[Support] cheesemarathons repo

Is anyone able to use minio out of the box on their unraid install right now?  It seems they (minio) are saying that it won't work on unraid's array (/mnt/user) shares as unraid's shfs doesn't support O_Direct.  I have tested this by mapping it to a single /mnt/disk1 so it is hitting the xfs directly, but this limits me to a single drive.  It looks like minio does support adding multiple drives with some config file editing, but it also seems like they expect to be the only things on the drives for them to spread space properly.  I don't THINK for my use that being limited to a single drive will be a problem, but I am wondering if anyone has come up with a more elegant solution.

3 minutes ago, CraziFuzzy said:

Is anyone able to use minio out of the box on their unraid install right now?  It seems they (minio) are saying that it won't work on unraid's array (/mnt/user) shares as unraid's shfs doesn't support O_Direct.  I have tested this by mapping it to a single /mnt/disk1 so it is hitting the xfs directly, but this limits me to a single drive.  It looks like minio does support adding multiple drives with some config file editing, but it also seems like they expect to be the only things on the drives for them to spread space properly.  I don't THINK for my use that being limited to a single drive will be a problem, but I am wondering if anyone has come up with a more elegant solution.

Please see my post linked below @CraziFuzzy
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/54183-support-cheesemarathons-repo/?do=findComment&comment=1201519

On 12/12/2022 at 3:04 AM, cheesemarathon said:

Unfortunately due to changes in Minio, the unRAID file system is no longer supported. The only way to get Minio to work on unRAID now is by mapping a single disk directly or setting up a V-Disk.

Is this on the /config (appdata) mapping?  Why not update the template to directly reference /mnt/cache/appdata instead???

26 minutes ago, Squid said:

Is this on the /config (appdata) mapping?  Why not update the template to directly reference /mnt/cache/appdata instead???

No it's the data directory that is the problem. This post explains the issue.

RELEASE.2022-10-24T18-35-07Z is the last known working version without work arounds. I saw you added a message to the container in CA. Can you add that version tag to the message?

Also how do you see these messages so quick @Squid 😛 do you have an alert on any mention of community applications? 😂

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, ufo56 said:

Are there any alternatives to Minio that work with Unraid ?

I haven't created any templates for unRAID for any other S3 storage services. I don't believe there are any in community applications.

This is the best collection of potential alternatives that may work with unRAID but would need further investigation:

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, cheesemarathon said:

Then from your old minio data directory copy your .minio.sys/config/config.json file and put it in the same location in the new minio data directory. Both containers should now be running and you can use mc cp or mc mirror to move the data to the new minio container.

PAIN! I got this far. What are the commands to copy buckets from 'minio_old' to 'minio'?

image.png.f704c7379bd260b29886ec2d7a0818cc.png

Edited by bigbangus

Ok got it. That's a day I'll never get back but at least I'm back on the latest branch of minio/minio

First you have to make the bucket on the new S3 instance then you have to copy over the bucket contents.

mc mb minio/bucket
mc cp --recursive minio_old/bucket/ minio/bucket/

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, bigbangus said:

Ok got it. That's a day I'll never get back but at least I'm back on the latest branch of minio/minio

First you have to make the bucket on the new S3 instance then you have to copy over the bucket contents.

mc mb minio/bucket
mc cp --recursive minio_old/bucket/ minio/bucket/

appologies that I didn’t get chance to message you the commands! Glad you worked it out though 😊

• Thanks 1
On 7/13/2023 at 8:39 AM, cheesemarathon said:

Which constrainer are you referring to. This thread is for support of all the containers I have written an unRAID template for.

oh my bad, im using your container 'cheesemarathon repo', couldn't get IBRACORP's to work

Edited by thescorpio32
On 7/17/2023 at 11:46 AM, cheesemarathon said:

Yes those are all my templates. You mentioned you couldn't get one to autostart. Which one could you not get to start. You have none of the templates in your screenshot installed.

OH! - I feel terribly bad I haven't realized this isnt a 'ghost' thread - Sorry I was talking about the ghost container 

9 minutes ago, thescorpio32 said:

OH! - I feel terribly bad I haven't realized this isnt a 'ghost' thread - Sorry I was talking about the ghost container 

OK so in the docker screen, tick the switch in the uptime column to enable auto start. Unraid will start the containers in the order they are on the screen. Make sure your database starts before ghost or it will fail to start.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, cheesemarathon said:

OK so in the docker screen, tick the switch in the uptime column to enable auto start. Unraid will start the containers in the order they are on the screen. Make sure your database starts before ghost or it will fail to start.

Thanks, I had the orders messed up (ghost before the DB).

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 9:04 AM, cheesemarathon said:

Unfortunately due to changes in Minio, the unRAID file system is no longer supported. The only way to get Minio to work on unRAID now is by mapping a single disk directly or setting up a V-Disk.

Little bump, but using /mnt/disk1 would be the fix for Mino, right? But how about when using multiple disks? Right now I have a single 14TB disk but I am planning to buy a second for parity. Can't you like also add disk2 to the docker so Minio will use it? Or isn't it that simple? Also, can you select where to store the data when using /mnt/disk1? I obviously don't want Minio to erase stuff on there.

How about a Virtual disk? Would that be real slow?

27 minutes ago, Gerben321 said:

Little bump, but using /mnt/disk1 would be the fix for Mino, right? But how about when using multiple disks? Right now I have a single 14TB disk but I am planning to buy a second for parity. Can't you like also add disk2 to the docker so Minio will use it? Or isn't it that simple? Also, can you select where to store the data when using /mnt/disk1? I obviously don't want Minio to erase stuff on there.

How about a Virtual disk? Would that be real slow?

If I’m honest i don’t have answers to all your questions right now. I’ll spin up an instance of minio and have a play over the next couple of days and see what I can recommend!

1 minute ago, cheesemarathon said:

If I’m honest i don’t have answers to all your questions right now. I’ll spin up an instance of minio and have a play over the next couple of days and see what I can recommend!

Cheers. I'm basically looking for a way to easily host S3 on my unraid machine. Minio seems to be the way to go, so I was disappointed to read it didn't work 'normally'. Alternatives are Garage or SeaweedFS, but little to no info about that regarding usage on Unraid. I'll do some digging on that. Thanks in advance and let me know what you find out :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 1:24 PM, Gerben321 said:

Cheers. I'm basically looking for a way to easily host S3 on my unraid machine. Minio seems to be the way to go, so I was disappointed to read it didn't work 'normally'. Alternatives are Garage or SeaweedFS, but little to no info about that regarding usage on Unraid. I'll do some digging on that. Thanks in advance and let me know what you find out :)

I have had a further play with Minio and I have not been able to get it to run at all now. With the way Minio is being developed, it looks like they are tailoring it to be run on dedicated machines. As such I would not recommend you use it. I did find the last 100% working version somewhere in this thread which you could use if you wish but you wont get any updates. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

If you want to have a play with Minio more then I can give you a few theoretical answers.

Mounting a specific disk `/mnt/disk1` for example to the `/data` directory should allow it to work.

In theory you could mount `/mnt/disk1` to `/disk-1` and `/mnt/disk2` to `/disk-2` etc. You also need to set the environment variable `MINIO_VOLUMES="/data-{1...4}"` I believe another user had a play trying to get this work but did not succeed but in theory it should work. Docs on this type of setup are here.

Also, with all the above minio is mounted to the root of the drives. Minio then could wipe all the data on that drive, so I'd mount it into a minio directory on each drive.

I have no experience with a V-Disk at all, but again you should be able to get it to work similarly to how I have just described but with a V-Disk instead of a physical one. Speed would be very dependant on your system specs.

Thanks for testing. I have managed to get it working. I have mapped /data to /mnt/disk1/minio to prevent it from erasing anything else on the disk. Seems to work just fine.

I have one disk right now, and when I have two disks, I will try to get that working as well. I have read about the {1..4} way of mapping it, so I will give that a try then. Unfortunately I will have to rebuild the data, but that's no disaster since I am using it for a remote Synology NAS backup right now. I will post updates when the time comes with news.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:12 AM, cheesemarathon said:

Application Name: Ghost

Description: Ghost is a fully open source, adaptable platform for building and running a modern online publication

Application Site: docs.ghost.org/docs

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/_/ghost/

Github: https://github.com/TryGhost/Ghost

Install Instructions: https://squishedmooo.com/how-to-setup-a-blog-with-ghost/

I was following the guide to install Ghost using MySQL and I have a couple of questions. Port 3306 in my case is used with MariaDB for other service. Ghost recommends to use MySQL (https://ghost.org/docs/faq/supported-databases/) so I'd like to consider this suggestion. Thus, I had to install MySQL, but on port 3307. However, in the installation instructions, for the Ghost, it says: "Next set the Database User, Database Password and Database Name. We set these up in the first section. If you setup your own MySQL installation then you should know what these values are." I tried using "localip", "localip:3307", "http://localip", "http://localip:3307". I don't know which one is correct. After that, I tried with all of them, and in all cases the Ghost container starts and stops immediately. The logs state:

Error: URL in config must be provided with protocol, eg. "http://my-ghost-blog.com"
    at Object.checkUrlProtocol (/var/lib/ghost/versions/5.62.0/core/shared/config/utils.js:44:15)
    at Object.loadNconf (/var/lib/ghost/versions/5.62.0/core/shared/config/loader.js:56:16)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/var/lib/ghost/versions/5.62.0/core/shared/config/index.js:3:25)
    at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1256:14)
    at Module._extensions..js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1310:10)
    at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1119:32)
    at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:960:12)
    at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1143:19)
    at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:121:18)
    at bootGhost (/var/lib/ghost/versions/5.62.0/core/boot.js:454:18)

According to the tutorial, I followed this step: "The URL can be set to the URL that you wish to access Ghost from. Leave this blank if you are only running this locally." I left it blank, but I also used http://localip and localip.

I'm uncertain if the change in the port for MySQL is related to the error.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks