMB share to when you set it up).  Use one of the Slave modes when adding the path to the docker container.  The within Plex tell it to look within /OtherServerMedia for the files in your libraries

width=400http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/squidaz/Untitled_zps9blzdut4.png[/img]

width=400http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/squidaz/Untitled_zps9qn3tylq.png[/img]

How do you access other servers that hold media in the Plex container. When I try to enter \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX it doesn't map anything. Do I need to setup the server in the container settings first?

Yes.  Add another path to the container.  Something like /OtherServerMedia mapped to /mnt/disks/OTHERSERVER_Media (which is the path that the Unassigned Devices plugin is going to map the SMB share to when you set it up).  Use one of the Slave modes when adding the path to the docker container.  The within Plex tell it to look within /OtherServerMedia for the files in your libraries

width=400http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/squidaz/Untitled_zps9blzdut4.png[/img]

width=400http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/squidaz/Untitled_zps9qn3tylq.png[/img]

So do I need to setup Unassigned Devices plugin first or it will do this automatically?

Been using this docker for quite a while without any issues. I tried the Plex DVR Beta by changing the VERSION variable to the string for the DVR version. I just changed it back to latest but I can't seem to get it to update to the current latest plexpass version.  Seem to be stuck on version 1.1.4.2757, despite there being a newer version available. I've also tried specifying the string for the latest version, which didn't work. I've also deleted and recreated the docker using CA but again, it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Not sure if it's related but I spotted this in the docker log:

#######################################################

# Update routine will not run because you havent set #

# the VERSION variable or you opted out of updates. #

# For more information checkout :- #

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex #

Been using this docker for quite a while without any issues. I tried the Plex DVR Beta by changing the VERSION variable to the string for the DVR version. I just changed it back to latest but I can't seem to get it to update to the current latest plexpass version.  Seem to be stuck on version 1.1.4.2757, despite there being a newer version available. I've also tried specifying the string for the latest version, which didn't work. I've also deleted and recreated the docker using CA but again, it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Not sure if it's related but I spotted this in the docker log:

# Update routine will not run because you havent set #

# the VERSION variable or you opted out of updates. #

# For more information checkout :- #

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex #

Doesn't look like you have set the variable for version. Please post the run command for the container.

I think you're right, heres the run command

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -v "/mnt/":"/mnt":rw -v "/mnt/cache/Apps/AppData/Plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex

66398a1d5bac042c0a5296df1cbe36788100161f82a62c7c4d5c49a7acd0714a

The command finished successfully!

I can't see the version variable listed... heres a screenshot of my settings

Screen_Shot_2016-10-22_at_16_02_32.png.6f865459006e7432ba67e1fdbdff0e2f.png