unRAID 6.4.0 - missing unRAID himself in Plugins

Uwe Loyal

Before 6.4.0 it was under Plugins, now under Tools.
But is you select Tools->Update OS->Check for Udates you find following message:

Plugin Update Check
plugin: checking unRAIDServer.plg ...

Is it still a plugin, then better put it as it was before under Plugins.

Rgds
Uwe Loyal

As far as I can see it's not a defect.  As I recall the change was described during the RC cycle.  To my mind it makes sense, since even if the underlying unRAID update mechanism is a plugin its effect is to update the unRAID system, which is quite a different matter from updating assorted plugins that generally perform peripheral functions. 

It is true that the update process happens via a plugin, but what is being updated is the base OS. Having the base OS listed under plugins was kind of confusing.

Also, moving it to its own area allows the addition of the "branch" option, so you can choose either the "stable" or "next" branches.

This was a design decision made by LT and is not a bug. It is called out specifically in the release notes.

It was a design decision to separate user plugins from the OS. This allows the system to monitor OS updates and user plugin updates independently from each other.

You can set under Notification Settings a schedule how frequent for OS or user plugin updates needs to be checked and be notified when a new version is available.

Furthermore the new OS upgrade page allows the user to select between stable or next releases, something not possible in the past when all was tied together.

It is something new, but over time you get used to it and know where to look.

Archived