unRAID 6.2 - Screenshot Dual Parity support

1) It is clearly in BETA (BETA15-WIP) and not ALPHA. I wonder if we will get it when its in BETA15+n? OR I wonder if its BETA15 (Private) and will be released as BETA1 (Public) OR perhaps there will be no Public BETA. Interesting.

We'll get it soon™  ;)

Of course  :)

What I was speculating to was if the release strategy has changed (given it is in BETA15 already) according to the screenshot. Maybe we will get it released and it will be straight into stable?

Like I said - just some speculative fun! :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) It is clearly in BETA (BETA15-WIP) and not ALPHA. I wonder if we will get it when its in BETA15+n? OR I wonder if its BETA15 (Private) and will be released as BETA1 (Public) OR perhaps there will be no Public BETA. Interesting.

We'll get it soon™  ;)

Of course  :)

What I was speculating to was if the release strategy has changed (given it is in BETA15 already) according to the screenshot. Maybe we will get it released and it will be straight into stable?

Like I said - just some speculative fun! :)

I don't think we'll got straight to stable....

I think LT saw an opportunity with Linus to showcase Unraid and they took it.  As far as I'm aware Linus is the only one using that beta, not even some of the real power users on here have access, (bonienl may so he can work on the webgui & I don't know if dmacias is still involved with the KVM management)  So I think we'll need a beta period for us, the great unwashed, to complete testing.

Jonp hinted that it may be before Christmas, that didn't happen.....

Then I speculated that it'd be after the festivities (Who wants to support a new beta over Christmas?)

Then there was CES (How can you support a beta when you're away for a week?)

So I wouldn't be surprised if it's not too far away....

Of course how you define "Not too far away" is very much open to debate...  ;D

... Of course how you define "Not too far away" is very much open to debate...  ;D

:) :)    ... kinda like trying to define "soon" in UnRAID speak  8)

I think a lot of LT's attention to mundane things like dual parity was diverted to helping with the "7 Gamers on One PC" project ==> now that CES is over, perhaps that attention will be re-focused on finishing and VERY thoroughly testing the dual parity implementation.

It's always a good thing to have exposure at CES.

As of now I heard soon only from the forum users. So I  "amuse" it will be double soon in LT timing :)

Not a complain just trying to the fill the time between now and soon :)

Now to go back and fit the second parity drive in my main server and attach a bigger display (current one is a 6.5" VGA) in anticipation of the new GUI.

... Of course how you define "Not too far away" is very much open to debate...  ;D

I think a lot of LT's attention to mundane things like dual parity was diverted to helping with the "7 Gamers on One PC" project ==> now that CES is over, perhaps that attention will be re-focused on finishing and VERY thoroughly testing the dual parity implementation.

Just an FYI, I was the only one from LT working on the 7 gamers project with Linus. Developer time was not spent supporting that effort directly as it was not necessary.

The main reason for the delay with 6.2 has been a combination of feature creep, testing, and family time over the holidays.  We are crazy close, but again, won't commit to a timetable for release.

Just an FYI, I was the only one from LT working on the 7 gamers project with Linus. Developer time was not spent supporting that effort directly as it was not necessary.

The main reason for the delay with 6.2 has been a combination of feature creep, testing, and family time over the holidays.  We are crazy close, but again, won't commit to a timetable for release.

I wasn't having a dig Jon. We know it'll be here soon...  ;)

... I wasn't having a dig Jon. We know it'll be here soon...  ;)

Agree.    Of course we also know that "soon" can be a very variable timeframe  :)

HOWEVER ... with regards to your comment :

...The main reason for the delay with 6.2 has been a combination of feature creep, testing, and family time over the holidays.  We are crazy close, but again, won't commit to a timetable for release.

...you guys certainly deserved a lot of family time over the holiday period; and I suspect the exposure at CES was worth whatever effort you had to put it to assist in that.

Feature creep is always a danger ... but I'd MUCH rather see you take plenty of time to VERY thoroughly test the dual parity implementation than for one of us to find some major issue with it !!!

By the way, I (and I suspect quite a few others) would really like to see a 6.1.7 release that incorporates the bug fixes and tweaks that have been incorporated in the GUI but not yet released.    Either that, or de-couple the UnRAID release from the GUI updates.

... I wasn't having a dig Jon. We know it'll be here soon...  ;)

Agree.    Of course we also know that "soon" can be a very variable timeframe  :)

HOWEVER ... with regards to your comment :

...The main reason for the delay with 6.2 has been a combination of feature creep, testing, and family time over the holidays.  We are crazy close, but again, won't commit to a timetable for release.

...you guys certainly deserved a lot of family time over the holiday period; and I suspect the exposure at CES was worth whatever effort you had to put it to assist in that.

Feature creep is always a danger ... but I'd MUCH rather see you take plenty of time to VERY thoroughly test the dual parity implementation than for one of us to find some major issue with it !!!

By the way, I (and I suspect quite a few others) would really like to see a 6.1.7 release that incorporates the bug fixes and tweaks that have been incorporated in the GUI but not yet released.    Either that, or de-couple the UnRAID release from the GUI updates.

With respect to dual parity testing, we implemented dual parity in the first 6.2 internal beta before October. It has been rigorously tested on all the hardware we have and with various failure scenarios. There is only one thing that hasn't been completed yet (swap disable), but that has nothing to do with the integrity of the parity devices. We still need a wider audience to help test it with a wider variance of hardware, but I can assure you we have done our due diligence in thoroughly testing dual parity in our own systems.

We still need a wider audience to help test it with a wider variance of hardware, but I can assure you we have done our due diligence in thoroughly testing dual parity in our own systems.

We can't really ask for more than that.  I am more than happy to be part of that wider audience.... Definitely qualified, I'm a fair bit wider nowadays than when I first started using Unraid..  ;D

@jonp, Id be happy to test the VM aspects of 6.2 if you need any BETA testers :)

I would volunteer too to test a beta, if I was found worthy  8)

If LT DO that and select BETA testers I hope you have a good backup of your data and don't make such an offer blind!. I am sure it would come with no guarantees for the security of your data!!!

Given it will eventually get to the public I have setup a test rig I am trying to get some small 160GB disks for so I can stress test the crap out of the new 6.2 with n parity with rebuild after rebuild after rebuild before I put it on either of my Main or Backup Servers!!

@jonp, Id be happy to test the VM aspects of 6.2 if you need any BETA testers :)

I would volunteer too to test a beta, if I was found worthy  8)

If LT DO that and select BETA testers I hope you have a good backup of your data and don't make such an offer blind!. I am sure it would come with no guarantees for the security of your data!!!

Given it will eventually get to the public I have setup a test rig I am trying to get some small 160GB disks for so I can stress test the crap out of the new 6.2 with n parity with rebuild after rebuild after rebuild before I put it on either of my Main or Backup Servers!!

This isn't my first rodeo! :)

So, does that mean you would get - with a 5 TB and a 6 TB, an 11TB parity drive? You could then add, say, an 8 TB data drive...even though neither of your actual parity drives are 8TB?

No.

That means with a 5tb and 6tb drive as parity you have 5tbs of dual parity protection.

The moment you add a drive larger than 5tb it will then have to become one of the parity drives.

This isn't my first rodeo! :)

Mine neither, and just while I'm here... Mark you got any pictures of your Ikea side table case?  I'm intrigued....  ;D

I did a thread a bit ago, but it didnt get much attention. people must think im strange!! imgur album is here:http://imgur.com/a/cMU6T

Its still going strong, and no heat or dust issues at all so far.

I want to upgrade to a dual E5 Xeon setup at some point and will probably do the same sort of thing again with that...

So, does that mean you would get - with a 5 TB and a 6 TB, an 11TB parity drive? You could then add, say, an 8 TB data drive...even though neither of your actual parity drives are 8TB?

No.

That means with a 5tb and 6tb drive as parity you have 5tbs of dual parity protection.

The moment you add a drive larger than 5tb it will then have to become one of the parity drives.

Thanks, BRiT, I didn't think it would work that way...but it's nice to be sure!