Screen capture program - Windows

opentoe

Anyone recommend a good screen capture program for Windows? I always used SnagIT by Techsmith which is fantastic, but their pricing model is horrible. I asked them if I wanted to buy the program for my family and they said I would need a license for each computer. Several hundred dollars for a capture program is a little expensive. The built in Windows SNIP IT tool isn't all that great and have been looking for an alternative that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars and actually works when I hit the PRINT SCREEN key. Lots of the free ones I've tried can't capture pop up menus properly and stuff like that. I tried doing this to capture some screen shots for unraid and the capture utility just kept crashing. Not really storage related, and can be removed but maybe could help others trying to capture a screen shot of their unraid screens/menus.

Thanks

Anyone recommend a good screen capture program for Windows? I always used SnagIT by Techsmith which is fantastic, but their pricing model is horrible. I asked them if I wanted to buy the program for my family and they said I would need a license for each computer. Several hundred dollars for a capture program is a little expensive. The built in Windows SNIP IT tool isn't all that great and have been looking for an alternative that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars and actually works when I hit the PRINT SCREEN key. Lots of the free ones I've tried can't capture pop up menus properly and stuff like that. I tried doing this to capture some screen shots for unraid and the capture utility just kept crashing. Not really storage related, and can be removed but maybe could help others trying to capture a screen shot of their unraid screens/menus.

Thanks

Are you just talking a screen shot?  If so, Windows provides a free tool called "Snipping Tool" that could work.

I use Lightshot. They have both a browser plug-in (works on the browser window only) or (as I use) a stand alone app that takes over the Print Screen button and covers the whole desktop. Allows for cropping, re-sizing the area captured, annotation among other things BEFORE saving the finished image.. One I use a LOT is a line tool for making arrows to point at whatever is in the screenie ;)

http://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

free too.

Thanks

Are you just talking a screen shot?  If so, Windows provides a free tool called "Snipping Tool" that could work.

+1

I use this all day long at work and home.

John

Thanks

I did mention about the Windows built in tool in the original post. I have trouble capturing mouse hover menus that pop up and things like that some times. I can get it to work, and then some times it doesn't. Was just curious on what others use for capturing. There were a couple responses that really look good and can't wait to try. I appreciate all the previous suggestions. Lightscreen and Greenshot at the top of my list to give a try.

If you can't capture a screenshot of popup windows, then try making a video!

There are a few programs out there that can record videos of your screen. I can't remember the program I use at work, but here's what I found now, a free utility called ScreenRecorder -- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.03.utilityspotlight2.aspx

Here's a walkthrough for it -- http://www.wikihow.com/Record-Screen-in-Microsoft-Windows-7

If you can't capture a screenshot of popup windows, then try making a video!

There are a few programs out there that can record videos of your screen. I can't remember the program I use at work, but here's what I found now, a free utility called ScreenRecorder -- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.03.utilityspotlight2.aspx

Here's a walkthrough for it -- http://www.wikihow.com/Record-Screen-in-Microsoft-Windows-7

Very ironic you mentioned that utility. I used it just a few months ago to record a users screen for a couple hours to see how they were constantly locking out their active directory account. It worked pretty good. My favorite, SnagIT records video too but trying to slowly steer away from that solution because of their terms and pricing. Thanks!