[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

1 hour ago, manofoz said:

Hello!

I just migrated from binhex-sabnzbd to binhex-sabnzbdvpn and download speeds are 1000x less, dropped from around  500 Mpbs to 500 Kpbs. I am using Pravado VPP's OpenVPN configs. 

Also, these warnings stated popping up when I switched versions:

API key incorrect, Use the API key from Config->General in your 3rd party program: 192.168.0.129 [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Safari/537.36]

I could use a pointer to help figure out what is causing the bottle neck. I don't see anything in Pravado about throttling speed like this. 

Thanks! 

Switched to mullvad vpn and configured it for wiregaurd and it's fast again! Also the warnings went away which was a nice bonus.

11 hours ago, ZanR7 said:

it's 20/09/23 i've just did a update to the container that appeared today and now sabvpn it not starting i've tried rolling back on snapshot and have removed it and installed it again fresh and it still does not work any thoughs

do this:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

14 minutes ago, ZanR7 said:

ok there was another update to the sabvpn not sure if that was you like 20 mins but what ever the update was it fixed the issue and it's work again cheers

Yeah there was a bug in the upstream tarball (missing path), glad its working for you now, it may fix your mates container too, get him to pull latest.

• 3 weeks later...

supervisord.log

Hi Binhex, 

I'm having an issue with warnings of timeout connections using ProtonVPN with Sabnzbvpn. It looks like the below: 

WARNING 4 minutes ago Failed to connect: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor news.eweka.nl:563 (81.171.92.219)
WARNING 4 minutes ago Failed to connect: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor news.eweka.nl:563 (81.171.92.219)
WARNING 4 minutes ago Failed to connect: timed out news.eweka.nl:563 (81.171.92.219)

Although the above is Eweka, it appears to happen with connections to all of my other backup providers as well - it seems to depend on if it is actively being used/connected to. Sabnzb and my downloads appear to continue downloading even after this error shows up. 

Prior to using ProtonVPN, I have used Mullvad in this same container flawlessly. I am currently using ProtonVPN in your qBittorrent container also without issue. 

I have switched ports on the providers from 443 to 563, switched from Wireguard back to openvpn, added 8.8.8.8 to the name server - all result in the same error. The only thing that fixes these warnings is switching back to Mullvad, so it seems to be specific to ProtonVPN. 

My redacted debug log is attached. Any ideas on how I can make ProtonVPN work?

Thanks!

Edited by SaltyKram
  • Like 1

does anyone else have issues with local name resolution?

I have network for my 'Arr docker containers & SAB (all bridge mode).  I can ping my sabnzbvpn container from the other containers by name and IP address, and everything is working fine from the 'Arr applications when I point them to the IP address of the SAB container, but I cannot use the name of the container or the container ID, as when I try all of the 'Arr apps fail to connect.

Im a bit lost as why they fail to connect via name when the container they are on can

From the readarr container

sh-5.1# ping sabnzbdvpn.dockernet
PING sabnzbdvpn.dockernet (172.18.0.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from sabnzbdvpn.dockernet (172.18.0.6): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.

from the readarr app

Test was aborted due to an error: Unable to connect to SABnzbd, HTTP request failed: [403:Forbidden] [GET] at [http://sabnzbdvpn.dockernet:8080/api?

ok...either the newsgroups I use (drunkenslug and nzbget) are down...or I can't connect to them thru port 563...either behind my OpenWRT router or thru ExpressVPN and OpenVPN connect...I know I am connecting (per the logs saying it's connecting to ExpressVPN Dallas servers) but cannot get it SABnzbd to authenticate to the servers when I add the server to download

[Errno 111] timed out

I am using port 563 and SSL in the server option..but it will just not connect

This is killing me...I have been beating my head on a rock for a week and still can't make headway...

19 minutes ago, WarHawk8080 said:

ok...either the newsgroups I use (drunkenslug and nzbget) are down

ok a lot wrong with this sentence, firstly drunkenslug is not a newsgroup, its a usenet indexer, indexing content posted to usenet and turning indexed binaries into nzb files that you then download, secondly nzbget is an application not a 'newsgroup', so yeah confusion abounds here.

21 minutes ago, WarHawk8080 said:

.or I can't connect to them thru port 563

why are you trying to connect to drunkenslug using port 563?, i would assume you would be connecting to it via HTTPS, so port 443 or port 80 if HTTP.

If you want to automate downloads then use something like sonarr for tv or radarr for movies and point that at drunkenslug, or better yet use prowlarr and let it handle this side of things for you.

If you aren't fussed about automation then simply go to drunkenslug using your web browser, login, search and download the nzb file and upload to sabnzbd  via the sabnzbd web ui.

Ok...so who do I use to download then, yeah..nzbgeek...not nzbget...doh
Sorry my brain is on fire from trying over and over and over to get 

Aaaand...I figured out...I use newsgroup.ninja as my downloader...which I HAVE NOT BEEN USING!
I am an asstard...pay no attention to the dumb whiteguy that is drooling on his keyboard at the moment

hopeless-disappointed.gif.193e4927dc50c031ef128f1eceb326ce.gif

1 minute ago, WarHawk8080 said:

Ok...so who do I use to download then, yeah..nzbgeek...not nzbget...doh
Sorry my brain is on fire from trying over and over and over to get 

Aaaand...I figured out...I use newsgroup.ninja as my downloader...which I HAVE NOT BEEN USING!
I am an asstard...pay no attention to the dumb whiteguy that is drooling on his keyboard at the moment

hopeless-disappointed.gif.193e4927dc50c031ef128f1eceb326ce.gif

lol we all have to learn at the begining :-), ok to review, you need 3 things to download sucessfully from usenet:-

1. a usenet provider - this is your connection to usenet, without this you cannot download anything, newsgroup ninja is one, there are many!
  2. a usenet indexer - this indexes the content on usenet and turns it into handy nzb files that the download client then uses to download from usenet (via your usenet provider - see 1.), drunkenslug is one, there are many!.
  3. a usenet client - this is the client that will take the downloaded nzb file and then connect and download binaries from usenet (via the usenet provider), sabnzbd and nzbget are two very popular ones.

if you want to automate downloads the look into sonarr and radarr - not going into these now.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 10:24 PM, hwextreme said:

does anyone else have issues with local name resolution?

I have network for my 'Arr docker containers & SAB (all bridge mode).  I can ping my sabnzbvpn container from the other containers by name and IP address, and everything is working fine from the 'Arr applications when I point them to the IP address of the SAB container, but I cannot use the name of the container or the container ID, as when I try all of the 'Arr apps fail to connect.

Im a bit lost as why they fail to connect via name when the container they are on can

From the readarr container

sh-5.1# ping sabnzbdvpn.dockernet
PING sabnzbdvpn.dockernet (172.18.0.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from sabnzbdvpn.dockernet (172.18.0.6): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.

from the readarr app

Test was aborted due to an error: Unable to connect to SABnzbd, HTTP request failed: [403:Forbidden] [GET] at [http://sabnzbdvpn.dockernet:8080/api?

Have pretty much the same but cannot ping the container at all. They are on the same docker network other container can ping themself without problem. The on thing I found out is if I disable the vpn I can ping the container just fine. Since Iam using a VPS there is no lan_network so not realy sure what to enter here "LAN_NETWORK".

Tested it on my local machine with radarr and sabnzbvpn they can ping each other just fine. Dunno where Iam wrong.

Help is appreciated.

Edited by MEnVaNic
4 hours ago, MEnVaNic said:

Have pretty much the same but cannot ping the container at all. They are on the same docker network other container can ping themself without problem. The on thing I found out is if I disable the vpn I can ping the container just fine. Since Iam using a VPS there is no lan_network so not realy sure what to enter here "LAN_NETWORK".

Tested it on my local machine with radarr and sabnzbvpn they can ping each other just fine. Dunno where Iam wrong.

Help is appreciated.

Got it fixed. The container uses the first network it find or is connected to. Hat to used 2. Changed it back to one and everything can connect again.

Happy Halloween!  Hope all has been good with you.

I recently upgraded my ISP to 1G symmetrical fiber.  Like a little kid waiting for Christmas, I could not wait to try out my new blazing speed.  Spent the last week making the last configuration changes to the home network, and all is working as I wish - Unraid server speed tests all in the 1000/1000 Mb/s range, be it from docker or VM.  Same for my daily driver desktop.

But noticed I really didn't see a speed increase from this SABnzbdVPN docker.  VPN provider is PIA.  Test from the app itself reports ~19 MB/S (152 Mbps) and downloads track about the same speed.  Speed tests, via VPN to the same server, are ~500 Mbps from my desktop and ~400 Mbps from the VM (Win11) on the server.

I was looking through your VPN Docker FAQ and tried what you suggested in Q6.  Either I don't follow directions well, or maybe the info in the FAQ is outdated?  I added the following to the .ovpn file (replacing the existing cipher and auth entries):

cipher aes-128-gcm 
auth sh**A256 
ncp-disable

(note: It doesn't format into separate lines in the FAQ)

The docker started, but did not see any change in speed.  But did note this in my log, regarding cipher being deprecated.

2023-10-31 11:20:53 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'aes-128-gcm' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:CHACHA20-POLY1305). OpenVPN ignores --cipher for cipher negotiations. 

Curious if I did something wrong here, and any other suggestions you may have.  It would be great to get some more speed out of SABnzbd.

Another quick question - To disable VPN, shouldn't I just need to set VPN_ENABLED to no in the Docker template?  I tried it once for troubleshooting, but had issues restarting.

As always, thanks for your guidance and the great packages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Ganzuelo said:

Hi all, 

Do i need to configure this container's input/output ports for my usenet provider's SSL certs? 

Example: Should I be adding 563 to VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS?

in a word, no, VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS is not used for that purpose, see the guide:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/guides/vpn.md

you do not need to open any additional outbound ports, all outbound connections are permitted via the vpn connection.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently changed the fixed IP address that unraid is using to allow me to move it outside of the DCHP range.

I've changed the proxy settings in radarr/sonarr to use the new unraid ip address:8118, and they can connect to the indexers again.

But SAB can't connect to the downloader servers. Clicking the spanner in Sab, I see this:

Local IPv4 address  10.27.4.254

Public IPv4 address  Connection failed!

IPv6 address  None

Nameserver / DNS Lookup  OK

Not sure what to do, I can't see a proxy setting in Sab to force the use of privoxy. Any idea?