Dell T330 not showing any drives to unRAID

Hi all,

New to the forums and unRAID, so hi  ;D

Just got a new Dell T330 server, bought to replace an existing HP Microserver for something with more drive slots and more processing power :-) The onboard RAID controller (perc H330) is (and always has been) in HBA mode so is just passing drives through as JBOD. BIOS has sata devices set to AHCI mode.

Then I heard about unRAID and it seems to meet all my requirements.

I've downloaded the trial (6.2.1) and popped it on a brand new Sandisk Ultra 32gb USB stick.

Couldn't get the pasting of the trial license url to work - kept coming up with an error, but manually adding it to the config folder seems to have worked so far...

Booted to it on the Dell T330 which currently has 1 x SSD in drive bay 0 and three HDD in bays 1,2 and 3.

On the "main" tab, every single slot is unassigned with no disks showing at all? Tools/Registration shows "0 attached storage devices" :(

Diagnostics zip attached although I don't think it'll help much :(

Does anyone have [glow=red,2,300]any[/glow] ideas/suggestions that I can try? I really hope I'm not forgetting something obvious?!

unraid-diagnostics-20161008-1317.zip

When you say "no disks showing", have you clicked the arrow to drop down the list for "Disk 1" and nothing is there, or do you mean that all the disk slots indicate no disk?

When you're starting a brand new configuration, you have to actually assign a physical disk (from the drop down), to a logical disk slot (Disk 1, Disk 2, etc.) unRAID doesn't do that for you.

It doesn't do it automatically, because most likely, you want the SSD as your cache drive, and you need to have your largest as the parity drive, but if you have multiple 3TB drives, it leaves it up to you to decide which of them will be cache, etc...

When you say "no disks showing", have you clicked the arrow to drop down the list for "Disk 1" and nothing is there, or do you mean that all the disk slots indicate no disk?

When you're starting a brand new configuration, you have to actually assign a physical disk (from the drop down), to a logical disk slot (Disk 1, Disk 2, etc.) unRAID doesn't do that for you.

It doesn't do it automatically, because most likely, you want the SSD as your cache drive, and you need to have your largest as the parity drive, but if you have multiple 3TB drives, it leaves it up to you to decide which of them will be cache, etc...

Hey Freeman, thanks for replying and trying to help me!

Yes unfortunately that's correct - when I click the drop down arrow hoping to see a list of my SSD+HDD's there's none there at all.

It's like unRAID can't see through the perc H330 onboard controller, even though it's definitely in HBA mode...

Hi all,

Just got a new Dell T330 server, bought to replace an existing HP Microserver for something with more drive slots and more processing power :-) The onboard RAID controller (perc H330) is (and always has been) in HBA mode so is just passing drives through as JBOD. BIOS has sata devices set to AHCI mode.

I've downloaded the trial (6.2.1) and popped it on a brand new Sandisk Ultra 32gb USB stick.

Couldn't get the pasting of the trial license url to work - kept coming up with an error, but manually adding it to the config folder seems to have worked so far...

Booted to it on the Dell T330 which currently has 1 x SSD in drive bay 0 and three HDD in bays 1,2 and 3.

On the "main" tab, every single slot is unassigned with no disks showing at all? Tools/Registration shows "0 attached storage devices" :(

Does anyone have [glow=red,2,300]any[/glow] ideas/suggestions that I can try? I really hope I'm not forgetting something obvious?!

Actually we're working with someone else to try and support that controller.  Should have more info on this early next week.  Send me an email: [email protected] and we'll try and keep you up to date on this.

We have a Power edge at work...*the factory Dell PERC 330 card refused to work in this with Unraid

Tossed in a spare PERC 310 And no problems.  :-X :-X :-[:P

It appears the Dell branded controllers use custom firmware (for Dell) and it's not possible to "flash" them into "IT mode".  The closest you get to JBOD is to configure it so that each device is in single-device raid0.  But we are still looking into this.

Hi all,

Actually we're working with someone else to try and support that controller.  Should have more info on this early next week.  Send me an email: [email protected] and we'll try and keep you up to date on this.

Just emailed you requesting more info and volunteering myself and my server for testing  :)

I'm extremely keen to get the H330 working - seems like an odd decision to not allow flashing to IT mode. Come on Lime-Tech, don't let me down  ;):) :) ;D

We have a Power edge at work...*the factory Dell PERC 330 card refused to work in this with Unraid

Tossed in a spare PERC 310 And no problems.  :-X :-X :-[:P

It appears the Dell branded controllers use custom firmware (for Dell) and it's not possible to "flash" them into "IT mode".  The closest you get to JBOD is to configure it so that each device is in single-device raid0.  But we are still looking into this.

And here I thought I was going mad!    After flashing other cards I thought I had messed something up in this process when after a couple days I still hadn't figured out the issue!

@limetech    official Docker request.    A DOS environment where you pass through a SATA/SAS card and the model info via drop down choices.  Like VM VIRTIO you can download official IT driver or provide your own.  Press play,  and use web Gui VNC to flash the card for use in Unraid. 

@limetech    official Docker request.    A DOS environment where you pass through a SATA/SAS card and the model info via drop down choices.  Like VM VIRTIO you can download official IT driver or provide your own.  Press play,  and use web Gui VNC to flash the card for use in Unraid.

i do not think this is technically possible?  As far as I know docker is only capable of hosting Linux apps.

i do not think this is technically possible?  As far as I know docker is only capable of hosting Linux apps.

To bad.... 

As an update on this, I'm currently running 6 drives in my T330 on the standard backplane and using the PERC H330.

SMART data seems to be working. All devices are passed through correctly and, touch-wood, everything seems to be working perfectly!

So i have to buy a mini mono card this week.  The perc 310 and perc 330 are within 20 bucks of each other.  Did you have to do anything special to the H330 other than set it to hba mode in the dell bios?

As an update on this, I'm currently running 6 drives in my T330 on the standard backplane and using the PERC H330.

SMART data seems to be working. All devices are passed through correctly and, touch-wood, everything seems to be working perfectly!

So i have to buy a mini mono card this week.  The perc 310 and perc 330 are within 20 bucks of each other.  Did you have to do anything special to the H330 other than set it to hba mode in the dell bios?

You would have to wait for an unRAID release that includes the new support.

RobJ,

Does this mean that the Unraid team are planning to release a version soon to officially support the H330? :)

My trial version of 6.3.0-rc1 using the megaraid sas driver provided by Tom M is working perfectly as it should here, albeit that I have to manually load it in each time I reboot the server for anything. I don't suppose there's a way for me to sort of add it to the startup code of my server is there?

Thanks for an absolutely brilliant program!

RobJ,

Does this mean that the Unraid team are planning to release a version soon to officially support the H330? :)

My trial version of 6.3.0-rc1 using the megaraid sas driver provided by Tom M is working perfectly as it should here, albeit that I have to manually load it in each time I reboot the server for anything. I don't suppose there's a way for me to sort of add it to the startup code of my server is there?

As a fellow user, I can't speak for Lime Technology.  All I can say is that is what they usually do, include it in an upcoming release.  It would then be loaded automatically for cards and chipsets it supports.

RobJ,

As a fellow user, I can't speak for Lime Technology.  All I can say is that is what they usually do, include it in an upcoming release.  It would then be loaded automatically for cards and chipsets it supports.

Awesome! Let's hope so then. Fingers crossed!!

• 7 years later...