Best docker for my computer backups?

Guest dranani

I'm wanting to set my computers up so they back up to my Unraid server at least once a week. Is there a good docker to use when setting this up?

I feel like I am re-posting this allot today. In short there are a couple of Dockers that can aid with this BUT the best option seems to be rsync from the CLI IF you're not willing to use a VM to manage this for you. A bit of discussion has been had recently.

Please have a read here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47651.msg456741#msg456741

EDIT: If you're NOT using nix machines and perhaps Windows then in that thread (and subsequent links) there is discussion about SyncBack. If you're running a Windows Machine(s) and JUST want to backup your computer to your unRAID Server then the free version of this software (linked in the post above) but also here ...:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

... that will backup your files on your Windows PC's perfectly.

EDIT2: You could ALSO use Windows Imaging Software (IF you want to backup the whole disk and NOT just important files):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files

OR

Get some imaging software such as Acronis Backup: http://www.acronis.com/en-au/

AND once they have completed just transfer these files to your unRAID Server.

I use a rsync gui on Windows (delta copy) to backup my data, mostly user folders and photos to unRaid. From there I back everything up to crash plan.

Works very well for me. Except that initial backup to the cloud takes forever, still 3 months!! to go. I am contemplating to also back up to a USB disk as I am only talking about 4TB of data.

Hope this helps

Roland

• 3 weeks later...

I use a rsync gui on Windows (delta copy) to backup my data, mostly user folders and photos to unRaid. From there I back everything up to crash plan.

Works very well for me. Except that initial backup to the cloud takes forever, still 3 months!! to go. I am contemplating to also back up to a USB disk as I am only talking about 4TB of data.

Hope this helps

Roland

What is your upload speed?

Gus

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know anything about the backup dockers, but I know that personally - more than needing a backup, I fear getting hit with ransomware. What I understand is that to defend against ransomware you need to NOT setup any kind of persistent connection to your Unraid device (e.g. ANY device - ransomware hunts the mapped resources down and encrypts them) if that is where you are storing your backups. I've been busy looking for backup solutions that employ FTP or SFTP to write the backups rather than mapping a file, and also seeking those that do not have a cloud affinity. I just don't want my files on anybody else's server. if you are not interested in cloud based storage, is there any need for any kind of software on Unraid? Just use rsync or a client based software to store backups on your server and then -disconnect- with no drive mappings?

Truth is, it might be a better solution to set up a large USB drive on Unraid that is associated via unassigned devices and write your backups to that - disconnect it (or just unmount) when you're done. That's a lot of bother, but it keeps your backups safe and inaccessible to malware, no matter how attack software evolves.

Don't know anything about the backup dockers, but I know that personally - more than needing a backup, I fear getting hit with ransomware. What I understand is that to defend against ransomware you need to NOT setup any kind of persistent connection to your Unraid device (e.g. ANY device - ransomware hunts the mapped resources down and encrypts them) if that is where you are storing your backups. I've been busy looking for backup solutions that employ FTP or SFTP to write the backups rather than mapping a file, and also seeking those that do not have a cloud affinity. I just don't want my files on anybody else's server. if you are not interested in cloud based storage, is there any need for any kind of software on Unraid? Just use rsync or a client based software to store backups on your server and then -disconnect- with no drive mappings?

Truth is, it might be a better solution to set up a large USB drive on Unraid that is associated via unassigned devices and write your backups to that - disconnect it (or just unmount) when you're done. That's a lot of bother, but it keeps your backups safe and inaccessible to malware, no matter how attack software evolves.

I am interested in unRAID for that exact reason!!!! I'm fumbling about testing unRAID now so hopefully can figure out a way to set up Crashplan to back up onto a special share which only Crashplan can access - in that way, even if the ransomware trawl the network locations, it won't be able to get there.

I am wondering if this is worth pursuing - it is open source and Linux based, so would be a good candidate for a Dockerized app.

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html

BackupPC Features  [ Top ] 

• A clever pooling scheme minimizes disk storage and disk I/O. Identical files across multiple backups of the same or different PCs are stored only once resulting in 

substantial savings in disk storage and disk I/O.

• One example of disk use: 95 latops with each full backup averaging 3.6GB each, and each incremental averaging about 0.3GB. Storing three weekly full backups and

six incremental backups per laptop is around 1200GB of raw data, but because of pooling and compression only 150GB is needed.

• Optional compression support further reducing disk storage. Since only new files (not already pooled) need to be compressed, there is only a modest impact on CPU

time.

• No client-side software is needed. The standard smb protocol is used to extract backup data on WinXX clients. On linux clients, tar over ssh/rsh/nfs is used to backup

the data. With version 2.0.0, rsync is also supported on any client that has rsync or rysncd.

• A powerful web (http/cgi) user interface allows administrators to view log files, configuration, current status and allows users to initiate and cancel backups and

browse and restore files from backups.

• A full set of restore options is supported, including direct restore (via smbclient, tar, or rsync/rsyncd) or downloading a zip or tar file.

• Supports mobile environments where laptops are only intermittently connected to the network and have dynamic IP addresses (DHCP).

• Flexible configuration parameters allow multiple backups to be performed in parallel, specification of which shares to backup, which directories to backup or not

backup, various schedules for full and incremental backups, schedules for email reminders to users and so on. Configuration parameters can be set system-wide or

also on a per-PC basis.

• Users are sent periodic email reminders if their PC has not recently been backed up. Email content, timing and policies are configurable.

• Tested on Linux, Freenix and Solaris hosts, and Linux, Win95, Win98, Win2000 and WinXP clients.

• Detailed documentation.

• Open Source hosted by SourceForge and freely availble under GPL.

Biggest downside is no support for Android or Apple devices is mentioned and the "WinXP" is listed as the last client tested...might not work well with Win 7 or Win 10. All in all, this app appears to be a backup solution that is made for a NAS. I will do some more research on it.

If anybody knows anything about this particular solution, please share.

Crashplan..

It backups to your other server (so not to the cloud), it saves unlimited versions of files if you want, so even if you get hit by a cryptovirus you will always be able to revert back to the previous version..

So, do you just set up a specific drive or share for backups and do you need the Crashplan docker or just put Crashplan on your clients? I am not sure what the Crashplan docker is really for. I get that you have to install the Crashplan app on machines to backup. But I would think after that, it's a matter of pointing to the storage drive/share/whatever and you're done. Unless the reason for the Crashplan DOCKER is to backup your Unraid server or potions of it on another device? Maybe some are paying for cloud storage and they backup their whole Unraid server to Crashplan's Cloud? Or, are you using the Crashplan Docker like it is a "friend's PC" within your network and that's working like a pseudo SFTP to do your local backups? Sorry for so many questions, but I am very interested in deploying a solution like this - I have a slew of devices that need protecting.

Also, when I went to look at PC Magazine's review and looked at customer posts...they are lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks...not happy with Code42 right now. Some are suggesting BackBlaze...but I suspect this issue is with Code42's Cloud - I wouldn't care.

So, do you just set up a specific drive or share for backups and do you need the Crashplan docker or just put Crashplan on your clients? I am not sure what the Crashplan docker is really for. I get that you have to install the Crashplan app on machines to backup. But I would think after that, it's a matter of pointing to the storage drive/share/whatever and you're done. Unless the reason for the Crashplan DOCKER is to backup your Unraid server or potions of it on another device? Maybe some are paying for cloud storage and they backup their whole Unraid server to Crashplan's Cloud? Or, are you using the Crashplan Docker like it is a "friend's PC" within your network and that's working like a pseudo SFTP to do your local backups? Sorry for so many questions, but I am very interested in deploying a solution like this - I have a slew of devices that need protecting.

Also, when I went to look at PC Magazine's review and looked at customer posts...they are lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks...not happy with Code42 right now. Some are suggesting BackBlaze...but I suspect this issue is with Code42's Cloud - I wouldn't care.

I have two unraid servers,  one specifically for the backup... Crashplan docker on both systems, the docker crashplan on the primary backups to the secundary system, on that system is one folder where all the backups end up..

But I would think after that, it's a matter of pointing to the storage drive/share/whatever and you're done.

I think the deal with Crashplan (I'm still playing with it) is that you backup to another instance of Crashplan, rather than a storage location/share.  That instance has access to local storage.  Code42 makes money by letting you backup to their cloud, so it makes sense that their software allows you to backup to a service rather than a location - they aren't in the business of selling client backup software, but rather backup services.

Thanks guys.  I am thinking right now I may put my old drives back into service on a freebie Unraid instance and get myself a nifty backup server. For cheap. I like cheap. I was looking at SyncBackSE and SyncBack Touch - but that would have cost either $30 or $60 to implement on my devices. This one is totally free. Even if I had to get another Basic license for Unraid, that would be way cheaper than any of the other solutions. Do you run parity on your backup systems, or without parity?   

But I would think after that, it's a matter of pointing to the storage drive/share/whatever and you're done.

I think the deal with Crashplan (I'm still playing with it) is that you backup to another instance of Crashplan, rather than a storage location/share.  That instance has access to local storage.  Code42 makes money by letting you backup to their cloud, so it makes sense that their software allows you to backup to a service rather than a location - they aren't in the business of selling client backup software, but rather backup services.

Its both.

With the free crashplan you backup to another crashplan server (of a friend, or your own). If you pay you can backup to their cloud..

• 4 weeks later...

Hope this helps

Roland

You haven't hit a RAM issue yet? I have 16GB in my server but CrashPlan kept hitting a RAM crash issue on me when I was trying to backup to the cloud 10TB. At the time I only had 8GB but still.

are you going to share / support? ????

No.  Not because I don't want to, but because I don't have time to commit to support.... and the only way I can get it working right now is to actually proceed with the registration in the docker, because the Linux install has to update itself AFTER the registration, and that won't get committed to the docker.... so I can't distribute a committed docker image because it already has copyrighted Syncrify code in it.

Someone else might want to tackle it if they want to support it.  But Syncrify has it's own built-in updating in the UI, and there is no direct download of the latest server tarball.

are you going to share / support? ????

No.  Not because I don't want to, but because I don't have time to commit to support.... and the only way I can get it working right now is to actually proceed with the registration in the docker, because the Linux install has to update itself AFTER the registration, and that won't get committed to the docker.... so I can't distribute a committed docker image because it already has copyrighted Syncrify code in it.

Someone else might want to tackle it if they want to support it.  But Syncrify has it's own built-in updating in the UI, and there is no direct download of the latest server tarball.

How about a quick step by step for those willing to take the time to roll their own as you have done?

I have a working Dockerfile for Syncrify now.  I had to wrap a script around it and add that to the image.  The script basically tests some mandatory conditions (like if you have mounted /opt/ to a local path on the host) and it allows Syncrify to be stopped and will automatically restart it without re-running the container (which was necessary for the way Syncrify does its updating).

Because Syncrify updates inside the GUI, the program itself has to be installed on permanent (i.e. local host) storage which is why you MUST mount a local filesystem to /opt/ in the image.  Syncrify will also store its database files there.

You will also need to make sure you are sending the backup's themselves to a mount on the local host.

Finally, when you go through create the admin account in the Syncrify GUI, you must uncheck the option to limit admin access to localhost.

If anyone wants to try to build it and run it on their system, PM me and I'll share it with you.