$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

I have a question about VM's using 2 of these. I want to use unraid as a NAS, plex server and then I just want to run windows 10 like a regular PC. Does plex have to be set up as a separate VM? If not, can I assign 28 threads to Windows machine along with most of the ram (I have 64gb)? How much ram should I leave for unraid? Also, if later I want to let plex do more streams, do I just reconfigure the windows VM with say 24 cores? There is probably a different place to ask this, but I figure that people here might have a little more insight into this issue. Thanks.

Why not run Plex as a docker?

I have a question about VM's using 2 of these. I want to use unraid as a NAS, plex server and then I just want to run windows 10 like a regular PC. Does plex have to be set up as a separate VM? If not, can I assign 28 threads to Windows machine along with most of the ram (I have 64gb)? How much ram should I leave for unraid? Also, if later I want to let plex do more streams, do I just reconfigure the windows VM with say 24 cores? There is probably a different place to ask this, but I figure that people here might have a little more insight into this issue. Thanks.

I gave my Plex docker 10 cores, and 4 of those are shared with Sab, sickrage, CP, headphones. I have had 6 simultaneous transcoding streams running smooth as butter with those cores.... You serving up some Netflix style crowds with that many dedicated cores? The RAM is also substantially overkill, even if you go the VM route with a windows host.

I would recommend you go the docker route though.

I gave my Plex docker 10 cores, and 4 of those are shared with Sab, sickrage, CP, headphones. I have had 6 simultaneous transcoding streams running smooth as butter with those cores.... You serving up some Netflix style crowds with that many dedicated cores? The RAM is also substantially overkill, even if you go the VM route with a windows host.

I would recommend you go the docker route though.

The ram was just a good deal. I want to give most of my cores and ram to the windows VM which I will use for other things. I wanted to give plex the minimum number of cores and ram for 2 streams now and possibly add more if needed. I'm not sure how dockers work and how many cores unraid itself needs. I guess I'll wait until I set up unraid before I ask anything that might be answered once I configure it. I am just waiting on some HD and SSDs. My current setup only has a 1tb ssd with just windows 10 installed. I had to run something while I wait for storage. Thanks.

i have my dual beastie built and testing hard. Will post photos very soon after work. Changed from a server hot swap to a workstation instead.

My question:  using these xeons on the asrock board  . 

Using  Internet Friendly Media Coder, in only seeing 30-50% cpu usuage on the win7 VM ive created.

handbrake on the same VM is performing the same.  Im i bottlenecking it somewhere?

Any theories?

Have 64gb ram install on the blue dimm slots only. Thought it might be a dual channel issue.

I want to set up the IP address on the Intel S2600CP for IPMI access.  I just have the base board without the RMM4 expansion modules and dedicated IPMI lan ports.

I have used the Supermicro ipmicfg on my Supermicro boards to set their static ip addresses.  What is the equivalent for the Intel boards?

Once set, I will use ipmitool from one server to access another server's IPMI and power it up as follows:

ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.95 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN chassis power on

I want to set up the IP address on the Intel S2600CP for IPMI access.  I just have the base board without the RMM4 expansion modules and dedicated IPMI lan ports.

I have used the Supermicro ipmicfg on my Supermicro boards to set their static ip addresses.  What is the equivalent for the Intel boards?

Once set, I will use ipmitool from one server to access another server's IPMI and power it up as follows:

ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.95 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN chassis power on

In the S2600CP, you can easily set the BMC IPv4 static IP address via the BIOS settings.

I got a new board. Opted for the ASRock Rack EP2C602 which looks like the 4L/D16 with the exception of 8 DIMM slots versus 16 DIMMs. Anyways I installed everything and I am able to POST and get to my unRaid OS but for some reason during POST the Intel SAS cards are not finding the drives. The message I receive is "Adapter Disabled By User". Any thoughts on this? It was working perfectly fine in my i5 rig.

I'll post pictures of my success once I have the last bit finished.

In the S2600CP, you can easily set the BMC IPv4 static IP address via the BIOS settings.

OK, done

Baseband IP  Setup
IP: 192.168.3.91 
subnet:  0.0.0.0 
gateway: 0.0.0.0
user:  anonymous
password: 0000 

From another unRaid 6.1.9 computer on the LAN, we try:
root@Tower:/boot# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.91 -U anonymous -P 0000 chassis power status

Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Unable to get Chassis Power Status

Almost there, but still no go.  There are so many settings in the bios for the BMC.  I hope that setting the baseband ip address was correct.  Don't know why, but it won't let me save a change to the gateway ip address. 

What am I doing wrong?

OK, done

Baseband IP  Setup
IP: 192.168.3.91 
subnet:  0.0.0.0 
gateway: 0.0.0.0
user:  anonymous
password: 0000 

From another unRaid 6.1.9 computer on the LAN, we try:
root@Tower:/boot# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.91 -U anonymous -P 0000 chassis power status

Almost there, but still no go.  There are so many settings in the bios for the BMC.  I hope that setting the baseband ip address was correct.  Don't know why, but it won't let me save a change to the gateway ip address. 

What am I doing wrong?

You also have to set the subnet.

I can get the subnet change, so I tried both of these, but the gateway always goes back to 0.0.0.0 no matter what I do

And I still get the same result either way.  Do you only have to set up the baseband IP and not the RMM4 sections?  I haven't got the RMM4 key or additional dedicated nic port.

I can get the subnet change, so I tried both of these, but the gateway always goes back to 0.0.0.0 no matter what I do

And I still get the same result either way.  Do you only have to set up the baseband IP and not the RMM4 sections?  I haven't got the RMM4 key or additional dedicated nic port.

I don't have that MB, so can't say.

But the subnet you have is most likely 255.255.255.0 and the gateway, based on the IP you set, is 192.168.3.1. The gateway is usually your router.

I tried again, and using a subnet of 255.255.255.0 suddenly I can get the gateway to stick.  Yes my router is 192.168.3.1 and that is what I have it set to. 

Directing ipmitool to this Intel S2600CP motherboard results in

root@Tower:/boot# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.91 -U anonymous -P abcd chassis power status

Directing ipmitool to one of my Supermicro systems (X7DBE or X9SCM) results in

root@Tower:/boot# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.94 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN chassis power status
Chassis Power is on

Bios on this S2600CP is still SE5C600.86B.01.02.003 from 2/28/2012

Don't know if anyone's interested but I got curious, and decided to see how easy it would be to get my RAM to DDR3-1600..

Answer: Exceptionally Easy.

Basically just go into BiOS and set the Memory Speed from Auto to DDR3-1600.  Done.

This is on the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 Board, but I image it would be quite similar on the others.  Tested with 128GB of the Micron RAM from eBay as well as 128GB Nanya from NATEX.

I tried again, and using a subnet of 255.255.255.0 suddenly I can get the gateway to stick.  Yes my router is 192.168.3.1 and that is what I have it set to. 

Directing ipmitool to this Intel S2600CP motherboard results in

root@Tower:/boot# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.91 -U anonymous -P abcd chassis power status

Directing ipmitool to one of my Supermicro systems (X7DBE or X9SCM) results in

root@Tower:/boot# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.94 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN chassis power status
Chassis Power is on

Bios on this S2600CP is still SE5C600.86B.01.02.003 from 2/28/2012

I setup the BMC static IP address via the BIOS Settings -> System Management -> BMC Configuration.  There, I also setup and enable the 'root' account with a password.

After that's complete, you can navigate via HTTP to the BMC Web console, and hit with ipmitool:

george@ubuntuvm1:~$ ipmitool -I lan -H nas1-ipmi -U root lan print 3
Password: 
Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : MD5 PASSWORD 
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : User     : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : Operator : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : Admin    : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : OEM      : 
IP Address Source       : Static Address
IP Address              : 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address             : 00:1e:67:45:d8:53
SNMP Community String   : public
IP Header               : TTL=0x00 Flags=0x00 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x00
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 0.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 192.168.0.1
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 0,1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,17,18
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : caaaXaaaXaaXXaa
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM

and

george@ubuntuvm1:~$ ipmitool -I lan -H nas1-ipmi -U root sdr elist full
Password: 
System Airflow   | 11h | ok  | 23.2 | 88 CFM
BB EDGE Temp     | 20h | ok  |  7.1 | 23 degrees C
Front Panel Temp | 21h | ok  | 64.1 | 19 degrees C
SSB Temp         | 22h | ok  |  7.1 | 43 degrees C
BB BMC Temp      | 23h | ok  |  7.1 | 39 degrees C
BB P2 VR Temp    | 24h | ok  |  7.1 | 36 degrees C
BB MEM VR Temp   | 25h | ok  |  7.1 | 32 degrees C
HSBP 1 Temp      | 29h | ok  | 15.1 | 21 degrees C
Exit Air Temp    | 2Eh | ok  |  7.1 | 23 degrees C
LAN NIC Temp     | 2Fh | ok  |  7.1 | 48 degrees C
System Fan 1     | 30h | ok  | 29.2 | 1540 RPM
System Fan 2     | 31h | ok  | 29.3 | 1220 RPM
PS1 Power In     | 54h | ok  | 10.1 | 200 Watts
PS2 Power In     | 55h | ok  | 10.2 | 4 Watts
PS1 Curr Out %   | 58h | ok  | 10.1 | 24 percent
PS2 Curr Out %   | 59h | ok  | 10.2 | 0 percent
PS1 Temperature  | 5Ch | ok  | 10.1 | 33 degrees C
PS2 Temperature  | 5Dh | ok  | 10.2 | 28 degrees C
P1 Therm Margin  | 74h | ok  |  3.1 | -46 degrees C
P2 Therm Margin  | 75h | ok  |  3.2 | -55 degrees C
P1 Therm Ctrl %  | 78h | ok  |  3.1 | 0 percent
P2 Therm Ctrl %  | 79h | ok  |  3.2 | 0 percent
P1 DTS Therm Mgn | 83h | ok  |  3.1 | -46 degrees C
P2 DTS Therm Mgn | 84h | ok  |  3.2 | -55 degrees C
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 1 | B0h | ok  |  7.1 | -44 degrees C
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 2 | B1h | ok  |  7.1 | -49 degrees C
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 3 | B2h | ok  |  7.1 | -45 degrees C
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 4 | B3h | ok  |  7.1 | -44 degrees C
Agg Thrm Mgn 1   | C8h | ok  |  7.1 | -30 degrees C
Agg Thrm Mgn 2   | C9h | ok  |  7.1 | -22 degrees C
BB +12.0V        | D0h | ok  |  7.1 | 11.88 Volts
BB +5.0V         | D1h | ok  |  7.1 | 5.00 Volts
BB +3.3V         | D2h | ok  |  7.1 | 3.35 Volts
BB +5.0V STBY    | D3h | ok  |  7.1 | 4.92 Volts
BB +3.3V AUX     | D4h | ok  |  7.1 | 3.28 Volts
BB +1.05V P1Vccp | D6h | ok  |  7.1 | 1.09 Volts
BB +1.05V P2Vccp | D7h | ok  |  7.1 | 1.11 Volts
BB +1.5 P1DDR AB | D8h | ns  |  7.1 | Disabled
BB +1.5 P1DDR CD | D9h | ns  |  7.1 | Disabled
BB +1.5 P2DDR AB | DAh | ns  |  7.1 | Disabled
BB +1.5 P2DDR CD | DBh | ns  |  7.1 | Disabled
BB +1.8V AUX     | DCh | ok  |  7.1 | 1.78 Volts
BB +1.1V STBY    | DDh | ok  |  7.1 | 1.07 Volts
BB VBAT          | DEh | ok  |  7.1 | 3.09 Volts
BB +1.35 P1LV AB | E4h | ok  |  7.1 | 1.34 Volts
BB +1.35 P1LV CD | E5h | ok  |  7.1 | 1.35 Volts
BB +1.35 P2LV AB | E6h | ok  |  7.1 | 1.35 Volts
BB +1.35 P2LV CD | E7h | ok  |  7.1 | 1.35 Volts
P1 MTT           | 34h | ok  |  3.1 | 0 percent
P2 MTT           | 35h | ok  |  3.2 | 0 percent

I setup the BMC static IP address via the BIOS Settings -> System Management -> BMC Configuration.  There, I also setup and enable the 'root' account with a password.

After that's complete, you can navigate via HTTP to the BMC Web console, and hit with ipmitool:

Yep, that exactly what I did.  Only difference between your system and mine is that I don't have the RMM4 module, I haven't updated the bios, and I am not in an Intel case.  I only have one Ethernet cable plugged into the back of the S2600CP motherboard.

I cannot access the ipmi via html from a browser (it times out), and I cannot access it via ipmitool from the local machine, or from another unRaid box on the same lan.

Yep, that exactly what I did.  Only difference between your system and mine is that I don't have the RMM4 module, I haven't updated the bios, and I am not in an Intel case.  I only have one Ethernet cable plugged into the back of the S2600CP motherboard.

I cannot access the ipmi via html from a browser (it times out), and I cannot access it via ipmitool from the local machine, or from another unRaid box on the same lan.

...fair enough... Here's the lan setup from my 2nd S2600CP (no RMM4LITE module, only 1 NIC connected so the IPMI is sharing NIC1):

eorge@ubuntuvm1:~$ ipmitool -I lan -H nas2-ipmi -U root lan print 1
Password: 
Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : MD5 PASSWORD 
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : User     : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : Operator : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : Admin    : MD5 PASSWORD 
                        : OEM      : 
IP Address Source       : Static Address
IP Address              : 192.168.0.12
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address             : 00:1e:67:97:cf:69
SNMP Community String   : public
IP Header               : TTL=0x00 Flags=0x00 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x00
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 0.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 192.168.0.1
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 0,1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,17,18
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : caaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM

So, first thing I'd suggest that you do, is update the BIOS and BMC firmware.  2nd, confirm if you can ping the IP address that you are statically assigning (from a remote system).  I bet you have a simple network setting misconfiguration.  If you cannot ping the ipmi IP, then you obviously won't be able to do anything else with it.

So I decided to scrap my original shopping list and go with these xeons.

Originally I was going to use the AsRock EP2C602-4L/D16 board but then I followed the link to the Natex site and found that they have complete combos for sale

http://www.natex.us/product-p/intel-s2600cp2j-128gb.htm

What-- if anything-- would I be losing out on if I went with the Intel S2600CP over the AsRock?

Originally I was going to use the AsRock EP2C602-4L/D16 board but then I followed the link to the Natex site and found that they have complete combos for sale

What-- if anything-- would I be losing out on if I went with the Intel S2600CP over the AsRock?

I was in a similar boat...opted for the Natex combo.  More native Sata III ports on the MB and USB3.0 were the only things I could find were a compromise (not sure if that's the case with the EP2C602 or not).  My combo should arrive mid week. No idea what version of bios it will have plus I grabbed two Intel SAS cards that I know I have to flash to IT/IR.  If you go the Natex route keep me posted!

That's a great deal. The 2 cpus and 128 gb of ram was more than $450 the way I bought them. You are basically getting a free mb.

I was in a similar boat...opted for the Natex combo.  More native Sata III ports on the MB and USB3.0 were the only things I could find were a compromise (not sure if that's the case with the EP2C602 or not).  My combo should arrive mid week. No idea what version of bios it will have plus I grabbed two Intel SAS cards that I know I have to flash to IT/IR.  If you go the Natex route keep me posted!

I am still on the fence -- as nwbee said it is basically like getting the m nearly free. The RAM and CPUs would be $326 so the mb ends up costing $149. The AsRock is $338 so you save $189.

That said you give up 2 LANs and you go down from 14 SATA to 6

I don't know if the 2 LANs matter -- I think they do if you want to run pfSense in a VM but I am too new to this to say. I was planning to add pfSense by using some old machines I have so that isn't a big issue either way.

I *would* be very happy with my Natex combo...  if they hadn't neglected to include the two processors undernearth the heatsinks :-)

Quick phone call and they are on their way - great service (despite the little mistake)

Combining that with the Intel P4308 cases from Ebay - I'm going to be a very happy camper soon..

Chris

I am still on the fence -- as nwbee said it is basically like getting the m nearly free. The RAM and CPUs would be $326 so the mb ends up costing $149. The AsRock is $338 so you save $189.

I don't know if the 2 LANs matter -- I think they do if you want to run pfSense in a VM but I am too new to this to say. I was planning to add pfSense by using some old machines I have so that isn't a big issue either way.

The price that you are talking about is for 64gb of ram. This includes 128gb which makes up the other $150. Now you could argue that you don't need that much ram, but it still means that you get technically a free mb.

The price that you are talking about is for 64gb of ram. This includes 128gb which makes up the other $150. Now you could argue that you don't need that much ram, but it still means that you get technically a free mb.

The RAM is less expensive at Natex than it was on e-bay.

You can get 128GB for $196.00 for Samsung -- they also have 128GB of Hynix for $240 but I think the Samsung is the one that matches the specs for the combo.

The CPUs are $65 each.

So $196 + $65 x 2 = $326

The combo deal is $475 so you get the board for $149.