[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

On 8/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, binhex said:

this doesn't come into play as we are talking about a usenet client here not torrents, all code to determine the incoming port is disabled for this image.

your log is clean, showing no issues, so i can only assume that your new ISP (and thus new router perhaps?) is issuing leases on a different network range, can you confirm the ip address of your unraid server is in the range 192.168.1.0/24

Was there an update recently?

It seems to be working properly again and I haven't changed anything.

Summary: Fetching NZB from URL works only with internal docker container IP, not with real host IP

Description:

Some content management application M only send references to NZBs to the downloader as an URL so that the NZB must be fetched by the downloader itself.

Imagine that the NZB URL points to NZBhydra2 as meta indexer X running in a docker container A on the same host H where SABnzb is also running in a docker container B. As a result M (running in docker container C on H) wants SABnzb in B to fetch the NZB from X in A.

The containers A, B, C run in their vanilla setting as downloaded (Bridge mode), just the pathes were set properly.

Container A is the linuxserver container with NZBhydra2.

Container B is the binhex container with SABnzbd, OpenVPN and Privoxy.

Observation: Depending on how X (NZBhydra2) is referenced in the URL, SABnzbd will be able to fetch the NZB or it will time out, and this can be verify using curl in the container terminal session

What works:

(1) internal IP of container A running NZBhydra / curl 172.17.0.x:5076 works

What does not work

(2) external IP of container A running NZBhydra, i.e. real IP of host H / curl "local IP":5076 -> connection refused

(3) local DNS name of H / curl "local dns name":5076 -> Could not resolve host

Thoughts:

(1) should NOT work, since this IP may change and applications external to the container should always use the real IP address or DNS name of H, could be that OpenVPN treats the container-internal IPs as on the same network and not to be forwarded through the VPN tunnel?

(2) should actually work, could this have to do with OpenVPN, sending traffic for IP of H through the VPN tunnel and nothing answering there? Why would it consider its won hosts real IP address to be on the internet and not on the own end of the tunnel?

(3) reason: if using the binhex SABnzbd-VPN container, within the container local DNS names cannot be resolved because all DNS traffic is sent to the DNS server on the other end of the VPN tunnel

My questions (decreasing priority):

-How can I make (3) work? probably some proper setting for OpenVPN for name resolution? which?

-Why does (2) not work and how can I make (2) work?

-Why does (1) work and how can I prevent container-external processes to access container-internal IPs?

Thank you for your tme and effort!

Edited by b0m541
additional details
  • 1 month later...

Need help. I am new to unraid and want to setup my vpn info but lost on how. I am using vyprvpn service.

I have

VPN_ENABLED = yes

VPN_USER = ***** (My VPN login Name)

VPN_PASS = ***** (My VPN login Pass)

VPN_PROV = custom (Since its not PIA or AirVPN)

VPN_OPTIONS = blank

I have put my ovpn file into the openvpn folder it created.

But when I try and connect to the GUI it never works, but if I disable the VPN it does. how can/ where can I pull a log.

Edited by almulder
Need help. I am new to unraid and want to setup my vpn info but lost on how. I am using vyprvpn service.
I have
VPN_ENABLED = yes
VPN_USER = ***** (My VPN login Name)
VPN_PASS = ***** (My VPN login Pass)
VPN_PROV = custom (Since its not PIA or AirVPN)
VPN_OPTIONS = blank

I have put my ovpn file into the openvpn folder it created.

But when I try and connect to the GUI it never works, but if I disable the VPN it does. how can/ where can I pull a log.
Follow the guide here:-
https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/guides/vpn.md

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

First, as always Binhex, thank you for doing this for us!

I've been beating my head against the wall. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

The moment i disable the VPN, it starts working... but then again... no VPN :(

I have swapped my network to a full unifi network, but that shouldnt be the cause : 

I am able to connect to the VPN but unable to load up the GUI for sabnzb. Attached is my debug enabled log : 

https://pastebin.com/i9JrSE5Y

Edited by denellum
24 minutes ago, denellum said:

First, as always Binhex, thank you for doing this for us!

I've been beating my head against the wall. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

The moment i disable the VPN, it starts working... but then again... no VPN :(

I have swapped my network to a full unifi network, but that shouldnt be the cause : 

I am able to connect to the VPN but unable to load up the GUI for sabnzb. Attached is my debug enabled log : 

https://pastebin.com/i9JrSE5Y

nothing obviously wrong there, you sure this is correct?:-

2019-10-11 10:20:04.904522 [info] LAN_NETWORK defined as '10.10.40.0/24'

what is your servers ip address and subnet mask?

22 minutes ago, binhex said:

It may well have the ability to traverse but iptables will block until you add that network to lan_network. Add it to the existing with a comma to separate.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

OMG, THAT DID IT! Thank you!!!!! Donation coming in after work today :)

• Like 1