[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I had my cloud sync settings working perfectly (was a fluke), and then I changed something and I can't get it to work now.

I want the cloud and device (eg my phone) temporary sync files that are created by Plex in:

/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sync+

to be really created in

/mnt/user/cloud/Sync+

instead so that I don't unnecessarily create files on my cache drive e.g. xxTB of media files being uploaded to Cloud Sync.  I've set the cloud directory to not use cache to be doubly sure it's not filling up my cache.

I created a symbolic link in mc that seemed to work, but now it doesn't and I can't get it working again.  Can someone help please

I had my cloud sync settings working perfectly (was a fluke), and then I changed something and I can't get it to work now.

I want the cloud and device (eg my phone) temporary sync files that are created by Plex in:

/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sync+

to be really created in

/mnt/user/cloud/Sync+

instead so that I don't unnecessarily create files on my cache drive e.g. xxTB of media files being uploaded to Cloud Sync.  I've set the cloud directory to not use cache to be doubly sure it's not filling up my cache.

I created a symbolic link in mc that seemed to work, but now it doesn't and I can't get it working again.  Can someone help please

latest attempt that failed:

ln -s "/mnt/user/plexsync/Sync+" "/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode"

to be really created in

/mnt/user/cloud/Sync+

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but why not just create a /transcode mapping to whereever you want it to go.  Then, within the Plex settings, go to Server Settings | Transcoder | Advanced Settings and enter /transcode to the transcoder temporary directory.

to be really created in

/mnt/user/cloud/Sync+

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but why not just create a /transcode mapping to whereever you want it to go.  Then, within the Plex settings, go to Server Settings | Transcoder | Advanced Settings and enter /transcode to the transcoder temporary directory.

Unfortunately that setting only deals with foreground transcoding i.e. files that are being watched - it doesn't impact the background transcoding for syncs.

Tried replacing /mnt/user/appdata with /mnt/cache/appdata?

Wondering if fuse to fuse is the issue....  ???

Didn't work unfortunately

ok, cracked it.  Asked on the Plex forums and was told to use a bind mount.  So:

1. stopped plex

2. changed live transcode mapping in plex to /transcode so that foreground transcode files don't go in /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode

3. Created a new Sync+ folder mnt/user/plex sync/Transcode/Sync+

4. Deleted the Sync+ folder /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sync+

5. Created a bind mount

mount --bind "/mnt/user/plex sync/Transcode" "/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode"

6. then added this bind mount to my startup tweaks as it would be lost at reboot

7. restart plex

I've detailed what I've done here in case anyone else is having problems doing a big device sync or a big Cloud Sync job - if you don't do this, all the background transcode sync files are stored on the cache drive until they are synced and not in /transcode which only moves foreground transcode files.  This way allows you to do the background sync on the array and not the smaller cache.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I just noticed that within Plex I can't seem to match some movies like "Pelé Birth of a Legend (2016)" or "Amélie (2001)" due to the characters being changed to "Pel? Birth of a Legend (2016)" or "Am?lie (2001)"

I suspect its unRAID because SSH shows the character hashed out:

Pel? Birth of a Legend (2016)

Anyone know how to fix this?

Probably depends on the character set in force when the folder/file names were created. Try renaming them.

Opps I accidentally removed my post about my character encoding issue. Well I figured it out why the special characters failed. I had mounted an Unraid 5 drive and was copying to Unraid 6 box but realized my mount command was missing this: iocharset=utf-8

This hosed any special charset (éàçöü®......)

Feeling silly for not searching a little harder :-)

Opps I accidentally removed my post about my character encoding issue. Well I figured it out why the special characters failed. I had mounted an Unraid 5 drive and was copying to Unraid 6 box but realized my mount command was missing this: iocharset=utf-8

This hosed any special charset (éàçöü®......)

Feeling silly for not searching a little harder :-)

No worries, we've all done it at some point....

I need to run:

mount --bind "/mnt/user/plex sync/Transcode" "/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode";

before the Plex Docker starts so that my background transcodes are done on my array and not my cache drive.  Where I added it to my config file doesn't work as it's run before the array even starts.  Can someone tell me where's the best place to do this so it's always done before Plex starts please.

Thanks

As a plex pass user I have enabled Plex DVR, im using HDHomerun I got from amazon uk and set up went fine but is there an option to live stream as well as DVR option?

I tried accessing plex through my Samsung Galaxy android 6.0.1 but cant seem to access DVR options what so ever... as I have to VPN into my unraid machine to acess Plex I might return the HDHomeRun unit as I cant seem to get it working outside my network. Correct Ports are open UDP but I dont want to manually use VLC each time either. Was hoping plex would allow you to record and live stream.

As a plex pass user I have enabled Plex DVR, im using HDHomerun I got from amazon uk and set up went fine but is there an option to live stream as well as DVR option?

I tried accessing plex through my Samsung Galaxy android 6.0.1 but cant seem to access DVR options what so ever... as I have to VPN into my unraid machine to acess Plex I might return the HDHomeRun unit as I cant seem to get it working outside my network. Correct Ports are open UDP but I dont want to manually use VLC each time either. Was hoping plex would allow you to record and live stream.

Sounds like a question for plex instead of unRAID, but as far as I know you can only watch recordings for now. Since it is beta functionality maybe more to come.

From the Plex DVR FAQ page: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/226463767-Frequently-Asked-Questions-DVR

What about live TV or time-shifting?

It is not currently possible to watch TV live or time-shift it before the recording has ended. Recordings must complete before they can be viewed. Live TV/time-shifting is an area in which we're interested.

How do I configure and use Plex DVR?

While recorded DVR programs can be viewed from any Plex app, scheduling recordings and DVR configuration can only be performed from within the Plex Web app. You can always access Plex Web at https://plex.tv/web and manage recordings, even when you're away from home.

The Plex DVR functionality is still in Beta.  I fully expect Live TV support at some point (which I likely won't use much anyways). And there are a couple 3rd party plugins you can install in Plex to enable Live TV through a Channel. 

I already owned an HD Homerun device that I was using with the TVHeadend Docker.  I will say that setting up the Plex DVR to record took about 2 minutes total time.  Setting up TVHeadend took forever and not nearly as user friendly.