[Support] Data-Monkey - netdata

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, opentoe said:

First question. Is this docker in forward development and active?

Yes.  Updates to the container (assuming you're using the official one) are issued on a very regular basis

6 minutes ago, opentoe said:

Anyone know why none of my containers are not listed in the right column?

Make sure your template is current (uninstall / reinstall if necessary) and adjust the number if necessary (shouldn't have to, but you never know)

image.thumb.png.d289422b6b22102b1e3a419072e7a5db.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The latest version of this container seems to have some kind of runaway disk-write bug. Some kind of chart temp file? It writes extremely rapidly and doesn't require you to visit the webUI to trigger.

image.png.0786108015f2061c5d24fb664670a7fe.png

image.png.f5d659f39771740eb303c6bba5be19f5.png

The specific problem seems to be log spam of an apc connection error message. I'll report upstream.

image.png.7a7d1b548ecd0db4f5f0e2aface0dd15.png

Edited by Alexstrasza
add reason for problem
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Alexstrasza said:

The latest version of this container seems to have some kind of runaway disk-write bug. Some kind of chart temp file? It writes extremely rapidly and doesn't require you to visit the webUI to trigger.

image.png.0786108015f2061c5d24fb664670a7fe.png

image.png.f5d659f39771740eb303c6bba5be19f5.png

The specific problem seems to be log spam of an apc connection error message. I'll report upstream.

image.png.7a7d1b548ecd0db4f5f0e2aface0dd15.png

Glad someone else was noticing this too. I had it filling up my docker.img, and now it refuses to boot. Hopefully they push an update soon

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 7:27 PM, cobalt027 said:

I am also curious about this. How does the docker template get configured to allow it to claim a node in app.netdata.cloud?

If you log in to netdata cloud you can click on the connect nodes entry at the top of the sidebar, this opens a slide out on the right side of the page where you can select the docker tab, and then copy the three extra params that are shown as new variables in the netdata template

NETDATA_CLAIM_TOKEN
NETDATA_CLAIM_URL
NETDATA_CLAIM_ROOMS

Add these 3 variables as the keys, with the values shown in the cloud UI as the values.

It took a while for the data to show up for me, but it works perfectly for me.

I've got this running well and monitoring my docker containers, but I can't get it to see my customized netdata.conf. In the template I've got:

• host path: /mnt/cache/appdata/netdata/netdata.conf
  • container path: /etc/netdata/netdata.conf
  • mountain as rw

I've edited the netdata.conf in /mnt/cache, but when I go to ip-address:19999/netdata.conf it shows the default file with everything commented out. What do I have wrong?

22 hours ago, roland said:

There seems to be a different way to do this now.

I have not had the chance to try that yet, but see here: 

https://learn.netdata.cloud/docs/agent/packaging/docker/#host-editable-configuration

I guess I'm just too far out of my depth. I followed those instructions, but the netdata.conf I can access on the host is not the netdata.conf that the container is using. If anyone else has or gets this working, I'd greatly appreciate any details on how you did it.

it worked for me.

log on to your unRAID.

keep a copy of your config file.

stop your netdata container

assuming /mnt/cache/appdata/netdata/ is the folder where you store the config.

cd /mnt/cache/appdata/netdata/
mkdir netdataconfig
docker run -d --name netdata_tmp netdata/netdata
docker cp netdata_tmp:/etc/netdata netdataconfig/
docker rm -f netdata_tmp

copy the config file you want to use to 

/mnt/cache/appdata/netdata/netdataconfig/netdata

in the docker configuration change the volume that maps the config file to map to the new config directory 

image.png.c68750cb20a58ba4bfdcb0278ea8178a.png

restart the container and it should be there. 

I only checked the change of the hostname, but that worked fine.

image.png

Edited by roland
remove extra picture
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the proper way to make my chart data persistent? I already bound the dbengine folder into my appdata. Data persists through a restart of the container, but not an update (and updates are very frequent!).

Also, just a heads up- there is a typo in the OP instructions on mounting netdata.conf (it's misspelled as netAdata.conf on both sides)

On 6/3/2016 at 8:14 AM, roland said:
-v '/mnt/cache/appdata/netdata/netadata.conf':'/etc/netdata/netadata.conf':'rw'

• Thanks 1
On 4/11/2022 at 7:27 PM, cobalt027 said:

I am also curious about this. How does the docker template get configured to allow it to claim a node in app.netdata.cloud?

Edit the Docker using the advanced view (toggle in the top-right). Now you can change the Extra Parameters to add the ones missing for Cloud support. Mine looks like this (just replace the redacted bits with the ones shown in your Netdata Cloud account):

--restart unless-stopped --cap-add SYS_PTRACE --security-opt apparmor=unconfined -e NETDATA_CLAIM_TOKEN=###redacted_super_secret_token_value### -e NETDATA_CLAIM_URL=https://app.netdata.cloud -e NETDATA_CLAIM_ROOMS=###redacted_super_secret_room_value### --log-opt max-size=200m --log-opt max-file=1

Edited by Flapstaart
correctly marked code as code
On 4/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, crafty35a said:

What is the proper way to make my chart data persistent? I already bound the dbengine folder into my appdata. Data persists through a restart of the container, but not an update (and updates are very frequent!).

I've also been trying to figure this out. Data will persist through restarts, but it's gone after a container update. Do you have to store the data in an external DB to keep it through updates?

• 3 months later...
On 5/6/2022 at 3:00 AM, naxos said:

I've also been trying to figure this out. Data will persist through restarts, but it's gone after a container update. Do you have to store the data in an external DB to keep it through updates?

+1 I'm having the same problem as well

On 4/30/2022 at 2:21 AM, crafty35a said:

Also, just a heads up- there is a typo in the OP instructions on mounting netdata.conf (it's misspelled as netAdata.conf on both sides)

fixed now, at least I was consistent

Edited by roland
6 hours ago, roland said:

can you please check this and see if that solves it?

I tried that back in April when I first started using Netdata and ran into this issue, and it definitely had no effect. I just changed that setting again and switched back from the stable tag to netdata/netdata to force an update, and lost my history.

I can check to see if history is cleared again for the next pushed update as well, but I'm pretty sure it will be.

This post discusses the opposite problem but it suggests we should be able to map the cache directory to persist the data. 

https://community.netdata.cloud/t/clear-historical-data-from-netdata-docker-container/818

The netdata docker has come a long way since I created this template. Maybe it is time to review the configuration completely. But currently I don't have the time to dig deeper into this. 

Happy to accept pull requests if someone has a better version. 

5 hours ago, roland said:

the first gap was just stop / start and the second was a container update. The history survived an update.

The instructions I had followed were to map the /netdata/dbengine subfolder, not the entire netdata folder -- I will try it the way you show here and let you know if I lose history again tonight. Is this the only change you made from the template defaults?

Also, did you make the "delete obsolete charts files" change or was that not necessary?

Edit - I'm not quite sure how to set this up, the container won't start with this setting ('netdata ERROR : MAIN : Failed to initialize database at /var/cache/netdata/netdata-meta.db, due to "unable to open database file'). Guessing I need to copy the db over manually before starting, but I'm not clear on how to do so

Edited by crafty35a